Scent of Magic (Healer)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$11.34 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 4, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I liked Maria V Snyder's 'Poison' series (though it too lagged in the middle) so I rushed out to buy the 'Glass' series only to be very disappointed (in fact I didn't even finish the third). I thought she had redeemed herself with the new 'Healers' series as I really liked the first one (Touch of Magic) but then along came number 2.

It wasn't awful (I still like the main characters) but nothing really happened. The main problem is that Kerrick and Avry spend almost the entire book apart, have fairly mundane adventure and don't even develop as characters. In fact the whole plot stalls and very little is added to what we already knew about the world and those who live there. The few new characters introduced end up being pretty inconsequential and most of new development could have been covered in a chapter or two and the rest is just filler!

Note to authors - all series don't have to trilogies! Two good books are better than 3 dragged out ones. Even financially in the long run .. I'm not sure I'll other with number 3 in this series either!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Paperback
SCENT OF MAGIC by Maria V. Snyder's is the second instalment of the Healer series. This author has once again put forth such vivid descriptions, beautiful and captivating words that will not only draw you into the pages but also give us some wonderful characters that you will easily enjoy.

Maria creates sassy characters - strong main leads, and an array of wonderful supporting characters to blend throughout this story. Her characters are always filled with such depth; you cannot help but like them. More so in this instalment as we see into Kerricks thoughts.

In Scent of magic we see Kerrick's pov and also Avry's which was nice to see. The perspective of characters changed but also turned the read into an interesting change for me the reader. We see both sides, and loving Kerrick's character this was an added bonus for me. The only thing I would have enjoyed more of is more time with Avry and Kerrick, I found it was a little short on the romance and page time - but none the less still enjoyed this story.

This story is jam packed with action, friendship and love, suspense, dangerous liaisons, a little bit of romance for all the readers whom enjoy a little heart flutter, and many emotions entwined within this captivating world that Ms Synder has created.

The ending will leave you gasping for more with its shocking cliff-hanger and have you eagerly flying to the net to find out when the next instalment is due out loll.

A great second instalment into this series I can't wait for the next!!!!!!!!!!

A big thanks to Harlequin Teen Australia for sending me an ARC copy of this book. This review is copyrighted, owned by me and cannot be copied or shared without my permission except by the author or publisher for promotion purpose
on December 18, 2012
Format: Paperback
I gave the first book in this series, Touch of Power, a rave review, and I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this book, Scent of Magic, ever since. I thought Touch of Power was brilliant; it had fantastic world building, a flawless storyline, and awesome characters. I truly didn't think Maria V. Snyder could outdo herself, but she has. Scent of Magic was even better than its predecessor.

As with my review of the first book, I can't delve deeply into the story and why I loved it so much without giving up major spoilers (especially if you haven't read Touch of Power yet)... I will say that Scent of Magic picks up right where Touch of Power left off, and the story unfolds in beautifully unexpected ways. Avry, Kerrick, and his men are set on taking down the evil (and VERY sexy) King Tohon and his army of dead (Hi. Zombies in a High Fantasy? Yes, please!). They align themselves with some rather unexpected people and action, adventure, magic, romance, and intrigue ensue.

Where the world building and lush descriptions played such a major role in the first book, characterization and emotion play the central roles here. The settings are still described in Maria's brilliant way, but I got so much more from the characters this time, particularly Avry. The relationships are tangled and messy, and things are never what they seem. Lots of questions are answered, and many more arise. The plot and pacing were spot-on, and I had a very difficult time putting this book down to satisfy even my basic needs.

There is nothing remotely predictable in this book, and I flew through it, never even realizing it was 400 pages until the end. This book has it all, and I cannot wait until the third book in the Healer series, Taste of Death, comes out in 2014. I will be begging the publicists at Harlequin MIRA for a copy, for sure!

If you have not picked up Touch of Power yet, I have to ask you... What the hell are you waiting for? If you have read it, know that Scent of Magic is even better, so you should run right out to get it. Today. That is all.

My Rating: 5 stars

Grade Level Recommendation: There are a few hot and heavy scenes in this book, and there is some mention of sex. There is also a good bit of violence. I would say this is most appropriate for MS readers and up. Grades 6 and up (ages 11 ).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Kindle Edition
It's been 5 years since I first read Maria Snyder's Poison Study series and I still count that as one of my favorite series ever. I've read some of her other books but none of them lived up to my expectations until this series. I have loved the Healer series.

Scent of Magic was not a one sitting read. In fact I think it took me a couple weeks to get through this one. Odd because I loved it but it was one I could put down and come back to. Perhaps because there were parts of the story that were a little slow so I could set it aside during those times and wasn't rushing to get back to find out what happened next. Ultimately this did not detract from my love of the story.

There is so much to love about this series. The characters, the story line, the setting, the humor, the romance, the bad guys... They are such great books.

Scent of Magic is book 2 and picks up right after the first book ends. I love this magical world that Maria created. I adore Avry and Kerrick as well as their sidekicks Flea, Belen, Quain & Loren.

I would classify these books as adult instead of young adult. I've seen it shelved as young adult on Goodreads but that doesn't seem like a good fit. I was completely drawn into the story but am not sure young teen readers would appreciate the characters and plot as much as I did. The writing is well done and has lot of depth to it. Poison Study is still my favorite series by Maria but this is a close second.

Rating: 5 Stars I loved it

Content: Some language and implied sex

Source: Audible.com download
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 31, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Something about Maria V. Snyder's books is magical. How she weaves together action, romance and a complex and compelling plot against a fantastic and somewhat classic fantasy setting just works. It's hard to explain in writing, but never have I read another author that captures that sense of magic and wonder in fantasy novels that Snyder does. Something about reading her books takes me back to middle school and high school, where I attempted to write my own high fantasy novels and pretty much spent my entire life living in a completely different world. Snyder captures that same excitement in every book she writes.

In Scent of Magic, the second book in Snyder's Healer series (sequel to Touch of Power), Avry of Kazan, the last Healer in all of the Fifteen Realms, is considered dead, which can allow her to move as she pleases -and to find her sister while helping to fight against the evil Tohon from taking over. Meanwhile, Kerrick, Avry's partner in crime and romance, returns to help his country through battle with King Tohon. Avry is seemingly alone in the major conflict that is brewing, but it's still up to her to help save the world.

Though I admit that Touch of Power, I thought, was little bit of a weaker entry into Snyder's novels, I felt like Scent of Magic completely made up for that. Things seemed to be a little more focused here and have more direction, and Synder's action-packed and strong writing shines through on every page. And, this time, the characterization seemed to come through more, as Avry is placed in more serious situations than ever before. It was also really interesting to follow Kerrick and Avry on their separate paths, as it seemed to really open up the world more, add tension and help give the reader a greater prospective of the weight of everything that was going on.

Scent of Magic helped to re-establish Snyder as the magical writer I know that she is. It's a bright and delightful novel packed with plenty of great detail, characterization, action and romance -not to mention classic YA fantasy that pales every other book in the genre.
on January 2, 2013
Format: Paperback
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Although, like other readers, I was discouraged at the beginning by the perspective switch between Avry and Kerrick, I appreciated that Maria V. Snyder tried something different to keep the reader involved in Avry and Kerrick's separate stores, since they spend almost the entire book apart. I thought this book was even more jam-packed with action, suspense, and cliff-hangers than Touch of Power, constantly twisting and turning me along with Avry and Kerrick! It did lack some of the calm, more peaceful charm of its predecessor, the "down-time" that Avry and the gang experienced between battles or missions that show-cased the personalities of the characters more than strategy or action. However, I liked that Scent of Magic was so different from Touch of Power, because I found myself seeing it as a dynamic novel that can really hold its own, not just a filler book. Highly recommended to all Maria V. Snyder/fantasy lovers!!!
on January 1, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
After reading Touch of Power and just completely, utterly loving it I knew I had to read Scent of Power. Maria V. Snyder writes such wonderful stories with the right amounts of action and romance and such captivating characters; you just lose yourself in their world while you are reading.

Now this is a continuation of Avery and Kerrick's story. Unfortunately for most of the book they have to travel two different paths that lead them on very different adventures. Now while I understand the reasons behind this, what I did not like is the way the story switched from Avery to Kerrick and back again.

There are a lot of plot twists I wasn't expecting and I love seeing Avery become more brave and sure about herself in her world. She is a strong female character and yet she still has strong emotions and feelings for the people around her.

The only thing that makes me really sad is that this book ends with such a huge cliffhanger and we won't get to find out what happens for another year. How am I going to survive!!
on February 12, 2013
This review will contain spoilers from Book # 1: Touch of Power

The end of Touch of Power left us with the death of Avry as a result of healing Prince Ryne of the plague. Then she was brought back to life. Now you're caught up.

In Scent of Magic, Tohon is on a destructive murderous mission to become ruler of the 15 realms, leading his army of dead to crush anyone who gets in his way. Taking advantage of everyone thinking she's dead, Avry infiltrates Jael's camp to get information and look out for Tohon spies. She's SUPPOSED to be laying low as she promised Kerrick. But that doesn't work out so well. Meanwhile Kerrick goes back to Ryne's camp to assist with war plans and runs into some difficulties of his own.

As far as sequels go, this one was pretty good. I didn't like it AS much as Touch of Power but it's a must read for fans of this series.

Kerrick and Avry are separated for about 80% of Scent of Magic. The supporting characters that I grew to love in the previous book don't show up as much. I missed their interactions and back and forth quibbling. I also missed the romance between Kerrick and Avry. There's a lot of action in this book, but it's more focused on war strategy.

That said, Avry as a main character was able to stand on her own and continues to kick butt. At 21, Avry is brave, independent and a skilled fighter. I love to see strong female characters kicking butt and taking charge and Avry does just that. As difficult as it is to be separated from Kerrick, Avry doesn't take the woe-is-me-I'm-nothing-without-my-love attitude. Which is a good thing because her focus needs to be on using her skills to help stop Tohon and his dead from taking over.

The point of view switches back and forth between Avry and Kerrick. This was vital to making the story more interesting. Let's face it, Kerrick's my favorite and I especially love the parts with him in it. The story's just going along, going along, la-de-da, not bad. I get to the last 20ish pages or so and then BAM. CLIFFHANGER CITY! WHAT the WHAT!?! What's going to happen next?? EEP!

Immediately drawn back in.

Bottom Line: A solid sequel, if for nothing but the last 20 pages. 3.75/5
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Scent of Magic picks up almost exactly where Power of Touch leaves off. Kerrick and Avry are alone after Avry has survived the plague, but they won't be together for long. Both have missions of their own to accomplish, so with promises to reunite soon, they separate. Kerrick is headed north to his kingdom and Avry is headed toward Estrid's army which is waiting to engage Tohon's army. Naturally things do not go as planned; Avry infiltrates Estrid's army in disguise in order to help train them, while Kerrick ends up prisoner to the marching northern tribes. Throughout the course of the book, each one's story is told in alternating chapters as we watch tragedy, hope, and war bloom among the main characters.

I am in love with this series! Is it the best written series ever? Nope. Does it offer anything new as far as fantasy goes? Nope. But what it does do is provide an intriguing storyline with a heroine who is not waiting around to be rescued and a supporting cast that is almost as interesting as the heroine. I love Avry's voice; she's not always reasonable and at times she's downright moody, but she cares so deeply for those she loves and she tries to do the right thing always. In the book's final conflict between she and Tohon, I was cheering her on every step of the way. She's got so much heart that even if there wasn't a romantic link between she and Kerrick, I'd be hooked into reading about them because of her force of will. And while a few of the characters--ahem, Cellina--really work my last nerve at every turn, all of them are realistically flawed and well-described.

I read Scent of Magic on the heels of finishing Power of Touch, and I'm extremely glad I did so. I was able to keep the momentum going and recall the cast of characters vividly, something I fear may diminish with the third book since I have to wait until later in the year for its release. But make no mistake, I'll be there for Book Three; Maria V. Snyder has yet to let me down as an author and I'm on board with this series completely, flaws and all.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Back from the dead, Avry wants to spend time with her love, Kerrick, but the two need to separate to stop evil Tohon from his plan of ruling the world through the force of his undead warriors. Kerrick goes off to his ancestral homeland to gather his armies while Avry infiltrates an army preparing to face Tohon.... and spies on her sister who can't forgive Avry for failing to save their parents.

Avry forms friendships with the scout teams in the army, training them to move silently through the forest and warning them of Tohon's undead (although nobody will believe her). Kerrick runs into one of Tohon's lieutenants, then discovers that his kingdom has already been denuded of its troops and is being invaded by barbarians from the frozen north.

Tohon delays his invasion... possibly wanting to trap all of his opponents in one battle rather than face them piecemeal. Ultimately, his forces surround the base where Avry, finally revealed as a healer, is stationed. Tohon has plans that go beyond control of the world... he also wants Avry.

I like Maria V. Snyder's writing. She develops interesting and strong female characters. She does an excellent job describing fight scenes. Her magic systems are clever and thought-provoking. So, that's the upside of SCENT OF MAGIC. On the downside, the whole notion of spying on her questionable allies never really went anywhere, leaving the bulk of the book as filler rather than integral to the resolution. I loved Tohon's analysis of Avry's character but didn't see the growth I wanted for her to refute his conclusions and thought that the resolution of the Tohon problem was slap-dash. I wanted more emotional investment in Avry's changes but didn't see it. Avry spent much of the book believing that Kerrick was dead... which we readers knew not to be the case. From a story perspective, this let Snyder put Avry through an emotional wringer but again, I didn't see where this added anything to the story.

I'm a fan of Snyder's writing but found SCENT OF MAGIC to be a bit slow-going and not up to her best efforts.