Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
Style Name: BikeChange
Price:$457.55 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 15, 2013
Took my husband and I little over one hour to assemble. Excellent directions for each step, with things that could be put in place at the factory already done for us. No missing or faulty parts, well packed. Once the front and rear legs with two screws each are in place to make it stand on it's own you can add seat, handlebars, pedals and cowling. Electronics run through the uprights and go together with press fit connectors. In use, all electronics came alive once the supplied power supply was plugged in. Turns itself off after use. You can set up to 4 users by name, and track/record everything needed. Resistance adjustments require only a push of the up or down buttons. Very quite in operation with a comfortable seat that is easily adjusted with a single adjustment lever, so the seat can slide up/down it's track. Plug in to add your music player to feed the speakers. A quite fan that is a gentle breeze and not much more even on high.

Update, this bike has been excellent in everyday use going on two months. The 25 one touch resistance levels are getting use as we are able to increase them as we progress. We also ordered the POLAR chest strap (get the uncoded one)and it links up to the telemetric enabled heart rate monitor with no drama. Regards

I thought that an update after six months of use would be helpful to some. This bike is still a joy! Easy to adjust with just the single lever between users. We have added some strips of tape on the rail so that different user position lock downs are quick and consistent. We also like that selecting users by name is quickly done, and your program starts automatically as soon as you begin to pedal. When your ride is over you push stop, and a cool down period begins that is optional. You can just walk away and it will turn itself off. My Kindle fits the book shelf and is steady for a good read that allows exercise time to pass before I know it which is a good thing. Regards
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
The manufacturer commented on the review below
VINE VOICEon November 20, 2013
Style Name: BikeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
**** UPDATE 12/4/2013 ****
Schwinn customer service was top notch. After seeing my review they put a fairly generic response to call support (see below). Skeptical that phone support could/would fix the website, I called anyways, just after they closed. The next day however, a real person answered right away and put me in contact with the development team, who was able to recreate the problem (which was a rare a tricky bug that only happened if your longest workout was exactly at an hour mark, if my longest ride was 61 minutes then the problem wouldn't have been noticed). The support staff kept me in the loop the whole time including over the weekends. They also fixed all of the other errors that I had noticed. So while I'm going to keep my rating at 4 stars (I still wish the buttons were utilized better and the screen was dim-able... I would up it to 4.5 if I could), the customer support earns a solid 5 stars and will influence my future exercise purchases.

As for the companion website itself... It's a visual view of your past workouts and achievements. I'd love to see it get expanded with more export options (LoseIt,FitBit,Etc.) and possibly a coaching module. Overall it's a simple but very nice dashboard and a lot easier to navigate than the LCD display.
**** END UPDATE ****

This is an attractive well built bike with some great features and just a few small problems. It took me a little over an 90 minutes to assemble it myself, if I had to build another and had a second set of hands I imagine it could be done in 30 minutes. Once it was built setting up the very bright control panel and first user was easy enough to do without instructions, but not exactly intuitive. If you're using it in a window lit room then it's not that bright, but at night I wish I could dim it a bit. Riding it is super comfortable and quite other than a status beep every 2 minutes, it's not too bad but it would be nice if it could be disabled. The amount of feedback is great including heart rate, speed, resistance, intensity, RPM, and more. Most of all, I liked that I got specific calorie data for my settings and not a generic average.

The actual workout was really good. I normally run 10Ks and use biking to round out my training. I found level 1 was the only resistance level that felt even a little bit sloppy because it was so easy, but the maximum level 25 took a lot of strength while still delivering a smooth ride. What I couldn't understand was why so many buttons were dedicated to resistance and so few to the rest of the interface. Resistance can be increased by one of two + buttons, decreased by one of two - buttons, of jumped to directly by set to by numbers that line each side... The direct levels are 1,3,5,7,9,12,15,18,21,25... Seriously a confusing waste of 14 buttons. If they just gave us an up/down and a number pad that serve every level, plus it could be used everywhere else (instead of having to use up and down arrows to set things like your age/weight/time & distance goals) and it would still need 2 less buttons.

When it comes to external technology however, it's really love/hate. Being able to watch a video on a tablet with some powered speakers is a huge win, especially since it will keep your device charged if you need it to. It has the option to save your workouts to a USB drive, which can be uploaded to their site and then to MyFitnessPal. Your workouts are save to a .DAT file which is in JSON format (this probably means nothing to you, but if you're a nerd like me then it means it's easy to use this data for other purposes). However when I registered and uploaded the file to SchwinnConnect, nothing appeared or worked. I tried other browsers, computers, even from the phone and the site simply does not work with plenty of JavaScript and 404 errors. I understand this may be a new service for a new bike model, but they really should just have a sign up to be notified page in the interim. I also hope they plan to integrate with other services than MyFitnessPal (even though it's great), since my fitness app of choice is Lose It!

So overall, I'm very happy with the build and quality of the bike. I recommend this bike, however the few quirks to get used to and an unfinished companion site that I'm still waiting for bring my overall review down to 4 stars.

The Great:
+ 25 levels of resistance... Level 1 is pretty much too easy and Level 25 is insane, plenty of room for growth here.
+ The seat is so easy to adjust, great for multi-user households (the computer supports 4 users)
+ Super quite ride at any level of resistance
+ Calories burned based on personal settings
+ Charges a phone/tablet/mp3 player and plays it through built-in speakers.
+ Decent 3 level fan
+ It congratulates you on new records for distance, time and calories.

The Quirky:
> The bright screen takes a little getting used to in the dark
> The stand for the mp3 player blocks the screen with the main screen (although most of this is replicated in the lower screen)
> It doesn't take long to get used to the interface, but it could have been so much better with a number pad and better prompts.
> The 2 minute and congratulatory beeps, while subtle, could be annoying if you need absolute silence (and the machine itself is).
> It requires a power plug. Understandable since it powers a bright back light and other devices, but other some bikes do not require the tether.

The Bad:
- The companion website Schwinn Connect just simply does not work as of this time. They really should have a coming soon page if it's not ready.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Thank you for your feedback. We regret any inconvenience and assure you that Nautilus works hard to make sure these issues do not occur. We'd like to help. Please contact Nautilus Customer Care at 1-800- 605-3369. For the best possible service, please reference Amazon Customer number 1290667 when you call.
on October 19, 2013
I encountered the same delivery problem as 2 other reviewers. When it arrived, the box was slightly damaged. While I did not notice until I finished the assembling the bike, there were cosmetic damage (2 end caps on the seat rail) on it. The reason I did not take any star off is because of the great customer service. After I call, the representative instructed me that the parts would be replaced. Although I have not received the parts yet, I feel the company would back its product.

Pros:
Easy to assemble (about 2 hours with one person)
Great features including anything you are interested about your workout
Very quiet - I can watch TV in normal volume
Comfortable seat
Easy seat adjustment for many body size
Speakers are decent
Adjustment on the base for uneven flooring
Attractive design
Love the ability to mount an ipad or kindle fire without additional accessory
Love the dual display because I can watch movie on my kindle fire and still keep track of progress
Auto shut off after you stop exercising
Reasonable price base on features

Cons (maybe more personal preference)
LCD display is a little bright especially in a darker room; wish I can adjust brightness
Slight side to side shake on the seat when pedaling hard
Fan is too weak even at maximal strength
USB charging slow (for my 8.9 kindle fire HD).
Wish the water bottle holder in the front, but the holder is larger enough to put your phone and other items

Other thought:
I hope this will stand the test of time. I intend to keep it as long as possible. I will update if there is any durability problem.
on October 17, 2013
Ordered this bike twice on Amazon and it was damaged both times in transit. Finally just picked it up ourselves at Sears with a borrowed pickup truck, and even then the box was falling apart before we even left the store. These issues alone were almost enough to send us in another direction, but I'm happy we persisted.

Pros:

-good value for money
-seems like a huge step up, at least aesthetically, from the previous model
-lots of program variety and resistance options
-sturdy pedals and straps
-long set-up time but not too complicated
-relatively comfortable seat (though definitely not professional gym quality; I really start to "feel it" at the half-hour mark)
-like most recumbent stationary bikes, it provides a good workout for people of all fitness levels

Cons:

-poorly packaged; be prepared to order replacement parts or return for a exchange or refund
-shakes side to side when pedalling, which results in an irritating noise to anyone nearby and a vague feeling of instability
-display panel is VERY bright and not adjustable; I'd read this note from previous reviewers and didn't think it would be something that would bother me until I used the machine in a dimly lit room (not uncommon for someone who works out at home in the evenings)
-I consistently feel like I'm sliding forward and down off the seat, which is resulting in some lower back pain (there is no seat adjustment mechanism that I can see aside from the distance between it and the pedals)
-fan blows a plasticky smell right in your face that I hope will eventually go away
on November 30, 2013
This is a great cardio exercise bike. I am a 74 year-old man. Five months ago I underwent a heart catheterization. I had a 85% blockage of my main LDA artery. I am so lucky to be alive thanks to a very astute ER doc, Dr. Diana Kane. Now in recovery I needed a exercise machine just like this one. First I went to the local Cardio Rehab facility where they had this exact machine. But I was only going three days a week. With my own machine I can exercise every day and I try to work out two times a day. I also have the Schwinn rowing machine which gives me upper arm exercise. I feel great.
Some have complained of the non-functioning heart rate monitor on this machine. I had the problem and found it was the connector that is threaded through the goose neck frame leading to the console. The 3mm stereo connector plug pulls out easily.
I repaired the problem with a piece of electrical tape holding the two connectors together. Now everything works fine on my exercise bike.
I even bought one of these bikes for my son who was recovering from a motorcycle accident. (may he never get on a motorcycle again). He is lucky to keep his leg. His leg bone was shattered in the accident. It is six months after the accident and he still cannot put his full weight on his leg. But with this bike he can rebuild the leg muscle without straining the bone.
Well worth the money. You will feel so much better after starting a regular exercise routine with this Schwinn Bike.

Get it while they still have some.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 1, 2014
Let me start by saying I am a big fan of Schwinn bikes. However, this bike is NOT the Schwinn quality that I've become used to. The company looks like its been sold to Nautilus/Bowflex a couple years ago and quality, in my opinion from using this bike, isn't the same.
I've had the Schwinn 222 for about 10 years or so. It needed repaired, so I decided to invest in another recumbent bike while I was waiting on the part. There are 5 people in my home and a recumbent bike is a great way to get paperwork/schoolwork done while getting a workout in at the same time. My old Schwinn has been used almost daily for 30-90 minutes at a time. It's a champion, unlike this bike.
It seems like the new design of removing the bar that connects the seat to the front part of the bike seems flawed. Although it may look more modern this way, it doesn't really give good support and I notice my body moves a bit with each pedal-especially if the resistance is high.
This bike's flywheel weight is only a little over 17lbs. My other Schwinn has a flywheel weight of a little over 19 lbs. This is important for an authentic bike ride feel and good resistance. It's hard to go down in flywheel weight when you're used to a bigger one. We initially bought the Schwinn 225 and returned it for this very reason.
I decided to call Schwinn (Nautilus/Bowflex) to get the flywheel weight on all the models, since they don't list it for many of their bikes. After 4 phone calls, I finally talked to an engineer who explained that this model-the Schwinn 270 and the Schwinn 230 have the same flywheel weight. The only difference is more bells and whistles on this model. The Schwinn 240 and 250 models have 20 lb flywheel weight but not sure about quality, etc.
Bottom line: If you're NOT used to a heavier flywheel weight, want a good workout and don't live with people or animals that make it their life goal to break your stuff-this might be a good choice for you.
If you're someone who is used to a more solid bike without all the extra glam-this bike is not for you. Remember, after the warranty is up, all those extra gadgets could require more maintenance. I can't say for sure because I have no experience with Nautlus/Bowflex equiptment. One thing IS for sure, the quality of this Schwinn 270 and my 1st Schwinn 222 recumbent is like NIGHT AND DAY. I need equiptment that can hold up and last with heavy use. In my opinion, this isn't it.
on November 14, 2013
After reading all the negative comments about the packaging of this product, I almost did not buy it....but I had to try it for myself and I must say that it arrived on time, no damage to the box, and all the parts were in perfect condition. Took me 64 minutes to unpack and put the entire bike together. Basically it could not have been a better experience. Once I put the bike together I spent an hour on the bike at level 12 and it did not wobble at all (have it on a tile floor)...Bottom line if you want a mid level quality Recumbent Bike the 270 is a great deal.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2013
I have been using this for aid in exercising my total knee replacement. It is helping keep my knee flexible and helping me to bend it without pain. I am very pleased with the smoothness with which it works. I would recommend this to any one going through
this surgery.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 3, 2014
I have invested a great deal of time assembling the bike which seems to be complete. However, although the displays lights up when I start to pedal the resistance levels seem to be too low and the heart rates sensors and pulse reading are just wrong.The bike seems to be well designed and comfortable but if I can,t get accurate readings on my workout , calories and heart rate the experience is useless. Disappointed
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
on May 30, 2014
This review is subject to change as I have not yet had any resolution, good or bad, with Amazon. I received this bike today and eagerly went about assembling it. Not a very difficult procedure really; if you are good at following graphic directions as opposed to written, it's really fairly simple. The tools and parts are letter-coded and it's easy to keep things straight. So I began assembling the bike and after about 45 minutes I got to step # 9 (out of only 11) which is to 'Attach pedals to frame assembly'. They clearly point out that the left pedal is reverse-threaded. So I took note of that, and easily installed the left pedal in the reverse thread manner. Now, on to the right pedal. Well, there was no way to get this pedal to thread on the right side assembly. Once it started to strip I stopped before I ruined it completely. I also noticed that the left pedal says 'L' on the bottom, and on both sides. But the right pedal says 'R' on the bottom, the outside, but says 'L' on the threading! Now I have a recumbent bike which I paid several hundred dollars for, and is 95% assembled... and completely useless. (Can't use it with only one pedal!) My concern is, if they agree to send me a new right pedal, will the threadings on the bike itself be too stripped to work with it? There is no way I can take this bike apart, put it back in that huge box and ship it back to Amazon, and I sure as heck ain't paying to do so. I feel a nightmare coming on... stay tuned!

**Update** After writing this review yesterday, I called the Nautilus/Schwinn customer service number this morning. Of the 2 zillion menu options you have to select from, NONE were in any way related to Schwinn products. They only mention Nautilus products. So, I selected the closest thing and was immediately put on hold (shocking!). After being on hold for 54 MINUTES without anybody answering, I hung up. So, virtually no customer support to speak of. I am stuck with a $500 boat anchor. I have been able to determine that the right (R) pedal that came with the bike is in fact reverse threaded, but where it attaches to the frame is of course not. So, it simply cannot be attached to the bike. So, the pedal is useless, therefore the bike is useless. And since they do not answer their phone at customer support, I am hung out to dry to the tune of $500. I'm sure Amazon would accept a return, but as I said before, it is not feasible to disassemble, repackage and return-ship a 100+ pound bike! All I need is the correct dang pedal! Shouldn't be that hard but it would seem I am not going to accomplish this. By far the most disappointing transaction I have ever had with Amazon. I will try calling Schwinn (Nautilus) again on Monday, (which also means I'm dead in the water for the entire weekend), but it seems obvious that customer support is not a priority for them. Who leaves a customer on hold for an hour??

**Update**

After being so thoroughly frustrated with this bike and the complete lack of customer support, I FINALLY got it assembled after spending more money I shouldn't have had to spend. Well folks, this piece of junk STILL will not operate!! What complete garbage. I have now spent over $600 and 2 months trying to make this thing functional, and it just isn't going to happen. Whenever I get on the bike and start a program or quick start, I can pedal for a maximum of 15 seconds. Then, the pedals come to a grinding halt (it sounds like metal on concrete!!) It is then virtually impossible to pedal, as the bike is locked up. Nice 15 second workout, huh!? The bike has to be re-started and then the same thing happens again - 10, maybe 15 seconds and the pedals grind to a halt. This thing is pure JUNK. I have wasted $600 and since they have no customer service to speak of, looks like I am just scr@wed. I can't box it up and return it to Amazon... I am simply taken for 600 dollars in this transaction. DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE!!!!!