5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't expect more from at-home exercise equipment
So far so good. A great bike for the price. Well made. I'm comparing it to what you might find at your local gym and I'd say for the money, it's definitely comparable. A bit more plastic than I'd like to see on the body (the kind that might crack if stepped on incorrectly), but just don't step on the body of the bike.

Programs offer a variety of workouts...
Published on February 13, 2006 by Ellie K

3.0 out of 5 stars you get what you pay for
While I agree that this bike has many desirable features for the money, I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.

On the positive side, the bike is built of solid components. It is almost silent when in use. The electronic readout is well laid out, and the program features are plentiful for the pricepoint.

On the downside, the quality of...
Published on April 5, 2006 by eb2

3.0 out of 5 stars you get what you pay for, April 5, 2006
eb2 (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn 113 Upright Exercise Bike [Discontinued] (Sports)

On the downside, the quality of construction is lacking. The main problem I had right out of the box was with the RPM/speed sensor. When I tried the bike out, the RPM readings would frequently peg at 199 RPM or drop to zero. This throws off the distance calculation too. Obviously this would be unacceptable for anyone on a training regimen.

A couple calls to the knowledgeable and helpful Nautilus/Schwinn customer support line sorted this problem out. Apparently this was not an uncommon problem. Turns out that the flywheel revolution sensor, underneath the plastic base cover, was installed in the wrong place. The sensor is attached to the frame by a couple machine screws. I was informed there was a bad batch of 113 and 213's that had the screw holes mis-drilled. (If this happens to your bike, move the black plastic sensor so that it lines up directly with the magnet on the flywheel, and is 1/8th an inch away from the magnet. By the way, it will take some doing to remove the plastic cover, and access is tight unless you remove the pedals - this is not a 10 minute fix.) This bike had not been QA tested, otherwise the problem with the sensor would have been discovered. Seems like Schwinn should have recalled these bikes rather than letting the consumer "find" them.

On a lesser note, the welds are a bit sloppy, and the paint job is smudged in several places. The electrical connectors look pretty cheap. What is ironic is that the bike has a "Schwinn Quality" badge on the front. The price is low becuase of low cost manufacturing overseas.

Overall, it's a good bike and I'll keep using it. It still seems like a good deal relative to a StarTrac or Life Fitness bike that is at least double the cost, but you get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't expect more from at-home exercise equipment, February 13, 2006
Ellie K (Portland, ME) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn 113 Upright Exercise Bike [Discontinued] (Sports)

Programs offer a variety of workouts and resistance. Easy to assemble. Able to adjust to accomodate a variety of riders heights/leg lengths.

Also rated by Consumer Reports as a "CR Best Buy".

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, September 17, 2006
This review is from: Schwinn 113 Upright Exercise Bike [Discontinued] (Sports)
At a price of $400 (with free shipping), this is a great value. I used to have a Schwinn XR7 which was a great product when I bought it in 1982. By 2005, it was obsolete and parts were hard to find. The 113 is not as well made as the old XR7 but the quality is enough. More importantly, it is a modern exercise bike with easy to use computer controls and silent electromagnetic resistance. The components (made in China) were easy to assemble. The whole process took a little over one hour. I needed to make one 800 call (about attaching the foot straps to the pedals) and the call center person (in the US) was very helpful and gave me the info I needed. Read the Consumer Reports review in their February 06 issue. It's right on target.

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't be happier!, August 25, 2006
This review is from: Schwinn 113 Upright Exercise Bike [Discontinued] (Sports)
This bike is everything I expected it to be. The only negatives: directions for assembly required more thought than I'd planned and the fan is useless. Otherwise, it is an excellent bike. Absolutely silent when riding and great options for programs. Very easy to use - a great value!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great exercise bike!, March 30, 2006
This review is from: Schwinn 113 Upright Exercise Bike [Discontinued] (Sports)
I recommened this bike to everyone who needs exercise in the convinence of a home. The bike is well built and offers a variety of good programs. I especialy like that it is very quiet so you will not disturb anyone during your early morning or late night workouts.

Two notes: buy it at a store as packaging is not as sturdy and may get damaged during shipping. My box got mangled during shipping, but only the bottle holder broke, the rest made it intact. As many other reviewers I experienced clicking noise in the left pedal, but it was quickly fixed by tightening the left pedal with the included tool.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead bike, November 11, 2006
This review is from: Schwinn 113 Upright Exercise Bike [Discontinued] (Sports)
I bought this bike for my wife back in July, 2006 and this morning the console is dead with error E-2 and nothing we have tried so far has gotten the bike to work. I'll update this comment later if I can figure out why it isn't working.

Update: I found some more comments on epinions that the schwinn E-2 error message is a common problem. Even though I bought this based on consumer reports best buy recommendation I am very disappointed. Customer Service will not be open until Monday 6a so I'll update again once I hear from them.

Update #2: I finally had time to get in touch with Schwinn/Nautilus. They told me that I have to disassemble the bike and disconnect and reconnect each and every wire connection and then reassemble the bike. That is going to be fun... um, NOT! Once I've done that and if the bike still gets the E-2 error then they will send me a whole new set of wires. This sounds like it is downhill for this bike. I bought my wife another bike as I have more important things to do than mess with this one. Maybe if I have time someday (when I retire?) ...

Update #3 I was going through my old reviews and realized I never updated this one. So after I finally found time to try what customer support said to do it did not fix the problem. They said if that did not fix the problem I would have to put in new wiring harness. Needless to say it shortly thereafter went into the trash. Meanwhile the EDGE 482u we bought as a replacement has worked for 2 years without issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars Schwinn 113 / 112 / 122 / 123, April 13, 2006
This review is from: Schwinn 113 Upright Exercise Bike [Discontinued] (Sports)
This review is for a Schwinn 112, but the four Schwinn exercise bikes in the title are identical except for "trim level". The main structure, drive mechanism, seats, and handlebars are the same. Differences between them include a backlit LCD on the computer, number of exercise programs in the computer, regular or wide pedals and seat, and a small fan at the top of the display.

I purchased it on-line from Dick's Sporting Goods web site for $299. However, eight different on-line retailers of this unit were all quoting the same price and shipping costs. Upon further examination (looking at the page source in the browser), I discovered that all eight web sites were delivering the same web content from the same server. In other words, you may think that they are separate on-line stores, but they are actually eight store _brands_ putting their face on only one on-line source carrying this unit.

Pros:

The bike is comfortable, quiet and well-designed.

Handlebars are adjustable about 2 inches horizontally and 90 or so degress in tilt.

Seat is well padded and has a small depression down the middle to help prevent loss of blood flow to reproductive organs. Seat is adjustable about a foot in height, 3 inches horizontally, and a useful amount in tilt.

Pedals have adjustable straps to hold feet in or to allow upward pulling while pedaling.

I don't use the exercise programs in the computer, so I can't review that, but to start up only requires pressing the quick start button and however many presses you wish on the plus sign to increase resistance. Heart rate minitoring takes a little too long (about 30 seconds) to settle on a consistent reading.

Cons:

Just as at least three other reviewers have noted, my bike was delivered with a flaw. Every time the pedals moved, the bike screamed like a banshee. Examining inside the plastic cover of the drive mechanism, I found a spring in constant contact with the flywheel; every time the flywheel moved, the spring sang. Schwinn Fitness support (M-F, 8-5 PST/PDT) said the flywheel may have shifted during shipment.

They did not agree to let me take it to an authorized Schwinn service center, but rather mailed me the tool for me to pull the cranks off and fix it myself. They also took eight days longer than necessary to mail it to me.

It turns out that the placement of the flywheel and spring is likely to cause others to experience this problem. The flywheel mount seems to be randomly positioned laterally on the frame. I had to take spacers and extra nuts off of one side of the flywheel axle and move them to the other in order to get it out of the way of the spring but still aligned with the drive belt.

Overall, I can't recommend this unit unless you get it at a store that will assemble it for you and verify that it's right, and that places its cost at or above other bikes in its class.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the goal-oriented, May 1, 2006
J. Scruggs (Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn 113 Upright Exercise Bike [Discontinued] (Sports)
This bike has been nicknamed 'Marky' because it has much in common with the Marquis de Sade.

Nonetheless, I DO love it. It is absolutely silent, user-friendly, very efficient, and really motivates you when you watch the numbers changing on the screen.

As other reviewers have noted, the fan is a waste of time. You'll never feel it. But my bike arrived in perfect condition and only took about an hour to assemble.

I called Schwinn before I ordered this bike to ask if the a/c power adapter was included, and it was. The box also includes all the tools required for assembly.

So far, I have only used the 'manual' function and have kept the resistance at 7 for 30 minutes per session. This burns about 340-350 calories per session.

It is a taskmaster, and actually very mean, but I love it anyway. It gets the job done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bike met all expectations, August 16, 2006
CESD (Morganton, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn 113 Upright Exercise Bike [Discontinued] (Sports)
Seeing this item was top rated by Consumer Reports and reading the other reviews here on Amazon.com was helpful to me in selecting this bike. My experiences were similar - packaging was poor - the box just about fell apart on delivery and was held together with straps. Fortunately, nothing was missing or damaged, and it assembled and operated just fine. The seat is a bit uncomfortable but then again I haven't been on a bike in a long time. So far I've been using it every day without problems of any kind and have been pleased with the purchase - it's a good value and is already helping to strengthen and increase flexibility in my legs which is the main reason I purchased it. If properly packaged and with a comfortable seat, it would have received 5 stars (I would rate it 4 1/2*).

2.0 out of 5 stars Bike great when it works, May 2, 2006
This review is from: Schwinn 113 Upright Exercise Bike [Discontinued] (Sports)
I loved this bike for 30 days, which is all the time it took for the magnetic gears to break. Schwinn was great on the phone and sent a technician to repair, but replacement motor didn't work and replacement electronics part was back-ordered for another 2 months. (It had already been broken for a month by then.) Begging and pleading with Schwinn supervisor resulted in a replacement bike. But I've had it 2 months and am beginning to get a knocking sound which is what preceded the previous bike's breakdown. If the bike were trouble-free, it would be a wonderful model; but my experience has been awful.

Schwinn 113 Upright Exercise Bike [Discontinued]