5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended
Lillian's father deserts his wife and young daughter literally, and then her mother deserts her figuratively -- disappearing deeply into the solace of books as a coping mechanism. As Lillian takes on the management of the household, she discovers an intuition for cooking and uses food alchemy to try to reach her mother. Later, when grown, Lillian applies this intuition to...
Published on January 22, 2009 by emmejay

2.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to LOVE it.
I saw the great reviews and the book summary and was really expecting to LOVE this book. It was even my recommendation for our ladies book club. We only select female authors, agree with Ms. Bauermeister's perspective on promoting them and love cooking classes and food. At the discussion session for the book though, the other ladies walked away with feelings similar to...
Published on September 4, 2009 by Sparkle

‹ Previous | 117 18 1940 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, November 2, 2013
I really enjoyed this book. I love that she "worshipped" the food when she was cooking that it meant that much to her. I love that this class helped all of the people with that time in their lives. I only wish it had the recipes at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome !!!!, November 1, 2013
Gosh this book was so good I hated for it to end. I can't wait to read the sequel. Reading this made me want to learn how to cook the way the main character in the book cooks. This is a really awesome book to read. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars could eat it up, October 31, 2013
Ranger "Yooper" (Manistique, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Very fascinating book. Anyone who likes character development will love this one. Enjoyed the description of menus and foods as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Lessons of grace, October 31, 2013
NS "artlover" (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
I really liked this book after struggling a bit with the first chapter. Lillian, the main character, loved food and people and treated both with grace, acceptance and wonder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, October 31, 2013
This was a good light hearted read. I also learned a few things about cooking along the way. I would recommend the book to family and friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable reading, October 31, 2013
Eileen J. Snearly (Schererville, IN, US) - See all my reviews
Good reading..I passed these books on to another book club member.......
I will recommend "The School of Essential Ingredients" for book club.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was over to soon., October 29, 2013
Every enjoyable story from start to finish. Looking forward to more from ms. Barrister's. She's intuitive Interesting characters and story

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read!, October 26, 2013
Amazon Customer (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This book was a perfect fit for someone who not only loves to cook, but enjoy the time in the kitchen it takes to create. The kitchen is the heart of the home and has many stories to tell. This author did an excellent job of telling those untold kitchen stories. I loved how she weaved the characters' stories into each other and provided background for each one. Her use of descriptive words made me smile often. This was a great book for me. I will definitely recommend that my dear friend,who also loves and appreciates creating and speaking through food.

4.0 out of 5 stars simple but appeals to the senses, October 25, 2013
This book was a little like a collection of short stories, with a back story for a collection of characters, connected through a cookery class. Each character was highly likable, but perhaps not very deeply explored. While this might not sound terribly exciting, the language used to tie the characters together is wonderfully sensual, magnificently descriptive and warm. Don't read this book if you are hungry, because it invites your appetite in, and you may be left wanting a little more...

5.0 out of 5 stars cooking and eating elevated, October 21, 2013
I was sorry when the book ended. The author beautifully and sometimes lyrically shows the effect food and taste can have on people.

‹ Previous | 117 18 1940 | Next ›

The School of Essential Ingredients
The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (Hardcover - January 22, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.87