on August 23, 2011
The number you are looking for is 35.2 to maybe 35.4 lbs for the weight of this bike, that is as close as my bathroom digital scale could get, and yes this bike does have the Aluminum frame. With it's black paint and "Schwinn" name on it, this is the ultimate sleeper bike, looking like one of those cheap Chinese made bikes that weigh much more with a steel frame, no one will guess this is actually a nice bike. So this is probably the only aluminum frame bike that doesn't have "steal me" written all over it, and is probably going to still be there when you come out of the store even with just a mid-grade bike lock on it. This is a great price for a low end Aluminum bike and it comes with just the right features.

The twenty one speeds are managed with a left hand twist handle grip with three speeds for the front derailer, and a right hand twist handle grip for the rear derailer with 7 speeds. The bike does have the quick release on the front wheel.

One point to be aware of, is this is a large bike, the seat is at the lowest setting, is 36 ¼ inches above the ground, I am 5-10 and I am barely tall enough to ride this bike. The shock absorbing seat post raises the seat by an inch, so the seat could be lowered a bit more by replacing the seat with a regular seat. But I like the shock absorbing seat post and front fork, I don't think the roads are going to be getting smoother in the future with the way things are heading in the world. This is also a great bike for hauling things, I recommend a pair of Basil Cardiff Rear Baskets that can hang on the back wheel rack. The fenders are another important feature, since although Schwinn doesn't recommend riding in the rain, (who does? But what are you going to do?) fenders on bikes were designed to keep the water spray off of the rider, otherwise merely riding on a wet surface will spray water up the front and back of the crouch of your paints. That is why I insist on fenders, just imagine walking into your local grocery store looking that way. The small chain guard seems to be large enough to keep my paints out of the chain. There are reflectors in each wheel and one on the back and one on the front. The bike of course doesn't come with a light or a bell. A good light is a must if you end up having to ride home in the dark, also not recommenced by Schwimn, and a horn or bell is a good idea if you ride where people walk so you can let them know that you are coming up behind them so they don't unknowingly step sideways in front of your bike at the last minute.

The bike arrived in a double thick box, the inner box was beat up with some holes while the other box was in fine shape. It appears that Amazon or Schwinn has the bikes shipped to them, and after a quick look over, are placed in a larger box and shipped to the customer. (Hint, Sears also carries the Discover bike)
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 29, 2011
I looked at numerous bikes in the price range of $170 to $300 and found that this one gave the best quality and componetry for the money. Some of the other bikes I compared were the Schwinn Lakeshore, Schwinn Gateway, and a couple different lesser known name brand bikes. I also visited a local bike shop to look at a Trek 700, this was a very nice bike but I had to draw the line on how much I spent somewhere and that eliminated this one. The Schwinn Discover was the closest thing I found to the quality and ride to the more expensive bikes like the Trek 700 I could find and Iwas able to pick it up at our local Meijer store for $229. The rims were true and look to be made real well. It shifts fast and sure and has a feel of being really well made and sturdy. The Schwinn Lakeshore felt cheap and cumbersome in comparison.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm not sure where to start. I'm a fat guy. I'm 6'1" and weigh around 250. I lived in Arkansas for the last 10+ years. I've always had Schwinns for as long as I can remember. When I was in college I had a Mongoose mountain bike, decked out with disc brakes, 21 speed, shocks, all the good stuff. I never really liked that bike much, though. For some reason it just didn't feel right and it sort of turned me off of cycling (along with drivers shouting obscenities and occasionally trying to run cyclists off the road). I gave it to my friend to get to and from work and he ended up getting hit by a car when trying to cross the road (he was mostly fine). That was pretty much the end of my cycling for the next 8 years. I had no bike and I was fully aware that my town was not a bike friendly community.

Fast forward to 2014 and I'm moving to Florida to get away from all the B.S. associated with living in the midsouth. I decide it's time to finally start riding again. After a bit of research, I narrowed it down to this bike and a very similar Schwinn that Sam's Club had that was a little bit cheaper. Well, the test ride I had on the Sam's Club wasn't great, presumably because it wasn't put together quite properly. There weren't any reviews on it, so I looked on Amazon, saw the reviews, and decided to go for it.

It was the right decision. This is seriously the best bike I've ever owned. The bike arrived half-assembled, which was probably a good thing since I was going to tinker with it anyway to get it just right.

A few notes for construction: Apparently mine got dinged up a bit during shipping, but nothing serious. The left support strut of the rear luggage rack was dented. I haven't used it for carrying anything so far, so I can't say whether it's going to hold up or not. The fenders also don't fit quite properly. Don't get me wrong, they do go on with no trouble, but you have to adjust them pretty carefully because it seems like they're either bent from shipping damage or simply curved. Either way, this is purely cosmetic. I've gone through many a puddle and never been sprayed from the tires. The brakes are a bit tricky, too. I like my brakes to have plenty of tension on them so it doesn't take a lot of pull on the levers to get stopping power. It took me literally 30 minutes to get the brakes just right. This is partly due to inexperience and partly due to difficulty with adjusting the mechanisms to get them just right. Seriously, though, make sure you are very comfortable with your brake settings. It's a major safety issue. Next, the stock tires lose air slowly (over the course of a week or so). I don't know if this is because of a flaw in the tires/mounting or if it's just an issue with tube tires. Just grab an air pump and you're good. Also, make sure to get a new seat. Let's face it, stock bicycle seats suck. They're always stupid stiff and make your crotch hurt or fall asleep. Just get something with cushion and you're good. My final complaint (that I could probably fix with zero effort) is that the handlebar stem has this little plastic gasket that creaks constantly whenever you turn the bars. This does not affect functionality at all, but can be extremely annoying.

Now for the good things. It's quiet. Very quiet. Besides the aforementioned creaking noise. It's been a while since I've been on a mountain bike, but the hybrid tires seem to be way quieter in comparison. The reduced tire width also gives you reduced friction from contact with the ground, which lets you move a little faster and use a little less effort. The shifters are flawless and I've never had any issues switching gears, which usually takes around one second. The seat stem has one of those shock absorbers on it, which, when combined with a seat with springs, gives you a very smooth ride.

I waited a few months before writing this review so I could really get a feel for the bike and look for the issues that others talked about. I have encountered none of them so far. I've put probably 300 miles on this bike since I got it and have used it exclusively on roads and sidewalks both in wet and dry conditions.

If you're on the fence, get this bike. You won't regret it. Even if there are problems, it comes with a lifetime warranty. This bike has been the catalyst for major changes in my lifestyle for the better. I am healthier than I've ever been and have zero desire to use the stationary bike in the gym, air conditioning be damned! Get out there and ride!
on April 7, 2011
When I removed the bicycle from the carton I found it to be in good condition and with all of its parts. While the assembly directions were fuzzy in a couple of areas, I still found it fairly easy to put together. I did have to adjust the brakes along with the rear derailleur, but from what I have read and heard this is a normal adjustment for a new bike. I also had to tweek the rear fender to keep it from rubbing on the tire, but not a major job.

This being my first bicycle in several decades I don't really have anything to compare it to, especially a 21 speed bicycle. But it is what I expected, looks good and everything seems to work properly. I do plan to have an experienced bicyclist ride it in the near future just to ensure that everything is as it should be.

Due to our spring weather I haven't ridden it as much as I would have liked to, but I did manage to put 8 miles on it. So far I am very satisfied with my purchase and am looking forward to my first trail ride.

February 2013 - Well, it's now almost 2 years and 2,000 miles later and I'm happy to say that I'm very pleased with this bicycle. It still rides like new, and aside from one flat it has not let me down once. All I have done to it is the required maintenance. Weather permitting I now ride it 11 miles daily, with my longest ride being a 50 mile charity ride. For me it was money well spent.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Yes, I like the bike. Easy to setup. comes in a giant box. Put on front wheel, handle bar, seat and fender and you're good to go. Well, after spending some time adjusting your handle bar, seat, brakes, gears etc. Book explains how.

I'm 5'8" and the seat is all the way down. Also, the handle bars are all the way up. I still feel a bit to short for this bike tough this size was recommended for my height. Shifts pretty smooth. Rides nice and turns well. Look really nice (Pick is before I added front fender and some accessories.
review image
on August 27, 2012
My girlfriend and I recently moved to a new location that is more bike friendly than our last place of residence. We were fortunate enough to have two of my students purchase Schwinn Discover bikes as housewarming gifts in April. I had done the leg work and found what I considered to be the best price/value combo on the market.

I simply love the bike. I really like the ride - very smooth. The gears shift really nicely and tweak well. And the brakes are great!

So far with the two bikes - 1 man's and 1 woman's - I have assembled both of them, fixed one flat tire, replaced my pedals once (and will do so again soon probably), and trued my wheels. I have ridden extensively in the past - mostly commuting - and have experience keeping a bike up and running. A Nishiki about 30-35 years ago and a FreeSpirit 10-20 years ago.

First, regarding the pedals - I weigh over 220 pounds and seem to be having trouble with resin pedals. The bearings seem to give out. I just got new metal pedals (Diamondback Sound Alloy) and will replace the pedals again if I can't lube and adjust the resin pedals I have on there now. But that's me, I tend to ride a bit hard - up to 20 mph with my phone app :-) - and bear down.

Another reviewer mentioned wheels being out of true. Well, yes, it's a bicylce! Bicyles go over bumps and stress the spokes unevenly so they can and do go out of adjustment. At least that is my experience. I still have tools left over from my last bike (10 years ago) and trued the wheels with no problem. I think bike shops will do this for a nominal fee. After they have been trued a few times I think they are more stable.

Anyway, I love the bike. It rides well. It has all the features I was looking for initially (upright handle bars, padded grips, perfect width tires, padded seat, fenders, and a rear carrier), plus a few extras that I really appreciate (front end suspension, seat post suspension, great brakes). A similarly outfitted bike would be $400-500.

A couple caveats. It will require a bit of maintenance. If you're not as heavy as I, probably not so much. But this type of bike requires routine maintenance, including regularly filling the tires with air and truing the wheels so the brakes can be well adjusted. If you ride hard or are heavy, the pedals may need replacing.

Plus, on the woman's bike, dismounting can be a problem. Women's bikes now come with a slightly higher, more stable crossbar. My girlfriend was complaining about the bike until I noticed that she needed to dismount as though on a man's bike and not through the space in front of the seat. It makes a big difference.

Why not lower the rating for the pedal replacement and the maintenance tasks that I have had to perform? I believe that I would have had to do these tasks anyway for most bikes in this price range. Also, since I can do the maintenance and have it work, I feel that this works in favor of my rating of the bike. The bike is a quality bike and by no means a throwaway.

Thanks for reading. :-)

RDB

Update - 4/4/2014

Finally solved the crank problem. It was happening again after being fixed in the shop. All it was was the left side cup needed tightening. I think I read something about that in another review. The lockring seems to have gotten a trifle loose and ended up with a scooch of play on the left side of the bottom bracket. I didn't realize it until I got a cone wrench and was able to check the tightness.

Anyway, I ordered new bearings and replaced the bearings on the bottom bracket. I used 9 1/4" bearing in a retainer. Really nice smooth ride, but I noticed that the bearings were only a grade 300. I have loose grade 25 1/4" bearings that I will eventually use, once I get my bike repair skill set amped up a bit. I just read tonight that there should be 11 loose bearings as opposed to 9 in a retainer.

I love the bike. My girlfriend and I ride our bikes around the neighborhood for exercise and errands. We get compliments from people regarding how nice the bikes look.
on November 4, 2010
I was looking for a comfortable bike to use for rides on the street with grand-kids, or running errands locally. This is it! The shocks on the front forks and seat make for a smoother ride. The size of the seat fits my grandpa behind better; and, since I'm 6' 4", the 700C (aka ~29") wheels help there too! Only issue is that the rear fender and luggage rack connections occupy space on the rear hub that contends with the trailer hitch (Schwinn/In-Step). So, I made my own out of andle iron and PVC cap. Has survived two neighborhood trips without noticeable ill effects--if it survives four more, I think I'll make a video "How-To" and send it in.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 5, 2012
I have not rode a bicycle in about 15 years and wanted to start riding again. I wanted to run some errands and lose some weight and be as comfortable as possible while doing it. I was a little reluctant to purchase a bike online. I did find this same bike locally and tried to purchase it there but without going into details it turned into a hassle so I went ahead and ordered through Amazon. Bike arrived a day sooner than expected. It was doubled boxed. When I unboxed it there was a scuff on the rear carrier, probably from the manufacturer, I chatted with Amazon and they made it right, talk about outstanding customer service!! The bike itself is great, like I said in the beginning, I am a big guy and with a few modifications it is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. I put a wider seat on it, changed out the pedals, the ones that came with it are a little on the small size and put a delta alloy stem extender on it to raise the handle bars a couple of inches. The bike looks great and rides well. I did have to get the front wheel trued at my local bike shop, but that is fairly standard on a new bike. The rear tire was fine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another bike through Amazon. I am really happy with my Schwinn, the first bike I ever had was a Schwinn that I paid 5 bucks for, I have had many bikes since then but this is bike is by far my favorite since that original Schwinn. In closing I tried a couple of high dollar bikes at the local bike shop and after riding this one, I didn't feel much of a difference between them!!
on April 16, 2013
I received this bike as a birthday gift and couldn't be happier. It arrived boxed and about 80% assembled, but the rest was pretty straight forward for someone even remotely mechanically inclined. Seeing the box on the porch, I expected to lug a monster into the house and pull a couple of muscles here and there, but it's far lighter than expected for being so big and having a rack already in place, along with fenders. The fenders are, indeed, plastic, which lends to a lower overall weight and fewer parts to rust or polish. Shifting, once adjusted, is quite smooth and quiet, but adjusting the derailers on any bike can lead to a loss of hair, but don't be put off by that - any bike shop will make all the adjustments you need. They'll also help you to adjust to the seat and handlebar properly and will show the novice how to take care of issues that invariably pop up... such as a flat tire.
The brakes are strong enough bring the bike to a full stop relatively quickly, even when flying down a steep hill like a bat out of hell. The 21 speeds make riding in hilly country amazingly easy, or at least amazingly easier than the old 10 speeds or cruisers, as you have many gears to shift through on your ascent uphill (tons of lower gears to choose from), and riding on flat land is a breeze to maintain a good riding speed no matter your ability or what kind of shape you're in because you have tons of higher gears to fit your needs.
It took me about 30 minutes to put the bike together and another 15, or so, to adjust the seat and handlebar to suit my height and riding style. Other adjustments, like the shifter and derailers, have taken a couple of days to fine tune, but the rides have been a blast and a half and smooth as can be with the suspension fork and seat post to absorb most of the smaller bumps. Keep in mind the peddles are marked for the left and right sides, so don't strip them trying to screw them into the wrong side - pay attention to the manual when assembling your bike and it will last years and years. This bike is quality and I would recommend it to anyone tall enough to handle it - I'm 6' 1".
And, by the way, I did my research on hybrids and looked at the more expensive brands with the fancier components and slightly lighter frames, but found the complaints to be much the same compared to this bike = inexperience and expectations of a perfect world where nothing breaks and nothing needs maintenance. I'm training to make the 334 mile trip along the Allegheny Trail from Pittsburgh to DC, and this is the bike I will use.

Updated 4/24/13: The stock tires aren't the best for use on gravel or on trails, but they haven't failed, yet. I did, however, decide to upgrade to Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tires, as they are nearly impossible to flat, and also have a superior tread pattern for virtually everything you'd use this bike for. They are the perfect match, in my opinion, for a hybrid bike that will see mostly paved road or bike paths with the occasional off road stint. The new tire are slightly wider and just a hair taller than the 38s that come standard on this bike, so the fenders will have to be repositioned, but that's an easy task as long as there's room... just a bit time consuming as you have to remove the rear wheel.
I will update this review again at the 500 mile mark.
Update: Hundreds of miles later and there are still no issues with the bike. I've ridden through driving rain, clear sunny days, and a little off-road. The bike has not disappointed. I've kept the chain relatively clean and oiled and the bike stays in the shed out of the rain when I'm not riding it. I have noticed the hex bolts are not stainless steel, as they are beginning to rust. They'll be replaced when I remember to purchase replacements.
I highly recommend this bicycle.
on June 6, 2014
This is a great bicycle, I've ridden it approximately 100 miles already in just a couple of days however it arrived damaged towards the bottom of the front fork. The damage is a large chunk of the paint/coat missing and the underlying gray metal visible. Amazon sent a replacement with 2 day shipping, but the replacement is damaged at the exact same spot, except the damage is even larger on it! I didn't even remove the rest of the packaging on the replacement and sent it back. Amazon offered to receive both the original and the replacement bikes for a full refund or to let me keep one of the two bikes and receive a 15% refund for the damage. I chose to keep the original bike because it's slightly less damaged. I uploaded pictures of the damage on the product page.