4.0 out of 5 stars SC-8000A
The meter accuracy on the SC-800A was within 0.05 volts, and the charging algorithms appear to work well, although they are not described in the instructions.

Published on April 6, 2009 by WDT3

2.0 out of 5 stars WILL NOT CHARGE A COMPLETELY DEAD BATTERY
Published on August 21, 2008 by Rex

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars SC-8000A, April 6, 2009
This review is from: Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer (Misc.)

I observed that the voltage was generally limited to 15.5 for regular, 16.0 for deep cycle, and 14.7 for AGM batteries. The 30 amp capability is in the form of a long timed pulse of about 2 minutes followed by 12 amps for a similar time period, then repeating until the voltage has risen enough that it isn't required. The amperage isn't constant, it tapers down to limit the voltage in typical CC/CV fashion, although the algorithm appears to actually be more complex. For instance, on a particular AGM battery it went to 15.5 volts near the end of the charge (95%) with current at about 1.5 amps for about 30 minutes and then stopped (completed). I suspect that this was an automatic attempt to condition the battery. A DieHard 71227 charger (Schumacher makes the DieHard 71227 charger) did the same thing. After three discharge cycles, it stoped doing the "high-voltage treatment". Also, in AGM mode it went to 15.5 volts briefly during one of the 40 amp cycles. Although the instructions for DieHard Platinum and Odyssey batteries say to choose a charger with <14.8 volts, this charger was obviously designed with these batteries in mind.

Two small negative notes. If a battery has voltage close to zero, the safety features won't let it operate. Also, if the AC power cycles, it will come back on as a charger set for 2 amps in regular battery mode after 15 minutes. I wouldn't recommend leaving an AGM battery connected in maintenance mode. It's odd that the charger doesn't store the last used settings in the microprocessor's eeprom, or just use battery power to keep the processor running.

Overall, it's a nice charger. I hope some of the tech info above helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice charger, July 21, 2008
Pascoes (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer (Misc.)
Good charger. Well built except for the two flimsy plastic cable retaining posts on the back. I will probably make some modifications after the warranty is over. I've been wrapping the power cord on the rear posts & wrapping the hook-up cables around the top handle (the instructions don't mention that option). The charge percentage reading is very helpful but not always accurate (can be fixed by unplugging & starting charge process over if you are not sure the reading is correct). I haven't used the alternator check yet. I found the start feature to have too short of duration... just a few seconds then the charger has to cool down for several minutes before you can use the start feature again. Overall I am please with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars fast or slow charge with jump start, June 16, 2009
Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer
I have had various 12v battery chargers. The ones that I have usually bought were trickle charge types. My first one did not have a sensor and I blame that for killing a 1 year old garden tractor battery. My second unit that I bought for $30 or so had a sensor to avoid overcharging. It lasted 10-15 years but it started to have problems. It just seems to stopped charging altogether when its 'trouble' light came on. It started becoming frustrating when all my automotive batteries started to die about the same time and the charge just did not work. Thank the lord that I now have what appears to be a really good unit.

So far I have successfully used the Schumacher SC-8000A to trickle charge my garden tractor battery, jump start my car, rapid charge my diesel truck (which as diesel owners know, has two batteries), and rapid charge an auxiliary battery (an Optima YellowTop). I did try to jump start my diesel truck and it did not work. I only tried to crank it once and I wasn't sure that it would work. Once you crank it, the unit prevents you from trying again for several minutes. I was not in a hurry so I rapid charged it myself. So far I am satisfied. I am hoping that it continues to work well and lasts a long time. Time will only tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Battery Charger, February 8, 2009
This review is from: Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer (Misc.)
So far so good.....I have only had this charger a couple of weeks. My only use so far was to charge and check several batteries I keep in my barn for the winter. So far I am very pleased with its performance. It seem to work just like the instructions indicate. I have used it on two small quad runner batteries, two spare car batteries, and 2 deep cycle trolling motor batteries. They all went through the initial diagnostic check, and then when I switched it they went into the charge mode. One of the small batteries went into the desulfating mode, then the charge mode and now seems to working better. Charger seems to built very well, and came vey well packaged for shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, January 19, 2009
This review is from: Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer (Misc.)
This is the 4th or 5th battery charger I've owned over the years. I remember the ones that used to "cook" your battery. This one is amazing, and so simple to use. You hook it up, input the battery type and size, and let it go! The digital read out lets you know what it's doing and will actually go up to 16 v or so to try to desulfonate the battery. The little cooling fan kicks in (internal) as the electronics do their analyzing. It will maintain a charge -- no cooking any more. Well made, works well, I'm glad I purchased it. Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer

2.0 out of 5 stars WILL NOT CHARGE A COMPLETELY DEAD BATTERY, August 21, 2008
Rex (Los Angeles, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer (Misc.)
I bought one of these to charge the batteries of 2 vehicles that had been sitting for 7 months while I was away. I figured that with the ability to crank an engine for 5 seconds, I could probably get a vehicle started or at least charge the battery. The first attempt was on my car with a completely dead battery--no voltage at all. The charger wouldn't even recognize that it was connected to the battery--probably a result of a safety "feature" which may need to sense voltage to know it is connected to a battery. Since it didn't sense it was connected to a battery, it would not apply a charge or provide any cranking power.

Next I tried it on the battery of my truck which had a little voltage left, but not enough to start the engine. The 5 second starting power of the charger would not turn the engine over. It did, however, charge the battery overnight and the truck started right up the next morning. I then used the truck to jumpstart the car with the completely dead battery and allowed the car to run for about a half hour. This gave the battery enough voltage so that the charger could then recognize it was connected and supply a charge to the battery. After about 6 hours, the car battery was fully charged and a test indicated that the battery was not faulty.

After all this, I returned the charger to Amazon and bought a Sears premium one that had better specs for about the same price and was told it WOULD start a completely dead battery. Had some similiar looking control panel items to the Schumacher charger so may be same manufacturer. Haven't had a chance to try on completely dead battery.

If you buy the Schumacher SC-8000A, don't expect to charge a completely dead battery or crank anything other than a very small engine.

Shipment packing from Amazon was poor--it allowed the heavy charger to bang around in the box. When I turned the charger upside down, parts inside moved around--not a good sign.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one I've had, September 25, 2010
This review is from: Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer (Misc.)
This is the best charger I have owned. I have had a few of the smaller century, schumacher, and other brands, but this one is nice. It shows the % of battery charge left and the battery voltage. It senses the battery and delivers the amperage that the battery can handle, not too much to harm the battery. This is faster than the others and if left on, it goes into maintain mode to keep battery topped off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Schumacher SC-8000A charger, July 22, 2010
This review is from: Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer (Misc.)
A very good product. I am very well pleased with this charger. I have used it many times and it has always performed great. Very well satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars SC-8000A, June 2, 2010
This review is from: Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer (Misc.)
Have used this charger several times to recharge Marine battery. Works great. The cable holder could have been designed better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for Deep Cycle batteries, December 19, 2009
Caveat (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schumacher SC-8000A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer (Misc.)
Bought this to maintain Deep Cycle batteries for my RV and Electric trolling motor
I like the 3 stage charging and seems to charge twice as fast as my old charger
The float/maintenance mode also works like a battery tender
Overall a good value