5.0 out of 5 stars So far, quite good
I'll have to come back after a while using this and add info, but after about a month, I am very pleased.

Now, I was one of those folks who, back in the late 90s, was really into spinning. This bike is pretty much what I remember of the original spinning bikes.

Published on June 5, 2012 by B. Kibbey

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Control
I ordered one of these Schwinn IC2's for my wife who loves spin classes. I didn't expect the quality you find with professional models but after returning two units I've given up on Schwinn.

Published on July 4, 2012 by Jason

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, quite good, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike (Sports)

Construction: seems pretty solid so far. Looking at the parts, the connections and so forth, I don't see anything I expect to become a major problem in the long-term.

Computer: Useless and annoying (it cycles through the functions and you can't pause it), but completely unnecessary. This is a spinning bike. All you need to really know is time. Get on there, push yourself, adjust the tension as needed, and watch a half-hour TV show, which leads to...

Noise: This seems, from what I've read, to be a big issue for other people with other bikes. At this point, it's not for me. This is no more noisy than a normal, well-maintained bicycle is out on the road. It will not overpower music or television or anything else anymore than a $3,000 piece of equipment you find at the gym will.

User-friendliness: Can you perform basic maintenance on a bike? Then you can handle this. However, it is not light. I'd get this for my Mom only if I thought she'd never have to move it. It's "portable" in that it has wheels, but tipping it back onto the wheels and moving it is not that simple given the placement of the fulcrum.

Assembly: Just like a real bike, essentially. So, for those who have never put together a regular bike, when you attach the peddles, one goes on clockwise and the other counter-clockwise. The seat is a little more annoying to mount than a normal seat, but not much of an issue if you've ever replaced a bike seat.

Comfort: Unless you have the rear-end of a touring cyclist, get yourself a new seat. That said, properly adjusting this is half the battle. Adjust it just like you would a real bike. Stand straddling the bike with the seat behind you and it should, at the highest, hit you in the lower small of your back. The seat should be angled just ever so slightly forward. The bar beneath the seat and the handlebar should be adjusted so that you can reach the handlebars without straining. After you have made all adjustments, make sure you tighten down the knobs as much as you physically can.

This is not an "exercise bike," and that's a good thing. Exercise bikes suck. This type of equipment is as close as you will come to the experience of riding an actual bike but indoors. If I could get this or a $1,000 exercise bike, I'd get this.

Here's the bottom line for me: This type of equipment was created to enable serious competitive cyclists to train indoor in the winter. Schwinn made the first bikes of this type. You will simply not find any other piece of exercise equipment in this price range that matches up. The equipment is pretty basic. It's a flywheel that keeps forward momentum going and thus simulates riding a real bike with a fixed gear -- even just "spinning out" with no resistance on you'll get a workout. The resistance is a pad that touches the flywheel and that you adjust by turning a knob (only in VERY small increments). If the pad wears with time, you just turn more. This is to other exercise equipment what dumbbells are to weight machines. To build other kinds of equipment in this price range means using cheap, easily-broken substitutes for overly-complicated and high-tech mechanisms. This bike has a chain, a wheel and some peddles.

A final note: My wife discovered that her iPad fits perfectly between the mettle piece that sticks up for attaching the useless "computer" and the handlebars (with a piece of cloth on the mettle piece to protect the iPad obviously).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, January 14, 2012
This review is from: Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike (Sports)
My husband and I are quite pleased with this bike, its very sturdy and we had no shipping issues. We've had it for two weeks now. As another reviewer noted its quiet and smooth. I can ride it comfortable, but so can my husband which is great because he is 6'4" and fits on this bike very comfortably(not true of all bikes!). It took 2 of us 15 minutes from bringing it in the house to riding it(including clean up of the shipping box). My Dad also bought one and put it together himself and said it took 30 minutes and he felt it was easy. One thing I love about the bike is there are no places where my 2 year old can stick his fingers into and become injured when I ride it! You do have to change the resistance manually which I could see bothering some people, but it doesn't bother me. Its not difficult to do and you don't have to get off the bike to do it, although you do need to slow down a bit. You have to recognize that you get what you pay for, this bike is significantly cheaper than other bikes and does not have the perks of them. The console is nice, but not fancy(again you get what you pay for here), it cycles through time, distance, RPM, speed and calorie feedback. It changes through them about every 10 seconds. Its easy to move around and adjust the seat or handle bars. I do recommend a gel seat cover for the bike seat as its not cushioned.

In short we are really happy with this bike, its great quality for the money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Control, July 4, 2012
This review is from: Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike (Sports)

The box arrived intact but upon opening it became evident that the foam packing was not up to the task. Most of it was crushed and there were scratches and dents in the bike. I assembled the bike anyway and instantly noticed a grinding noise. I checked the chain tension and found it was too loose. I removed the chain guard and tightened the chain but the grinding persisted. I called Schwinn customer service and they guided me through checking the chain tension to ensure it allowed about 3/8" deflection. Everything was good but the problem remained. Next they had me completely loosen both adjustment bolts and tighten one turn at a time. (I achieve the proper tension when there was about 1.9 cm between the opening and the bracket the bolt head pressed against.) This still didn't fix the problem. At this point I noticed that the chain was wobbling horizontally as it spun, indicating a wheel misalignment or warped gear. I informed the customer service rep and she decided to send a professional to fix the bike.

This is when the real problem started. Under Schwinn's warranty labor is covered for 90 days but unless you live in a major metropolitan area you have to pay for the technician's house call. I wasn't going to pay to fix a brand new bike so I opted to return the bike instead. Amazon was very helpful and a replacement bike was at my house two days later.

Unfortunately it had the same problem. When I removed the chain guard I could see that the rear gear was visibly warped. The packing foam was damaged with this unit as well but there wasn't any damage to the chain guard, just cosmetic issues. I think the problem is Schwinn's poor quality control.

4.0 out of 5 stars not too fancy, with good features, but the seat.., January 26, 2012
This review is from: Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I chose this bike because I've lost a lot of weight and wanted to add some simple exercise to my life to help keep it off. I'd heard that Schwinn was a good brand, and this bike didn't seem too fancy. First, prospective buyers should note that this bike has a 250 pound maximum weight limit.

PROS:
1. Comes with an electronic monitor, which takes 2 AA batteries (not included, of course), that tracks calories burned, distance, MPH, RPM and time spent cycling. It was simple to use: put in the batteries, plug it into the cord attached to the bike and start going. It comes on automatically when the bike is in use.

2. Straightforward assembly. I'm usually not the best at assembling things, but I was able to put this together by myself with no problems, in about 30 minutes. Plus, it had all the necessary tools included.

3. Resistance/tension setting for easier or more challenging pedaling, which can be adjusted while riding.

4. Heavy, solidly built frame and wheel. The bike feels completely stable.

5. Very quiet - can easily hear a tv or music device over the sound.

6. Cup holder included.

CONS:
1. The seat is EXTREMELY uncomfortable. The tiny wedge feels like it has no padding at all. I am already looking for a gel-padded cover. Considering the cost of the bike, this was a big disappointment. I deducted one star just for this.

2. Though I didn't deduct any stars for it, as a girly girl, I wish the frame were black instead of gray, so it's not quite such an eyesore in my living room.

Unlike other reviewers, I had no issue with the packaging or delivery. The bike arrived in perfect condition, and the box was easy to open. Please see my pictures of the actual bike I received. Overall, I am satisfied with the bike but I am not certain it is worth the $400 price tag (Amazon's discounted price as of this writing). There are many other bikes in this price range, with solid reviews. Since I only wanted this to help lose weight, it is probably more than I need for the price, and would have earned 3 stars. However, I gave it four because those that are more serious about exercising/training may be better satisfied and I honestly cannot compare it to other models that I haven't tried.

UPDATE: I purchased a gel padded seat cover, Imitation Sheepskin Padded Bicycle Seat Cover, that was under $10 and Prime. It has helped.

2nd UPDATE: The padded cover was just not sufficient in the long run (though it may be for others). After a week, I hurt enough that I stopped using the bike altogether. I ended up buying a new seat, at a cost of $60, at a local bike shop. I was uncertain about buying online since not all seats have the same method of attaching. The new seat is wonderful, and I have been using the bike regularly. Still, it's very disappointing to have to buy a new seat for a bike that retails at $600.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time! No really: Don't waste your time & don't let the price fool you!, December 22, 2013
This review is from: Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike (Sports)
Before buying I read through most other reviews and thought about not buying it. A lot of people claimed scratches and other damages, but I still thought I'd buy since I usually had a good experience with Amazon and don't believe much these reviews.

What a mistake that was!

The product came not only with chipped paint like with so many others, but it was obvious that the stabilizer of the product was bent, so there was no way for me to get this product to repair or work at all (faulty piece is made of 1/2 inch metal, which you cannot bend back unless you have heavy tools plus it most likely would break). This product obviously has a construction error and Schwinn, a brand who lives of their reputation in the 80ties, keeps selling this low-quality product through mass retailers hoping to make a quick buck of people being too lazy to send it back. Otherwise I cannot explain how they keep selling this product knowing that ~10% of the people on Amazon complained b/c of a faulty stabilizer.

Long story short: I ended up wasting hours getting this product ready to ship back. Then had to clean my place and carry it back down a 4-flight walkup.
I for sure will stay away from all their products in the future. When looking for a bike at Amazon, Target or Walmart make sure to do the same avoid this manufacturer and rather invest in a quality product build by a responsible company!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bike but poor packaging., January 10, 2012
This review is from: Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike (Sports)
I just got this bike last week and after a few hours of riding it I must say it is well made. The ride is smooth, not too noisy and the all construction seems very solid.

The packaging, however, is done poorly--the hand bar of the bike scratched the main frame.

I actually returned the first bike I got, but the second one had the same issue. Yet, after calling Amazon I received a nice discount (they refund my credit card) so altogether I'm happy with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent quality and packaging, incorrect description, great features, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike (Sports)
This is a ~$300 spin bike with a great feature set for a bike twice the price. General build quaility is pretty good, felt solid and seemed to have better fit and finish than most other spin bikes in the sub-$600 range. However, pedaling performance seems to vary based on reviews. There are some adjustments that can be made which may help with that, which I note later in my review. At only about $300, as with any spin bike, don't be surpised that the seat isn't the best and you need to replace it, or that you need to make a few adjustments to tune it up.

I purchased this bike from Amazon in August 2012 and it arrived with the box in excellent condition. However, the bike frame was still scratched in a few places due to the poor packaging.

I set it up anyways but immediately noticed two major issues: the bike sounded and felt like a meat grinder when pedaling, and that the flywheel seemed lighter than the 40 lbs as described by Amazon. I called Amazon for a return (could not do it online for this product) and mentioned the flywheel weight issue and rough pedaling. The person I spoke with said they were aware of the description issue and set up my return so that Amazon covered the return shipping costs. Excellent Amazon service!

However, it is five months later and I still see the flywheel listed at 40 lbs. The Schwinn website lists the flywheel at 31 lbs. I would think it would be updated on Amazon. The lower weight flywheel will give a different feel than one which is 40+ lbs., but some people may prefer the lighter weight. I personally didn't. Schwinn makes some high end spin bikes in their AC models and the IC Pro with heavier flywheels and commercial grade build, but those are over $1,000. At one-third the price, the IC2 has at least one-third of the quality those have.

The IC2 actually would be a great bike for the price, even with the lighter flywheel, if not for the rough pedaling I had experienced. There will be some noise with this bike since it has a chain rather than a belt, but it shouldn't be much different than an ordinary outdoor bike. The noise on my IC2 may have been due to the chain being too tight. I didn't know this until after I purchased a Schwinn AC Sport and the instructions indicated that a chain which is too tight could cause the grinding noise. Those +$1,000 spin bikes with chains need to be adjusted out of the box too it turns out. You simply have to adjust the chain tension to resolve. If I had realized this then, I might still own the IC2 (though I am very impressed with the AC Sport, but a few hundred dollars poorer).

One feature that the IC2 has which is impressive is the computer. Granted, it is very basic, but computers of any type are pretty much unheard of on spin bikes until you get closer to $1,000, and then are often a $100+ upgrade. Given the IC2 costs about $300, that is a great feature, and beneficial if you are trying to do any sort of spin training that uses RPM goals. This was a big reason why I initially purchased the IC2 in the first place.

I see some people complaining about the hard seat. Just replace it. Even on my $1,000+ Schwinn AC Sport the stock seat (which retails for only about $15) was not too good and I replaced it. Since seats are a personal preference, I think most all spin bikes come with just a basic seat as the manufacturers expect the buyer to replace it anyways. Same with pedals.

Schwinn brake pads need to be soaked in silicone, even for the $1,000 IC Pro. Spend a few bucks and buy some silicone spray at the home improvement store. The IC Pro does not include any silicone in the package either.

This bike is marketed by Schwinn Fitness which has an actual website and provides support. Also, replacement parts are available from that site through one of Schwinn's partners. Things such as brake pads will eventually need replacing. Most spin bikes offer none of this support.

The chain drive is also a plus, despite not being a smooth or quiet as a belt. You maintain it like an ordinary bicycle chain, just lubricate it every so often, and maybe adjust the tension occasionally. Belts eventually stretch and begin slipping, becoming more frustrating than a chain.

I may have just received a bad IC2 as some reviewers seem to really like it out right of the box. Otherwise, if this bike works well enough for you, this is a great feature set for $300.

---Update 2/12/13--------------------------------------

I see that Amazon has updated the product description to show a 31 lb. flywheel. That is good to see. Most spin bikes have flywheels in the 38-44 lb. range, so this is a departure from the norm. But at the current $329 price, the build quality, features including a computer, and chain drive, availability of manufacturer support and replacement parts, this is probably the best value spin bike in this price range. I've also upgraded the star rating from 3 to 4 due to the actual features and quality rather than my initial disappointment based on an incorrect description.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product delivered defectve in its frame member. Not fixable . Difficult to repack and send it back. Don't buy it., August 11, 2013
Norris Lozano (Malibu California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike (Sports)
I buy many products through Amazon Prime. Never any issues until this Spin Bike. The product was delivered defective in is frame member. Bad metal work which did not allow for assembly. Apparently non-existent quality control with this manufacturer as the defect is visually obvious . Not fixable . Difficult to repack and send it back. Don't buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bike, May 18, 2012
This review is from: Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike (Sports)
I just purchased this bike from Amazon and it is what you would expect from Schwinn. My packaging was fine. I had no issues with it and I did not have any blemishes on the bike at all, it looked great. It was very easy to put together, about 30 mins. Everything went together with no issues. After making final riding adjustments it was really smooth and did not make much noise at all, pretty quite. It is built well and is very sturdy. Seat is not as bad as i thought it would be from reading other reviews but after a while you do feel it a bit. A gel seat would be better. The delivery was made on time. Overall I am please with the bike and recommend it to anyone looking to purchase a spin bike for your home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, Useful, Glad to have it., January 27, 2012
This review is from: Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Excited to have this, but slightly disappointed in this one. Still cool though.

Ease of Build: This took my husband about an hour and a half to put together. This is a lot considering he is a mechanic and handyman. It did take him longer though because it came very damaged in shipping. He basically had to repair several pieces.

Ease of Use and stability: After it was put together it's very easy to use and pretty sturdy. The electronic part is a little simple and seems like it should be more high tech for the money.

Bottom line is it's good, works ok and will be useful, but not over the top impressive.

Schwinn IC2 Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike
$599.00 $417.99
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.
Rate and Discover Movies