5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great bike

2.0 out of 5 stars Solid Construction with Quality Control Problems
Published on July 26, 2006 by P. Scott Pope

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great bike, February 10, 2007
This review is from: Schwinn Airdyne Evo Comp Exercise Bike (Sports)
You know all of the advantages of the Schwinn Airdyne bikes and no reason to rehash here. But I believe the Airdyne Evo Comp is worth the few extra bucks over the old standard Airdyne for several reasons. First, the Airdyne Evo Comp is noticably quieter because it uses a belt to drive the fan verses a chain on the Airdyne. Second, the Airdyne Evo Comp has newer technology/higher quality components in the bearings, crankset, etc. so it will last even longer than the old standard (which has a great service history!). Third, the shape of the fans in the Airdyne Evo Comp eliminates the drafting effect on the Airdyne which actually reduces the pedaling resistance at higher speeds a little. Fourth, the fan on the Airdyne Evo Comp does not blow on you like the Airdyne (I actually would prefer a little air on me when working out, but most people don't).

I found the assembly instructions ok. You must pay attention to what you are doing and follow them exactly as written but you can follow them. (This is the same as the Airdyne I understand.) I did not find any of the "China quality problems" described by others. In fact, I find the quality outstanding. As far as the rubber shavings, I had that problem and I noticed the rubber belt was rubbing on the fan cage. Simply loosening the 3 screws that attach the fan cage to the bike frame, rotating the cage an inch or so where the belt does not rub on the cage, and retightening took care of the problem -- a 2 minute fix. Finally, the overall rating on this bike is not as low as the stars show -- you will notice that one of the 2-star ratings is listed 3 times bringing down the average rating down 1-star -- otherwise it would be about the same as the Airdyne. Overall, this is a great bike and I am happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars HOW TO ASSEMBLE, March 3, 2011
Christopher Godfrey (Milwaukee, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Airdyne Evo Comp Exercise Bike (Sports)
Our new Schwinn Airdine Evo was delivered the other day, and I got around to putting it together last night. I'm experienced, and doing it carefully and thoughtfully, it still took me several hours.

If you've read the other reviews, you'll notice a few 2008-ish complaints about the bottom bracket breaking. I noticed on my brand-new bike that the bottom housing had been taken apart at some point (the sticker was cut along the seam) so I've got my fingers crossed that Schwinn/Nautilus has addressed the issue and replaced the faulty internal hardware at the factory. We'll see soon enough.

The Home Assembly instructions are TERRIBLE. If you're inexperienced with tools, assembling this bike is going to be a bit of a challenge. I do recommend you have this professionally assembled if you're uncomfortable.

That wasn't an option for me, so, in the interest of good cardio karma, I decided to keep notes as I assembled mine. I wrote these instructions imagining I was phone tech support and I was helping a total novice. You may want to print this, and keep it with your receipts and paperwork.

DETAILED ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCHWINN/NAUTILUS AIRDYNE EVO COMP.

Tools required-
14mm, 15mm, 17mm Metric Wrenches
1/2" and 7/8" Standard Wrench
Medium sized Phillips screw driver
A small set of Metric Hex/Allen Wrenches (If you don't own any, a set is often nominally more expensive than just a couple)
A rubber mallet, (or a hammer with something like an oven mitt or thick sock over the head)
**Don't even THINK about using "adjustable" wrenches or pliers!! They are sloppy, frustrating, and can cause damage. You just spent $700 for this bike! Go spend $25 more for proper tools!**

Step 1 - Spin the flat, black tabbed wingnuts onto feet, tabs down. Insert feet into front and rear bottom floor stabilizer tubes

Step 2 - Attach Rear Stabilizer tube to the frame with the two black, round head 6mm Hex/Allen bolts, and black lock washer (a lock washer looks like it's been cut and twisted)

Step 3 - Attach Front Stabilizer tube to frame with the long black bolts (17mm) and the black nuts (14mm)

Step 4 - Install computer to top of computer post. Put the batteries in it first. Don't forget the little black rubber cushions that go over the metal nubs. Run computer data cable down through the post. Attach computer to the top of the metal post with TWO (not all four), of the shiny metal Philips screws with no washers. (There are 4 screws and washers in the bag, for use only on the original Airdyne bike, which uses the same computer, but has a different post) The screws are self-tapping, which means they drill themselves into the slots in the plastic when you put pressure on them, which might feel a little weird. Tighten the screws all the way down, but not harder than snug, or you can damage the soft plastic. The strength in your wrists should be enough.

Step 5 - Install computer post onto frame with four small black, round head 5mm Hex/Allen bolts. Careful not to overtighten, as you don't want to damage the threads in the holes on the frame. The data cable for the computer plugs into a socket on the right side of the fan cage. It might be a good time to use a twist tie or a piece of tape to secure the extra length of loose data cable.

Step 6 - Install the handle bars. Leave the plastic wrap on them for now. The axle bolt is already installed through the handle bars at the footrests, all you have to do is screw it into the frame. Be careful- use your fingers at first to make sure it's tightening smoothly, with no crossed threads. Tighten securely with a 7/8" wrench.

Step 7 - Connect the bottom of the handle bars to the pedals. You'll need a few parts for this. From the outside in, it goes:

6mm stainless Hex Bolt | stainless flat washer | grey handlebar end | stainless spacer (looks like a very thick washer) | chrome pedal connecting rod | stainless spacer | stainless flat washer, | 1/2" stainless nut.
Put the ribbed black rubber sleeves over the footrests. You may need to use a rubber mallet or hammer.

Step 8 - Handlebar Grips. You can probably figure out how these go on, but be patient, they do not go on easy. Each grip took me about 20 minutes to wiggle down the handlebar. You might wish to try a hairdryer to gently warm and expand the grips. Once the grips are on all the way, gently tap the plastic plugs into the end of the handlebar with the rubber mallet.

Step 9 - Pedals. BE AWARE THAT THE PEDALS ARE NOT IDENTICAL! The left pedal is intentionally threaded backwards, and is the one with the ridgey texture on the axle inside by the threads. Take care to not cross the threads when screwing in the pedals. Use your fingers as much as you can before you tighten them down with the 15mm wrench. They should go in smoothly, evenly, and perpendicular all the way.

{The basic factory pedals are okay... but I won't talk you out of going to a bike shop and buying better pedals with a foot strap on them.}

Step 10 - Install seat, tighten with 17mm wrench.

Step 11 - Install water bottle holder with small hex/allen screws

Step 12 - Adjust feet and tighten lock washers so bike sits sturdy and level.

Step 13 - If desired, Install locking pin and spring into top of fan. I chose not to do this. I don't leave the bike outside, and I don't anticipate windy conditions in my basement that start the bike operating on it's own.

When you're all done, you should have 2 small hex screws, 2 small phillips screws, and 4 small washers left over. I believe all of these parts are for use on the original Airdyne bike.

I hope these instructions were helpful to you. I know it would have shaved a couple hours of my assembly time. It's a shame if there are people who bought this quality bike, and are not using it because they couldn't assemble it properly. If this was helpful, please mark it as such, so it stays near the top of the page and more people see it.

Good luck, and don't forget to fill out and send in your registration card- take advantage of the 30 year warranty!
- Chris Godfrey March 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars Solid Construction with Quality Control Problems, July 26, 2006
This review is from: Schwinn Airdyne Evo Comp Exercise Bike (Sports)
After seeing this bicycle in Paragon Sports in Manhattan, I knew I had to purchase it. The solid construction and compact design demonstrated a leap forward from the original Schwinn Airdyne. At approximately 95lbs, it was solid enough for a health club/rehabilitation center setting but light enough for a consumer. While I have multiple gym memberships, I thought this would be a good item to have at my parents' house both for their use and when I visit. Unfortunately, the purchase turned out to be mistake due to the incredible hassles created by Schwinn Fitness' poor quality control.

Basically, what Schwinn Fitness (i.e Nautilus) has done is improve the time-tested air-resistance concept. The original Airdyne, which is 20+ years old uses a large 30" diameter fan with flat blades. The Airdyne Evolution Comp uses a much smaller fan that is wider and has contoured blades, which increases resistance. This leads to smoother operation with less vibration. Combining traditional bicycle pedaling with an arm swinging movement, it allows for a great cardio workout - with some limitations.

My one gripe with the fundamental design is that it lacks variable resistance and only one gear ratio. In an object moving through air, the resistance increases exponentially with velocity. So, instead of increasing the level of resistance electronically as you would on a multi-thousand dollar Life Fitness exercise bicycle, you merely need to pedal slightly faster to get a big jump in overall energy expenditure. Hence, all of the resistance comes from air movement affected solely from the velocity and not from friction or magnetism. This leads to a tradeoff between simplicity and flexibility.

While the design and construction are very solid, it appears that Schwinn/Nautilus needs to carefully oversee their Chinese fabrication facilities. Basically, the internal mechanisms have not been fully tightened down. This has led problem with the bottom bracket, which requires special bicycle tools unavailable at the local hardware store. In my case, after about three hours of use, the bike became useless as both rings in bottom bracket unscrewed. This is a major aggravation because to correct the problem, two special bicycle tools are needed: 1) crank puller and 2) Shimano bottom bracket tool. These are only available online or at very well stocked bicycle stores.

After several exchanges with both Schwinn Fitness and the distributor, I learned that there were known problems with the bottom bracket. I was told to use Loctite when reassembling it. Perhaps they should explain why this wasn't done in the first place. As a former engineer and bicycle enthusiast, I was reasonably well equipped to deal with such problems. I can't imagine how someone without a large set of tools or any mechanical ability would correct the problem. Moreover, sending a 100 lb package back to the manufacturer would be a hassle in itself. In the end, I fixed the problem. Given the aggravation tracking down the tools, I can say it simply was a bad decision to purchase.

Pros
Solid construction
Innovative design
Low center of gravity

Cons
Major quality control problems
Cheap pedals (need purchase aftermarket pedals with toe clips)
Computer lacks data to properly calculate calories such as weight, age, gender, body type

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, May 12, 2007
This review is from: Schwinn Airdyne Evo Comp Exercise Bike (Sports)
I owned the old version of the Airdyne from 1991 until 2003. I made the mistake of selling it at a yard sale when we moved from Wisconsin to Florida in the fall of 2003 because we were down sizing from large house to a condo. I've joined gyms and left my membership go to waste because I never had time or inclination to get there. Realizing that I felt miserable and that I was gaining weight, I decided it was time to get serious about my health again and get myself an Airdyne.

I have degenerating vertebrae in my middle back so I find myseelf getting stiff easily and suffering from spasms when I am not active. The pain often makes me feel like lyiing down or nesting in a pile of pilloows on the sofa, which is the worst thing that I can do. The airdyne is the answer for me. I crawl up on the seat and begin slowly, warming up my back muscles with the rotation of the handle bars. He seems to help loosen the muscle so that the vertebrae can slip back into normal alignment and then my back relaxes. Now days, I eat breakfast then hop on the airdyne, setting the timer for 20 minutes. It's always the hardest 20 minutes because that's the minimum time that I set for myself. Once the alarm tells me I am done, I continue to pedal for the enjoyment of exercise. The slight breeze created by the fan cools me off as I exercise. I have my ipod securely planted in my ears and close my eyes and enjoy the rest of my wokout.

The movement is smoother than my old Airdyne. The noise that it makes is a gentle whirr instead of a thunderous cranking and wind. The airdyne takes up a small space in the corner of my home office but I consider it the best use of space in the condo. I actually use it two or three times a day because it helps me relax. I am a diabetic who has hypertention and has had a quadrupple bypass. Regular exercise on the airdayne is helping me to maintain my blood sugar and gives me energy to work more effiently through the rest of my day. It also helps build my serotonun levels so that i can enjoy my life, family and friends more. It is the best machine that I know of for regular home exercise. I've been using an Airdynne for almost 16 years now. The Evo is a wonderful machine, primarily because it is smoother and quieter than the original model, which is also a wonderful machine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor quality, May 2, 2006
I'm sad that this really neat concept of a bike is poorly constructed. We got it and set it up (not the easiest set up--it took several hours) and found that it was making a terrible noise and leaving rubber shavings all over. Turns out that the rubber chain driver rubs against the metal. It was sort of one thing after another. If you get this DO NOT order it via the web. Go to a local store, check it out, and be sure they will deliver it and set it up to your satisfaction. I wish someone would have told me this.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great once you get it together..., February 25, 2009
This review is from: Schwinn Airdyne Evo Comp Exercise Bike (Sports)
Ordered mine from Amazon during a promotion and got it for a steal so I couldn't resist. $615 out the door with free shipping. It came sooner than expected and everything was in the box as it should be. ALL EXCEPT THE ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS!!! I googled for a bit and found a detailed parts breakdown and used that to assemble it. Once assembled it was everything I expected for the price. Works great. Very solid. No complaints with the product at all. I am mechanically savvy and have a garage full of tools so all the issues you see from other posters did not affect me as much, but I do have some suggestions for improvement.

Few recommendations for Schwinn:

1. Schwinn needs to post the assembly instructions on their website (only the user manual can be found there).
2. They need to tell you upfront that it requires metric tools including metric allen wrenches. Not all your online consumers will have these.
3. They need to drop a flier in the box indicating that the fan cage CAN move during shipping and force it into the rubber belt and show you how to adjust it.
4. They need to realize that much of their business in the future will be online and should focus their support accordingly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike, crummy assembly instructions, February 5, 2008
This review is from: Schwinn Airdyne Evo Comp Exercise Bike (Sports)
I warm up before weight training on an ancient, well-used Airdyne at the municipal rec center, and I really like its movement. I was also impressed at how well it has stood up to institutional use over the course of many years. So, when my trainer suggested I do High Intensity Interval Training first thing in the morning, I started researching a machine to buy for home use. It was either going to be an Airdyne or an elliptical trainer, and cheap elliptical trainers are unacceptable to me. The Airdyne cost a third of what I would spend on a decent elliptical trainer, and it's much smaller and easier to move around. I chose the Evo Comp over the original design because I wanted the quieter fan.

The Evo Comp is much smoother and quieter than the old Airdyne at the rec center, and I like that it doesn't blow air on me. If I need a breeze, I'll plug in a fan. Whatever quality control issues that existed for the 2006 reviewers seem to have been fixed, as my Airdyne performs perfectly.

Really, the only negative comment I have for it is the assembly instructions, which are still terrible. I'm mechanically inclined, so assembly was easy for me to figure out, but I could easily see a less mechanically competent person having trouble. I encountered at least one error in the written instructions, but the worst part is the images, which are so crude and low resolution as to be pretty much worthless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the home workout, December 9, 2007
G. Haynes (Minot, ME United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Airdyne Evo Comp Exercise Bike (Sports)
I've owned the Evo for 3 years now and am totally satisfied. I've put over 5000 miles on this baby and have never had a mechanical problem. I bought it through a local bike shop and had it assembled there so maybe the complaints of quality and malfunction have more to do with the assembler than the equipment. This is not the bike for someone in training for competetive cycling but is perfect for the home exerciser. This motion is smooth, works several muscle groups and does not wear out your legs like a bike only does. I recommend this equipment without reservation.

4.0 out of 5 stars good as part of a cardio workout, January 23, 2007
This review is from: Schwinn Airdyne Evo Comp Exercise Bike (Sports)
I have just passed 800 miles on my EVO comp and am very satisfied with it. I found it to be a quality product and have had no problems at all. I would like to see better pedals and a computer with more features, but it meets all of my needs. I also have an elliptical and a treadmill so this was a great addition to varying my work outs. I did purchase this item over the internet and received a great price but have not needed any support so I can't speak to how well that would work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Exercise Bike, January 10, 2008
This review is from: Schwinn Airdyne Evo Comp Exercise Bike (Sports)
After researching many types of home exercise equipment, I found the Airdyne to be the best buy for the easiest setup and the least maintenance.

I bought it over the web and it was shipped via DHL. There is some assembly required so I was pleased to see about half the machine already assembled. One of the hardest parts is actually getting it out of the box. The bike is well packaged and the box is industrial corrugated. The box contained all the necessary parts and screws, but you will need a good set of wrenches to assemble the bike.

Depending on how well you know your tools will result in how well your assembly will go. With no knowledge of bolts and screws, I was able to put it together by myself in 4 hours. But the instruction book was poorly illustrated, doesn't distinguish each bolt and screw (it just provides a list and quantity), and it mixed up 2 sets of screws in the instructions. Also another hand would've helped as the hardest part of assembly is attaching the front stabilizer to the bike frame. It requires the frame to be lifted and the holes on the frame to lay where the holes on the stabilizer are so the two can be bolted together. The frame is heavy and the holes are hard to see because its beneath the fan.

When assembled, the bike performed well. The fan blades are much quieter than the original Airdyne and I had no belt shaving problem. I love the arm swings so I can also work out the upper body. I think my only real problem is the seat (maybe I didn't attach it well enough).

But the one thing I will say that may be an issue is the bike's height. I am a 5'5" and the first seat level is a bit too high for me. This equipment seems to be designed for taller people. Also, I'd like a bike cover to prevent dust from accumulating in the fan section.

All in all, this is a great piece of workout equipment and well worth the investment. I see some bad reviews about this product on Amazon, but it maybe from people who bought it when it first came out and Nautilus may have fixed some of the issues since. Also, I'm wary about buying workout equipment from some retailers because they don't maintain their inventory in good condition.

Schwinn Airdyne Evo Comp Exercise Bike