4.0 out of 5 stars Right price for a BIG TV
I purchased this from walmart on Black Friday online. So far I have been very happy with it. The sound is fine in my opinion and the picture is good for a 50" 60hz TV. While obviously samsung and other big names have better quality TVs, for $430 for 50" this is a great deal.

Published 22 months ago by Big Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture OK, but remote hard to use
The picture and sound quality seemed to be fine, however, the remote control and on screen menu were very complicated. The remote would only work while standing very close to TV and pointing exactly at the area of the sensor. Who wants to mess with that while relaxing on couch to watch TV.
Published 20 months ago by T. Anders

4.0 out of 5 stars Right price for a BIG TV, November 25, 2012
This review is from: Sceptre X508BV-FHD 50-Inch 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Black) (Electronics)

I cared more about having a big tv then a super high quality picture when I purchased this. The picture is still good, you just need to make sure you don't sit super close. My couch is about 8ft away from the TV and the picture is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars sceptre 50 inch, January 8, 2013
Ive had this tv for about 2 weeks. This tv is good for the price and has a good picture however the sound really is pretty bad you will want external speakers. It sounds like my laptop. Otherwise happy so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's been 10months and I'm still happy, September 9, 2013
dione "son" (upper marlboro, Maryland) - See all my reviews
I bought this on black Friday from Walmart 2012. Here it is sept 2013 and not one issue. I'm definitely glad I purchased this tv. The picture is decent and the sound is good too. Hope this helps someone decide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why more?, January 1, 2013
Sceptre was founded in 1984 in California. The company is specified toward electronic products like TV and monitors then bloated companies like Samsung and Sony. I had already owned a Sceptre monitor of great quality that displayed even high end PC gaming extremely well. This 50 inch Sceptre TV is an amazing product at an amazing price. A full 1080p at 60hz TV. I use the TV for PC and console gaming. Please note that the human eye struggles to see the difference between 60hz and 120hz also that smart tv is pointless if you have a modern blu ray player, pc or gaming console. TV has 3 hdmi which is plenty, USB, to audio types one for PC, VGA for PC, composite, component and lastly cable. I don't have tv however so I can't give any feedback on that. This TV works wonder full for using the VGA for PC display. I tried HDMI for my PC, but in my personal opinion VGA outputs better picture quality and HDMI failed to fit the screen correctly. I see no loss in quality from games like Batman Arkham City with Extreme settings on PC compared to the asus vs239h-p monitor. I have a 5760x1080 eyefinity display with three of those monitors and I personally find this Sceptre 50 inch TV to be a more immersive experience. Not to mention 5760x1080 puts more strain on my gpu and ultimately I just don't like the stretched out side viewing of the side monitors. Maybe it makes sense for FPS titiles, but it makes no sense for 3rd person perspective. Their should be no image stretching in my opinion. Lastly, this tv is set at power saving, and vivid isn't that good either. Jack the contrast, color and sharpenss up into the 70-90's for best image quality. Extremely satisfied with this TV.

I forgot to say the speakers are horrible, but I will not judge a flat-screen tv on it's sound. Both flat screen tv's and monitor's are not meant to have good sound. I have 17 year old speaker system that works wonderfully. So I'm assuming anyone who's buying a tv has a speaker set up ready for use.

5.0 out of 5 stars GIves you bang for the buck, May 7, 2013
Eizenh3im (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I have always been skeptical about buying cheap products and usually go for expensive one. I made an exception in this case and went for this super cheap tv. The video quality is really good. I have had friends come over and see the tv and none of them could believe that this tv was being offered so cheap. The audio is ok. I would have bought speakers anyways, so this was not an issue. Having said that, I have been using them without speakers since the last 2 weeks and the audio is not that bad. It is definitely ok for day to da tv shows, etc. But, not great for movies/music.
Point to note: This tv does not have an optical out for audio, unlike most modern tvs. So, either you ll have to buy speakers which support analog input or spend some money on a converter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the price, April 11, 2013
I've had this TV for a week now with no complaints. Sound was not so good at first, but I found that turning off the Digital Audio Output under menu/sound/other settings greatly improved the sound from the on-board speakers. Standard definition TV picture is acceptable, but HD with HDMI cable is brilliant. As with sound, you can adjust the picture to your room/tastes. For under $500 you can not go wrong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture OK, but remote hard to use, January 15, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for such a low price, January 7, 2014
Pros.: Hi folks. Don't let the no name-brand turn you off. This is a great TV for the price ($399). The remote control has many useful features that saves time sifting through the on screen menu while watching TV. I love the "Aspect" button to make partial screen broadcasts into full screen (Cinema) on the TV with a one push of the button. Also, the "Sleep" button is very useful. The sleep feature was not even listed in the specs. The QAM tuner allows watching all unscrambled digital and analog channels without a Set-top box. Picture is sharp and the internal speakers are clear, nice and loud. I don't understand why there are so many unfavorable comments about the sound. My most favorite feature is the "Favorite" channels buttons on the remote (No pun intended), which also was not listed in the specs. The four favorite selection buttons on the remote makes it a breeze to select and access your favorite channels.
I bought a 46" Samsung smart TV two weeks ago for $200 more than I paid for this TV. Samsung customer service in India were terrible. I am so glad I returned Samsung and bought this TV. I discovered that I don't need/want the Smart feature for internet access on a TV. It was so slow and froze so much, it was crazy. A computer is much better access to internet. This TV has a MHL connection for a Roku stick if you want internet access. The old adage that a higher priced item is not necessarily better; holds true with this TV. The package even includes a screw driver and a soft cloth to clean the screen. Not that I needed a screw driver, but it's a sign how detailed oriented Sceptre company is.

Cons.:
 The USB connection cannot play a movie (motion picture). It can only display a picture from a USB thumb drive.
 The CC (Closed Caption) setup options are either On or Off. There is no option to automatically activate on mute only and disappear when un-muted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tv stand broke, April 24, 2013
Wife came home and found our tv on the floor and the stand was still on the piece of furniture. The tv just broke off the stand. I think the screws that were provided were too short.

Other than that it has been a great tv for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Duper Nice Especially for the price, February 7, 2013
Super Duper Nice Especially for the price!!! Its not the sharpest most vivid in the worl. But its Nice its HD. And best of all its Sub $500 for a 50"!!!

Sceptre X508BV-FHD 50-Inch 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Black)
Used & New from: $500.00