Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 26, 2001
we bought this book when my son was about 3 years old. he immediately memorized every word, every sound we made when we read it together, and every picture. he used to lay in bed "reading" it to everyone (with voice inflections, too!). i still know the book by heart, and it brings back wonderful memories every time i see it. i buy it for every child i know each halloween. enjoy!
on November 4, 2003
My son is just turning 3 and borrowed this book from the library to get him excited about Halloween ...did it ever! We didn't know how much he was taking it in until one night when we were very tired and reading it to him...we stopped to yawn and he filled in the rest of the story in a very scary scary halloween whispered voice! So much fun - we are buying it! GREAT pictures and colors that go right along with a GREAT story! I will probably buy this for all my niece and nephews for next Halloween!
on October 17, 1999
As a teacher, Eve Bunting and Jan Brett are my favorites. The illustrations bring the story to life and it is just scary enough for the very young. In this day and time however; when I read the book to my kindergarten children I usually paraphrase "in praise of Halloween" and "on hallowed Halloween" just because I don't want to upset parents.
on October 26, 2004
I just discovered this book and took it home to my two year old and he loved it.

The writing style is simple and straight forward, and has just the right amount of spookiness- it was neither too scary, nor too mundane. The illustrations are clear and attractive, and fun for a small child. My son enjoyed pointing out the different monsters as we flipped the pages.

As soon as I was finished reading it my son asked me to read it again, and for a children's book, I cannot think of higher praise.
on August 29, 1999
I read this book to my daughter when she was 2. At 6, she still loves it, as it doesn't "scare" her anymore. We bought the audio version and love when the Mother Cat says, "Shhh, my love." It's an annual tradtional reading for us!
on November 28, 2001
I love this little book about Halloween night! It has the usual bright, colorful work that we have come to expect from the talented Jan Brett. Eve Bunting's fun-filled rhymes have just the right amount of spookiness for little ones. The Halloween images are fresh and creative and include the autumn ambiance of the orange Chinese lantern flowers on the cover. You will see a marvelous, flowing ghost, a jaunty dancing devil, a hunched and sauntering werewolf and so much more. Be sure to notice the mummy costume...what kind of kid is in there under those winding cloths? This will be a Halloween treat for any little goblin that you love.
on September 28, 2007
I personally found the writing style a little stilted in the book. For example, "A devil prances, fiery red, with horns asprouting from his head." and "Thunder, thunder up above! 'What is it, mother?' 'Shh, my love! It's just the thump of creature feet, A creature in a winding sheet."
It reads more like a poem, not the way we speak naturally. If you like a poetic style, you'll probably love this book. But if you want a more relaxed book, then don't buy it.
But anyway, having said that, my four year old son liked the book. The pictures are scary, but not gruesome. Probably a little too scary for a toddler.
Illustrated by Jan Brett, of course the pictures are well-done, but to be honest it's not on the same level as her other works. There is not nearly as much detail as she usually puts in. (For example, no borders filled with tiny illustrations.) The art doesn't look much different than most Halloween books.
on September 18, 2014
I like it for kids in 1st grade and higher. It's not that a pre-K student can't appreciate this book, but in reading it to different ages I find that the older kids seem to appreciate it more. Like my kids, if they insist that you read it to them every year, they'll have the book memorized by the second reading and will enjoy it every time it is read to them.

This book is well written and the illustrations are great. So pick one up and read it often to your kids and grand kids. All of you will enjoy it.
on June 15, 2015
I am a teacher and I have used this book with young children at Halloween. It's fun to put the book on a projector where the kids can see the screen and then put the CD into a CD player and it's like the kids are watching a movie! Great investment for educators of young children.
on September 30, 2014
My kids love this book! My parents have to read it to my 2 year old every time she goes over to their house, whether it's Halloween or not. I finally caved and bought myself a copy, and I don't regret it! Such a cute story, and a great way of helping little ones not be too frightened as Halloween approaches.