Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on January 22, 2004
Over the past few months I have collected and read many books on creative writing with a slant towards the art and technique of fiction. All the while I write and read everyday improving my writing and improving my understanding. I can certainly recommend many books that I have recently read and studied and I must say that this book has a welcome place in my library. All of the books on fiction that I have are highly geared toward the novel. I had been struggling to write just one short story with the knowledge and experience imparted from other books. Things just didn't fit. I bought this book with three others not expecting anything special. I started with the book and a page and a half of short story. By the time I finished reading the first chapter, everything was so clear that I put the book down, and, with surprising success, finished my short story. It only took a matter of hours. I am a page and a half into another story told entirely from the omniscient point of view. I would also like to say that many of the books I have include a pre-amble or first section on the struggle of writing well. I have found many of these depressing even when I am shining with hope. The first chapter of this book approaches the subject of writers struggle with interspersed anecdotes of hope and quotes about the struggle and joy of writing from famous writers. If you buy this book for only one reason, let it be the first chapter. It is truly original. The rest of the book goes on to talk about many of the common elements in general creative writing that can be found in any collection. This book freed my style and showed me that I can use un-common technique to make an engaging story of less than 5,000 words.
If this is your first book you also want "Self-Editing For Writers of Fiction", and Sol Steins, "Stein on Writing".
Good luck with your endeavors.
0Comment91 of 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2006
I wanted a book to show me the difference in technique between a short story and novel length. This book didn't help me. If you want an overall view of how to write, this book is simple and arranged well, but I'm not sure why the title empahsis is on short story.
22 comments29 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2006
Schaum's guide is a good quick reference guide in the same sense a good gourmet cookbook may serve as a quick reference guide for getting a creative meal started. It is helpful in recalling key incredients and in just what portions and in what order they should be presented but as far as a guide to inspire, I must report this guide is NOT! Sadly, what is needed is a chapter entitled, "Ideas!!! And how to put form to them."

I like the book and it is a good quick reference guide and it is well worth the money. In many ways it's format is just right and it can be helpful just don't expect it to prepare you to be the next Hemmingway!
on November 26, 2010
Pros:
- Short and concise
- Descriptive enough to get you going
- Good for beginners
- Numerous checklists and tip sheets (love it)
- Quick read (2 hours or so)

Cons:
- None
on February 24, 2009
"Schaum's Quick Guide to Writing Great Short Stories" gives the writer a bifocal look at the genre: Part: How to loosen up and start writing. Part: The Anatomy of a Short Story (aside from being short). The key uniqueness is the avoidance of didactic lessons on proper English and punctuation, which anyone reading this little gem should already know.

The Book is a very "quick read" and you'll close the cover at the end and say, as I did, "This book goes in my laptop case so I have it all the time to dip into when I am writing." I now have it on my Kindle, which is even better for traveling!
on February 18, 2015
Thought provoking,useful guide. I have a large library of writing books. This book touched upon every important topic. While reading it I wrote a short story. I like the manner in how the nuts and bolt of stories were presented. It helped open my mind to seeing the creation of short stories in New ways. Thank you!
on April 18, 2013
I have had eight items published, yet it has been 15 years since I had formal instruction or read any guide to the process. Schaum's book was the ideal refresher for me and I believe an ideal first guide for anyone wanting to start the writing process.
on April 5, 2013
This is a great resource for writing short stories. The writer is very thorough, yet sticks to the point. It includes exercises to keep you writing. Although I am just starting to do this seriously, it's the best resource I have found so far.
on August 6, 2012
I found this book well written and extremely helpful for me. It is concise with good examples and excellent guidance. I am glad I bought it.
on March 26, 2015
Every angle of "the construction" of a short story is under a magnifying glass. Margaret Lucke knows how to make anyone take the first steps into observation, imagination, movement and actual writing of a good story.