on October 9, 2012
Verified Purchase
I wanted a low-price replacement for an older tube unit, and this Sceptre had better than average reviews consistently(botht here and at Wal-mart's site too). The value for this price is outstanding and I am very happy with the purchase.

The unit came boxed well and was undamaged despite the UPS driver pointing out a big tear in the carton. The interior padding saved the day! The setup was easy and everything in the QuickStart guide and manual was easy to understand.

- Picture quality is a solid 9. The crispness and color are very good and very life-like.
- Over-the-Air signal quality is also very good, I'd give it an 8+.
- Audio is not super, but I havene't messed around with the equalizer settings myself, like many other reviewers reccomend. Persoanlly I plan to use my surround receiver for any movies/bluray output. Built in speakers get a 6 rating, as alone they are a bit low and occasionally tinny.
- Connections get a 7, as I'd like a digital audio IN...however to be fair I knew that wasn't there when buying. And for this price I can understand why they have what they have.

Overall rating 8+ for this TV, at week 5. Buy with confidence. Would recommend to any friend.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
The shipping was A+ very fast. The TV gets 5 stars for the price. Last year I paid about the same price for a 32 inch. The TV itself I would give just above average (for the price). The TV is plastic so it is pretty cheaply constructed. I have no problems with the picture as the quality is great. The sound is a bit below average. I will probably have to invest in a sound system. Overall for the price I paid which was $279 you cannot go wrong.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 15, 2012
Verified Purchase
This is a great HDTV for the money. Dont get me wrong, its not up there with the Samsungs that are 3 times the price as this one. But for the money, I was overly impressed. The picture quality is stunning in full HD 1080p, and believe me, I have a skeptical eye. I own a CCTV distribution company and I used this in my showroom to display some of our Hi-Def 1080p cameras. My cameras look better on this monitor than any other that I have seen. The colors are so bright and vibrant and the blacks are very black. We have an expensive Samsung 52" at home and I would venture to say that this one's picture quality is on par with that one. Any of the other posters who complained of bad video quality were probably not using an HDMI connection. Rather, they were probably using a component connection and expecting HDTV quality, not gonna happen. This was so good that I just ordered another one for our showroom and I am considering the 50" version from the same company. The only thing I worry about is the long term usability, but I guess time will only tell. But my initial impression is A+!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 3, 2013
Verified Purchase
Things should be judged by their price point. You shouldn't expect Ferrari performance from a Hyundai - the world doesn't work like that.

The same applies here. The TV is a fantastic value for what it offers.

The "out of the box" experience is dull. The TV is pre-configured to "power save" mode when you first turn it on, meaning that the you might disappointed with the dark tones and overall unexciting image.

Once I spent 10-15 minutes configuring the image settings (essentially getting rid of the power save mode on every setting), I was able to create a crisp, realistic and beautiful image - Incredibly solid.

The sound is not the best, but it is also not the worst. It is sufficiently loud to handle my entire living room audience. The 30+ reviews I read on this forum depicted the sound of this TV to be of disgusting quality, which I think is exaggerated.
on July 11, 2012
Update August 17, 2012
I bought a blu-ray disc player today and finally tried this option on the tv. The tv supported the 1080p without a problem. While starting I saw 1080p/60hz, then once the movie was playing I saw 1080p/24hz I think it's how that was spelled. The streaming programs also looked great on the tv. So far I'm warming up to the tv. FYI, fry's has a 50 inch tv for like four hundred in case any one is looking.

Update August 16, 2012
I found that you can skip the channels you don't want on this tv tuner. This feature is found under Menu/Channel/Channel Settings. Here you will find small boxes, one says skip, the other favorites. This is where you add a check mark for channels you don't want to view and this is also where you'll find the check mark on the channels you have added to your favorites. Now the tv is more enjoyable as I don't need to scroll through channels I don't care for.

Pros:
-Built-in tuner. I'm glad to get rid of my separate box.
-Okay size, I now know I can fit a slightly bigger tv where my old one was, darn. Even 40" still doesn't look that big, but I am loving the new size.
-I love the side placement of the connections and buttons. Makes it easier to connect other audio/video components. You have to use small/thinner cables though or they will show on the side. Farther in would work best, but I still prefer this to having them on the bottom.
-I thought I give sceptre a try since they are about an hour from me. My old no name brand lcd tv has been working fine all these years, but I wanted to get hdmi and 1080p.
-Remote control is comfortable, a bit long but buttons are a good size, well at least the numbers arrows, and volume keys.
-HDMI seems to work fine with my htpc. I now have the computer video and sound coming from the hdmi port. This got rid of two cables I had on my old setup.
-Sound is okay, but I use separate speakers.
-UPS couldn't find the house, but when they did, the box was fine, it was shipped in the original box, so I was expecting this to have a hole through, but nothing but a small tear on one side, so I'm glad.
-The egg had it for 279 which is not a bad deal for this size, but I had to pay for tax so it was just over this 300. Other 32 sizes are going for more than this, so it was a no brainer to try this one. Unfortunately for me I had to pay for tax, but shipping was free so that helped a bit.
-It's working!
-It's surprisingly light compared to my smaller older LCD TV.

Cons or just things I have found about this tv:
-No picture in picture for a relatively new tv which I just noticed, this sucks. My 7 year old tv had it and it doesn't even have a tuner.
-Many over the air HD channels are coming in as 1080i (Interlaced) not 1080p. I'm in Los Angeles and just use a regular antenna, no cable or dish. These still look fine, but depending on the program you can still see grainy or slight snow which can get annoying at times. This does seem to be more program dependent and more noticeable on lower HD programs, but still noticeable. After playing around with the settings, many do look better, but it's not perfect. A bit of wash (a bit too bright) too so I'm still trying to decide if I can live with it. I have yet to see anything in 1080P. I have turned off the dynamic setting, but still see some things a bit too white which sort of washes out if other stuff on the screen is light color.
-Can't seem to delete channels I don't want, like my old separate tuner box. There is a favorites add/delete button so I guess I have to use this which I think sucks.
-Remote buttons DON't light up which really stinks for a newer tv. A glow in the dark remote would work too.
-Sceptre logo before tv starts, really annoying, it's a TV, we don't need logos on the screen when you turn it on, there's one on the front of the tv, we know what it is. Seriously?
-The wall mount only has four screw holes. My old one had two sets which were closer and allowed me to mount my htpc, this one doesn't so I have to rig something up in order to mount that pc on the back of the tv. I used the base mount not a wall mount.
-Blue LED on the front left corner is annoying since it stays on when the tv is on, turns red when off. I hate blue LEDs and this one is no exception. It's distracting to me but at least its smaller than others I have seen. I rather see a softer color, but nothing at all is better when the tv is on and even off.
-1920x1080 on the htpc with windows 7 pro can only fit perfectly on the screen with the tv screen setting set at "Full 100%" and there is no setting to move the LCD left, right, up, or down like on a regular lcd monitor which is fine as I was able to use this setting. Unfortunately the screen seems a bit funny like when your video card settings are not set correctly. It's perfectly viewable, but when I go to an even lower setting the icon colors look much better, but the screen looks a bit fuzzy so I just use the setting above.
-No internet applications or connection, so you can't update anything on it, period. What you get is what you get, nothing more, nothing less.

I will update later on as time goes on to see how well this tv holds up. The X408BV/X409BV seem to be the exact same tv. I printed out both specifications and couldn't find any difference between the two. I ordered what the description said was the x408, but received the x409. There's no model number on the box, you'll see it when you take the tv out. At lest this is what the yellow sticker had. I'll have to check the back again to see which one it is. I forgot to look.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2012
Verified Purchase
Displayed black color is pretty bright, so the contrast isn't that great (mainly matters for scary movies I think).

Screen backlight is uneven, can't always see it, but it's there. It appears as slightly brighter vertical bands, like a sine wave of brightness over the screen. My guess is they placed the backlight rows too far apart (if there are multiple bulbs), or didn't use a good enough diffuser.

Haven't tried the speakers. Menu and ports are good. Overall a great TV for the size and # of pixels and price (I paid $289.99).

If you're super crazy about movies and videography, look elsewhere, for the rest of us this is a pretty decent deal.
on October 28, 2012
Verified Purchase
This TV has a great clear picture, great color, plenty of HDMI slots, and is a great size for a great price. I hung it on a wall - it is lightweight and was easy to hang by myself.
on November 22, 2012
Verified Purchase
Delivered in two days. It's surprisingly light weight.
I have no problem with the quality of it's casing since the importance is all in the picture quality.
So far I have no complaints.
Remote came with batteries included.
This 39in is lighter than my 27in. Makes for moving it around that much easier.
The stand it comes on is a swivel so you can turn it without having to move the base.
I have not tried to mount it nor do I think I will but the option is nice to have.
The setup is pretty standard. As are the settings.
I can't comment on the sound as I don't know the difference.
It sounds just fine to me.
Overall a great product for the pricing. Almost a steal. xD

It's now been 2 years since I purchased this product and I can't believe what I wrote here.
I didn't give it nearly enough credit. I should have bought 2 of these when it was priced under $300.
I still haven't mounted it but I still love the quality.
There's no image burning or anything.
This product is just beautiful. :')
on April 2, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this TV for use as a gaming monitor for both PC and my Xbox 360, and man, can i tell you its amazing!! It seems tailor made for use as a PC monitor, I'm using HDMI but it also has a VGA port, and its crystal cleat and scales perfectly!! Picture detail is awesome! I wasn't expecting too much as this is a very inexpensive TV, but its of a quality far beyond its price. I also bought a Tritton 720+ headset with this for use with my Xbox and PC to add surround sound, the coaxial audio out on the TV helped a ton! I just bought a Coaxial to optical converter, and Viola! Works great.
Only negatives i can see are that the stand is pretty flimsy, but the TV itself is incredibly light so its not a big issue, but its also easily wall mountable so that would solve that problem. And also, the screen is VERY thin. The slightest touch will disperse the screen for about 30 seconds, very unusual. This is fine for an adult household, but be wary if you have children, one smack and its over with.
Otherwise this is a great buy, bust value in this size range and quality to boot! A+++!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2012
Verified Purchase
Bought this as a second TV for my bedroom. Great price, picture is very good; sharp, bright and has easy to use configuration controls. Would buy again. Not as good as the THX top of the line Panasonic plasma in the living room, the colors aren't as deep, but I only notice it when I compare the two. The Sceptre is well worth the price. The audio is fine once you configure it. It comes with "surround" as default. Turn surround off and the sound is fine. Also has a 7 band equalizer. Play with a couple of the bands to make the sound better.

Other items of interest: TV is very light. Stand requires assembly (6 screws and it comes with a screw driver.) Remote isn't backlit.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations