Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on May 3, 2013
Size: 3 each|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have the non-disposal version of this razor ( in which you just buy new heads.) The heads on the disposal version are identical to the heads sold for the version in which you retain the handle. So the only difference is the handle on the disposables is much lighter. The cut though is the same as is how long the blades last.

I generally use an electric 4-5 days per week and a blade the other 2-3. The Hydro 5 is one of the best blades I have ever used. With 5 blades it cuts smoothly, has an excellent glide over the face, and I cannot recall ever cutting myself even when pressed for time and shaving a little fast. I can get a couple months (at 2-3 shaves per week) out of a single blade with no loss of cutting quality. In addition the hyrdo 5 blade design is such that it cleans under the facuet better than any blade I have tried. It both cleans completely but also quickly. That may not sound like much, but it contributes greatly to how well this cuts and how quickly you can complete your shave.

It also has a flip down ability, where the lubrication bar on top of the razor will flip out of the way. I actually use it as it helps get under the nose and also get the sideburn area straighter.

This is a premium razor but at the same time has a performance that is also premium.
VINE VOICEon March 27, 2013
Size: 3 each|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I hate shaving, so I'm always happy to try new products that might make shaving better. I can just imagine that Schick heard feedback like "I love the lubricant stuff, but it doesn't last long enough" and "I like a big handle with some weight and grip to it" and maybe "the more blades the better", though I think three blades is enough.

Anyway, I give Schick credit for trying to fill those wishes. This Hydro 5 razor has a big long-lasting lubricant reservoir thingy. It has a really nice grip, complete with a rubbery texture. And five, count 'em, FIVE blades. Plus, a glidy thing below the blades to help keep the balance, keep the blades on the right line.

BUT, to me, it's all just TOO MUCH. The lubricant did the job, but then I had to wash off the excess. I've yet to notice any four or five blade razor do any better than the same brand's three blades. The grip - yeah, that's a plus - it's probably the best razor grip available. But all these things take up space. I compared the Hydro 5 to my Mach 3 Power, and the shaving head is easily 50% bigger. Seriously, it's huge.

So, how's the shave? Well, the outcome is good - no stubble, except for this one spot on my neck that avoids every razor I've ever used. On the outside, the look and the touch says my face is really nice and smooth. BUT, my skin tells me that it has been worked (though I can't see any evidence). It did NOT feel smooth in the process. It felt very grabby on my chin and neck. It felt like a shaving cut a few times, though I don't see any cuts.

Bottom line: Schick tried, but they missed the mark. The result is good, but the action of shaving was not smooth. And the final indictment: after I finished, I went back to my Mach 3 to get just under my nose, because the Schick Hydro 5 was just too big to get to that spot properly.
33 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2015
So I got the opportunity to try these for FREE as a BzzAgent, and I'm glad I did.

I had a tough time with this rating. 2? Should be more. 3? Maybe. 4? Hmmm. 5? Not this time. Let's break it down...

If I would have based my rating on marketing ploy alone, I would have gone with 2 stars because the packaging is misleading to any right-brain person and to 50% of the left-brainers out there. There is a big "5" splashed on the package with the word "disposables" -- in two languages so that you can get fooled into thinking that you are getting 5 razors in both English and in French.

To go to the other side of the spectrum, let's discuss why this should be 4 stars (5 stars being ruled out due to the surprise that most will feel after getting home and opening their 3 pack of razors and then wondering how in the world did either Fido or Mittens make off with the other 2 razors). 4 stars. It has weight. Unlike the actual razor, though, but wait. I did get a pretty smooth shave-even in those areas where your face is more like a petrified forest refusing to be cut down and laid barren. My first use with the blade was like this. The second and subsequent times I wielded the same stone cutting blade, a few tiny petrified saplings remained, but I had to use the tip of my most delicate finger to trace out their roots. Not bad. Indeed. And if you've ever cut timber with a blade, you'll concur that sometimes getting that sawdust stubble out of your blades can be frustrating, sometimes even forcing you to bang your blade on the edge of your sink like Thor pounding his hammer. Not so with this razor. That's a good thing, as sinks are expensive to replace.

Now to round it all out. I would have loved to have a 1/2 star option on this one because I was in between the "middle" ground of the 3 and the "almost hallowed" ground of the 4. But like salaries and employee rankings, I personally like to be rounded up, so I paid this one forward...barely. Why? Outside of the misleading packaging, I get up, shower, shave, rotate with the kids' carpool, go to work. Yes, that is the essence of many a routine. But how much different could my day be, if when I shave (the most manly part of my morning, as I'm working a razor blade across my face!), I went on an adventure? How about picking up a chrome/steel/gray color handled blade and prepping myself to go save the planet on a mission to Mars? Or how about grabbing my Hulk green razor and prepping for my day as a superhero? Instead I got this fairly lightweight, nearly baby blue handled razor to wield like the man I dream of being. Call me what you like, but I want my razor to look the part. Just because I've traded my convertible for a kid-hauler doesn't mean that I want to be whisked away to the spa when I'm shaving. If I go to the spa, it's to get a massage to repair my broken body from all that superheroing I do all day. So yes, even my razor should take me on an adventure, and if not an adventure, I will gladly take a quest. This razor has potential, and at the end of the day, maybe that's all we need.
review image
VINE VOICEon March 27, 2013
Size: 3 each|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's been sometime since I've used a disposable razor. I've been using an electric razor for sometime. I used this razor with a shaving gel to cut down on the foam. This razor did a good job.
PROS:

Lightweight
Cuts decent
Protection sleeve
Lubrication strip

CONS:

Lubrication strip combined with the shaving gel, created this sort of ooze that didn't allow me to feel the hairs. It's as if the lubrication ooze created a layer that didn't allow the razor to get closer
The size of the head in relationship to the blades didn't allow me to get the hairs that grow close to the nostrils. You have to stretch your upper lip to get to them.

OVERALL:
Good razor. Did the trick. I've always wondered about going back to the razor from my electric. Now I know, I'm not really missing that much.
on May 27, 2016
Very close shave and glides smoothly without Knicks or cuts. These last longer than regular razors for me. I have tried 3 blade and these 5 blade are much better. I lock the lubricating part back and don't even use it. I didn't know it could be done, until I played around with the razor head. It doesn't pivot at all, after you do this, but it works better for me.
on January 19, 2016
Was using the Xtreme 3 disposable and was fairly satisfied for the price. I was skeptical that the extra money would be worth it on the Hyrdo 5. It is totally worth it. It glides like butter. Stays very lubricated even after more than one shave. No nicks or cuts. Everyone's face is unique in texture and shape so maybe it isn't for you. For me, I will bu them again.
on September 17, 2013
After having used 3-blade disposable shavers for years, I decided to see if the 5-blade units were any better. I don't shave very often, so the expense of a handle/cartridge set isn't really worth it for me. The last 3-blade disposable I used was Gillette Sensor3 Smooth Shave Disposable Razor 8 Count and they were OK, but didn't give the closest shave - I'd have to go over the same area several times to get a truly smooth shave.

So I decided to pit the two 5-blade disposables against each other... the Gillette Fusion Men's Disposable Razors 2 Count and these Schick Hydro 5 Disposables which come in a 3-pack. My neighbor had given the Schick a strong thumbs-up after he tried it last year, saying it was the best shave he's ever had with a blade razor. Once I received both from Amazon, I gave them a side-by-side test... literally. Shaved one side of my face with the Gillette, the other with the Schick. I've used Sensitive Skin Shave Gel Edge For Men 7 Ounce Soothing Aloe Preventing Nicks Cuts Irritation for 20 years, so that was the "cream" of choice for the test.

Both razors did a better job than the 3-blade Sensor3, with very little need for additional passes over the same area. But while both did the job, the Schick felt better in the hand, and was a little bit smoother. Not really enough to make a firm decision one way or another, so I then had to go with value. Schick gives you a 3-pack for the price of Gillette's 2-pack and that swayed the pendulum. I'll finish off the two Gillette Fusion razors, then I'll use the Schick Hydro 5s and buy a few more packs for the bathroom cabinet. Obviously the type and length of facial hair you have will make a big difference, but I like the 5-blade shave better than the 3, I like the Schick a little better than the Gillette, and I like the Schick's price a lot better.
on March 28, 2016
Great little razors! These have the same blades on them as a normal hydro 5 razor, so if you wanted to you could remove the blade as use it as a refill. These have the nice lubricating strip. are cheaper than the competition and do the same job!
on January 21, 2016
A good razor, but not great. The blades aren't super sharp and I may have to re-go over areas two or three times because the blades will miss hair.

Not my favorite, but will work in a pinch.
on June 8, 2016
I have never had anything good to say about using razors because of my HIGHLY sensitive skin and always breaking out.
I took one from my boyfriend ,exfoliated really well, and shaved. I am so happy. I didn't break out with bumps and ingrown hairs when using these under my arms or legs. Im very happy with this product.