Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 3, 2011
I've had lots of the US-made Schrade knives. They've all been at least decent, and many have been wonderful. This one does NOT live up to the old standards, however. Overall, it's about as good as the US knives were, except for the blade. The Chinese Old Timers I've handled (and this one is no exception) have all come from the factory with a poor cutting edge. A few minutes with my ceramic hones put an okay edge on this one, but I doubt it will ever be as sharp as the Schrade knives of the 1990's were, right out of the box. Schrade is still a viable choice, but don't expect the same quality we grew up with.
on December 12, 2013
I have had a vintage USA made version of this knife for many years and I would fight the Hulk over it. The blade is worn down considerably but along with my Sharpfinger of the same vintage it is the most prized knife in my collection. I finally decided that rather than keep wearing the blade down more or risk losing it I would retire it and replace it with a newer one. I just received it yesterday and although I'm sure it will never measure up to my first one It is still a good quality knife at a reasonable price and I'm sure I can expect many years of good service out of it. The reason for only a 4 star rating is the fact that it was manufactured in China and arrived with a small nick on the edge.

Update: I neglected to mention this knife arrived somewhat dull and with a slight nick on the edge. I'm sure that is the rare exception rather than the rule and a few minutes on an Arkansas stone repaired the edge.
on April 13, 2013
I really like the design of this knife. Weight and blade seem to be fine for my purposes. My only real concern is the locking mechanism. It is tight and difficult to release. It is not (for me) a thumb release, single hand process. I often find that I have to use 2 hands to release the blade for safety's sake.
on October 23, 2003
There is something special about a single-bladed pocket knife. They are simple and straight forward -- and you only have to sharpen one blade! A definitive example of this is Schrade's Old Timer 3 7/8 liner lock folder. It is, in a word, classic. It has a wonderful look in its slim, gently curving length of blade and handle. The materials are top of the line: nickel silver bolsters, brass liner, high carbon steel blade. The handles are sawcut Delrin, colored a combination light and dark brown. A big plus, in my opinion, is the liner lock device. Its nice to know your blade is locked in place while cutting; and you can unlock the blade and close the knife one-handed. Its just heavy enough to remind you its in your pocket, a plus in helping you keep track of it and not loose it. (I have lost far too many light weight pocket knives!) I carry this tool in my jacket. I use it for cutting twine on hay bails, sharpening pencils, opening packages, at the dinner table as a stake knife, and a dozen other uses. It is rugged and well made with a high standard of fit and finish. I have no doubt it will last a very long time. Schrade hasn't priced this knife cheep but for the quality you're getting its reasonable.
on April 19, 2013
The Schrade Gunstock Trapper is a nice little knife for the money. Yep, it's made in China but the quality seems to be on par with other Schrade Old Timer knives.

It's a bit big (long) for putting in your front pocket for everyday use. But if you're a tradesman, it may be the perfect knife for you. If you’re looking for a “gentleman’s knife”, I’d go smaller. I own an Schrade 30T Old Timer that is perfect for everyday carry. The locking blade is a great feature and the locking mechanism works well. The blade has a nice shape and length to it. Fairly solid knife.
on December 24, 2015
When I was much younger the 194OT Gunstock Trapper by Schrade USA was the first knife I bought with my saved allowance as a kid.Let me tell you I fell in love with this knife!I could clean fish,breast a duck,clean rabbit and squirrel (minus quartering of course),wood carve and do yard work with it comfortably.Dropped it plenty of times with just small chips in the delrin scales from striking rocks.Essentially this offering by Taylor Cutlery I didn't really like it and here's my thoughts on that...

*Well the liner lock on this imported version isn't as thick in brass stock as the old model.Also it doesn't travel all the way to the right it sits just a little ways out under the blade.Kind of springy from the thin brass if you press gently on the spine...not as rigid as the USA original.

*The handles are still sawcut but don't look dark and light brown like the original and the stock photo.It's more like black and tan with a flat color job.I actually dropped this knife on my basement floor and put a good crack in one of the scales.I'm not convinced it's real delrin...possibly a basic plastic.Both materials respond differently to impact and between the two delrin is a much more promising handle material to accidental drops.

*In sharpness the blade is comparable to my old 194OT.Flat out what made Old Timer Knives so desireable was the use of 1095 Carbon Tool Steel on the vast majority of their knives.It sharpens quicker than stainless and comes back much sharper.And it's about 1.03% in carbon with a hard edge...blows away a lot of steels in performance by sacrificing rust resistance.Tarnishing it and a little oil take cares of it from developing rust as a tool steel.Now I can live with stainless but this 7Cr17 I just don'tlike and don't find it remotely comparable to 440A.It takes an edge but just doesn't hold it.I'm guessing it's lightly heat treated.It's not like it will dull if you cut a few pieces of rope but it might as well be a gas station knife ...there's just no heat treatment quality of any kind.

Bottom Line:
If this knife was made by Frost or United Cutlery I could guarantee there would be far less reviews on the 194OT.The name 'Schrade' and familiar appearance helps sell the product.An imported knife multi-line company can make a lot of money if they acquire the trademark and legal rights to the specs of a famous American knife brand.Make it on a assembly line in China and cut the right corners against the originals you can save pennies and increase production simultaneously.In case you haven't noticed these newer Schrade's aren't gracing hardware stores,dept. stores,tractor and feed stores,or a small selection in mechanic's shops anymore like the USA originals.You find them in abundance among the pile of actual cheap quality knives from China in baskets at flea markets or on the internet.And it's not entirely because it's from China as a brand designing and creating their own products from scratch.It's because it's a carbon copy of a former quality American product put through the Chinese wood chipper to resell like nothing ever happened...it's bad business for rural communities.
on March 31, 2009
Have several Schrade Knives and four of these Trapper Single Lock blades.
2 made in the states years ago and 2 purchased since original plant closed.
All good reliable blades. Holds an edge. Good lock back, sturdy work knife.

The new production knife holds an edge for me as well as the old. For the $$$ it is a good blade...
on September 28, 2013
I recently lost a much older version of this knife, so I wanted to replace it. I needed the "lock blade" feature because I have had many other non-locking jackknives fold up on me. This one looks like my older one (mostly), but the action is much stiffer. "Made in the USA" cannot be replaced by made in China.
on March 2, 2016
I am 55 years of old age and I have had a few knives over the years and I have to say this is the best pocket knife I have ever owned. I wish it was made in the USA instead of China, they did a fantastic job putting this knife together. Perfect size for me, closed 3 13/16, open 6 7/8, cutting edge 2 5/8, blade length 3 1/8. Received it from the Blade Shop in less than 4 days from ordering. Great job AMAZON and Blade Shop for your service.
on December 7, 2014
You know, you get what you pay for. This is inexpensive for a reason. The blade is plenty sharp, and it's a good looking knife. That's the plus qualities. Now for the negative:The center pin, of the three, wasn't ground flat to the knife. i believe this would snag in a pocket. It is a type of a locking blade which should be a SELLING point, however you have to fumble with the mechanism to both lock it and unlock it. Like I said, "you get what you pay for". I would pass on this knife.