4.0 out of 5 stars all in one review that covers the basics
For the price it can't be beat. It covers the basics and gives a good intro in to 3 phase power systems (something they don't teach anymore to EE students at universitys). If you are looking for loads of examples and good reading you will not find it in this book. The solved examples are few, and the sample problems are not very practical.
Published on December 30, 1997 by jeff_brand@msn.com

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for -
Published on July 8, 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for -, July 8, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems (Paperback)
This book provides a good , basic intoduction to power systems. However, the number of errors and typos in this book is unexceptable. Every section has several errors in it. Many important topics are glossed over. After being out of school for several years, I have been using this to review subjects for the P.E. exam that I don't work with on a daily basis. This is not the book to use for this because of the number of errors.

2.0 out of 5 stars Full Revision Needed, March 29, 2006
J. Bregains Rodriguez (Santiago de Compostela, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems (Paperback)
In view of the fact that "Ideal for self-study!" is one of the Schaum's milestone assertions, one could expect that those kinds of books are fully revised before being published. Unfortunately, it seems they are not. Nasar's book sounds interesting, but it has too many errors. This is of no help for those who want to prepare a subject by their own. I recommend not to buy this 1989 edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars all in one review that covers the basics, December 30, 1997
This review is from: Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good coverage of a subject most EE's don't study any more, February 5, 2007
This review is from: Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems (Paperback)
I agree with everyone else who says that the number of errors in numerical calculations are unacceptable in this book. That is too bad, because if that problem was rectified this would be a great little overview of a topic not really taught to Electrical Engineering undergraduates anymore - power and power calculations. Most EE's that graduate today are more signal processing or computer engineers than pure electrical engineers, and being able to work with power if you stay on the technical end of things long enough is bound to come up.

The math is really all over the map in this book - many calculations only require basic math, others involve calculus, still others involve iterative numerical methods. In fact, chapter eight is pretty much dedicated to the subject of numerical methods. The author at least hits the high points of all aspect of power systems. There is a great deal of material on transmission lines as well as the calculations involved when working with underground cables. One chapter is dedicated to fault calculations and discusses how the operation of a power system departs from normal after the occurrence of a fault. Chapter seven develops general solution methods that are amenable to the computer solution of power system network problems. Later in the outline, the author gets into subjects involving heavier power including a good introduction to three-phase power. A final and very short chapter discusses how to protect equipment against abnormal currents and voltages. The author does a good job of introducing the reader to all of the symbols that you are likely to see on a power system diagram, and their meanings.

In spite of the errors in the numerical calculations, I'd still say it's a good buy for the price. You're not going to find a good book that even touches these subjects for under a hundred dollars. If the errors were cleaned up, this Schaum's outline would be an invaluable classic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had read the reviews about the errors before buying., September 8, 2006
This review is from: Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems (Paperback)
Ok for review of power systems, However many typo's or errors. If I was Mr Syed A. Nasar I would be embarrased to have my name on this book. In the first chapter alone there are more than 10 errors. If anyone knows where to find the McGraw Hill errata page for this manual please post the URL, it will be a great service. If I find it I'll repost.

4.0 out of 5 stars solving problems is the best way to learn engineering., October 25, 2007
Vicente Fonteles (Fortaleza , CE Brasil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems (Paperback)
here in brasil we have portuguese versions of schaum's outline books on many subjects.since I was an electrical engineering graduate student, I have studied the theory on the specific books of a related field and after that I tested my knowledge on schaum's outline books, always improving my skills by solving problems, which are in my opinion, the main reason of being an well succeeded engineer.

3.0 out of 5 stars I find this book less well written than others I have, October 18, 2013
This review is from: Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems (Paperback)
I got this as a quick reference. I don't think it's that good. It's not hideous, but it's not great.

I can't comment on the accuracy of the problems as I haven't tried them since so many people complained about them.

If I had it to do over again I would probably shop more for a reference like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for power generation courses, April 10, 2013
This review is from: Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems (Paperback)
Purchased this book to help me understand some concepts that the textbook didn't cover thoroughly enough. It helped me better understand the topics. I would definitely recommend this to anyone taking a power system or power generation course.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!, July 9, 2013
Beeba (Fairburn, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems (Paperback)
This is great for studying for the P.E. exam...I passed last October....excellent for the protective relaying and per unit one line questions that were on my exam...I nailed those problems..... This book is very easy to understand..A Must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaum's Outline of Electrical Power System, May 16, 2011
Hebert Joseph (Trenton, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems (Paperback)
If you are a little bit rusty or very busy / and unable to attend a refresher course thn this is the book for you.
Thanks,
HJ

Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems
Schaum's Outline of Electrical Power Systems by S. A. Nasar (Paperback - November 1, 1989)
$23.00 $16.90