5.0 out of 5 stars Just finished and my heart is still pounding......
Published 23 months ago by MrsHarris

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, bad ending.
I absolutly loved the first book there was so much emotion and lessions to be learned about the life of addiction. but the second book was great until the last chapter. I didn't like the ending at all an i skipped the epilogue i was so dissapointed. She is a great writer but I would say for me the ending it the most importain part of a story. the way its ended on how...
Published 17 months ago by Ashley

5.0 out of 5 stars Just finished and my heart is still pounding......, August 2, 2012
This review is from: Scars from a Memoir (The Memoir Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Scars is the perfect follow up to Memoirs... Nicole's story had already touched my life and heart in ways I didn't imagine it would, so I went into Scars rooting for her as if I'd known her my whole life. Ms. Mann did not disappointment in further throwing the readers emotions directly in with the characters and it wasn't long before my hand was over my heart and a heavy feeling in my chest for every struggle, trial and test Nicole still had to endure. I don't do spoilers, but geez get some tissues ready. This is an excellent followup to what I considered to be book of the year, and this entire series has left a place in my heart that is filled with even greater compassion for every life addiction has touched. Job well done Ms. Mann. I certainly look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars I knew Nicoles story wasn't over yet!, August 1, 2012
Marni Mann gives us what we were asking for. I needed to know what happens to Nicole next and this book answers that question in ways I wouldn't have guessed. This book is not as dark and gritty as the first, but maintains the sense of realism that the first book had, like Nicole could be someone we all know and root for. Life may be unpredictable, but Nicole is still fighting for hers. This is a MUST MUST MUST read. Two thumbs up and around the corner. I wish I could write like Marni Mann.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great read, September 20, 2012
A great book... It kept me reading all day till I finished... I would recommend it to anyone who was looking for a interesting book off the beaten path.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, January 17, 2013
As a recovering addict from Boston I felt a lot of the feelings that went on in this book and that Nicole was feeling ! this book is a great example of hope for me. No matter what NO MATTER WHAT I Don't ever have to use again and everything will be worth the risk! People can change and they do I'm living proof God bless

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't wait for this book..., September 5, 2012
If you liked the first book, "Memoirs aren't Fairytales" then you will also love this book that is the continuation of that first book.
I will not give anything away but cried reading this book and finished it in 3 days (couldn't put it down), truth is I hope Marni Mann writes more books because she has a great way of telling a story that can so be someones life...
You might of been agnry with the main character Nicole in the 1st book but you will end up really rooting for her in this book.
The ending was a shocker and I am still thinking of this book and have been done with it for a while.
I urge people to read this book and give it 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A series everyone needs to read, December 24, 2012
L.M. Stull (Lost in a Book) - See all my reviews
"So many times, I had questioned whether I would make it..."

In Scars from a Memoir, the follow-up novel to Marni Mann's spectacular debut, Memoirs Aren't Fairytales, readers follow Nicole Brown as she works her way through rehab and through the pain of her past, trying to pave the way to a better future.

Life isn't easy. And sometimes we find ourselves stumbling down a path we didn't mean to traverse. Nicole's entire life has been a path she never planned to traverse. And just as she learns to let go of the hand that has threatened to strangle every ounce of life from her, she also learns that letting go and coming to peace with it doesn't mean it's gone. Our past - the dark and light bits - is a permanent fixture in our very being. Forever.

Nicole's story is a hard one to read. And you don't have to be a drug addict to relate to it. I'm not a recovering addict, but I am a recovering sufferer of life. Having spent the better part of a decade in a very dark and lonely place. Having made my fair of very bad choices, and having to come to terms with the consequences of those choices, I often found myself sitting back after reading a few chapters and reflecting on my own journey. And the many hiccups along the way.

So many novels give us an unrealistic view of life and paint the picture of a cheery perfect ending, but the hard truth of the matter is... life is anything but a fairytale. And while fairytales are wonderful to read, they don't really give us hope. It's the stories we can relate to, the stories that, although riddled with sadness and doubt, also show us hope and kindness and love. Those are the stories we learn the most from.

Anyone who has crawled around in the pits of despair knows how hard it is to wash the stench of the darkness off. But, while it does take a great deal of effort, it is possible to be clean again. And while there is no escaping our past and no guarantee of what lies ahead, we should never stop trying to be better. To help others. And to find happiness. And love. Nicole reminds us of this.

Nicole's story is one that everyone should read, young and old. For the younger readers, her story serves as a lesson of what can happen. And for the older readers, a reminder that we have survived.

To say that Marni Mann is going places in the literary world (and in life) would be quite an understatement. Her words, and their lessons, I know, will transcend time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound, September 7, 2012
I'm dreading the moment this book ends. I can't wait for Marni to release more works because it's not often I find an author who captivates my attention and grips me to the point of tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted Recovery, February 25, 2013
I loved the first book, and I love this one. Leaving your past doesn't always work. Especially when addiction is involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Ms. Mann!, November 28, 2012
Thank you Marni Mann for extending Nicole Brown's story and allowing us to discover her fate. I'm sure everyone that read Memoirs Aren't Fairytales were curious to know what happened to Nicole. You developed and stayed true to her character so well, I really cared about her as if she were a real person. Well done, I loved it. I will say though, that the ending threw me off and I wish it could have been different.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good follow-up to the first book, October 6, 2012
Denni (Randolph, NJ, United States) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this second book, but I found the first one more believable & riveting. There were just too many twists & turns, especially at the end; and I could have done without the Epilogue.

Rate and Discover Movies