5.0 out of 5 stars I still know the book by heart...14 years later!
Published on October 26, 2001 by margie

3.0 out of 5 stars Stilted writing, but my son enjoyed it
I personally found the writing style a little stilted in the book. For example, "A devil prances, fiery red, with horns asprouting from his head." and "Thunder, thunder up above! 'What is it, mother?' 'Shh, my love! It's just the thump of creature feet, A creature in a winding sheet."
Published on September 28, 2007 by Jane Doe

5.0 out of 5 stars I still know the book by heart...14 years later!, October 26, 2001
margie (Floral Park, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scary, Scary Halloween (Paperback)
we bought this book when my son was about 3 years old. he immediately memorized every word, every sound we made when we read it together, and every picture. he used to lay in bed "reading" it to everyone (with voice inflections, too!). i still know the book by heart, and it brings back wonderful memories every time i see it. i buy it for every child i know each halloween. enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Intiguing illustrations make students beg for more., October 17, 1999
Becky (Pendleton, SC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scary, Scary Halloween (Hardcover)
As a teacher, Eve Bunting and Jan Brett are my favorites. The illustrations bring the story to life and it is just scary enough for the very young. In this day and time however; when I read the book to my kindergarten children I usually paraphrase "in praise of Halloween" and "on hallowed Halloween" just because I don't want to upset parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars My almost 3 year old memorized in a couple of days!, November 4, 2003
hcabats "hcabats" (Barrington, Rhode Island - USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scary, Scary Halloween (Paperback)
My son is just turning 3 and borrowed this book from the library to get him excited about Halloween ...did it ever! We didn't know how much he was taking it in until one night when we were very tired and reading it to him...we stopped to yawn and he filled in the rest of the story in a very scary scary halloween whispered voice! So much fun - we are buying it! GREAT pictures and colors that go right along with a GREAT story! I will probably buy this for all my niece and nephews for next Halloween!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderfully scary, but not too much, October 26, 2004
C. Thureson (Coralville, IA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scary, Scary Halloween (Paperback)
I just discovered this book and took it home to my two year old and he loved it.

The writing style is simple and straight forward, and has just the right amount of spookiness- it was neither too scary, nor too mundane. The illustrations are clear and attractive, and fun for a small child. My son enjoyed pointing out the different monsters as we flipped the pages.

As soon as I was finished reading it my son asked me to read it again, and for a children's book, I cannot think of higher praise.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful and imaginative for the very-young, August 29, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Scary, Scary Halloween (Hardcover)
I read this book to my daughter when she was 2. At 6, she still loves it, as it doesn't "scare" her anymore. We bought the audio version and love when the Mother Cat says, "Shhh, my love." It's an annual tradtional reading for us!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun Halloween, November 28, 2001
Terrie (Little Chute, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scary, Scary Halloween (Hardcover)
I love this little book about Halloween night! It has the usual bright, colorful work that we have come to expect from the talented Jan Brett. Eve Bunting's fun-filled rhymes have just the right amount of spookiness for little ones. The Halloween images are fresh and creative and include the autumn ambiance of the orange Chinese lantern flowers on the cover. You will see a marvelous, flowing ghost, a jaunty dancing devil, a hunched and sauntering werewolf and so much more. Be sure to notice the mummy costume...what kind of kid is in there under those winding cloths? This will be a Halloween treat for any little goblin that you love.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stilted writing, but my son enjoyed it, September 28, 2007
This review is from: Scary, Scary Halloween (Paperback)
It reads more like a poem, not the way we speak naturally. If you like a poetic style, you'll probably love this book. But if you want a more relaxed book, then don't buy it.
But anyway, having said that, my four year old son liked the book. The pictures are scary, but not gruesome. Probably a little too scary for a toddler.
Illustrated by Jan Brett, of course the pictures are well-done, but to be honest it's not on the same level as her other works. There is not nearly as much detail as she usually puts in. (For example, no borders filled with tiny illustrations.) The art doesn't look much different than most Halloween books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frightening Fun, October 21, 2007
This review is from: Scary, Scary Halloween (Paperback)
This delightful little book has all the charm and spookiness of the holiday it represents. As a twenty-two year-old adult, I think this book has equal appeal for adults and children.

Jan Brett's luscious, beautiful pictures perfectly depict the gorgeous darkness of Halloween night and the vibrant colors of different costumes (or are they really monsters?) Accompanied with these pictures are the rhymes of Eve Bunting's wonderful poem, with words easy enough for kids to understand but spooky enough to give even adults a chill.

Both the poem and the pictures, like Halloween, are fittingly creepy and even haunting while still being fun. Together, they make this book the perfect package for anyone wanting to enjoy the true essence of all Hallow's Eve. I earnestly invite you to enjoy this, my dears (polishes fang, retracts claws).

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's favorite Halloween book, December 16, 2008
Here it is, a week before Christmas, and my son (4) is still pulling this book out for me to read it to him! He is in love with it. The illustrations are GORGEOUS! His favorite part is the revelation of whom is living under the porch, and the narration as to why they are so afraid on Halloween is fun. My older children (9 and 11) even enjoy reading this to their younger brother. It is a big hit in our house.

5.0 out of 5 stars glowing green eyes, November 25, 2011
This review is from: Scary, Scary Halloween (Paperback)
Glowing green eyes peer out from the dark at the strand halloween scene. Not all that scary, but very well done and pages are full of life. My four year old loves it. She always says 'They were just kitties all along.'

Scary, Scary Halloween
Scary, Scary Halloween by Eve Bunting (Paperback - September 19, 1988)
$6.99