5.0 out of 5 stars Solid charger that seems to be built to last...
I had another electronic style charger, purchased a few years ago from Sam's Club. Not bad, just not durable and it gave up the ghost...

Published on February 13, 2011 by RMC_SS_LDO

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Schumacher bites the dust.
Published 21 months ago by Papa Bear

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid charger that seems to be built to last..., February 13, 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Schumacher SC-10030A SpeedCharge 2/12-30/100 Amp Automatic Charger and Maintainer (Automotive)

I was referred to Schumacher by some friends in the auto repair business and wanted a unit that was reliable and was versatile, charging different types and sizes of batteries. We have a vehicle and a motorcycle that doesn't get used regularaly and I needed to be able to top off various batteries.

1st impressions, this thing is HEAVY compared to other brands! Not a big surprise since I have to assume they use a more robust transformer than other brands.

On the flip side, the battery leads are lighter and smaller than I would have expected. They work great and since Schumacher has been doing this for quite a few decades, I'm sure they will work well for the long haul- I just expected larger gauge wires and larger clips. As a plus, the smaller clips actually are easier to connect to various batteries, especially if they are still installed (motorcycle).

Other surprise is this thing is loud, with a constant hum when plugged in. It is normal based on the transformer, but it is different than the cheaper chargers out there. This is not a bad thing, just a little different.

I have already used this charger on a truck battery and a couple smaller batteries with no problems. It works as advertised and quickly. I like the fact that it will automatically charge then shift to a float charge mode and includes a desulfide mode if needed. Since some of my stuff sits (bike and lawn mower) the desulfide function is great to recover a battery. Haven't tested the start function and likely won't but it's there if needed...

Overall, pleased and would buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brought back dead batteries, December 8, 2010
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
Have a diesel truck that is setting most all the time. Over a long period of time the alarm system and other gadgets drained the battery. Was probably this way for many weeks. Not good for a battery at all. This truck has a diesel that requires two batteries to start. After recharging the batteries many times with another non-automatic charger and a smaller version of this charger, they would not take a full charge and trip out the smaller charger/maintainer. This charger, Schumacher SC-10030A SpeedCharge Automatic Charger and Maintainer, has a de-sulfation mode for batteries that suffer this type of trauma. Over night, about 12-14 hours later the battery finally accepted a full charge. I verified this by using the same smaller maintenance/ maintainer battery charger that continually tripped out. Once I had a fully charged battery, I installed the smaller maintainer, and it turned green indicating a full charge and now maintains the batteries..

Two problems. 1) this charger in my opinion is too large to be a maintainer / conditioner. It does the job but has a fan that goes on and off. Probably uses too much electricity. 2) When ever the charger goes into maintain mode, it sets off my remote controlled alarm system on the truck. I had to put the truck alarm on valet to prevent this.

lloken

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice charger, February 1, 2012
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I put the charger into service the day I got it and was pleased with the speed with which it charged the battery of my car. I like the fact that you can see the on-going charging percentage and thus get a good idea of how long it will take to complete the charge. Another good attribute is the fact that this device doesn't have any air vent slits cut into the top of the case which would otherwise make it susceptible to getting shorted out. This is what in fact happened to my Craftsman charger. While using it one day, it began to snow unexpectedly and by the time I remembered that the charger was sitting alongside the car instead of under the hood, some snow had gotten into the air vents on top of the unit, landed on the open circuit board inside and proceeded to short it out. On a less than positive not - but not a critical issue, is the fact that the unit came with the front sticker which displays the information for the various functions out of alignment and was actually causing some of the function lights to be partially covered up. All-in-all, though I'm please with the product and feel that I got a good value for the price and it does meet my expectations.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Schumacher bites the dust., June 27, 2012
I purchased a DieHard 71227 (80amp start, 30/12/2 amp charge) to charge a 6v deep cycle RV battery (186 amp hr). My intention was not to charge a dead battery, but to charge my > 50% charged RV batteries individually to equalize them. The battery had about 65% in it according to the charger. After a few hours the charger hit 77% and shut off and will not turn back on.

I returned the DieHard 71227 and purchased the Schumacher SC-10030A. It has slighly better specs 100amp start, 12<>30,2amp charge. I began by topping off the battery that the DieHard died on. I then let the charger cool down for 30 minutes (fan blowing on it). Then I began charging the 2nd RV battery. It started at 60% and ran until it hit 74% (a couple hours). Same thing happened... charger shut off... will not turn back on. I discovered that Schumacher built both of these chargers... they look VERY similiar inside.

What I cannot believe is that Schumacher is not putting a thermal switch in these chargers to prevent a melt down. Also makes me wonder if the Starter Mode on these chargers will cause the same melt down. Starter Mode says it runs for 5 seconds and then cools down for 180 seconds... obviously they are using a timer and not a thermal switch. So I imagine if you use the Starter Mode a couple times you will probably have the same melt down issue.

So I have gone thru 2 chargers in less than 6 hours of charging. I think the 'old' manual Schumacher chargers are ok, but the new microprocessor chargers appear to be junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Schumacher SC-10030A Safety Hazard - Caution, December 16, 2012
Schumacher SC-10030A Safety Hazard - Caution

This is suppose to be an automatic multi-stage battery charger.

When implemented correctly this is the best type of charger for your battery.

Unit I received would not charge a battery that read approximately 11.85 volts on a 500 CCA battery.
At 10amp I would need a 4.5 hour charge. 1-3 hours on this charger according to it's instructions.
(This is rough calculation, did not want to write all details here.)

First problem: Charger would charge battery for 10 mins.
(I know about surface charge and it is mentioned in the instruction manual, but this was not the problem.)

(Another automatic trickle charge that I own would charge this battery at 2 amps but this would have taken at least 10-12 hours to charge the battery.)
The "Battery-Minder" is more of a maintenance/desulphating charger. (Battery-Minder has made my batteries last years longer.)
I bought the SC-10030A to get the job done more quickly when needed.

I was't ready to send unit back as I still though I might have missed something.
So I though I would just use the charger in the 2 amp mode.

Second More serious problem.
I left the charge connected and set it up so that it would trickle charge the battery.
But when I came back in 15 minutes the SC-10030A was too hot to touch and smelled bad and it was continuing to get hotter.

Note: I am a retired electronics engineer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous overcharge not-so-smart charger, October 16, 2013
This charger behaves erratically and could damage batteries. I tested it on 2 brand new 12 V deep cycle AGM batteries on its AGM setting. The charging voltage would jump up to like 15.5V after 90% and just stayed there forever. I had to intervene and shut if off myself. For a proper charging sequence, when the battery is nearly full, a good charger should go to the float mode and drop the voltage accordingly to only 13.5V or so, not raise it up to above 15V! This over-voltage is especially detrimental to sealed batteries such as AGM. Even for flooded cells, it is not a good thing. By the way, I tested it on a brand new flooded cell on its standard setting and it was doing the same thing.

I also monitored the charging current with a clamp meter and saw that the charging current would suddenly jump up to 30A from times to times unnecessarily. When it was at 30A, the jumper cables got quite hot to the touch fast and felt like the plastic around the wire may melt. I get a sense that this charger is not capable of continuously varying charging current and the charging algorithm is poorly designed.

At several occasions, it would just be stuck at a particular charge percent and not move at all. When I disconnected it from the battery and reconnected it again, it would show a totally different percent charge reading.

One good thing is the fan does not come on all the time and is not very loud. I can't believe such a name brand company could sell such a dangerous and sub-par charger at such a high price. I bought this charger at Pep Boys and needless to say, returned it after a week of testing. I submitted this review to Pep Boy's website and got rejected. So, beware of the reviews at Pep Boys, folks.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, September 18, 2010
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
looked at several products and prices and this prouct gave me the most options that I neeed for the best price. Plus helps to protect my battery from being damaged because I forgot to turn the charger off when it was fully charged and begins to boil. Plus I still have some 6 volt battery systems around. This charger had the most options at the best price and a name you can depend on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charger review, January 16, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I recently tried to charge a battery I felt was good, but the older charger I had said the battery was no good. After trying several things on connections, maintenance, etc., that charger indicated bad. I ordered the Schumacher after reading reviews. I hooked it up to the battery in question, got a readout, charger went into desulfating mode, and the battery came up like new. Based on the old charger readout, I would have purchased a new battery. I have since gotten rid of the old chargers and used the Shumacher on a new battery I purchased for a 4-wheeler-that battery really was bad and had been for a long time - I was pretty sure it would not be revived regardless. The charger performed well, with percentage of charge battery accepted, rates were good, and I like checking it every so often to see progress, which is easily done with this charger. I like it so far and hope to get many years of service out this one. So far, so good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Results, March 4, 2011
K. Oberlander (Colorado Springs,CO) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I recently purchased the charger and have only used it once. I was trying to charge a dead battery on my Porche that I drive very infrequently during the summer months only. The battery is 4 years old. The Schumacher charger showed that it was charging the dead battery until the display showed an error message at approximately 80% charged. I tried to start the car anyway. It barely turned over and then went dead again. So I tried charging the battery again with the same results. I thought at that point that the battery was unchargable. So I went to exchange the battery at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. They said that they would need to try and charge it themselves before they can exchange for a newer battery. They put the battery on their charging unit and it did take the charge! So based on this one attempt to use it, I am slightly disappointed. I realize that the charging unit at O'Reilly's is much better than mine; but I still thought the Schumacher charger would still have done better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Who designed the faceplate? A Martian?, December 18, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
OK, so the color red is fine and all, especially on a fine lady or a hot Mustang, but on this charger's faceplate? and the lettering font size? A combination waiting for disaster. I read other reviews and thought OK, the unit itself is good but a lot of complaints about extreme difficulty in reading the faceplate. I ordered it anyway. Tried it. It works. But I can see how you can get in trouble incorrectly reading (or lack thereof) and setting the wrong setting for your battery. So I'm returning it JUST because the facepate labeling sucks. Who designed this? A Red Chinese?
UPDATE 12/23/13: CALL COMPANY FOR BETTER LABEL ... Decided to call the company to see if they were smart and created a new READABLE faceplate label for this charger. According to the guy I got on the phone they have! There's another model, the SC-8000A (which weirdly sells for 20+ bucks more), that is the same as this model SC-10030A except it has a lower START Amps (80 vrs 100) Face plate is the same, but label is in black, not red. So I'm waiting for the new label and will probably keep charger if it looks READABLE.
UPDATE 12/26/13: Merry Post Christmas! I do not like bullies so I say what the HOLIDAY actually is ... smile 8-) OK. Several reviewers have posted RE: "BAD" message on Charger.
Since I bought this charger in the past 3 weeks. charged 2 batteries; one 4 or 5 years old the other less than a year. Both batteries got the "bad" message after a couple of hours. Though both times I was able to start the two different cars.
I called their help center and got this answer: "When charger is not able to charge the battery fully, or to a certain percentage within aprox. 2 hours, it will stop charging and issue the "bad" message. Simply unplug the power cord and re-plug to continue charging." Hmmm ...
WEll it did what I needed it to to do: Start the cars. But I don't like that I have to do the unplug/plug routine. May return mine before the return date expires. But it seems all these "micro-porcessor' charges have their gremlins.
UPDATE 01/12/14: After searching out other chargers decided to pull the trigger and 1. return this charger (Did not receive "new face label" Called company again, and got dif person, who was unaware of any replacement face label) 2. Ordered the Schumacher SE-1275A 2/12/75 Amp Automatic Onboard Battery Charger via Amazon based on more consistent better reviews, and about 15 buckos cheaper . Yea it doesn't have the fancy digital readouts, just analog needle gauge. But hey! We're not talking strategic nuclear submarine command here ... just charge the battery and trickle when done ... with a 75amp start help function ... and 15 bucks saved gets a large cheese pizza pie ... 8-)

ARRAY(0x9d0f3474)