Published on June 24, 2011 by K. Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let down
Published on October 24, 2011 by Matt32

5.0 out of 5 stars Halloween Horror Parodies Served Up Ogre Style--A Brief Cartoon Delight, Not A Full Feature, June 24, 2011
This review is from: Scared Shrekless (DVD)
I guess when it comes to holiday programming, you could say that I'm fairly old fashioned. The classics that I grew up with when there weren't as many television options became yearly traditions--by familiarity, if not always quality. Today, with hundreds of stations to select from, kids can be more choosy. And yet, I'm still rarely blown away by the options presented. When Dreamworks, therefore, adopted two of its film franchises into new Halloween spectaculars--I was a bit skeptical. The original "Shrek" was one of my all time beloved movies although the series was beginning to show wear, while "Monsters vs Aliens" may have had its moments but it wasn't a particular favorite of mine. I was, therefore, pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed these two brief specials. "Scared Shrekless" and "Monsters vs Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins From Outer Space" can be purchased individually, but certainly qualify as a better deal in a combination pack if you want both. Note: These aired as 30 minutes specials with commercials--so approximate running times are about 22 minutes each if that makes a difference in your buying choice.

In "Scared Shrekless," the ogre family and their friends are enjoying Shrek's favorite holiday--you guessed it, Halloween! A wager is set forth in which everyone will tell a creepy tale and the last to get scared wins! Then the individual narratives unfold (kind of like a Simpson's Treehouse of Terrors) and classic horror stories get a decidedly unique spin through the land of fairy tales. The program uses the familiar characters to excellent affect and (despite the absence of Eddie Murphy) these two-dimensional creations display remarkable life. The horror parodies are spot-on (I won't spoil anything here) and hilarious. Still creepy, though, this definitely plays well to an older audience. Young kids, as in every "Shrek," will miss the in-jokes and cultural references but should still enjoy the manic pacing. I've got to tell you, I quite loved this special. To me, it was more engaging than the Christmas themed "Shrek The Halls." Still funny, the "Shrek" franchise has survived on showcasing the strength of having a strong circle of family and friends--and that certainly shines here too amidst the lunacy. KGHarris, 6/11.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Halloween Special!, September 29, 2011
This review is from: Scared Shrekless (DVD)
I read previous reviews and was concerned about Eddie Murphy not being the voice of Donkey. I got the DVD anyway and prepared myself for the worst. But I couldn't even tell the difference! The casting director was smart and hired a guy who does spot-on impressions. That said, I think Eddie Murphy is a much better singer, but this guy still sounded like Donkey.

Also, I can see how the movie would be scary for some little kids, especially the last story, but my 4yr old handled it fine.

I absolutely loved the Thriller number.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but scary., September 26, 2011
This review is from: Scared Shrekless (DVD)
My boys are long-time Shrek fans. They own and love every movie. So when we saw this one on a Target shelf, we had to get! They watched it in the car on the way home, and complained that it was kind of scary. I watched it with them a couple of days later, and I can see why they thought it was scary. It is well made and entertaining enough, but beware, it is a bit scary for young kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Halloween Horror Parodies Served Up Ogre Style: A Brief Cartoon Delight, Not A Full Feature, July 4, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let down, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Scared Shrekless (DVD)
I love Shrek and I was so sad to hear they were going to end the series at Shrek Forever After rather than with 5 movies (like originally planned). I bought the short Shrek The Halls Christmas movie and loved it. I really hope they keep Shrek alive, even if it is with shorts like this. Scared Shrekless isn't completely horrible, but I'm very disappointed in it. I paid $10 for a slopped together Halloween special. At best, this should be a $5 DVD.

I will say this, Scared Shrekless isn't for very young or sensitive children. There is no axe murders or anything like that, but there is a lot of material that I myself believe would scare a younger child. As one reviewer said the "Shreckcorist" part of the cartoon was weird and creepy, to a child I can only imagine what it could seem like. The little information booth in Dulop castle has the puppets singing things like "We'll chop off your head then laugh when you're dead" and has a burning priest/judge puppet. If you think you kids can handle it, I suggest watching it with them and gauge their reactions.

There really is no target age for this. Too scary for young kids, to short and goofy for the older ones. It just lacks the magic of Shrek.

On the upside, there are a lot of parts that made me laugh. I enjoyed it to some extent. It wasn't a complete loss and I'm just thankful Shrek is staying alive. However, I felt the need to caution parents for their children's sakes and inform you that it just isn't worth the money. I'd download it or watch it on Netflix (if they have it) anything to keep from being robbed of $10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Collection, May 3, 2014
This review is from: Scared Shrekless (DVD)
Didnt know that there was 2 different series for the halloween Shrek, so I got it and added it to the collection of Shrek.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected., March 9, 2014
This review is from: Scared Shrekless (DVD)
This dvd is very short. It is good. But VERY short. If they had put more on this dvd, it would have been five stars hands down.

5.0 out of 5 stars More reasons to love Donkey!, February 2, 2014
This review is from: Scared Shrekless (DVD)
A very fun holiday treat! A new twist on Halloween favorites. Donkey really makes the Thriller classic! I loved it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Really Short, January 18, 2014
This review is from: Scared Shrekless (DVD)
My fault but I didn't notice how short it was. I thought it was going to be a real movie

4.0 out of 5 stars scared shrekless is just scary enough, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Scared Shrekless (DVD)
scared shrekless is just scary enough
fun, short and family friendly
I hope you want to see it as much as I did

Scared Shrekless
Scared Shrekless by Raman Hui (DVD - 2011)
$15.99 $14.15