5.0 out of 5 stars love this bike
Published on December 12, 2008 by Ann M. Smythe

2.0 out of 5 stars ooooo that smell, can't you smell that smell
I really wanted to like this bike. Using a recumbent bike has always been my favorite way to burn some extra calories when I get out of shape. And I have. So I saw this Schwinn for less than $300 which was frankly quite surprising, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

Published on March 29, 2009 by not sure why I bother

5.0 out of 5 stars love this bike, December 12, 2008
This review is from: Schwinn Active 20 Series Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
I bought this bike in February in preparation for knee surgery. It was extremely easy to put together - I had it together in one hour and I am a woman. It comes with all of the tools you will need. The display is nice and large and easy to understand without the manual. I used it to recover from knee surgery and now I ride it almost every morning for 30 minutes and I can really tell the difference in my legs and in my weight in general. I mostly wanted to express how easy it was to assemble and operate. I have had no trouble with it at all. I love this bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Schwin Active 20 Series Recumbent Exercise Bike, January 9, 2009
This review is from: Schwinn Active 20 Series Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
I've had this bike for about three weeks and I really like it. The bike is sturdy and assembly is easy. There are six preset hill programs to choose from, or you can use one of the six manually levels. Instructions and use of the computer are easy as well. One of the things I like about this bike is the fitness rating option, using the "recovery" button. It monitors your heart rate for 1 minute after you stop exercising, using the pulse sensors in the handles. It monitors the rate your heart slows then gives you a fitness rating from F1 (best) to F6 (worst). I get my heart rate up as high as I can on level 2 just before I stop exercising, and then I hit the recovery button. After exercising for three weeks I've have dropped from F5 to F4. My resting pulse rate has dropped from 80/minute to 65. I have bad knees and hips, but this bike does not aggravate them at all. If you want to strengthen and tone your legs, just put it up to level 6 and do about 20 reps. Level 6 can't be maintained for long, unless your a body builder. You may choose to get a more expensive bike, but I think this model will give you all you need for a good cardio workout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, December 29, 2008
This review is from: Schwinn Active 20 Series Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
I've had this bike for about 5 weeks now and am very pleased with my purchase. I just sit in front of the TV and play PS3 for about 1-2 hours every day and burn plenty of calories. The chair is much more comfortable than our old standard exercise bike, which is paramount when using it as much as we do.

We also looked at the more expensive, older Schwinn model. Personally, we liked this one better, and it's 200 bucks cheaper. This one was more comfortable and also much more easily adjusted, which is nice when you have 2 people using it at very different heights. This one hasn't been on the market as long, so I'm not sure how it'll last over the years, but so far it's been strong and sturdy. Still, we got a 3 year warranty (not from Amazon) just in case. Even with the warranty it's still much cheaper than the $[...] Schwinn model.

As for negatives, you can get a lot of resistance from this bike, but each step up is a big jump. It would have been nicer to be able to ramp up more gradually. Also, I believe the calorie burner count is too high. I have a hard time believing that I can burn almost 1000 calories in an hour (although I do get the resistance up pretty high and break a good sweat).

All told though, this is an excellent bike at an excellent price. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value: Easy to Assemble, Great Quality and Build, Good Workouts, February 2, 2009
This review is from: Schwinn Active 20 Series Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
For the past 3 or so months all that I've been going to the gym for is to do some cardio on their bikes. Naturally, I was very skeptical of purchasing this bike since it is considerably smaller and with less settings, speeds and resistance levels compared to the Life Fitness bikes at my gym (LA Fitness). Also, for this price (I got it for $249) it almost seemed "too good to be true". Key word here is "almost" as it is good enough to be true and worthwhile for what you get.

Pros:
1. Size. It is not as intrusive as I thought. Definitely recommend to take precise measurements before you buy this. I did, and I was very happy with the way it looks. Non invasive and not too intrusive and sleek.
2. Quiet. The unit makes almost no noise. The only thing you hear is a quiet whisper as you turn the pedals. You also hear a very light crank sound when the unit switches between the lower and the maximum levels.
3. Comfortable. The seat is wide enough and soft enough that I can sit on it and work out for up to 90 minutes, break a good sweat and feel comfortable the entire time.
4. Assembly. Was relatively easy considering I did it all by myself. It took me close to an hour to get it all set up (and I am no expert).

Cons:
1. Resistance level. The highest resistance level is not much of a challenge (then again, this depends on your fitness level). I am sure that a pro biker will laugh at it while someone intermediate like myself will be OK with it as it provides a good cardio work out.
2. Seat adjustment. This might be an advantage to some people depending on tastes. But the way by which you adjust the seat is by a pressure/lock type mechanism. I don't know how this will hold out over the years but by then I might be sick of the machine and wish to replace it for something fancier.

Conclusion:
I gave it 4 stars because of the resistance level. But I definitely love working out on this bike, especially while I watch TV, the time flies by and I feel great after I'm done. If space and money are a concern, and if you don't need high resistance levels, then this is for you.

**UPDATE** 8/10/2010

The bike still works great after using it pretty regularly (not daily use, because I was commuting far for work). Only scare I had was a few months ago when the bike controls wouldn't respond and the resistance mode couldn't be changed. The timer worked fine and I almost flipped out. That said, I felt so stupid when I realized that all I needed to do was change the batteries on the back of the control panel. Worked as good as new! Still highly recommend!

2.0 out of 5 stars ooooo that smell, can't you smell that smell, March 29, 2009
This review is from: Schwinn Active 20 Series Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)

The bike assembled easily enough, the instructions weren't difficult to follow and they even provided tools for assembly (although you'd be better off using something of your own if you have decent tools). Once assembled and powered on, I hopped on the bike to give it a spin. Initially I was impressed. The bike was sturdy, easy to adjust and once I glanced at the manual, easy to program.

I set the bike for my age(32) and 90% target heart rate, and 40 minutes. After five minutes or so, I realized something was wrong. At this point, I had been pushing the maximum resistance the bike could give me for a couple of minutes and it couldn't get my pulse rate over about 145. Now, if I were some fitness junky who works out all of the time, maybe I could see this, but I'm 5'11" and 215lbs(quite chubby). I canceled the workout and tried again at 70% target heart rate and that worked better. It still had to go up to maximum to get me to THR (140), but once there it bounced up and down to keep my pulse in the target range.

After a 40 minute workout, I noticed something else wrong. According to the machine I had burned close to 900 calories! There is positively NO WAY I could have burned much more than 1/2 of that in that time frame at my current fitness level. When I was in the Air Force 6 years ago and working out 5 times a week, I would burn about 600 calories in a 45 minute workout on a recumbent bike at the gym (same ballpark for all of the 10+ different bikes at the gym). That was when I weighed about 180lbs and was much younger.

After a few workouts I noticed yet another problem. The bike emits a bad smell from the main compartment (and no its not BO). I don't know if it is caused by friction from the workout or what, but it gets worse as the workout progresses. At this point, I emailed amazon for an exchange thinking the bike was defective. The exchange policy worked as well as possible for a 90lb piece of exercise equipment and I received a new bike promptly.

Unfortunately, the new bike is exhibiting the same problems (although to a lesser extent) as the old one. The smell isn't as pervasive, but still shows up during/after long workouts. The calorie count is slightly closer to believable, but I still think it is way off. I'm not going to send it back however, because wrestling the pieces back into the box once was all the fun I could stand, so I'm left with a slightly smelly bike that tells me I working out harder than I actually am (and will probably not be good enough to get my heart rate up if I actually get back into shape.

For what it is worth, my parents have one of the more expensive Schwinn models (I think it is a 230 or 231) and have had no problems at all and it gave a more realistic calorie count when I rode it. Perhaps the company simply skimped a little too much on this economy model. My advice would be to recommend stepping up to one of the better models and avoid the active 20 series.

Oh, one last thing, if you are over 6ft tall, don't expect to be able to completely extend your leg, even with the seat all the way back. I have the seat all the way back and can just barely go through a full range of motion.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Schwinn Active 20 met all my expectations, April 21, 2009
M. Lee "meel" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Active 20 Series Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
After reviewing many Amazon reviews and looking at many models of exercise bikes at local sports stores, I purchased a Schwinn Active 20 recumbent bike. The features I was looking for were silent eddy current resistance, low and sleek profile for stability and comfort, good ergonomics and easy to adjust, no power consumption (no need to plug into outlet), enough resistance to give me a good workout, and durability.

Since I didn't care if the bike arrived in 5 days or 11 days, I opted for the free shipping and saved $53 in shipping cost. To my surprise the bike showed up at my front door the day after I placed the order with the box in good condition.

The assembly was straight forward and took me 35 minutes. The assembly directions were clear and easy to follow, and all the necessary tools were included. The bolts and washers were organized and clearly labeled.

After assembly, my family helped to break in the bike. It adjusted easily to suit user heights ranging from 4 ˝ feet to 6 feet (70 to 185 lbs). The seat was well cushioned and comfortable enough for extended use. The unit was extremely silent and smooth at all resistance levels. There was no smell of any sort even after 60 minutes of continuous use at higher resistance levels. The Active 20 is well built with heavy duty metal parts. It is very stable and did not rock or sway during use.

This unit is heavy, but the built in tilt up wheels made it easy to move. My only minor complaint is the battery powered display (4 C sized batteries were included in the package) can be hard to read at times, since it does not have internal lighting. The control was easy to understand and use, even without reading the directions. New resistance took a second or so to kick in after any adjustment. The resistance levels should be adequate for most people, but the availability of even higher levels would have been nice. The heart rate monitor was accurate, but the calorie calculator must be way off. There is no way I can burn off 250 calories in 15 minutes on this unit (this was noted by some other reviewers as well). This unit does not require AC power, so placement is not limited by the availability of power outlets.

So far this exercise bike has met all of my expectations. We'll see about the durability, although the Active 20 seems well designed and well built. I will recommend this bike to all my friends, family, and my fellow Amazon shoppers.

Updated 8 months later: This bike still works well after 8 months of use at about twice per week with each session lasting about 30 minutes. I only use the max resistance setting. So I can see why some people may need more resistance. The control still runs well with the original batteries, and the heart rate monitor is still accurate. The only problem that I've experienced is that the seat got hard to adjust. Since no one else use the bike any more, so I have not bothered trying to fix the problem with some lubricant. Over all I'm very happy with this purchase, and I would still recommend it for this price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike for gamers or movie lovers., February 9, 2009
This review is from: Schwinn Active 20 Series Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
Yes I am a gamer. I work at a desk all day, then come home and my favorite hobby is to sit at my computer and play games. This lifestyle has been detrimental to my poor body. I've been looking for ways to get fit. I've tried a gym membership, treadmill, Wii Fit, and various other things but nothing has kept my interest for long.

Finally I found the recumbent bike. This particular one sparked my interest because it was a high quality name with good reviews but had a low profile, plus it wasn't too expensive. I've had it for about a month now and have used it almost every day for at LEAST one hour. I've gone up to two hours at once, and the only thing holding me back from doing more is the seat does get a little uncomfortable after that long (don't worry, for one-hour sessions it is fine).

Why is it good for gamers? I have put a folding table between my computer table and the bike, which means I can easily just move keyboard, mouse, and monitor over any time I use the bike. I looked at a lot of solutions, but this one is cheap and effective (there are better ones for significantly more money than one folding table). Thus I can play games, surf the web, or watch movies while I bike. I don't even notice the time going by. I've biked during full movies. Finally I can do my favorite hobby AND get exercise at the same time.

The only thing to be aware of is this bike does not exercise your upper body. I supplement it by doing pushups and crunches.
I'm 6'3" and fit comfortably without having the seat all the way back. I also assembled this by myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, January 14, 2009
SDD (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Active 20 Series Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
I purchased this bike after reading all the reviews on this site and researching reviews from other sites as well. I went to a store to actually try a few of the models out that had high reviews, and decided on this bike over the next higher models (i.e., Schwinn 230). This bike is easy to adjust, the seat is very comfortable, and I liked the fact that the monitor is battery powered so I do not need to position the bike near a plug. I noticed other reviewers complained about the assembly process...believe me, I am absolutely not mechanically gifted and I am terrible at following written directions! That being said, I was able to put the bike together by myself, with the tools included, in around an hour and 15 minutes. No problems at all! I have used the bike every day since my purchase and I am very pleased, it is comfortable and quiet. No bells and whistles to this model, but it gets the job done.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good purchase, January 6, 2009
This review is from: Schwinn Active 20 Series Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
After Amazon got their shipping / availability act together the unit did arrive when promised, and in great shape.

We have used it for about a month and it seems to work just fine. It assembled easily in less than an hour, and all parts were there. The unit is quiet and both my wife and I use it. The seat is comfortable and the seat adjustment works good. There seems to be enough resistance for a good work out. I have tried the full resistance level and I don't see many people using that for very long.

The only problem I see with the unit is in low light the display is hard to read as it is not back lit, but not really a problem in a well lit room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to put together and simple to use., February 2, 2009
This review is from: Schwinn Active 20 Series Recumbent Exercise Bike (Sports)
It took about an hour and a half for me (33 petite female) to put this bike together. The pictures were accurate, and all the tools were provided. The bike arrived quickly and in excellent condition. Only quirks were getting the footstraps on and locking the seat. Within minutes of it being put together, our entire family tested it which includes my husband (6"1), son (12), daughter (6) and myself (5"0). All four of us were able to use it with ease, we added a pillow for our daughter. We have this placed in front of our tv, and alternate using it in our family room while watching tv. The bike is extremely quiet, and does not interfere with our tv viewing, and the console is compact enough to not get in our way. We have had recumbent bikes in the past; however, this is by far the best one we had. We also love Amazon Prime for our super quick shipping at no cost.