I bought two of these off of Ebay.

They seem to work great, but an external volt meter showed 16.1 volts, and the charge percentage was at 100%. I'm not sure why this was, but I was using an amateur radio (Motorola Spectra - 45 watt VHF) at the same time. That could have easily thrown off the charger. It does say in the manual not to do that, lol...
Published 23 months ago by Greg

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but it is very very loud!!
Published on December 22, 2011 by John A. Justin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but it is very very loud!!, December 22, 2011
This review is from: Schumacher XCS15 SpeedCharge 15 Amp Ship 'n Shore Battery Charger (Automotive)
I purchased this unit at a large chain department store nearby - not through Amazon because I needed it immediately to charge my dead car battery. The unit is easy to use - but, you should read the instructions first otherwise you could damage your battery if it's not set up properly. The buttons on the unit have icons that indicate fast, slow, and maintenance charging modes. You should know under what circumstances to use those modes. There are also buttons for battery type selection that are important as well.

Note that the unit is actually rated at 15amp not 10amp as indicated in the Amazon description at this writing - which is a good thing.

The only issue that I have with the unit is that there is a cooling fan that is very loud. I can understand the necessity to cool the charger's components when charging a battery at high currents. The problem is that the fan is always on even when the battery becomes fully charged and is being trickle charged at low current levels when entering maintenance mode. I would have preferred that the fan be thermostatically controlled so that the fan comes on only when the charger's components heat up during fast charging. The fan should shut off during maintenance mode. Since the unit is microprocessor controlled, it would be a very simple matter to control the fan thermostatically for the price of a thermistor - about a 50 cents in cost. As an electrical engineer and professional software developer, I can attest that the additional software development time to implement such a feature would be about 15 minutes.

Of course, if the manufacturer designed the unit with inadequate heat sinking on the critical electronic components to save costs, then the fan could be a requirement even at trickle charging rates. But, that would be a design flaw that would manifest itself in early life failure of the electronic components - which would be even more problematic.

So, if you are looking for a charger to maintain a battery in full charge condition using a trickle charge mode (sans fan cacophony), then you may want to pass this one by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems To Be Good - Still Doing Some Testing - Testing & Research Done!!, February 28, 2013
I bought two of these off of Ebay.

Initially (they showed up in the mail tonight) I like them. It's easy to use and simple to operate. Plug it in, select the charging current (2, 10 or 15 amps), battery type if you know it and off it goes. Even if you don't know the battery type, just put it on standard and your all set.

It does give a battery charge percentage while it's charging - kinda cool...but it does not show the amperes going into the battery. Even if you select the 15 amp charge rate, once the battery is close to being fully charged, the current (or amperes / amperage) will lower.

There are two lines about the desulfator in the manual - I posted a picture of it for you to read. I Googled if there is a way to make the charger manually go into desulfation mode, but I didn't see anything.

On[...] (Schumacher's website) there is a link on this chargers for two manuals. The second manual listed says this:

Desulfation Mode
If the battery is left discharged for an extended period of time, it could become sulfated and not accept a normal charge. If the charger detects a sulfated battery, the charger will switch to a special mode of operation designed for such batteries. The display will start counting up from 1, increasing every hour. If successful, normal charging will resume after the battery is desulfated. Desulfation could take up to 8 hours. If desulfation fails, charging will abort. See Aborted Charge section.

Here is the link for that manual:[...] It's on page 8. The above is a direct cut & paste.

All in all it seem to be great and I'll finish my review hopefully tonight or tomorrow about the 16.1 battery voltage.

**Update**

This is from[...] This is from their page and all the credit goes to them.

"Equalization

Equalization is essentially a controlled over charge. Some charger manufacturers call the peak voltage the charger attains at the end of the BULK mode (absorption voltage) an equalization voltage, but technically it's not. Higher capacity wet (flooded) batteries sometimes benefit from this procedure, particularly the physically tall batteries. The electrolyte in a wet battery can stratify over time, if not cycled occasionally. In equalization, the voltage is brought up above typical peak charging voltage (to 15 to 16 volts in a 12 volt system) well into the gassing stage, and held for a fixed (but limited) period. This stirs up the chemistry in the entire battery, "equalizing" the strength of the electrolyte, and knocking off any loose sulphation that may be on the battery plates.

The construction of AGM and Gel batteries all but eliminates any stratification, and most all manufacturers of this type do not recommend it (advising against it). Some manufacturers (notably Concorde) list a procedure, but voltage and time are critical to avoid battery damage."

This explains the 16-16.1 volts and why it's necessary. With an amp meter, the current output is ~2.2A, at 16 volts. The percentage display showed the battery at 97-98%. So it would not be sitting at 16v for long.

Just make sure that if you do charge a marine, deep cycle battery, change the battery type.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, April 16, 2013
I've used this unit several times and it has worked very well. Based on a few earlier reviews I was hesitant to purchase., however I had the opportunity to use my neighbors unit so I was already familiar. From the very first time, it lived up to my expectations. I usually give both of my vehicles a "tuneup" bi-weekly as I drive less than a mile most days. It does goes easily into the "maintaining" mode, as it automatically shuts the full charge off and enters into the maintenance mode in case I forget to check. Has exceeded my expectations anti would heartily recommend this unit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep a eye on it, August 26, 2013
I bought this as it seemed to be a 3 stage charger, or at least would float the battery when done. I am using this to charge a group 27 battery. Twice I have left it run over night and in the morning it shows that it is at 100% and it "should" back off to a float status of charging...... NOPE! It holds the voltage between 16.5-17.1. Way too high. This is on the 'fast' charging rate. If you choose the middle charging rate, I checked the voltage after letting it go all night and it was being held at 100% and 13.4V. On the fast charging rate once it gets up to the high 90% of charge range that's when it spikes the voltage, which would be fine once in a while to a equalization charge. I haven't watched the voltage on the middle charging rate to see if it still spikes the voltage when it is in the high 90% range of charge.

1.0 out of 5 stars My Schumacher XCS15 charger lasted a year and a day to date, August 23, 2012
My Schumacher XCS15 charger lasted a year and a day .
Unit saw very little use in a years time . Tried to use it to charge a deeply discharged Optima Blue top Marine battery . Within a hours time the charge
stopped working . Took the unit apart some of the circuitry appeared burned up .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool!, December 30, 2013
I have 3 of these chargers! They have worked very well. They all 3 arrived in good condition. I opened them up and, after reading the instructions, hooked them up! One was connected to our convertible, to keep the battery charged during the winter. The other 2 are used to keep the 24 volt system fully charged on our diesel generator. they have been in service for over a year now and all have been doing their job! I am very pleased with the purchase and would it again without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT - EASY!, June 26, 2013
Needed to replace a very old 2amp Schumacher unit. Have deep cycle for boat and starting batteries. After a few weeks of use now I can say with absolute certainty that this charger more than meets the need. Simple, easy to start using and always has me ready in just a few hours/by morning.
* * * * * 5 stars!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected from Schumacher, March 18, 2012
I purchased this unit to charge and/or maintain several different types of batteries including a bank of large 125 AH deep cycle batteries. Everything worked fine but the information during charging is not totally useful. In the charging mode, the new feature of automatically switching between % charge and voltage every 15 seconds was a good idea. However, it is only half a good idea. The voltage displayed is not the actual charging voltage at the battery. It is the mode voltage (6V or 12V) which is useless information that does not need to be repeated every 15 seconds. I returned this charger in hopes of finding a better unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars This unit will not "maintain" a battery, July 10, 2014
i purchased this unit to maintain a battery on my large sailboat. when the battery gets charged, the unit shuts off. the battery dies and my boat fills with water. here is the real kicker...according to the rep that i called...it is supposed to shut off and i have to press a button to "wake it up". the unit does not do any monitoring, though they say that it will start up and maintain a battery.
Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Charge, April 1, 2014
Great maintenance charger. I Use it for my personal Car/ Generator batteries. & Occasionally have lent it to my neighbors. They liked it & had me get them ones too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›