Questions & Answers
4.6 out of 5 stars (249)
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 questions
votes
Rant warning! (You've been warned.) I ordered the Airdyne AD4 on October and received it on October. I set it right up. It's a beautiful machine. Just what I wanted. Except the heart rate monitor hardly works and I'm very, very disappointed, because I planned on using heart rate as my primary metering indication. Heart rate occasionally displays for about a second a couple of times during rampup, none at all during the main exercise period, and usually displays some of the time during my cool-down period. There is no blinking heart symbol on the console. When I was unpacking the AD4 I found a big (6x9) slick card with the banner "Schwinn Heart Rate Systems" along one edge and the following text in big font: "This product has an optional heart rate monitoring module available." In somewhat smaller, but still large type (maybe 32 points) the unfortunate new owner is advised: "Please ask your dealer for more information." Prior to ordering the AD4 I wrote to Amazon support (as it turned out, anticipating the card described above) to ask what was required to make the heart rate function work. They referred me to the manufacturer. Schwinn (Nautilus) Customer Care recommended the Polar T31 non-coded transmitter chest strap, which I purchased with the Airdyne. At this point I was stumped. No way to determine where the problem was. I wrote to a place in Dallas that advertises they repair all makes of fitness equipment. I asked them if I brought in the AD4's console and the T31 they could help me troubleshoot my problem. To my astonishment the outfit wrote back saying they don't do warranty work on Schwinn equipment. Some of the customer reviews of the AD4 on Amazon's site have been very helpful. I first found out about the Polar T31 there. I've been in there a number of times, finally wising up and using the search function. I found this treasure I am sure I never would have become aware of if I had not been reading the reviews. One reviewer mentioned that he had purchased an Omron HR-100C HRM (watch/monitor) and that its chest strap transmitter used a non-coded signal. He reported that not only could he monitor his heart rate on his Omron wrist monitor but that his heart rate began to display on his AD4 console. The HR-100C with chest strap transmitter and watch/monitor (cool carrying case too) sells on Amazon for less than the Polar T31 alone. I bought a set. BINGO! When it arrived I verified that the Omron transmitter and monitor worked together. They did flawlessly. I tried the Omron transmitter with the AD4 monitor. It worked once and never again. I tried the Polar T31 with the Omron monitor and it worked solidly. Conclusion? Defective (seriously flaky) AD4 heart rate monitor. I'm obviously not returning the AD4 to Amazon. I wrote to Schwinn Fitness (Nautilus) Customer Care describing the symptoms and my test results. I got a reply saying it would be impossible to troubleshoot by email and referring me to an 800 number. Oh- and be sure to have the bike near the phone. I wrote back asking where my nearest authorized Schwinn Fitness repair center was located. The customer support representative wrote back saying my only option was to make the phone call. She came across as exasperated. In my mind I could see, feel and hear her hissing through her teeth. She added that if I happened to be in a select area they could dispatch a service technician to my location for something like $165 one time only. Oh, by the way, I did register my bike the day after I received it. The registration session finished without any acknowledgement that it was successful. I replied to the latest message from the customer support rep asking if she could determine if my registration was in their system. There hasn't been enough time for a reply. Note that the half of the owner's manual is a description of general fitness programs and nearly all of that section describes metrics in terms of heart rate. That Schwinn would make heart rate monitoring optional (and unsupported) is unfathomable. It is ironic that product sold as aerobic equipment doesn't have complete and integrated heart rate monitoring provisions. This is a work in progress. More to come.
Nov 7, 2012 by David R. McKeen
votes
It recently disappeared off of Amazon. I found one at Krislynn Cycling & Fitness - www.krislynn.net. Their name for it is Schwinn Book Stand. It sold for $36.99 and shipping was reasonable. The packing list identifies the stand as model SCW-BOOK-SA. I have not opened the box it came in so far. (I am having trouble with the AD4's HRM.) Hope this helps.
Nov 7, 2012 by David R. McKeen
votes
My machine is temporarily in storage so I can't inspect it to figure out what might be wrong with yours; I hope another person has a definitive answer. But offhand, it sounds like a problem with the wedge pin working loose (is the nut securely fastened, with a lock washer or a self-locking nut?) and/or with excessive play in the crank where the wedge pin seats (perhaps it has become rounded after several wedge pin replacements, and a loose wedge pin began the process of deterioration). I'd disassemble as much as you can and make sure that the crank's wedge pin seat has not become worn, perhaps rounded or otherwise damaged. I can't figure out any other possible causes for the problem, assuming it works for a while and then goes off again, and the intervals during which it works are becoming shorter.
Dec 8, 2013 by JAM
votes
B. Williams says: I purchased the Giant dual fit the first week in June. I absolutely love it. It's quiet and the flywheel is much smaller than the airdyne. I have been using it since I bought it and have not seen any grease at all. I suggest you locate a schwinn dealership near you to check it out. That's where I purchased mine.
Jul 16, 2010 by Marvin fat
votes
Has anyone bought and can verify a better seat or seat cover that specifically fits the AD4 model? I've read all the ones sold here on Amazon only work with the older Airdynes.
Jun 27, 2012 by PK
votes
I do not know the answer yet. I have a women who lives next door to me, who is under 5' tall. I will have her come over and we will see how she does. She is 21yrs of age and a collage student, so she should be a good tester. I will get back to you. Art
May 21, 2014 by A. Ivershot
votes
Put some heavy weight household oil on it. Nothing fancy like Teflon oil since the bike isn't going out in the rain. Put a big throw rug under the bike in case it throws some oil droplets when you use it.
Feb 28, 2014 by Gregg Silk
votes
Yes, but keep in mind that if you have installed the electronic module, it might exceed the height of at least some minivans. It can also be removed, though.
Apr 6, 2013 by JAM
votes
Schwinn Airdyne Upright Exercise Bike I am looking for a manual or info regarding type of battery the computer uses and where I can buy one???
May 21, 2011 by Jeri B
votes
you will have no problem.only mounting hardware to the main assy, pedal bars, seat etc. the only little prob. I found, they say to attach comp. module bars to frame, then attach module. it is easier to attach bars to mod. leave a little loose, then attach assy to frame, then tighten all.
Jan 11, 2009 by E. marshall
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers