5.0 out of 5 stars Best stuff on earth...but it's not "hot chocolate" only
At the time of this review the title notes that this is a "hot chocolate tin" while it can easily be made into "hot chocolate" the buyer should know this is unsweetened cocoa...not a hot chocolate mix. BUT...

that said...

Published on October 19, 2009 by Chandler

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it was
I've now bought three 2 kilo boxes of Scharffen Berger unsweetened cocoa powder and drank them all as hot cocoa, a little each morning over a long period. The first two boxes were great, but the third box was quite a bit weaker and sweeter, as if they were trying to make up for lost quality by sneaking a little sugar in.

Anyway, I'm not happy with Scharffen...
Published on April 4, 2010 by Patrick Killelea

5.0 out of 5 stars Best stuff on earth...but it's not "hot chocolate" only, October 19, 2009
This review is from: Scharffen Berger (Scharffenberger) Natural Cocoa Powder - Hot Chocolate & Baking Chocolate Tin (Misc.)

that said...

Coming from a household of two foodies, two gourmet cooks (one a trained chef) and chocolate LOVERS...if you have yet to replace whatever cocoa you are using with Scharffen berger, best do so now. :-) Ohhhh this stuff is the best.

I actually read about this cocoa, cough cough, in People Magazine about 10 years ago and was intriqued due to the level of true cocoa bean in it...unlike any other so called "gourmet" cocoa. At that time I couldn't find it anywhere and had to order it from the company. Now I find it in some grocery stores...unfortunately just the "upscale" or "all natural ones"..not a bad thing, but I don't shop there every week, so not a good thing either for me at least if you are trying to find it locally. I hope to see it more mainstream soon.

Because we are foodies, if we like something at a restaurant it's not uncommon for us to wind up talking to the manager or chef about ingredients that stand out. In the past 3 years when I have asked about a chocolate dessert I think only once were they not using this.

Is it great as hot cocoa? Sure...but that is SO limiting its use. I just use it for any recipe calling for cocoa.

Negative: I have no negative on taste or quality and ratio of real cocoa used...that can't be beat. However, the price is higher...I'd rather have it in a less fancy tin and kick it down a notch on price...but I pay it and so does anyone else I know into baking...so maybe they don't have to consider that...still, it is higher so I have to grumble SOME...

5.0 out of 5 stars so delicious - it's the best!, March 11, 2010
This s truly the best cocoa powder on the market. It is so rich and not at all bitter. You can stir this into a cup of yogurt and it barely needs to be sweetened b/c it's not bitter. It's the first choice for serious foodies and gourmands :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, September 24, 2010
I love that this cocoa is all natural and has added health benefits. I sprinkle it on almost anything I can - pancake, waffle, oatmeal, etc. Just wish it wasn't so pricey for the amount you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars But don't buy this-- it's half as much money here:, February 18, 2013

...I bought this at over $2.00 an ounce! Then found the above for $1.07 an ounce! You gotta do your research!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best for Baking!, September 9, 2010
Carlye (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I use this solely for baking. It makes the best icings, brownies, and so on. If you try it once, you'll never go back to Hershey's again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it was, April 4, 2010
Patrick Killelea (Menlo Park, CA United States) - See all my reviews

Anyway, I'm not happy with Scharffen Berger cocoa powder anymore. I'm looking for alternatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, February 11, 2013
If you want to try some great hot chocolate, use this cocoa powder and some of the cinnamon sticks; instead of using just regular milk, however, mix in some half and half. Not really a healthy drink, but boy is it good. Actually, I've used the cocoa with nonfat milk and in baking and the flavor and taste stand up well in all instances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Cocoa, February 17, 2010
Patricia Patton (Tuscaloosa, Alabama USA) - See all my reviews
I love having good cocoa powder and this makes great cocoa, brownies, cakes, etc. Better than grocery store cocoa. I keep Scharffen Berger Cocoa in my pantry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great in chocolate cake, May 25, 2014
This was my first time adding this as an ingredient in my home made chocolate cake and frosting. Glad I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not dark enough, March 20, 2014
This is good but not quite as dark as I had hoped. The fact that it is unsweetened makes it convenient to be able to control the amount of sugar.