Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Color Name: Aged Bronze|Style Name: Camelot|Change

on May 15, 2013
I wanted to take a moment and talk about the lock but more importantly since many reviews exist I wanted to share my experience with installation. When I received my first lock it did not work. When the motor engaged the deadbolt never turned so I assumed I received a defective unit and as always amazon.com was right there to replace the item with no delay. Much to my surprise and a little dismay the second lock I received did exactly the same thing so I thought to myself....maybe I'm juts doing it wrong. So first of all the lock looks sleek and when it works its exceptional and if I hadn't had this issue on installation I would have given the device 5 stars, which I will give to their support people.

I decided after my second lock and subsequent failure of said lock I'd call the install help hotline and I spoke to a very nice agent (Christi I think her name was) who when hearing the lock knew exactly what the issue was and how to fix it and told me if I didnt mind to do a few steps she'd have me working in 10 to 15 minutes. A promise she kept quite well I might add. So I'm here to share with you what was wrong and how to fix it if you receive one of these issues.

The Problem:
The Agent told me during the first production run of this lock or so they found that one of two items was simply not pressed into place well enough as it had been done my hand and is now done my machine. So either the circuit board or the motor underneath it (in my case it was the motor) were not tightly into position.

Tools required for the fix:
A simple fillips-head screw driver.
A good thumb for pressing
You time...about 15 minutes worth.

The fix:
I will put photos up in the product page (See Link Below) to go along with my fix instructions.

Start by laying the inside housing face up with the lock handle down and removing the batteries. Then remove the 3 screws (two on the bottom and one in the middle) . Once the screws are out the circuit board assembly as a unit easily comes out. Hold the circuit board assembly with the board facing up and from right to left gently push the 4 clips (see pictures as the fourth is in the middle and not along the bottom edge) and swing the circuit board like you would opening a door. You will not need to disconnect the wiring harness. Once done simple push the motor (seep pictures) with your finger and you will most likely here and feel it click into place. Take a moment to manual turn the motor until the center gear (with the notch) is in the correct horizontal position with the notch up (see pictures). Once complete reverse the process of dis-assembly by swinging the circuit board closed and pushing the clips in left to right. Ensure the board is securely installed. Re-install the unit in the metal housing ensuring the notch is also facing up (see pictures). Insert the screws and reattach the device to the door.

A reset is recommended once you have completed this. To reset the lock simply hold the Schlage Logo on the keypad while reconnecting the battery pack. you will know the reset is complete when the unit flashes the green check-mark twice on the keypad as well as inside the red alarm button will flash. Now you are ready to use the lock and you won't need to return it.

I hope this helps anyone who receives a lock with this issue.
2020 comments|222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2015
I loved this lock when I first got it. I was able to leave my keys and truly go keyless. This lock easily paired with my home automation system and just in time. My son was visiting me but was not able to get in my home while I was at work. I was able to unlock the door for him from many miles away. My condominium neighbors were inspired to get this lock as well. But we all quickly changed our minds about the excitement of keyless entry after a few weeks of use. This lock drains batteries like nobody's business. Since February 2015, I used over 80 batteries (4AA at one time). I spent over $100 this year alone trying to find the right premium alkaline batteries as suggested by the manufacturer. The batteries last anywhere from 7 - 20 days maximum. I must carry my keys with me at all times because I never know when the battery is going to be dead and I won't be able to enter my home. I recently purchased alkaline rechargeable batteries. This won't solve the battery drainage problem nor will I be able to go keyless, but at least I can minimize the battery cost. Disappointed in Schlage. This could be a beautiful thing if the battery problem is resolved.
review image review image review image
2525 comments|428 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Color Name: Aged Bronze|Style Name: Camelot|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're considering this lock you really only have one of two choices to make: this one or the Kwikset SmartCode Deadbolt with Z-Wave Technology. There is another, older version of a Z-wave lock from Schlage that is cheaper, but it doesn't actually MOVE the deadbolt. All it can do is enable or disable the ability of a person to turn the deadbolt--if you leave the door unlocked and want to lock it remotely, you're out of luck. In my opinion, if you're going to bother with Z-wave locks, you really need to get the ones, like this, that can actually lock and unlock the door remotely. (If for no other reason than the supreme satisfaction you'll feel when you hit one button on your controller and you hear every deadbolt in your house click into place one after the other.) So, I'll just limit my review to a comparison between this Schlage unit and the aforementioned Kwikset lock. Fortunately for you, I happen to have a few of each.

The most obvious difference between this and the Kwikset is the price. This one, even when on sale, is almost twice the price of the Kwikset. Is it worth the money? Bottom line up front: If you just want a touch screen lock, buy this. If you need a Z-wave lock for a non-Nexia system, however, you may want to avoid this for reasons I discuss at the end.

WHAT'S GOOD

* It's sturdy. The Schlage uses a solid bolt, and much sturdier mechanism. It also has a dual layer plate that attaches very solidly to the jamb. The Kwikset is a hollow bolt, and uses a single thin plate that attaches to the jamb. I believe the Schlage is rated at a higher security level than the Kwikset, but regardless of the rating, the Kwikset isn't secure at all, for the following reason

* The Kwikset's rekeying technology is extremely vulnerable. Do a Google search for "Kwikset smart key bypass" and you'll see there are numerous videos showing how trivial it is to open a Kwikset smart key lock. And I'm not talking sophisticated lock picking or anything that requires knowledge. You can literally open the Kwikset lock in about 15 seconds with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, they are so poorly designed. I'm quite embarrassed I bought the Kwikset after seeing those videos. That alone, is reason to pay the extra money for the Schlage.

* The Schlage keypad is more weather resistant. The Kwikset uses soft rubber buttons, the Schlage uses a hard plastic touchscreen with embedded capacitive sensors. Having exposed rubber buttons on a device meant to be exposed to the elements 24/7 is a really poor design choice, and if you look at the Kwikset reviews, you'll see that people complain about its longevity. While I haven't had the Schlage as long as my Kwikset units, I suspect their approach of using hard plastic with embedded sensors is going to hold up much better.

WHAT'S BAD

Why only three stars given the above? Two reasons:

* The Display. The display is hard to read in direct sunlight. However, this tends to happen often since people tend to put deadbolts on OUTSIDE doors. Schlage should've raised the numbers a bit so they would be visible in the day.

* Shaky Z-wave integration. I've had trouble integrating the unit into my Z-wave network. I've heard of many others having trouble with this unit, too, and I've had no trouble with the Z-wave enrollment of my Kwikset units, so I'm going to assume that the Schlage is not conforming to the Z-wave protocol correctly. I suspect they only care about their own Nexia products, and only test with Nexia controllers. This is a pity; when people buy Z-wave locks they expect them to work with any controller, as Schlage advertises. This is the main reason why I can only give this product three stars. Much of the cost is in the Z-wave radio, and if they aren't going to play nice with other Z-wave products just so they can hit you with a monthly fee, they deserve to be downgraded.

IMPORTANT TIP

Regardless of whether you get this unit or another brand, let me offer some advice that will apply equally to ANY electronic lock: Use multiple codes for each member of the family! The reason for this is that if everybody uses the same number, pretty soon there will be fingerprints, or wear marks, on only four (or less) of the numbers. This makes it pretty obvious to a thief which numbers he needs to try, and the only question is which order. The problem is, with four numbers there are only 4! = 24 different things to try. (EDIT: Thanks to B. Kudlow, who pointed out that with three numbers in the code you actually get more combinations: 36). A thief could try that many combinations in a few minutes, even accounting for the time out for wrong codes, and would probably get the right one well before that. However, if multiple people are all using different codes, the wear and fingerprints should be evenly distributed over all the numbers, or at least enough numbers it's no longer trivial to try all the possible combinations. For example, if eight numbers are used, now the thief would have to try over 20,000 combinations before being likely to have found the right one.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Since I originally wrote this, Yale has come out with some great touchscreen deadbolts (Yale YRD220-ZW-ORB Real Living Electronic Touch Screen Deadbolt, Fully Motorized with Z-Wave Technology, Oil-Rubbed Bronze). I don't believe they carry the same ANSI rating as the Schlage, but they are otherwise excellent. Their main advantages over the Schlage are cosmetic: they look better, and are much quieter. If that's important to you, they are worth checking out. Amazon sells them as well. (I lucked into getting one of the Yale locks for free, in case you're wondering why one guy has tried three different brand of electronic lock.)
2626 comments|283 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2013
I'm just not happy with Schlage's lock or their attempt to force me into yet another monthly subscription service, Nexia.

In sum, to get full functionality from this product, it's too expensive compared to superior alternatives. Also, it will bloat your iPhone / Android with yet another app that only controls one or two devices, when there are other, free alternatives that will give you one app that will control everything.

I tried the Schlage lock, but purchased the Kwikset version (Z-wave) to install into four doors at our home. Here's why:

The Lock:
The lock operates via the touchscreen reasonably well, installation is more difficult than installing a standard deadbolt and requires that (if you are replacing older deadbolts as I did, that existing deadbolt holes are precisely aligned. If you have a hard time turning your deadbolt key without pushing / pulling / jiggling the door, you probably need to address that before installing any automatic lock.
The touchscreen is not sufficiently fingerprint-proof as mentioned in the product description unless you kids as the best hand washers in the history of humankind. This might or might not matter to anyone, but it's presented as (and probably is) a security feature to stop someone from learning your code by looking for smudges.
If you want to re-key this lock so that it matches your existing Schlage lock or matches other Schlage Camelot that you might want to install in your home, you'll need to visit a local locksmith.

The Nexia Service:
The Nexia Service is $107/year. It works with their (very limited) selection of products. Of the more than 50 smart devices in our home, we have one Trane HVAC thermostat that would also be controllable by Nexia. Two other HVAC controllers, countless light switches, door locks, temperature sensors .... (even two dog feeders!) can't be controlled by Nexia.

However ... they can ALL be controlled by EITHER / BOTH of two separate control bridges in our house. First, they can all be controlled by a mac-only software that controls Z-Wave and Insteon hardware called Indigo. Second, they can all be controlled by a cross-platform VeraLite by micasaverde (available on Amazon). Guess what? Both of these offer free monthly access to control all the devices via iPhone or Android. Its FREE. They also offer smart programming, like adjusting temps or lights based on time or day and other factors ... Sending you a text message if a lock is opened ... In short, they offer access to broader and more competitive, i.e. less expensive, class of Z-Wave and Insteon home control devices, like locks, thermostats, temp sensors, dog feeders, etc. It is my personal opinion that Nexia just won't survive in this competitive environment unless the Schlage is willing to subsidize it by increasing their hardware costs. The whole business model is wrong and bad for consumers, like us. Look into standard Z-Wave, Zigbee, or Insteon controllers and locks.

Yes, you can bring this lock into one of the systems I provided above, but they don't make it easy.

I went with the Kwikset Z-Wave deadbolts, which are available on Amazon. Kwikset isn't perfect, either, but it's better that Schlage. For example, their Z-Wave locks can be pretty easily brought into a MiCasaVerde Z-Wave/Insteon controller, but the keys also feature their SmartSet technology, which means that a consumer can re-key them without visiting a locksmith. It takes just seconds per lock. With little effort, these locks are integrated into my Indigo (Insteon and Z-Wave) system. I can lock and unlock them from my phone. If my wife and I want to walk the dog down the block, the house will send me a text message if either of our young children open the door, so that we can promptly see what they need. When we hit the "bedtime" button in the house, all the lights turn off, the doors lock, and the security system is armed. If one of the doors was left open ... I get a text message. That's all free from either Indigo or MiCasaVerde. It's more powerful than Nexia. (As one more example, when I turn on the lights in my home office, in which there is no thermostat, the Indigo system reads a temperature sensor in that room and decides whether or not to automatically turn on an oscillating fan or to turn on a window AC unit. Nexia just can't do that, even at $107/year).
3434 comments|464 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon February 27, 2013
If you want locks with keypads, Schlage gives you a number of choices. This new touchscreen deadbolt overcomes some of the limitations of their previous offerings. Their Schlage FE599GRNX CAM 619 ACC 619 Keypad Lever Home Security Kit with Nexia Home Intelligence(Z-Wave) gives you a good way to get started and even includes the z-wave controller. While it works well, it defeats the purpose of having an automated system unless your deadbolt is automated too. And frankly, with this deadbolt, I can't see a strong need for a locking handset. Schlage also offers a Schlage BE369NX CAM 619 Home Keypad Deadbolt with Nexia Home Intelligence but that too has its limitations. An advantage it has is battery life. Instead of moving the deadbolt, it enables or disables it. So you can't really lock it remotely, and "unlocking" is a matter of enabling it so somebody could turn the lock. Both of those solutions came up short, in my opinion, but they did work with the Z-wave controller within the realm of their capabilities.

There are several models of this new offering with different finishes to choose from. I tried several of them, and the installation process and function is identical for all of them. This model is attractive and less utilitarian looking than some of the others and the keypad works well without showing fingerprints. The style of the front and back, and all components is consistent. It's a big improvement over the keypad on the older models. This new lockset actually controls the deadbolt itself, and allows you to open it with a code, close it with the press of a button, have it lock itself after 30 seconds, as well as give it multiple codes. These are things that the Kwikset 910TRL ZW 11P SMT Traditional Deadbolt with Z-Wave Technology did all along. I don't have that model, but do have the non Z-wave model, which does all the things I mentioned. Adding Z-wave lets locks such as the Schlage do much more. You can lock this remotely, unlock it remotely, or remotely set up a one time code for somebody else to use. You could even add or remove codes using a remote computer or smartphone, add codes that work on a schedule, and allow access to some people only for given time frames.

Schlage marketed the handset version as a Z-wave model and stressed it so much that it failed to include instructions on how to program many of the functions manually. The instructions for this model are much better, and whether you use Z-wave or not, they will tell you how to use it. What they don't go into are some of the more advanced things you can do with Z-wave, such as having the lock open with a code that can also turn on (or off) the lights and readjust the thermostat, and a different sequence or set of tasks can be programmed for each code.

Earlier products were limited to four digit codes. Kwikset allows 4-8 digit codes, and now Schlage gives you a choice of anything from four to eight digits. The difference is that Kwikset doesn't require all codes to be the same length. So if you have a six digit code and want to set a code for your housekeeper using her phone number as the code, Kwikset will let you do it and Schlage won't.

Schlage also offers a comprehensive set of Z-wave products, so you can have a Trane TZEMT400BB3NX Home Energy Management Thermostat (Z-Wave) as well as lighting controllers and dimmers, as well as a variety of locks all controlled from the Nexia Home website or your smartphone. The down side is that you need to pay a monthly subscription, while there are systems on the market without monthly fees that should, in theory, work just fine with this lockset. Unfortunately, Schlage is only set up to give support for its own products, so if you want to use a different solution for Z-wave you are on your own. Whether the fee is justifiable depends on your needs.

The installation process was fairly straightforward, and not much more complicated than installing any deadbolt. Syncing this with the Schlage Z-wave controller is also straightforward, but I can't comment on using other brands of controllers. Unlike earlier models, this one comes with a single key. The marketing angle on this is that the key is used for emergencies and is not supposed to be used day to day. And I suppose that makes sense since codes are easier to use. Kwikset on the other hand has their smartkey feature, making it easy to key all compatible locks alike very quickly. The only reason I ever used a key on those models with keypads was after entering the wrong code and not wanting to wait until it would let me enter another one. I feel comfortable enough not carrying a key for this lock, primarily because I have multiple doors and the chances of all the locks failing is slim. There should also be ample warning that the batteries will need changing, so you should not get locked out because of dead batteries. I'll have to wait and see how long the batteries last on this model, but I know from experience that the motorized Kwikset locks needed batteries much more frequently than the older Schlage models.

Another nice feature that this has is that right after unlocking it with the code, you can quickly lock and unlock with the knob to override the 30 second automatic lock if you have that set up. So if you have multiple trips to make from the car when unloading groceries, it's nice not to have the motor constantly relocking the door. Locking manually resets this. What this one lacks is an alarm if the bolt can't close, such as when the door is ajar by a half inch and things don't line up. [Update: it will actually make a low volume beep when this happens.] Under that circumstance, the lock won't retry later. The Kwikset will sound its alarm and retry. I know this because I keep leaving the door slightly ajar with the Kwikset to keep it from locking me out every 30 seconds under these circumstances.

[Update: I didn't mention automation triggered by events, but with Z-wave and Nexia Home, here's a hypothetical example of one: "When the <front door> is opened with <user Bob code> then <turn on light 1> and <set thermostat to 85 degrees> and set <front door> <autolock> to <off>. Then <0> hours and <3> minutes later, set <front door> <autolock> to <on>and set <front door> <locked> and <set thermostat to 55 degrees>." The bracketed items are examples of what's allowed, and it seems to accept enough actions that I didn't hit a limit. So if you want to get around the 30 second problem but leave autolock on in case somebody leaves without locking the door, here's a way to do it.

With these automations, you can have an IF <a or b or c...> then <do E and F and G...> and after .... Aside from the trigger event, you can do as little or as much as you want, so simply setting it to turn off the light in 5 minutes would be a simple example. The one thing you can't do is have an If <a and b and...> type event, and you can't set an automation triggered by a manual lock or unlock.]

This lockset is also physically robust, with strong hardware for anchoring the striker plate, and the deadbolt looks about 50% thicker than the one on my corresponding Kwikset. There is a built in alarm feature that can be set to alert you to activity, tampering, or forced entry with a loud (smoke alarm level) alarm.

Overall this does everything I need in a deadbolt, and perhaps more. The robustness of the build, the improvement in the keypad, the alarm capability, and the ability to override the automatic locking when needed are enough to put this at the top of my list for deadbolts.

UPDATE: The keypad on one of them failed after about six weeks. After a lengthy attempt at diagnosing it over the phone, Schlage agreed to send a new one. It took less than two weeks to get it. They also told me that they want the old one back to try to diagnose it since they were not familiar with the particular problem. I'm expecting a return label from them. I did have an advantage since I have two similar locks, and was able to swap keypads to show that the rest of the lock worked. I can't speak for long term reliability, but they made good on the problem. I'll update this if anything goes wrong in the future.

UPDATE 2: Four months later, the keypad failed again. In the interim, Schlage figured out the cause of the problem and made an engineering change. All locks sold now feature the new design. Their statistics showed a 2% failure rate. The accuracy of that figure is based on the assumption that failures are reported to Schlage or locks are returned to stores for a refund, and returned to Schlage as defective. If any customers are throwing these in the garbage when they fail, then the rate is higher. Given the high cost of the locks, I'm assuming that customers will tend to complain, especially considering that all locks were under warranty when the problem was discovered and fixed. The change is too new to know what the failure rate will be for the redesigned keypad. Normally I'd knock off a star for this sort of problem, but since it doesn't represent what's currently being marketed, I'll leave things alone for now. This time it took under a week to get a replacement.

UPDATE 3: August 19, 2013 is the date that manufacturing switched over to the keypad with the engineering change. If you have a lock with a date code earlier than that, and it failed, Schlage will replace it free of charge. The date code is on the sticker inside the lock.

I would suggest that you read other reviews, and if they mention failures, pay attention to the date they were written.
0Comment|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2015
Installed lock 3 weeks ago, works perfectly direct and through smartphone.
It's very solidly built
Taste is personal, but I find it very good looking and more importantly, so did my wife, she was worried it would look "too techie"
The main reason I wanted to write a review is that I read a review that seemed very well written and it talked about going through 80 batteries in 6 months - of course that made me worried

I don't know what is wrong with that person's review, but I can report that after three weeks use and "playing" with the lock a lot, it is still reporting 100% and the lock is opening as strong as it did day one

Battery stamina does not seem to be an issue
review image
on March 3, 2014
I'm a software engineer and a home automation junkie. Without knowing it, I stumbled into my first automation project before middle school. Being a busy 10 year old as I was, I just couldn't be burdened with the task of turning off my bedroom light before and having to walk across the 12'x12' room to my bed. So I spent an afternoon rigged fishing line around the ceiling of my bedroom, built a wooden lever that would flip the light switch when the line was pulled, and cackled with pride every night as I turned the light off from bed. Fast forward 20 years: I'm that same little boy, but with much more sophisticated & expensive arsenal of toys.

I digress.

To be totally honest, I intentionally passed on this lock when I first saw it released in early 2013. Being a technology early adopter, I had already pre-ordered a Lockitron and had very high expectations. This Schlage lock looked a bit mundane in comparison and couldn't convince me to cancel my Lockitron pre-order. After waiting what felt like an eternity (15 months) for my Lockitron pre-order to see the light of day, I gave up and came crawling back to this item.

Build Quality & Finish
===========================
The build quality of this lock is good. The exterior parts are sturdier than the interior parts (rightfully so), though thats not to say the interior parts aren't well-made either. The lock mechanism works as expected with the provided key (HEADS UP: they only include 1 key, so uh...don't lose it).

I'm satisfied with the finish as well. When installed, this lock looks sleek, modern & secure, especially from the outside. Paired with the matching handleset (Schlage FE285 CEN 626 LAT Century Handleset), this is a very classy setup. I've only had it installed a few weeks and I've already gotten a handful of compliments! [/brag]

My one gripe with the finish is the backlight on the keypad. While the keypad is sturdier than I expected and requires only a light touch, the backlight doesn't illuminate all of the numbers evenly. Is it unreasonable for me to expect details like this? Maybe, but it stood out to me right away. Ultimately its a minor gripe, but I think it could be improved in future iterations of the product without much effort.

Installation
===========================
Installation was barely more difficult than a standard deadbolt. While I did have to drill a larger hole for the latch portion, I'm not sure that would be the same for everyone (the existing deadbolt was probably 35 years old).

Adding a passcode for the first time was fairly simple, though if you're not a friend of electronics, it might take you a couple tries.

Adding the lock to my SmartThings hub was fairly simple. A couple of notes on that:

1. You have to follow the provided instructions to actually turn on the Z-Wave functionality (it is OFF by default to save battery)
2. Once Z-Wave is enabled on the lock, go into your SmartThings app, go to "Things" and tap the "+" icon. Your lock should automatically be detected within 15 seconds or so, after which you can name it and save it.
3. IMPORTANT: it will probably take 20 minutes before the lock responds to commands from your SmartThings account! I've found several other people that experienced the same thing, so be patient!

Operation (-1 star, loud)
===========================
My first complaint with this lock's operation is how loud it is when it engages & disengages the bolt automatically. I expected it to be nearly silent, but there is a fairly sharp, noticeable "small motor" sound when it locks & unlocks. I'd compare it to the amount of sound a dustbuster makes, but for only about a second.

I also felt that the amount of play in the latch was a bit more than I expected. Once installed, I'm able to wobble the latch back and forth a few degrees in each direction. I've had other deadbolts that don't have much play at all. Not a deal breaker but something to note.

Overall
===========================
I'm happy. This lock filled a niche I didn't think about prior to owning it: non-tech savvy people. My mother-in-law is technology-averse, and had I gone the route of Lockitron, she'd still be needed a key for the deadbolt. Having the keypad solves that problem, with the bonus functionality of being able to retract her keycode at any time...(KIDDING!)

It looks good and filled my needs perfectly, so I'm really happy with this deadbolt and I'm satisfied with the value.
on September 27, 2013
Two separate units' keypads go dead and to get them back, battery connector has to be reconnected. We have two of these and on both of them, the front faceplate keypad will just go dead on us. In order to fix it, we have to take the back off, unhook the battery connector, wait 5-10 minutes and then replace connector and backplate. Lock works fine until the next time it ail just go dead. Frustrating as we have locked ourselves out multiple times. No response from Schlage about a resolution.
33 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2013
I would strongly advise against this deadbolt and Nexia in general. I bought this lock in May, I could never get it to work consistently with nexia. Then one day when I showed up at the house (a 2 hour ride from where Iive now) the lock was completely dead. They sent me a replacement (which took 3 weeks!!!). We couldn't get that to work. I spent a few days on the phone with tech support trying to get the whole thing sorted. We tried all sorts of resets and everything, but still neither of these two locks will work correctly and consistently. After months of back and forth, they tell me that they cannot refund me for the lock. And that they have to talk to "corporate" to see if they can refund me for the bridge and the subscription fee. So I guess we'll see about that. And to top it off, the guy on the phone at nexia was just rude, really rude. As if I should have been satisfied to be stuck with their expensive lock that I can't use, after months of the run around.

I would highly recommend avoiding this company and trying something else. I think I'll give Mi Casa Verde a shot, anything has to be better than this.
33 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this installed with little issues, just like most of the other people. I was replacing a deadbolt so it was a straight drop into place. My only complaint on the install is that after you connect the inner part to the electronic connector coming from the keypad outside, there's plenty of wiggle room with the cable length UNTIL you have to tuck it in the track - then I could barely get the whole assembly to slide over the shaft it needs to go onto without the cable pulling out of the recessed track you have to use to make the large interior box sit flush on the door.

The programming frustrated me at first but then I realized I had missed the fact that I had to press the digit for the length of the codes I wanted to use TWICE. Once I learned that and could set the code length, the programming was flawless. Also note that ALL codes must be the same length, and if you change the length, it wipes all the existing codes.

The unit itself is nice, physically, although I'm predisposed to be less than happy with anything that requires a monthly fee for some part of it to work. For the list price, you'd think you should at least be able to access it locally without their service. I have another Schlage electronic Nexia unit, the knob with the built in keypad, that I use for my door from the garage into the laundry room, and I found that you can get a micasaverde unit so that you can use Z-wave products without any monthly fee, so I may look into that for both of them.

The next disappointment was that it only comes with one key. I've never had any kind of door securing product, locking knob or deadbolt, that didn't come with at least TWO, figuring in many households there may be more than one person who would need it in case of electronic / mechanical failure of the unit. Yes, it's easy to get a duplicate made, but for this list price, not adding a second key just seems like a cheap decision.

I like the looks, the black doesn't bother me since I have a very high tech house and my furniture and electronics are black anyway, so this actually matches my interior better than any other option I've seen. I like having the visual cue with the deadbolt knob to easily glance and see that it's actually deadbolted (which isn't necessary with the auto lock feature anyway, but still nice if you have a little twinge of OCD and like to double check things yourself still).

The keypad is nice, I'm also one who didn't necessarily like the stick out rubberized number pads either. But while it doesn't get fingerprints, it still collects oil from the skin, so it's not a perfect surface always.

Another thing I didn't like, if you have a nexia account, there's an online cancellation procedure you have to go through, answering all the questions and such, but then they *STILL* require you to CALL them to cancel it otherwise they'll keep billing you. I find that completely unacceptable - why bother making you go through the whole online procedure if it doesn't count and you have to call anyway? Save yourself the trouble, just call them and don't bother with the online part of the process.

Now, this was where I was very disappointed. Unit seemed fine, but when you first power it up, it's supposed to go through some deadbolt operations, and you're supposed to wait until it finishes before you continue. Mine never was able to do those initial operations. I was able to program just fine, got the length of the code set to what I desired, added a code, and tried it. I heard the motor working but the bolt never moved. The motor spins in there, but on mine apparently there's something either broken or not manufactured right, because it's not actually MOVING anything. I even pulled the inner section back off, kept it connected, and tried, and nothing. So it's not an issue with tension. There's three screws holding the entire mechanical/electrical assembly to that inner rectangular part, so I took it out, and you can see all the gears inside, and not a single gear is moving when the motor actuates.

So while I'm sure that if this works, it's a decent unit and probably worth three or maybe four stars if you stretch it (at least when it's being sold for half the insane list price), I can't give it more than a one, because I've yet to see that it could actually function. I did contact support but since it was a free Vine program evaluation item, I'm expecting that they won't jump through hoops to make it work. If they do somehow get it to work or replace it, I'll update this accordingly.

Edit 4/17/13 - Called the support number, since the email support simply told me to do a reset on the device - hardly makes a difference to reset the electronics when the physical gears are the problem. Did it anyway, no luck, so got phone support on the line, got a support person who really wan't much more than a cheerleader for the product and kept telling me how great these were and how much people liked them. Did me no good as I had one that was completely useless as anything other than a standard knob and key deadbolt. She did not comprehend the problem of the gears not turning. She also kept talking about resetting and programming - none of which makes a difference when you can see the motor inside spinning just like it should, just when it should, except that it's not even physically touching the gear it is supposed to be meshed with. All the electronic resets in the world won't make ANY difference when the gears are not properly installed. I'm going to guess there's manufacturing issues and that the quality is not consistent... Sounds like a great unit when it works, but it's a total waste when you get one in my condition.
99 comments|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse