Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on March 4, 2013
I got this on vinyl, not from amazon but from a store. The problem I found is that whoever produced the disc may not have been too bright.

The first problem you notice isn't about the disc, but the content. "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" present on the album is not the same studio recording that comes with the digital or cd copy. I understand electro music always varies (especially live) but this version present on the album is extremely disappointing. As anyone that's listened to the song knows the 'drops' (I hate using that word) have a set progression, occasionally fading back to the melody present outside of the drop, and then returning to the bass/wobble/stuff. The problem is on vinyl this progression is entirely lost, it simply sounds as though the song is skipping (it's not, I tried two copies to be sure) around and has no 'flow' to it whatsoever. This song is not enjoyable to listen to on vinyl and I have no idea why this version was included on the album. The downloadable copy that comes with the album is the normal, good version of the song, strangely enough. And all of the other songs on the album are normal transfers.

The second problem with the album is that whoever produced it Messed up the pacing near the center, and the album gets progressively slower as you reach the middle tracks. All of the songs are noticeably slowed near the center and as such, the pitch is off. This is not my turntable changing speed, but the tracks themselves have been fabricated incorrectly.

Overall, I don't even really like skrillex all that much, but I liked these songs and bought the vinyl because I was curious to what dub would sound like on vinyl. I was disappointed that my favorite song on the album was not correct and also disappointed that the other songs do not play correctly. That said, I still listen through it every once in a while, because the clean, warm versions of the song produced by the vinyl medium are quite interesting. Mixing hard electro with vinyl is something everyone should try, however you should probably go with another album.
on November 18, 2015
While I really enjoy the music of Skrillex. this album was pretty disappointing. I expected more remarkable tracks outside of the two I'd already heard, but I just didn't find anything else to wow me beyond those, and the decent opener. I'm not sure I'd seek out more music from Skrillex to be honest. A lot of the brightest spots on this album are repeated to the point that I'm sick of them, and there just is not enough material here.
on December 26, 2010
So I bought this album on iTunes (don't do it unless you got a gift card like I did, it's $7.99 there). Lemme just say, this album hits hard and sounds freaking amazing. Its not like other electronica, it's dirty and hard. The best songs are definitely "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" or "Rock 'n' Roll (Will Take You to the Mountain)." I'd say it was worth the $7.99 I paid for it so pick this up at $5.99 and crank up the volume.

EDIT: I've been listening to this a fair amount lately and I'd like to add that several of the other songs are good. I have taken a liking to "Scatta" as of late. Theres a mix of all sorts of music. "Scatta" is a rap song thrown in with the dubstep and electronica music. Some of it seems more rock but its all awesome.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 15, 2011
The Skrillex "Scary Monsters and Nice Spirits" CD appeared on my Amazon recommendations list several times, perhaps because I buy a lot of Deadmau5 and Daft Punk discs. In any case, after seeing it there a number of times my curiosity got the best of me and I bought it. I have mixed feelings about the disc. I both like it and don't like it, and you can't get any more mixed than that.

First, the production quality is interesting. The disc has a very pronounced stereo separation in places. At times, it seems as if all of the midrange is coming out of the right speakers (facing the set) and the bass coming out of the opposite side is just overwhelming. I might add that my powered subwoofer is on the left, and that probably adds to it. I might also add that my reproduction equipment is a 100 watt per channel stereo system with two three-way speakers including 12" woofers. In places, the bass is just totally overwhelming. It's so intrusive, that I can only play my stereo at relatively low levels. I don't mind higher levels, but bass sounds have a penetrating quality and will have the neighbors over for a not-so-friendly discussion regarding volume. I live in a separate house, I should add. But, alas, a lot of the recording is soft and mellow and I'd enjoy having it on at a higher level. Well, you can't have one without the other unless you're adept with the volume control. Strange mix. This disc has one of the widest dynamic ranges of any disc in my collection, and that is not necessarily a good feature.

The ""Scary Monsters and nice spirits" Theme appears on the disc again and again, too much so in my opinion. Some of the songs are quite pleasant, soft and mellow and quit nicely produced. Others are a strange mixture of almost random noises, distorted voices and overwhelming bass. For me, it's just an incongruent mixture.

I had heard Skrillex music before, but didn't realize it. There is a TV commercial featuring a fellow kayaking down a waterfall to the music. You know, I've seen the commercial dozens of times and I can't even remember what they're advertising.

Gary Peterson
on April 7, 2015
Skrillex's EP Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites is the kind of music that I dreamed of making twenty years ago. Remember those old commercials that showed one human face merging and changing into another face, then into another? At the time I imagined what it would be like to do that with sound and music--using a computer program to merge different sounds into new, unique sounds. Like what if you could take John Lennon's voice and merge it with Mick Jagger's voice? And then take the different permutaions of this new voice and turn it into a drum track? And then sonically twist that drum line into a chop-ass guitar solo? And on and on, all layered, to a great propulsive rock/rap fusion, creating found melodies out of mashed up vocal cuts.

That's exactly what young Mr. Skrillex has done here, and yet, so much more. Different genres are mixed up in a Waring Blender, then set to full tilt actual SONGS, with musical bridges, verses and choruses. This is great headbanging EDM that you can sing to with great metal riffs intercut with moments of transcendent beauty.

I've seen Skrillex compared to Deadmaus, but there is really no comparison. Deadmaus is more like pleasant drone music, while Skrillex is high energy, fun, propulsive beats that you can run to, board to, dance to, or whatever. MY favorite cuts: KILL EVERYBODY(I WANT TO EAT YOUR HEART) (all 3 mixes), and Scary Monsters. Two thumbs up, dude.
on May 14, 2013
Skrillex should not be called a dubstep artist. He should have his own genre or something. It is not for me, I prefer the true dubstep music that is more than constant drops and machine cranks the whole time.
on July 22, 2013
Too many remixes of the same songs over and over again on this album, not enough original work. you pay for really 4 songs on the whole album. it's okay but want more originals on a full lengh album.
on May 6, 2011
I purchased this EP after stumbling upon the title track and was equally impressed by the entire thing altogether -- Skrillex (Sonny Moore) clearly has has a knack for extremely well polished production and instantly catchy, almost pop-like melodies. His tracks roar with a huge over-the-top sound which typically consists of bobbing dubstep beats, sharp buzzsaw synths, and vocals from all different sources, ranging from obscure samples to guest vocalists to Sonny's own voice. At the same time, its never overwhelming. Even the three remixes are well worth their place on the EP. They aren't there simply to fill disc space either; Quite the contrary! They're actually as good as the originals. The Zedd Remix of "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" has to be my personal favorite, which turns said track into nervous fidget house music. Its epicness that matches the original in its own way. In short, this is modern electronic dance music at its finest. You won't be disappointed!
on December 26, 2010
Skrillex's production quality is unmatched. Listen to this album in the highest quality you can find (~320 kbps) and with the best headphones/speakers you can find (for me it's the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10), and his production will really stand out. Skrillex is incredibly talented and utilizes a highly unique sound. Part of his talent is his ability to draw from all forms of music- Electro, Dubstep, Rap (see: Scatta), Pop (see: Lady Gaga remixes), and his metal (see: The Sadness will never end) background to form an amazing and intense sound. Skrillex does not judge what is good music or not- he sees music as neutrally as possible, mixes and melds all these styles on the platform that is electro. In order to produce the trebles, mids, and bass as cleanly as he does, there is no substitute but a lot of time and effort. Get the best quality Skrillex you can find, combine that with good speakers/headphones, and you will have one heck of a time
on December 29, 2011
This album is solid all the way through. Great price. If you like DeadMou5 you will like this guy, he really knows what he's doing. Deep base and sick beats all the way through. He has hit the mainstream as of lately but is quickly rising as one of the best artists of his genre.