5.0 out of 5 stars Nice surprise for less than Bike shop prices
Published on June 3, 2009 by L. Laregina

3.0 out of 5 stars Eats tubes
Published on July 10, 2010 by Mountain Bob

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice surprise for less than Bike shop prices, June 3, 2009
This review is from: Schwinn Crest Urban Men's Hybrid Bike (700c Wheels) (Sports)
I purchased this Schwinn partly because they seem to have maintained a long-standing reputation for quality and also because I loved mine when I was younger. I primarily wanted a relatively lightweight , solidly built frame and this bike has it. The 700c wheels seems rather popular for hybrid bikes and have been well -received by many commuters. This wheel does not have nearly as much drag as a mtb tire and more protection and gripping power than a thin road bike tire.

The bike comes nearly fully assembled and is well packaged, inside an inner and outer protective carton. Setting up the handlebars, pedals and seat were a snap.

The whole process took about 15 minutes.

The frame is painted a very nice black (So I'm told, It actually looks dark green to my eyes), though it isn't the same frame seen in the product photo (The down tube is much thicker on the bike I received). The saddle is very, very comfortable and the adjustable sprung aluminum stem is a nice bonus, accommodating a variety of preferred sitting/riding styles.

Braking is very even and responsive with little fade. The bike feels well balanced while maneuvering and provides very forgiving handling characteristics. The front suspension fork is lightweight and mostly responsive on the rebound. IMO, it needs a bit more pressure but I've yet to get to it. I'd recommend experimenting with the proper pressure based on your weight and riding style.

The cables are well protected and insulated from the frame to avoid scratches. The fenders and baskets are easily removed, should you choose to do so (I did. It took about 12 minutes because you need to remove the rear tire to get at a screw for the rear fender). Adding a quick release hub to the rear tire (the front tire already has one) would be an inexpensive and highly useful tool, IMO.

I'm about average height and weight (5'7"@ 165lbs) and I can ride for hours without discomfort on the stock saddle. Shifting is easy and smooth and the system never skipped a gear, even when pedaling uphill and changing gears.

I recently compared this model to a few local bike shop products that cost $200+ more than the Schwinn. The overall workmanship/fit and finish of the Schwinn holds up well compared to the popular models I saw.

The bike is equipped with bike shop quality components, albeit not the high end, that will generally perform quite well.
After checking out several department store bikes from Walmart and Target, I'd definitely recommend staying away from the lesser quality bikes commonly sold in department stores. With few exceptions they tend to have cheaper, heavier frames and poor quality components and poor fit and finish in the assembly.

Comparing frames among several bikes (including this one) ranging in price from ~$300 to ~$900 yielded components of Chinese manufacture with finish of the welds, weight and general construction approximately equal.

I'm not suggesting the Schwinn Crrest is better than a well build bike shop bicycle like a mid-grade Giant, Trek or Santa Cruz, but the latter could set you back anywhere from $600 to $2000, easily.

I am suggesting that, this bike is comparable, for the average, casual road or paved trail rider, to much more expensive bikes I've looked at and ridden.

Happy trails.. or roads

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Bike for the Money, July 6, 2009
My wife and I decided to purchase bikes to expand our exercise options. Neither of us had ridden in decades, but our son is an avid cyclist and he suggested we look at Hybrids. After looking at several options, we decided to purchase both a Men's and Women's version of this bike and we couldn't be happier. They're relatively lightweight and the components all appear to be of fairly high quality for a bike priced in this range.

The limited assembly was easy, although I must say the 1st one took me longer than the 15 minutes referenced by the original reviewer. Almost everything is adjustable for comfort, and like the original reviewer, we too took off the fenders and like the result. It would have been nice if Schwinn had included a couple of allen wrenches, and maybe a pouch to carry them in, since that is the tool most often needed for assembly and adjustments.

We have been riding for a couple of weeks now and really like the way the bikes handle. I'm a big guy, well over 200lbs, yet the ride is smooth and comfortable. We are amazed at how those gears smooth out the hills. Most of our riding is on pavement, but we have ridden on some gravel/dirt roads, and the "Hybrid" tires performed well.

My wife and I agree that this is definitely a great bike for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eats tubes, July 10, 2010
Mountain Bob "MB" (Summit County, CO, US) - See all my reviews
I struggled with giving 2 or 3 stars. This is not a premium bike, but we just needed a casual around town ride. We wanted fenders and racks, but with enough gearing to make hills easy. The bike delivers on all of that, but there is a HORRIBLE mismatch of wheels and tubes. Everyone of our rides has ended with a flat, sometimes two. LBS mechanic confirms that the wheels/tires/tubes are mismatched. That, and the proper sized tube is difficult to find. Pacific Bikes, the actual manufacturer, is sending replacements. But if the design is the same, the problem will likely persist. Buy this bike only if you have room left in the budget to retrofit decent wheels in a standard size.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bike design...but perhaps wrong tube for the tires.., May 10, 2010
I've been using this bike daily for a month. Commuting about 6 miles every day to and from work.

The first time the bike came, the back tire went flat after < a mile. I didn't bother to patch it. I ordered a new one and returned the defective one to Amazon.

The second one lasted until last week when the front tire went flat. I decided to replace it. Googling for 700 x 38c tires conversion table, I found that I need a 27'' tube and I bought a Schwinn tube from Amazon. When I was replacing the tires, I realized the old tubes were actually 26'' tubes from comparison with the 27'' tube I bought. Hmm..I'm thinking that's why the original tubes don't last at all since they are an inch smaller.

The bike is of good design and the frame is well built. I love this bike. I'm giving it one star less cause of the tube mix up. These days, given that everything is designed in U.S but made in China, manufacturing slips like this is common. However that's no excuse for Schwinn. From all the cost savings they've gained in moving the manufacturing to China, they should at least hire someone to oversee the build quality, or at least do random sampling of the finished goods.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it's the best beginners bike for the cash!, October 2, 2011
MojaveCabal "mgs" (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
Here's the short and sweet. I spent nearly a year researching bikes - it was my first bike so I did not want to invest a couple grand nor did I want to spend something on the cheap that I would regret buying down the road. I didn't want a mountain bike but I didn't want a "racer" either. This hybrid fit the bill. It's rugged yet agile enough for the road. I wanted fenders - I don't like water water splashed up my back . . . - just a quirk - you can leave them off if you want. I researched the comments by people that bought this bike which was my prime reason for purchasing this bike. Read their comments and you won't go wrong or won't regret buying this bike.

If you are under 6 foot, this bike is built for you. Why? Look at the cross member angle and location on the bike compared to other bikes. It cants downward so that the seat sits lower on the bike frame - which also allows you to sit upright on the bike and now bent over to hold the handlebars as much if the cross member was higher. Somebody that is a pro-rider might offer a different opinion on this - but as a beginner - you are going to appreciate the comfort. If you are taller e.g. 6 foot and up, the bike seat will adjust to accommodate you guys also.

Two common themes ran through each of the comments 1) If you have never assembled a bike before - or if you are mechanically challenged, you will be CHALLENGED putting this bike together - but here is the deal. Go to the Schwinn web-site and search for bike assembly and you find a great video how to put the bike together. You can also google the make and model and you will find it there also. You will find it's really a no brainer - and sort of fun. From the box to complete assemble it took me a little more than 2 hours. When I was done, it was done right, I didn't have to pay somebody to do it for me, and I understood the bike better. 2) Here's the biggy - I live in the High Desert of Southern California - The Mojave Desert has a weed that grows pretty flowers but when they dry out they produce a nasty thorn called a goats head. During the summer and fall months they are every where - road, sidewalks, dirt paths - and true to form by several owners comments, YOU ARE GOING TO GET A FLAT within a WEEK. My local bike shop says the Chinese tires are cheap and the inner tubes are even cheaper. REMEDY - I put a liner in the tire and replaced the cheap tubes with inner tubes made with a heavier outer side. Problem solved - I haven't had a flat in several weeks. Maybe there is a better tire on Amazon - but I don't know enough about tires yet to know the difference. I am still learning about bikes.

I bought several add-ons - bags, lights, bell, cable and locks, and a helmet. I ride it every where I go in town; day and night - even a couple 20 mile rides on a couple week-ends. I look forward to riding it everyday and I get a lot of great comments on the bike. I like my bike - I think you will too. On a personal note. This bike was a personal birthday gift to myself - I will be 60 on the 7th of October. I got it a little early - maybe a month ago. The exercise is really fantastic - I lost probably 10 pounds and I have notices a real difference in my legs strength. Pretty amazing. . .

Hope this helps . . .

2.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to find replacement tubes; poor assembly, March 24, 2010
Be warned before you buy this bike. The first thing I noticed when I received this bike was a frayed cable. I'm not sure if this is related, but I had to do a lot of adjusting of this cable before I was able to shift the front 3 gears. Within my first hour of riding, my tire went flat. I bought a patch kit, and patch FOUR holes in the tube. I'm not sure why this happened; the front tube is still fine, and I rode on regular street terrain. After several more weeks of happy riding, I was pleased with my bike. I took it off road and it performed better than I expected. Then my rear tire went flat again, and this time the hole was at the base of the valve, so I was unable to repair it.

Here is the most frustrating part of this bike: The deep-dish wheels are designed to take a long-stem 700c Schrader valve. As far as I can tell, these simply do not exist. I have gone to bike stores and searched online. Apparently, there is no such thing as a long-stem Schrader valve. Why did they invent a new tube that cannot be purchased separately for this otherwise fine bicycle? I don't know, but I think it may have something to do with the bike's reasonable price.

As far as other aspects of the bike, I have been reasonably satisfied. But the poor assembly coupled with the nightmare I've had trying to repair and replace my tubes is why I gave this bike such a low rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, April 25, 2010
This is not a 'premium' bike you see in a bike shop which cost above $500. Nor is this one of those cheap heavy bikes you find in Walmart or Target. This is something in between. I use it daily to commute to work ( 3.5 miles round trip ). Also use it to do groceries on weekends. I have two paniers which fit perfectly on the bikes storage rack. All in all a good commuter bike. It requires limited assembly though it took me almost 6 hours to assemble it mainly because I spent a lot of time reading the manual. But this is because it is my first time assembling a bike. I am sure next time I can do it in 2 hours. Assembling the handle bar is confusing as shown in the manual. As suggested by another reviewer I actually looked at the amazon photo to figure it out. Another thing is I think this bike will be too big for you if you are shorter than 5 feet 6 inches. I am that height and this bike fits perfectly for me with the seat at the lowest position.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, June 12, 2012
I highly recommend that you do your research before making a purchase, as I did, because it certainly paid off. I couldn,t have made a better choice for my first bike in thirty- plus years. I am 60 years young and at 6'4" and 250 pounds, needless to say, I needed a strong, comfortable, easy to ride bike. I absolutely love this bike. It is the perfect cross between a mountain bike and a street bike. Well worth the price. Take the time to pack some grease in the front hub bearings and the bearings in the front fork where the handlebars connect, top & bottom. It comes a little too dry as far as I'm concerned when it comes to the bearing grease. This bike has a large comfortable seat, and it has shock absorbers built into the seat post and the front forks as well as large,(700cc), wide tires for extra comfort. It has chrome cranks and sturdy metal slip free pedals. The bike is made of a large gauge & strong aluminum frame with aluminum deep dish wheels. My bike shifts through the 27 speeds with perfect ease thanks to the handlebar grip shifters. It comes with beautiful strong chrome handlebars & stem assembly. It has some very quick stopping sturdy hand brakes that are well made and easy to adjust. This bike is a shiny dark gray color with nice strong, scratch resistant paint with a teal colored writing for the Shwinn Crest name. The bike comes almost completely assembled. If you are a man or a handy lady and can use alan wrenches, adjustable wrenches, or philips head screw drivers and have ever owned a bike before, suffice it to say that it's a piece of cake. HAPPY TRAILS to ya, PEACE!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good commute bike, October 15, 2009
I don't know very much about bikes. This one seems to be a good fit for me (the causal bike commuter) and it seems to be a good price compared to what I saw in bike stores. I really like that it comes with a chain guard, shocks, splash guards and the storage rack. I've been using it to commute to work 1-2 miles for the past month or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike, April 21, 2012
Great awesome bike, everything works well. It was somewhat frustrating to put together. Trust me READ THE ASSEMBLY instructions, do not attempt to do it without them! Have patience when assembling also! It all pays off with a very reliable and good quality bike! I would recommend this to anyone that is looking for a good hybrid bike that can carry some luggage. Also it has fenders so you can ride it through puddles/mud! I will keep this review updated as i continue to use this bike.

ARRAY(0x9979c39c)