4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Multi-purpose jogging stroller

Pros:
Lightweight construction.
Smooth rolling.

Cons:
Lack of cushion: as other comments pointed out, baby actually sits on folded bars without any cusioning at all;
Tendency to tilt in the jogging mode: its design renders the larger frong wheel to tilt the trailer upward and back, causing safety hazard...
Published on August 16, 2007 by Kickms

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Multi-purpose jogging stroller, February 22, 2007
Well designed light aluminum unit. Both sides are rigid and fold up from flat. A cross bar is attached to the back soft panel which attaches at the top to complete the frame. The cover has to be snapped on and off each time to use it. Side windows are rigid. The jogging handle and wheels are then added without requiring any tools. It takes about two minutes to assemble.

The bike attach bar and front wheel attach bar fold under and easily swing out for either use. Once assembled, it rolls great, even on the beach(same results when tested with a 6 and 4 year old). Turning is a breeze since the kids are sitting on the rear axle and and have a low center of gravity. Storage will hold two backpacks, and is covered. Unit will keep kids and gear completely dry in rainy environments. The only issue we have is that the back of the seats is a panel running from the axle to the top cross brack and does not recline when the kid falls asleep. Finally it fits fine in the back of my Venture minivan (so long as I clean out all the books, coats, juice boxes, toys, and general accumulation of my wife's adventures with the kids. but that is getting off topic).

I would buy it again.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, August 16, 2007
Pros:
Lightweight construction.
Smooth rolling.

Cons:
Too wide to pass through doorways.
Product arrived with missing components.
Handle comes as a separate part not integrated to the trailer; it needs to be carried separately and has to be installed/removed every time you fold the trailer for storing in car trunk.
Mediocre safety belt design: difficult and uncomfortable to use; they do not have the convenience, comfort and safety provided by the types commonly found in regular strollers and car seats.

Overall:
Schwinn/In step intends to market Mark III as a higher-end product their product lines. However, it's quality and design do not justify its price and do not meet expectations. Would not recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but still needs a lot of work, August 7, 2007
We purchased the Schwill Mark III bike trailer for our 2 year old son. We used it several times and then returned it. Here are the things we did not like:

1. The bottom of the canvas seat actually sits on the metal frame below so my son's [...] was bouncing on the aluminum bars under the seat. We ended up putting a pad under the seat to act as a cushion.

2. the "sling style seat" was not a great design. My son kept sliding forward in the seat and the only thing that kept him from sliding off the front was the strap between his legs. I don't know about you, but I don't think that would be too comfortable.

3. There was no relief or recessed area above the seat back to accomodate a child's helmet. The back of the seat kept pushing my son's helmet forward so that it came down over his eyes. He would cry and we would have to stop and fix the helmet about every 10-15 minutes.

4. There is no reclining option for the seat back. When your kid falls asleep, their heads will slump forward or to the side.

The features we did like, but that weren't enough to justify keeping it:

1. The bike trailer and jogging trailer combo at an affordable price.

2. The bike attachment arm and jogging stroller arms fold away underneath the trailer when not in use (but that is what the kid ends up sitting on).

Before we returned this we purchased a Chariot Cougar 2 trailer and tried them both out with our son. He said he liked the Chariot better because the other one was "too bouncy". We love the Chariot, but be forwarned it is very expensive. We spent $[...] for the trailer, bike attachment and stoller wheels. But this has everything we wanted in a trailer except for the reclining seats. This is also the only trailer we could find that has a shock absorbsion system so that the child gets a smoother ride.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad,,,,,but not great either, December 11, 2008
First let me say I use this bike/jogging stroller quite a bit. I live in Florida and enjoy being outside and my son loves being outdoors as well. The Pros:
-Reasonable price compared to comprable products.
-Can be used as jogging OR bike stroller (see cons)
-Sturdy and breaks down reasonably well. (see cons)
-Can hold two kids (see cons)
The Cons:
-This is not for the avid runner. There are much more appropriate choices if running is extremely important to you. This is because the tire in the front doesn't track straight all the time without fine tuning (this is done every time you set the stroller up.
-Can hold two kids. This is great but can make the product cumbersome.
-Not completely solid. While the stroller is well built and is solid, by nature, the components that break down (front tire arm) have some play that can be annoying when running. Again if you want a running stroller then get a running stroller. This stroller works for me because it can be used for both running and biking and the fact that it can break down is a big bonus.
-Can be difficult to hook up to bike.
-Running handlebar a pain to attach and disconnect. (come on Schwynn engineers, you could have came up with a much better system)

Overall I would reccomend this despite my laundry list of cons. Its great if you want it for biking but want to jog with it as well but does have its shortcomings.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Buy!, May 9, 2007
I have been wanting one of these for a long time and was finally able to purchase it. It is wonderful. I only have one child at this time and he loves it. It is so easy to manouever. Easy to make turns, I can jog behind it and roller blade behind it w/ ease - it is so light wieght. My son loves the windows and all of the room it offers. It converts super easy to a bike trailer too. The front covering allows either a mesh screen, or a plastic cover to protect from hard winds or if it were to start to rain. My son likes to have both of them up so he can look around w/ the fresh air on his face. If looking at a bike stroller I would highly recommend this one. Schwinn is a great company and if you are looking for something that moves easily, I recommend getting one w/ the larger stable wheel out in front. I cannot say enough great things about it. I love it and so does my family!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very uncomfortable for the kids, August 7, 2007
There is little back support for the kids; they are essentially sitting in a sling/hammock that folds them in half. It is positioned so they are sitting very upright so when they fall asleep their heads crook way over - makes me worried about their airway (I am a physician). The other downside is that it doesn't roll straight when used as a jogging stroller, and when used as a trailer it says it is not safe to use over 10MPH. Ahem... That is barely a roll, and they made no mention of this when I was purchasing it. I hope I can sell it on Criags list

4.0 out of 5 stars Rides like a dream, January 14, 2008
We love this bike trailer. It is so lightweight and rolls really easily. I hardly notice when it is on my bike... except on steep uphill climbs. Then, I can feel a little more resistance... but, not much! Like the other reviews said... the seat is a bit awkward. I made seat cushions for our 15-month old so that the back of the seat wouldn't push his helmet forward. That has worked really well, but now we're trying to figure out how to position him (or what kind of cushion to add) so that he doesn't flop over whenever he falls asleep. (It looks like he's folded in half at times.) Other than the seat issue, we really love the trailer. It's such a great buy for the money... we didn't want to spend $500 for a Burley, but we wanted something that had the large stroller wheel in front.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!!!, June 18, 2008
This bike trailer is not only well priced, but very well designed. The front tire locks in and doesn't turn which is much safer if you are running or moving quickly. When jogging you don't want a front tire that turns as the child can easily be flipped out. There's plenty of room for blankets or pillows if your child is a bit small. This was very easy to put together, took me 5 minutes. The front wheel slips on easily in seconds. This is absolutely a wonderful bike trailer and stroller for the money. Everything was perfect right out of the box, Schwinn did a wonderful job in engineering this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value!, April 26, 2010
This review is from: Schwinn Mark III Double Bike Trailer and Jogging Stroller (Sports)
We recently picked up the Mark III bike trailer and jogging stroller. We wanted a trailer so we could go riding as a family, and the fact that this converts between stroller and jogger without a special kit was an added bonus. The conversion is super simple: just flip out a different arm and snap in a quick-release wheel. Converts in just a couple minutes! Works great both ways. As a recreational triathlete, this is great as I can train two sports even while on parenting duty.

The unit is light, rolls well (even with 60+lb of kids in it), and has really exceeded my expectations to date. The interior is a little rough and tumble for the little ones, but neither kid has complained, and the sling seat holds them up off the bars perfectly well. There's plenty of room inside too, for a couple toys, extra water bottle, juice boxes for the little ones, and anything else you might want to stash.

I was especially pleased that I could get all the base features I was looking for (shocks would have been nice, but honestly, do we need those?) for under $300. I had some friends who recommended other great units, but all of them were well beyond my price point. This thing is definetely worth it. A great value!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for cargo, June 10, 2008
FordMandalay "FordMandalay" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Here's a review from someone that DOESN'T have anything to do with carrying kids; in today's $4.00 per gallon gas, I decided I needed a human-powered cargo unit to bring to the grocery store, the mall or wherever else in order to bring stuff home without making yet another car trip. This trailer is an almost-perfect solution! The construction is VERY sturdy, it has massive carrying capacity (6 full grocery bags and handles the weight easily), aluminum frame makes it lightweight, AND best of all the 16" front wheel which makes rolling it for distance a breeze - that wheel is definitely this unit's selling point as opposed to the 'shopping cart' front wheels you see on others. The only slight drawbacks are the somewhat difficult setup to hook it up to a bike, and I'd like it to have a solid bottom instead of nylon to make it sturdier for cargo. But it WAS designed to haul kids, and putting a bottom on was a pretty easy thing for me to do, so no big deal. All in all, the price for a unit like this makes it a great deal (I do have to mention I bought it a couple of weeks ago when the price was $45 cheaper! Lucky me!) so if you're looking for a cargo trailer like me, I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›