4.0 out of 5 stars Nice insurance.
I like the compact and lightweight features of this unit. It has enough power to start a car with very low charge. However, it only has enough juice for 1 or 2 attempts of starting the vehicle. Maybe I have to recharge the unit a few more times to get peak performance.

Published on January 3, 2008 by Tool Junkie

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy
I bought this unit, and used it once - was never able to recharge.. I finally took the unit apart to see what was going in and there were several wires that were shorted and burned out.
Published on September 16, 2010 by binster

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice insurance., January 3, 2008
This review is from: Schumacher IP-125 Instant Power Jump Starter With 12 Amp Hour Battery (Misc.)

One gripe is that there is no cord to an outlet. You have to provide an extension cord to charge the unit. Make sure it's a heavy gauge cord too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked when it needed to, July 21, 2008
I had to use it twice so far and both times it started my Jeep Grand Cherokee without any problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product, April 4, 2009
I have used this for five months now. I love this little battery. It hold a lot of power and starts my car easily when the battery is run down. The price was great and it is easy to recharge. I took the advise of another reviewer and us a computer cord to recharge. That is the only thing I wish were different. I wish it had its own power cord.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent product, June 16, 2009
YYY (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
I purchased a previous version of this (back then the product name was the "Mighty-Mite") although the color (mine is more towards black) and the graphics have changed. I don't believe the product itself has changed much, with the buttons and lights in exactly the same place.

Despite the size, it has worked great over the years. I purchased two back in 2006 and they still work well.

I'm not docking off a star, but there are little things that have to be understood for this product to be more useful. Sometimes the automatic charging system doesn't stop, although the charging current is probably so small that there's little risk of damaging the internal battery. I've found that disconnecting then reconnecting showed a green "charged" indicator in those cases. Since the current draw is pretty small, you can safely use something like a simple household extension cord. Since the plug is recessed, the way I've dealt with it was to use a 2 to 3 prong adapter, which serves as an extension of the plug. The other alternative is to get something like an outdoor electrical cord with an end that will fit in the recessed area. I rather prefer this to the ones with wall-wart adapters, since I can easily obtain replacement extension cords and 2/3 prong adapters on the road and can keep different sets in the house and car. I don't particularly like storing wall-warts in the car, especially given how delicate the thin cable is.

It doesn't come with a male-male cord to recharge off of the 12 V accessory port. You can also use those to maintain the power in a car (like electric presets) when you're changing a car battery. Amazon has it, although Schumacher also sells it directly.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great., July 22, 2010
Edit: I've used this thing a lot, being that I hardly leave the house and have two cars. It will start a dead as a door nail battery several times before needing recharging. End Edit.

Edit 2: 2014 and this thing still works.

I had a battery that only provided enough power to make a click when turning the key. I ordered this, charged it for a day and hooked it to my battery. Finding the proper grounding spot is critical. I was alerted to the fact that I found a good ground finally after the 2004 Nissan Frontier Pickup's interior lights came on and the ding (key in ignition with open door) started blaring. The truck started right up.

I then later used it to start a battery in a 2000 Mustang. The battery was very drained and the car would not start, similar to the above scenario. Found the ground spot and the car started. After plugging the device back up, in less than an hour it was fully recharged.

I recommend a standard orange extension cord for this. The male end in the charger is recessed and you'll need a cord with an inline female socket that will plug directly in.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best jump starters out there, January 19, 2008
I own 3 of these, and I've bought 5 of them because I've given away two others.

What I really like about this unit are two things. First, you can turn the power off which can prevent accidents. Second, to charge it all you need is an extension cord. I love this because I had two other chargers and I had to have their specific wall plugs to charge them up, I have a LOT of wall chargers and they get lost or you can't remember which one goes to which. With the wall plug is it easy, you can charge it anywhere anyplace. Get a $1.99 computer cord and you can juice it up anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked right out of the box, August 4, 2010
D. OBrien (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
I conveniently broke down in front of a hardware store. I went in and found this product. I opened it up and pushed the battery status button. It showed yellow status (50% to 75%), so I figured it was worth a try.

Took it out to my car and started it instantly. The instructions say to charge it for 36 hours first so I thought it was outstanding that it would start the car with the residual charge from the factory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, and better than any I've owned before., January 12, 2010
I give the IP-125 4 stars. The pros are that it works as advertised in giving instant power. I've owned other jump starters from Auto Shack like places and even on a full charge, either I would have to wait a while after turning them on or they would not jump larger cars. I just received my IP-125 a few days ago and had to jump my SUV. Ignition turned within seconds! My only gripe, and maybe mine is different from another reviewer, but there is no on/off switch on the unit. The red button in the picture is for checking the charge. So when storing it, you are warned not to let the live clamps touch or there will be arcs! Maybe thats the beauty of its operation but I take one star for not having this safety feature.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, September 16, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars A few problems, December 30, 2009
quiet (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This little jump starter does work. I've used it twice so far to start my Grand Marquis when the battery was almost completely drained. You need to have a very good connection for the ground or it will pop when you crank the engine. It took me a couple tries to find a good spot.

This thing is completely useless out of the box without a power cord. Someone mentioned using a computers power supply cord but that does not work. Maybe the unit has changed, I tried 5 or so different computer cords and none of them would fit. So make sure you get an extension cord.

After the first use it started acting strange with the lights (showing red + green) so I just pressed the reset button a few times and let it recharge overnight and everything was back to normal.

I give it 4 stars because it is so small and starts my V8, if it came with a power cord it would get 5.