Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on November 1, 2008
I found my first Schlemmertopf at a yard sale, never used and with instructions. Ten years later I own 6 different sizes including some Romertopf brands. I don't use anything else for baking, ever, with the exception being obvious things like pizzas or cookies. So far I have found many of mine second-hand; I believe this is because people don't use the bakers properly and think they don't work.

Let me be clear on this: you need to read the instructions. I'm not used to doing that, so I'm very grateful I did this time. You MUST soak the baker in water before using for the first several times. The terra cotta absorbs the water and then diffuses it inside the baker during cooking. This creates a moist atmosphere and a naturally-occurring broth for meats. After it becomes seasoned with regular use, you rarely or never have to soak it again. Soap, cleaners or the dishwasher must never be used as the terra cotta absorbs the "flavor" of soap and this will ruin your food, however they clean up really well with water. The bakers turn out perfect, moist roasts, meatloafs (no need for a special meatloaf pan!) and chickens and food generally cooks in less time. The coloring of the bakers will change with use, just chalk it up to part of the charm of using "real" cookware.

Whenever I am cooking for company, they ask about the bakers - apparently few people have seen them or know anything about them. For that reason, they make great gifts for people who love to (or simply have to) cook.
11 comment55 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2010
My husband and I received a clay roaster for a wedding gift 26 years ago and now our 24 year old son bought his first house and wanted one really bad. This one is alittle larger then ours and has the bottom glazed which ours does not but still works the same and makes the the beef roast just as delicious as my husbands. My family thinks this is the only way to make a roast. No other roaster will do. I highly recommend this product.
11 comment11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2009
I highly recommend this product to persons seeking to lower there fat intake and keep the flavor in there meals, your baked fowl will be juicy and browned to perfection, your beef and pork dishes will fall off the bone,fish will be flaky and cooked to please. This item is a must have for cooks that know there way around the kitchen and those that are new to cooking.I have given several clay pots as wedding presents and off to college presents.
I can't say enough about the advantages of clay pot cooking and this product you will just have to try it for yourself.
on October 17, 2010
I was given one of these as a gift and it took me two years to actually use it. Now it's the only thing I use to roast vegetables, as I'm a vegetarian - no meat. As soon as I'm out of leftovers, I roast up another batch immediately. Aside from the comedic hilarity that ensued the first time I tried to soak it before using - by trying to give it a bath in my bathtub - this thing is easy as pie to use and clean. I adore it and wish I could afford to give everyone on my holiday list one this year.
on March 12, 2012
I didn't learn how to cook until I was in my mid twenties. I determined that I was tired of eating deli foods and take-out, and so I bought a glazed Schlemmertopf. I don't recall what prompted me to buy it. The first dish I made, (seriously) was a tater-tot casserole. Then a tuna casserole. Then one day, a hamburger-tomato sauce concoction, which proved disastrous because the moment I placed the roaster on my counter it broke into several pieces and my casserole promptly oozed all over my counter and down the cabinets of the galley kitchen in my (then) studio apartment. I hadn't read the directions. Thus began my cooking career. I bought another one, and this time read the instructions. Ah. I hadn't soaked the cooker, and even worse, I had brought it out of a hot oven and placed it on a cold surface. Duh. Fast forward untold years later... I cook daily and well and I have a few of these roasters that I use regularly. Though I am occasionally moved to revisit my roots with a tater tot hot dish, I now use my roaster for curries and breads and vegetables of every sort. My roasters have the beautiful patina of use; darkened areas and stains. They are beautiful to present at the table. And they do what they are supposed to do, namely, roast food in a moisture-rich environment. A modicum of care in use will ensure wonderfully cooked food. I soak the top and bottom for 10 minutes before every use, make sure I put the roaster into a cold oven, and make sure that I do not expose it to sudden changes in temperature. P.S. the best clay pot cookbook I've yet seen is 'Clay Cookery', published by the editors of Consumer Guide. I'm sure it's out of print, but should be easy to find online.
22 comments6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2009
The Schlemmertopf Glazed Clay Cooker is wonderful for slow cooling in the oven. It shortens the time need to fully cook meat. The only problem with this one is there was a bubble in the glaze when it was fired and the grease from the meat has gone through to the clay and will just keep spreading under the glaze. I'm not sure who I would report the problem to. I've had one for many years and really like them. Lucille S
on November 29, 2010
Love it love it love it. I use this for a lot of casseroles and pretty much don't use anything else now for stews and one pot meals that go in the oven. No problems and works as intended. Booklet has some nice recipes and you are only limited by your imagination.
on December 10, 2011
If you want healthy, delicious food without having to slave standing up in front of a stove, then the Schlemmertopf Classic Glazed Cooker is the answer to your prayers. Soak your clay pot, put all ingredients in and then place in a cold oven. Set your temperature and your timer and walk away. Most recipes take about an hour, so you can go off and do other chores...you will come back to a beautiful, delicious meal that is both pleasing to the eye and to the palate.
on May 4, 2010
My wife is German and this cooker allows us to experience the delights of authentic German cookery. It's worth the price.
on May 17, 2011
LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook in Clay pots like this. Easy to clean, bakes everything so evenly, and retains all the yummy flavor.

Was packaged securely, and arrived exactly when promised in the condition promised.

If you haven't tried baking in a Glazed clay cooker, YOU NEED TO!