5.0 out of 5 stars A Gorgeous Virtual Train Adventure On My Blu-Ray Machine!
Published on March 1, 2010 by Bold Consumer

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a commercial for a vacation than anything else
Published on October 5, 2012 by James Burnwood

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gorgeous Virtual Train Adventure On My Blu-Ray Machine!, March 1, 2010
This review is from: Scenic National Parks: Great Train Rides [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I put this in the machine thinking I would just play it in the background while I was reading a book, but I watched every second of it. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen! Maybe I was just in the mood for this kind of a virtual adventure. It was probably some form of escapism. I forgot where I was and enjoyed traveling to some far-away places that were worth visiting.

During the train segments, I felt like I was on those trains. At times I was glad I wasn't on some of them because I would have been terrified at the long and extremely high bridges. Excellent photography! I've never been to Alaska and had no idea just how beautiful it was. I knew about most of the other parks and had visited them, but not from the viewpoint shown on this DVD.

I kept wishing all the train lovers in my family could see it.

After I finished the "Train" part, I thought I would go fix some lunch and let it continue into the lodge and hotel portion of the DVD, because that sounded pretty boring. It wasn't. I had to come back in and start that section over again and watched every second of it too. Some of the hotels took 3 hours riding pack-mules to get to and others could only be reached by long boat rides. One hotel overlooked Old Faithful, and the inside of it was worthy of a novel being written about it.

If this DVD is an example of the Scenic National Parks DVDs, I've got to have more of them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice synopsis of each trip, February 1, 2010
I got this for my 79 year old dad for a Christmas gift, and he really enjoyed it. He'd been on one of the trips, so it was a lot of fun for him to see the train again. I wish each trip was a little 'meatier' and allowed more time to see the inside of the train, the view, etc. But overall, it was a nice little show and gave me a couple of good ideas about possible future trips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second Best to Being There, January 1, 2011
Bear844 (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This video in Blu-Ray is vivid and gorgeous. It takes you places you may find hard to do for real and when it is finished, you feel like you were reliving your trip all over again. It is a good addition to my collection and fulfills my interest in both travel to places that would be almost impossible for me to get to and adds the excitement of riding the rails once again. I have probably missed all opportunities to travel this extensively but it does provide a second best experience that is exhilarating and very enjoyable. Perhaps I give it only 4 stars so that I may reserve one for myself in hopes of doing it for real. I grew up in the 50's when steam was both at it's zenith and near it's end. Some sweet memories there! Of course, doing it for real is hard to beat but this brings you about as close as you can get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Train Rides (BluRay), July 24, 2009
The filming is outstanding especially when viewed on a high quality high definition big screen monitor. This Blu Ray DVD covers outstanding train rides that can be taken today. This disc should not be missed by anyone interested in outstanding train travel today.

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a commercial for a vacation than anything else, October 5, 2012
I had hoped this would be a nice film showing lots of scenery on the train rides. Something I could watch over and over again or even on a loop for a couple of hours. Unfortunately it's more of a commercial documentary, something you might see playing in gift shop whilst you were on vacation there. There seem to be more shots of inside the buffet section of trains than any thing else, and sadly due the voice over narration explaining everything constantly seen on screen (and it never stops) it's unlikely this will get watched more than once.

A shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this if you travel, June 8, 2014
my grandson loves trains he has watched this movie so many times it makes you feel like you are on the train

3.0 out of 5 stars was hoping to see more trains, March 24, 2014
I bought this for my toddlers to watch. They expected to see trains and saw more interviews and park information than trains.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough of trains or national parks., June 15, 2013
Marvin R. Doering (Lemay, Missouri USA) - See all my reviews
I love both trains and national parks, but I don't feel that this video did either much justice. There wasn't much detail about the trains and precious little detail about the parks they serve. Pretty shots but could have been so much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Trains, March 27, 2013
After working on these for 32 years I never get bored with good quality videos. This Blu-Ray is superb in detail and adventure. We plan to board the Grand Canyon tour this spring and maybe the White Pass before I get too old and cripple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good mix of train and stops., February 7, 2013
Five different train rides, plus a whole second section of the dvd exploring some amazing park accommodations. This gave me a good feel for whether or not such a vacation would be a good fit. I was sorry to learn that at least one of these trains has gone out of service. So... here is a beautiful piece of history.

Scenic National Parks: Great Train Rides [Blu-ray]
Scenic National Parks: Great Train Rides [Blu-ray] by Bellevue Entertainment (Blu-ray - 2009)
$27.99 $13.84