5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacation Planning Tool

Published on January 17, 2006 by C. B. Manges

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacation Planning Tool, June 27, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Scenic Driving Utah (Scenic Driving Series) (Paperback)
In 2002, I knew that we wanted to tour through Utah and this book was invaluable in planning the trip. I noted all the areas that we wanted to see, plotted it on the map and used this guidebook to determine the best route. A big part of my decision-making was based upon the author's descriptions of scenery and drives. We were so thrilled with our trip that we returned in 2004.
Inside the book were small "off the beaten path" dirt roads that were more than worth the price of the book. If they hadn't been mentioned in the book, I would not have known about them.
I definitely recommmend this book if you are planning a vacation to Utah.

3.0 out of 5 stars There's A New Edition, January 17, 2006
C. B. Manges (Westsylvania, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scenic Driving Utah (Scenic Driving Series) (Paperback)
I waited for more than three months while Amazon kept telling me that they would ship this title soon. Finally, I shelled out fourteen bucks for a used copy just before discovering that there is a new, second edition, revised by the author Christy Karras. So, if you want this title, don't mess with this one. Search Amazon for the new author and buy the up to date issue. I hope this was helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Caution needed!, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Scenic Driving Utah (Scenic Driving Series) (Paperback)
The authors have done a good job describing the history and scenery along the roads, but caution is needed when following the travel descriptions. This severely lowers my rating. The scenic drives described are all worthwhile; the fatal flaw is the mapping. In some cases the "heavy dashed line" (scenic side trips) follows paved main highways, but in other cases the marked side trip follows unpaved, limited-maintenance roads. Several of these "sidetrips" are on native dirt road surfaces that can become absolutely impassable after a heavy rain. Other described routes go over mountain sections that are not plowed and become impassable in winter. Worse, the maps in this book also show side loops and spur 'roads' that are actually serious four-wheel drive off-highway routes totally unsuitable for passenger cars. The text and map legend do not adequately warn of these issues.

I have personally driven nearly all the roads in the book, some multiple times a year. My warning is from first-hand experience assisting lost and stranded tourists. Use the book with a large dose of common sense. If either the road or weather looks bad don't push on farther.

4.0 out of 5 stars Visiting Utah, July 12, 2000
This review is from: Scenic Driving Utah (Scenic Driving Series) (Paperback)
Good book- Planning to go to Utah for honeymoon-possibly Arches and Canyonlands or Escalante I need to decide though where I am going first before I buy the book-Wish that I could've seen more of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon-too bad there was a fire in progress

Scenic Driving Utah (Scenic Driving Series)
Scenic Driving Utah (Scenic Driving Series) by Joe Bensen (Paperback - September 1, 1996)
Used & New from: $1.99