Customer Discussions > The Time Traveler's Wife forum

Scene in the Kitchen?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 1, 2009 5:13:57 PM PDT
Lynn La says:
I have a question when Clare, Henry, Gomez and his wife are having a little dinner party. At the end, an older Henry lands in their kitchen with glass in his body. (This is also the scene where Henry snaps at Gomez's wife just a little, saying he wants to keep a moderate amount of decency by covering his genitals with a cloth).

Future Henry disappears, leaving the glass in him behind. he is badly wounded and is bleeding everywhere. What is this Henry that we see? I don't remember if it's ever addressed in the future? Is it when he gets shot? If so, shouldn't they mention he has no feet and also, what's up with the glass?! Is it another time he is hurt, then?

Posted on May 7, 2009 1:31:12 PM PDT
M. Phillips says:
I don't have the book with me to reference it for you but they do address it later on when that future Henry goes home all bloody.

Posted on Jul 13, 2009 9:20:19 AM PDT
Susan Knox says:
No, they never explained the glass-wounded Henry. Just as they didn't fully explain the fatal shot. I mean, I got it, but would have loved more depth on that incident. Was he there twice, once shot and once not?

Posted on Sep 4, 2009 8:16:50 PM PDT
I think it was just an example of how Henry's time traveling was becoming dangerous. Clare, or Henry, says something like, "this one felt different." The author also describes Henry as physically beat up- his hair is almost all white, his colleagues at the library think he's dying...I think it was just some foreshadowing that the end was near.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2009 8:33:21 PM PDT
Oh good, I'm not the only one. This was one of the biggest questions I had at the end of the book and thought maybe I had missed something. No matter the point she was trying to make, that was a huge oversight in my opinion.

Posted on Sep 21, 2009 8:51:06 AM PDT
Yes, I had the exact same question! I mean, it seems as if Henry is there with Clare's brother and father looking at the blood stain, but I never understood why he was there in two forms. This was a bit muddled, and being that it is so central to the plot, it really bothered me.

Posted on Oct 13, 2009 9:44:47 AM PDT
Just a thought here and I may be wrong but could it be when Henry's having the sleep study? Doesn't he travel and come back bloody? I vaguely remember a tech in the scene saying he's covered in blood.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2009 7:02:08 PM PDT
M. Ritchplon says:
I went and read the sleep study chapter again and I don't think it was tied to the broken glass incident. It describes his dreams and then he time travels to a snowy field and is bleeding. When he gets back the lab the techs say he's pulled his electrodes out. I think that's where the blood came from, when he time traveled the elecrodes stayed and therefore he had small wounds where they had been. I think it's as M. D. Mulhurn says above it just demonstrates that the older Henry's time travel is getting more dangerous. I never could find anything else in the book to tie to the glass breaking incident.

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 7:22:34 PM PDT
Oh, OK. It had been a while. That was what I was trying to make sense of, the bleeding during the study. I can't seem to remember the glass either. Clare does mention after they're married I think that Henry does sometimes come home beaten or bloody so that might just be an example.

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 4:46:25 PM PST
Eric Edwards says:
The glass came from furniture that Henry fell on. I think that then he went to the sleep study after that. Henry seems to be able to take food and drink with him when he travels and probably things like tooth fillings etc. Wouldn't he be able to put various items (money, some medicine he needs, pieces of gold ) in a balloon and swallow them partially and pull it out with a piece of string or let it go out the other way? Or at least a small lock picking rod like Harry Houdini sometimes kept down his throat?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2010 2:15:20 PM PST
Nope. The book specifically references a tooth Henry had yanked because he kept losing the filling when time travelling.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2010 10:36:55 PM PDT
Joe Egg says:
It is well known in scientific circles that only glass and the one hundred thousand chemical compounds that make up a human body can travel through time. Balloons and gold cannot. Too bad money isn't made out of glass, right? Oh, and if you get a penicillin shot right before you travel in time, that will go through, too. As will the Hostess Twinky you ate this morning. But not gold and not lock picks. Those are not on the accepted list. It's science, my friend.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2010 12:05:12 PM PDT
MB15213 says:
When Henry is fatally shot in the field behind Clare's childhood home, two Henrys are there.

One has traveled there from sometime in between Alma's birth and the amputation. This Henry watches the incident and, unlike Clare's father and brother, realizes what has happened when the second Henry briefly appears and is mistaken for a deer and shot.

The second Henry (the one who is shot) is the one who calls Clare's name. But when she gets out of bed and runs down to the yard, it's the first Henry who smiles reassuringly at her when her father and brother tell her to go back to bed because the shot/dying Henry has disappeared by the time she makes it down there.

So, yes, he was there twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2010 9:10:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2010 9:24:14 PM PDT
"It is well known in scientific circles that only glass and the one hundred thousand chemical compounds that make up a human body can travel through time. Balloons and gold cannot. Too bad money isn't made out of glass, right? Oh, and if you get a penicillin shot right before you travel in time, that will go through, too. As will the Hostess Twinky you ate this morning. But not gold and not lock picks. Those are not on the accepted list. It's science, my friend."

OK. OK. I'm smiling!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  May 1, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 15, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Time Traveler's Wife (Vintage Magic)
Time Traveler's Wife (Vintage Magic) by Audrey Niffenegger (Paperback - March 1, 2010)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (2,574)