Verified Purchase
I did a lot of online research before purchasing this bike. I was looking for a bike that was built well, quiet, decent electronics, and good value. This Schwinn 140 is exactly what I was looking for. Shipping was very quick for this item. Amazon told me it shipped on a Friday, and it arrived at my house the following Tuesday.

Unpacking the box was relatively easy. It looked like a lot of parts at first, but there weren't that many steps required to put this bike together. I was able to assemble this bike in about an hour, by myself. The instructions were clear, although installing the handle bars was a little tricky.

Once the bike was assembled I spent about 15 minutes making adjustments for my riding height and style. This bike has many adjustments, so take your time getting it right. I'll probably make more adjustments after my first full week of workouts.

I really like the electronics. The display looks high-end. It's bright, easy to read, the colors are nice. I had one issue when I first powered up the bike, after 2 minutes I got an "E3" error. But after resetting the display, it was fine, and I haven't seen it since. Hopefully that's not a portent of things to come. But so far so good.

I'm 6', and weigh 240 pounds (that's why I bought an exercise bike). This bike feels very sturdy for my size and weight. No loose parts, or creaking noises. At least not yet.

I will be posting pictures to Amazon shortly.
review image review image review image review image review image
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 26, 2009
Verified Purchase
After doing much research on upright excercise bikes, I selected the Schwinn 140. I ordered the unit from Amazon on Sunday and received it on Wednesday. The box is good sized and quite heavy so I waited for the weekend to move to the basement and assemble. The assembly process took about 1.5 hours. The instructions were simple (tools included) all parts went together very well. I had a little challenge installing the handlebars (due to computer cable), but after a couple of tries, everything fell into place an sligned properly. The computer unit has a number of pre-programmed profiles, but I created my own, and this was a very easy and simple process. The instruction manual could be better, but most operation is intuitive anyway, so not that important. The bike is very quiet and smooth, allowing the user to change profiles on the fly. The unit is also allows for easy adjustment for just about every aspect of the bike, allowing different users a proper fit. Overall, very pleased with value received and of prompt delivery by Amazon.
on October 22, 2009
Verified Purchase
Had it almost two weeks. Goes together in about an hour and fits in an incredibly small space. Seems very well constructed, no loose parts. Takes awhile to adjust everything as everything is adjustable. Seat is very comfortable, I purchased a different seat when I ordered the bike, but decided to use the seat that came with it. Makes absolutely no noise at all when you're riding it. Shifting between levels is smooth and quiet, and the pedaling is very smooth and consistent all the way around. Heartbeat monitor on the handles work great, but trying to get my Polar band to talk to it has been a challenge as there is no documentation on how it connects. Seems like if you start riding first, then activate the band, it works, but still trying to figure this out. The interface on the computer takes some getting used to. The documentation for the computer could be a little better, but overall, I am extremely happy with this bike. Great value for the money!
on April 16, 2010
Verified Purchase
Like many others, I researched this bike for about 2 weeks before deciding to purchase it. I read everything I could find about Schwinn bikes period. The model before this (the 130) is what I was going to purchase at WalMart, it was cheaper but I would have to pay for tax & shipping (free shipping and no tax on Amazon.com) so it was only going to save me about $30 at WalMart (for the older model) so I am definitely glad I decided to buy the 140 at Amazon.com.
The previous model (130) was highly rated/recommended on the Consumer Report websites and that made me realize that a newer model would/should be even better. I live in a small apartment and although I wanted the recumbent one, I had to go with the upright. Not to mention, I figured I could work on my posture while riding upright. (ha ha) This bike is just what I need to get in shape. I have a leg injury and I am overweight and out of shape. I needed a piece of equipment that I could commit to and not feel like I was doing a dreaded chore. I can hop on this bike and watch tv, listen to music, talk with people around me, or just look out of my window.

At first I felt like the price was expensive compared to the other models, but it's true, you get what you pay for. As I mentioned, I am overweight and I needed something that would last while I pursued my fitness goals. The other brands are not built as well as the Schwinn models. Simply look at the frame work and tubing and you can tell.
After I put it together (without any problems whatsosever) I realized that it was of good quality and worth the money I spent. The setup was easy. I am a female with manicured nails and I didn't even chip my polish putting this bike together. I also didn't require any help. It was really easy. I had my laptop on my sofa with the manual enlarged (I went to the Schwinn website and downloaded it) so that I could see the images clearly, but I mainly used the paper manual that the bike came with.

I read the instructions for the setup of the user profile and everything went just fine.
~I read some reviews about little issues with customizing, but if you just take your time and read the manual, you will really see its not difficult. When you set up a custom workout, you have to realize that it goes through 30 levels so it appears as though nothing is happening, but be patient as you customize it and you will see that it is working right.~
~Also the Heart Rate monitor, if you simply plug it in on the side, it should work just fine. You just have to look for the spot to plug it in to.~
I have only used the bike 4 times so I can't give you any long term use information, other than the programs are nice, the resistance is great, and it has a lot of features on the console once you set up your user profile, but I can say that this is a very good investment for anyone considering purchasing a quality exercise bike. It is a good piece of equipment. If you have to save up a little to get the bike, start saving! If you are considering a different brand, forget about it! If you think that its hard to put together, get over the thought! If you are worried about it not being right for you, try it and you will like it!

I have a lot of weight to lose and I don't like going to the gym. I walk around my neighborhood which is ok, but now I can get a good little cardio workout. I am so glad that I got this bike. I am helping myself in the long run. This is the best way to spend over $300 and have something well worth it!

No missing/broken pieces, no damaged stabilizers, no damaged or flimsy box. I ordered and received in exactly 7 days. ***I'm NOT discrediting anyone's reviews about problems they had with their purchase, I am just stating that my purchase was problem free***

~I will add another review/or update in the future about how the bike is performing~ I hope this helps motivate someone!
review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 2, 2010
Verified Purchase
Delivery was quick. Set up was easy, took less than an hour. Bike is well made and sturdy. I usually manually control the resistance so cannot comment on preprogrammed readout.
Bike functions well, easy to adjust.
For my body type, long torso, shorter legs, the biomechanics of this bike could be better.
With seat properly adjusted, still have some lean on the arms and i find with rides longer than 20 minutes that i get some numbness in the hands.
As for the seat, this is fine and is reasonably comfortable for shorter rides.
Since i usually do intervals on indoor exercise equipment for 20-30 minutes, the above limitations are easily dealt with.
Overall an affordable addition to the home gym.
on December 2, 2009
Verified Purchase
I researched the internet for a long time before I decided to buy the 140. It fit what I was looking for as far as features and affordability. Then I waited 30 days to write my review. I so far I am not disappointed. The bike arrived quickly, was easy to assemble and is a good ride. I rated it a 4 out of 5 because a part was damaged in shipping and it took two phone calls and a month wait for the replacement part. Also the handlebars are slightly out of alignment. But the ride is smooth and very quiet (compared to my last bike a ProForm). My wife doesn't even think I'm riding. So far I have put on a little over 230 miles and have burned (supposedly) just under 7000 calories. I enter my own programs and feel I receive a great workout. I have not been able to get the heart rate monitor to work but I am not a big fan of having that on the handlebars anyway so I don't care. I know I am getting my rate up. I have had many different exercise bikes over the years and this is the best so far. I ride pretty hard and after a month there are no noises from wear yet. Seems quite solid. I strongly recommend this model.
on December 9, 2009
Verified Purchase
This is actually the second 140 I ordered from Amazon; the first arrived damaged due to poor packaging (not a shipper error). Amazon immediately shipped out the replacement.
The instructions are acceptable, although it is helpful if you are handy; tools are provided (they work), but your own tools will make assembly faster.
Mechanically, the bike is superb; resistance transitions are smooth and you can change resistance anywhere in a program with one touch. It is so quiet that your spouse won't believe you if you tell her/him you are using it; it can't be heard from another room. The display is well lit and easy to read (it tilts to different angles but its flat position seems to be the easiest to read).
There are some humorous errors in some of the motivation scrolling comments; the software from an elliptical and/or a treadmill or arm bike was used in some cases: e.g.,"reverse stride", "longer strides", "back to forward"; I wouldn't recommend reversing stride on an exercise bike! The only software error that I found that means something (although it's not very critical) is that the second user's number of workouts is not recorded correctly (at least on my bike). The bike does record the number of workouts, hours used, miles/km, weight loss, calories used (the calories used are based on your weight so don't expect true accuracy), but it's close enough. The bike also has an option for a guest user whose workout is not kept in memory.
The seat is reasonably comfortable; try getting used to it before expecting it to match the seat on your regular bike if you use one, it can be easily switched out if necessary. The handlebar heartbeat monitor works well; I was suprised by that.
Minor recommendation: the water bottle holder should have been placed a bit lower or on the side to allow for easier removal and replacement of the bottle; the handlebar assembly gets in the way.
All in all, a good quiet bike with a small footprint.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2009
Verified Purchase
This bike is very quiet and has several adjustments for riding position. Unfortunately I'm 6'2" and my knees hit the handle bars when I ride.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 21, 2010
Verified Purchase
I started my hunt for an exercise bike by driving around town and trying exercise bikes in stores. What I learned from this exercise is that not all exercise bikes are equal, and that a lot of them have an uncomfortable geometry with regard to where the seat and handlebars are located. For this reason, I would not recommend buying a bike that you have not tried in a store, because what you get may not fit you correctly. I chose the Schwinn 140 because when I tried it in a store I was happy with its comfort and performance.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with this purchase. This said, I have some other remarks. With regard to the assembly, I took my time, followed the directions, and it ended up taking most of an afternoon to assemble. The screws and knobs were vacuum sealed to a piece of cardboard, so I do not see how any of the parts could be missing or damaged. One tip I have for would-be assemblers is to record the serial number before assembly. On this model, the serial number turned out to be on the bottom of one of the supports, and the bike would have to be turned over to get to it once assembled. Once I had it together, I found that a couple of parts were loose and I had to go in and tighten them the next day. However, once I hopped on to give it a try, I found that it wasn't working. There was no resistance when I peddled.

I called customer support, and found that Schwinn was a division of Nautilus. Nevertheless, I was soon connected with the correct support person, and she was very efficient at diagnosing the problem over the phone. She told me I needed a new motor and that it would be shipped from Oregon and arrive in a week. Also, she called a repair man who contacted me the next day about the repair. For this reason, I am glad that I selected a Schwinn as opposed to another brand because I doubt that I could've gotten better or even equal customer support anywhere else.

A week later, the repair man arrived to install the part. He was EXTREMELY competent, and he tore the machine completely apart and rebuilt it. He diagnosed the problem as being in the cable as opposed to the motor, and he was able to replace the cable from parts in his truck. At this point, I feel completely confident that the machine is in 100% working condition and will not fail, due to the competency of the rebuilder.

Once I was able to start using the exercise bike, I started encountering problems with the seat. The seat is quite large, and on first sitting it is quite comfortable as well. However, as the days went by, I found that my buttocks were rubbing together and creating a sore in the vicinity of my coccyx. I gave it a lot of thought and concluded that the seat was too big for me. I went to the store and purchased a ladies size bicycle seat to replace it with, and so far I am more comfortable. I would advise anyone buying this machine to not replace the seat right off. It is not a bad seat, and you should use it for a while to see how compatible it is with your own seat. If you find it uncomfortable, you may, like me, choose to replace it with an ordinary bicycle seat rather than an exercise bicycle seat. My personal feeling about gel padding is that it is unnecessary, though it is built to some extent into regular bicycle seats. However, after using your bike for a while, you may decide to go with the padding after all. The point I'm trying to make is that if you have trouble with the seat it may be because it was designed to look good on an exercise bike more than to function as a bicycle seat, and if you have trouble with it it might be because it is just too big and flat.

I like very much using this exercise bicycle. It is solid, smooth, and quiet, with gentle transitions between the resistance levels. I am able to track my heart rate by holding the handlebars in the metal zone. The computer took a bit of getting used to, and actually technical support at Schwinn helped me get it set up to begin with. They are very nice, and actually American, which was a pleasant change for technical support. There are a number of pre-programmed exercise programs, and you are also able to create your own if you feel like it. I have not gotten to the point where I feel like creating my own, so I use the pre-programmed exercises.

I would recommend this exercise bicycle to anyone contemplating this purchase. From reading other peoples reviews, it does seem that having an exercise bike shipped to you bears the risk of not arriving in working condition, but Schwinn is very good at making it right for you so that you don't have to figure out how to get it back in the box and ship it back. I did check exercise bicycles around town, and the local stores wanted to charge a high price for delivering the bike and an even higher price for setting it up for you, so buying it from Amazon is an attractive alternative.
on November 18, 2009
Verified Purchase
I purchased this bike to continue with my physical therapy after hip replacement surgery. It was delivered quickly--less than a week. My husband assembled it for me in about 35 minutes. The bike is just about silent when it is in use, and I love the LED readout that helps you keep track of the time, speed, RPM's, distance and calories burned. It's stable but not too heavy to have to move from place to place. I started at about 5 minutes a day and I am up to 15 minutes. My hip is doing great and another benefit is that I have started to lose inches as well! I would recommend this bike to others.