4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect., October 19, 1999
I felt a bit let down reading this after _Stalking Tender Prey_, a book which left me with such high expectations. Constantine's talent for textured prose, distinctive characters, and gleefully ambiguous morality (and sexuality) are still evident, yet (to me) the neo-paganish mysticism introduced becomes overbearing to the point of distraction at times. Still, it was an entertaining read, and I plan on buying the third, final novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like being on Neptune whit Aeschylus, September 22, 2001
Ventura Angelo (Brescia, Lombardia Italy) - See all my reviews
This book is wonderful. Mixing ancient mythology whit modern Angst, creating an eerie feeling, when you realize that this uncanny fantasy might really say something on the real history of this world (like I felt whit the Wraeththu series). Shem is the disillusioned idealist, a Prometheus that,once freed,feels betrayed by his own people and by humanity,that he feels has abandoned him. Shemyaza and the Titan (a giant,a god,a...Nephilim?)Prometheus:both givers of forbidden knowledge to humans. Read Aeschilus' Prometheus Enchained, then you will notice some similarity whit Shemyaza's story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pagan's Rejoice!, July 24, 2002
"uulemnts" (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
This book practically drips with Pagan imagery. The mood and feel of the book is very much derived from where the book takes place, in Cornwall's desolate storm-lashed coast. The sea imagery is amazing, not as good as in Sea Dragon Heir, but that is only because of the locations being different. The landscape reflect the inner conflict of Shemyaza and is very appropriate because of this. This book reads faster that the first book or the trilogy and is even harder to put down because of the descriptive nature of Storm's Writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mysteries unfolding in a Pagan apocalypse, March 27, 2009
This review is from: Scenting Hallowed Blood (Paperback)
The first volume of Storm Constantine's Grigori trilogy started to uncover the mysteries of Peverel Othman and his place among the Grigori, a race of angels who once ruled over humanity and who even now influence their world. He is no less than the reincarnation of Shemyaza, the renegade leader of the Grigori. With an apocalyptic moment approaching, involving a mysterious creature in a cave near Cornwall, several factions, human and Grigori, are vying to win his confidence and so affect the outcome in their favor. But what does Shemyaza himself want...?

The tone of this book is a bit different than the first: the pace is more urgent and thus, some things get glossed over which would have been more developed in the first. As a for instance, I would have liked to have seen more background on the Pelleth and their traditions, but given the urgency of the situation, there wasn't a whole lot of room in the narrative for it. But this very sense of urgency only makes you wonder what comes next and what Shem will decide to do with the urgent task laid on his shoulders...?

5.0 out of 5 stars Scenting Hallowed Blood, March 20, 2013
This is a series worth reading. Storm Constantine is one of my favorite authors, she researches her subject, and then writes a story. The characters are believable, even if the plot is pure fantasy. Once I opened this book, I could not put it down. Luckly, my eyes drifted off to sleep before my intrested did, or I'd still be up reading. This is a book about the decendents of fallen angels. Shemyaza being the main character is locked for eternity in the star gate, never to go forward, not dead, and not alive. Daniel is a boy who has a problem, he can see what other people are thinking/saying in rooms in other houses. He fears that his friends will find out. Read this book and find out what happens when Shem finds out about Daniel. Will Daniel want to be with Shem, or is there someone else he wants?. Can he help Shem with is Gate problem? I'm not the greatest writer, but this is one of my favorite books.

4.0 out of 5 stars True to form - and still one of my favorites!, October 16, 1999
Finally got my hands on the sequel! The ending to Stalking tender Prey left me hanging a bit - but kept me looking for this one!
Storm's usual intricate character development is accentuated by the story line. Still a little homo-erotic, and appealing to the pagan in all of us.
A good read, and well worth my wait. Now if that third would just make it to the U.S.!!!

Scenting Hallowed Blood
Scenting Hallowed Blood by Storm Constantine (Paperback - June 14, 2007)
$28.00 $24.94