5.0 out of 5 stars None better for the money
Published 21 months ago by Tony D. Baker

2.0 out of 5 stars no
not the same if you are looking to replace one you had in the 1990's. china made now. smaller. cheaper built. look at SOG products for a quality multi tool. you can even go to their website and order custom tools to put in your multi tool.
Published on July 29, 2010 by G. Lingo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars no, July 29, 2010
G. Lingo (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars None better for the money, October 20, 2012
Tony D. Baker "eicrifle" (Rural Leavenworth County, KS, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schrade ST1NB Tough Tool Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've used this tool for over ten years, having bought replacements for lost ones along the way. I too saw the reduction in quality when they began to manufacture these in China, and like the other reviews, was disappointed in the noticeable drop-off in quality some years ago. The tool I just bought (Oct 2012) is just fine. Apparently, Schrade finally hired a decent quality control manager for the Chinese factory these are made in because the quality is back. On top of having everything you could possibly want in a tool like this, the design feature I like the most is the handle function while using the pliers / wire-cutter will not close so far as to pinch a chunk of your palm flesh as some of the other brands will do. You cannot beat this for the money. Buy two.

1.0 out of 5 stars Old styles were better, now junk., October 21, 2011
This review is from: Schrade ST1NB Tough Tool Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
I had my older style of Schrade tool worked wonderful for 15 years, newer ones are very cheaply made.
move on to the Leatherman tools, they look to be a little better made.
Caution you before you purchase this, you may be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars I really want to like this tool, but..., June 7, 2011
This review is from: Schrade ST1NB Tough Tool Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
...as much as I try, it has some problems I can't get past.

1) This tool follows the design of the USA-made Tough Tool, but its execution doesn't live up to the original. It's about 1/2 oz lighter. It's tools are thinner and the edges are not well-honed. The scraping blade and leather bore are butter knife dull. The locks don't function as they should. 3 of the 4 locking blades can be unlocked with only a slight pressure. Finally, the handle on one side is slightly twisted. While it doesn't affect the grip in the open position, it's clearly visible and when in the closed position, doesn't lay flat on its back. While the satin finish version is extremely loose to the point it has a butterfly-knife-like opening/closing action, the black tool can be adjusted to your preference. This means the handles have no tension to keep them open, so they flop loosely and may be a nuisance while using the pliers.

2) The sheath is decent, but it doesn't truly fit the tool. It's too small for a proper fit. It will function, but the flap barely meets the velcro to close.

I really like the Schrade Tough Tool design. I prefer all locking blades, but nobody else has a similar design. I own 2 original tools, version 1 with serrated blade and version 2 with saw blade. I want to hold those back for my collection, so they won't be damaged as my primary user might be. I'd like to have a warranty to fall back on, too, if needed. This is not the same tool. For the money, I wouldn't mind it, so long as the tool performed and did so safely. In this price range, you're better off to save your money for a bit and buy a Leatherman Wave. Consider also finding an original on eBay. They are still out there at about this price range. FYI, the last version of the USA-made Tough Tool used the same type of cast steel pliers head as the china made tool. Don't let that impact your feelings about this tool. The original laminated pliers head was only offered on version 1 and 2. Version 3 is solid cast steel, but appears to have rivets, however the rivets are just for appearance. One last thing, the black version of the STT is currently being issued to the Australian Defense Force, the military in Australia. They hate it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Made in China, but still a good product, December 1, 2012
This review is from: Schrade ST1NB Tough Tool Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
I purchased this for a family member's emergency kit bag. I discounted all of the normal china-mart multi-tools as useless junk. Schrade is a name brand I have trusted for many years, and decided to take a chance on this reasonably priced product. I can not attest to it's long term durability, but handling this product it is of reasonably solid construction, and the major tools lock and unlock properly. If not completely abused, I believe this tool will hold up well, and for under $20, it is easily replaceable. It comes with a good quality nylon sheath w/velcro closure, and a surprisingly good set of instructions. I'm so impressed with this Schrade multi tool, I will probably buy one for myself, as I'm tired of shelling out $70+ every time my Leatherman WAVE is lost or walks away from me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Multi tool, February 3, 2012
julie szkwarek (Shillington, PA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schrade ST1NB Tough Tool Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have a few multi tools, this one was purchased as an extra. It seems to be made half decent. I mean for the price I really can't complain it's pretty much what I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than what I expected, February 4, 2011
This review is from: Schrade ST1NB Tough Tool Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
I read all the reviews for this and still purchased it. I have been very impressed so far. This is a very well made multi-tool. It does have four different locking tools. People complain it doesn't hold up to hard use, well if you want hard use tools use the real thing not a multi-tool. This thing is perfect for anything you need a multi-tool to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better quality than previous, July 15, 2014
This review is from: Schrade ST1NB Tough Tool Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
Much better quality than previous. I bought my first back when they were made in the USA. Great product! Returned it for warranty repair (screwdriver broke). Replacement was SH*T! Have had two Leathermen since; while the quality is there, you pay for it. But I took a chance on Schrade and bought this to stick in my truck for emergencies, mainly because I love the way the tool is set up. The quality is back up to what the old ones were; worth the price and then some.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2/3 useful., March 7, 2014
This review is from: Schrade ST1NB Tough Tool Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
The tool is useful, like the original, 'non black' model. The Phillips head is useless and takes away about a third of the reason I carry a multitool.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Best China Has to offer, February 4, 2014
This review is from: Schrade ST1NB Tough Tool Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is a great intro level multi tool for an 8 year old. They keep safety in mind, with the blades on this thing coming extremely dull. That's ok though since they are covered in paint. And if this is a Phillips head screwdriver I've been grossly misinformed all my life. To end on a positive note, it looks really neat. It truly is a "tough tool" and will last forever , because you'll never use it. If this is the best schrade has to offer then maybe they should just stop.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›