4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Value!
Published on January 15, 2007 by G. Morgan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starter bike but has some issues
Published on August 15, 2009 by S. Cheek

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Value!, January 15, 2007
G. Morgan (Montgomery AL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Katana Road Bike (Sports)
I got this bicycle for Christmas and was extremely delighted with it. I have been riding bicycles regularly since college (I attended an urban college where everyone rode bikes and few had cars) and put several thousand miles on my last Schwinn. I've owned many bikes and had many of them stolen while secured, so I don't care to throw away nearly a thousand dollars (or several thousand) on a bicycle. I don't comprehend the added value that a several thousand dollar bike would offer.

This bike was fairly easy to assemble but the front brake isn't very intuitive so I took it to a local bike shop for periodic maintenance and adjustment. The Katana is very well engineered, lightweight, and has lots of great extras typical of a bike costing more. It is really gorgeous with the gunmetal and blue finish and the wheels look fantastic. The bike arrived in the box and had no shipping damage at all.

If you want a great quality bike for the price, consider this one seriously. I got the 54cm frame size (most bikes don't have size options) which fits me perfectly (5'10" with 32 inseam).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike, October 24, 2007
W. Thelen (Houghton, MI, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Katana Road Bike (Sports)
I like to run triathlons but am in college and didn't have a lot of money to spend on a bike. I was a little leery at first because as far a road bikes go this is very inexpensive and there were not many specs available. As soon as i got it I replaced the pedals with clipless and installed a set of areo bars. I am 5'7" an have a 31 in inseam and the 54cm model fits me almost perfect.

I bought the bike about 4 months ago and have put over 1000 miles on it and used it in several triathlons. Set up was easy and i was riding the bike in under an hour. It rolls smooth, climbs hills easily, and is stable at high speeds (50+mph) After the initial break in period you may want to take it to a bike shop and have it tuned up to keep everything working smoothly. For the money you can't beat this bike and after a few upgrades it will turn into a real speed machine competitive with bikes costing over $1000 dollars.

Some added specs on the bike are.
53-34t crankset
28-14t casset
24 spoke areo wheel set
lever shifters located next to the stem(not grip shift or integrated with the breaks)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice bike for the price!, May 18, 2007
Nik (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Katana Road Bike (Sports)
All right, I finally purchased this bike even though I could not find ANY information on it other than on Amazon. It certainly appears that the only place this bike can be purchased is on Amazon (which unfortunately leaves a bit to be desired in the spec information department!).

The bike itself was very easy to assemble, and I've never assembled a bike before. However, it appears that one of the screws that holds the front brake wire onto the front brake lever was lost during shipping. I'll have to purchase a replacement screw but I'm am guessing the cost will be minimal. Overall, the bike took me less than 1/2 hour to assemble.

The components on the bike appear very solid, all Shimano and TruVativ. The brakes and deraileurs needed a little tweaking but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. The tires are very nice and the spokes are sharp in appearance (the spokes are black, but appeared chrome in the picture). The nozzles for the tires are standard (not those little unscrew-type nozzles that drive me crazy). The pedals are standard and do not support SPD clipless footware. If you want clipless pedals, you'll need to purchase them separate. The seat is very comfortable and angle-adjustable. Shifting is smooth. The graphics and paint are very well-done with no removable decals. The bike does not come with a kick-stand, though one is shown in the picture.

I know a couple of people in the specs section said the bike weighs 22 lbs. I purchased the 54cm model and whether I'm weighing the bike on its own or deducting my weight when holding the bike, I'm coming up with just about 24 lbs. Still not too bad for a lower-priced road bike. I'm planning on replacing the pedals with clipless, which I expect will reduce the weight a bit further.

Shipping was very fast, even with the free shipping. Ordered on Sunday, received on Friday.

The only reason I'm going with four stars instead of five is the missing screw I have to replace.

Overall, I am very happy with this bike and glad I purchased it. It was well worth the $300 I paid for it. The quality of components and light weight rival bikes at twice the price. I'm not sure how Amazon managed to corner the ENTIRE market for this bike but more power to them!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starter bike but has some issues, August 15, 2009
S. Cheek (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Katana Road Bike (Sports)
I had the same issue as another reviewer. Once I received my bike I discovered that a bolt was missing which connects the front brake cable. I was able to fix the problem myself after purchasing the bolt from a local bike store. I had to replace both tire tubes since my purchase approx 4 weeks ago. I also found that changing gears from the from small sproket to the larger front sproket causes the chain to come off. I have yet been able to use the larger sprocket.
The bike was easy to assemble and rides pretty good. I have about 100 miles so far and besides the issues described above... Not a bad bike for $350. I think the tire tubes are pretty generic so they do not last long.
The bike is very light too.
If you are looking for a cheap bike to stay in shape this is a good purchase. As with any mechanical equipment you will have to keep up the maintenance. I would recommend grabbing a couple of tubes when getting the front brake cable bolt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Schwinn Katana: Good for the money, August 22, 2007
Lisa M. Ide (Fairfax, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Katana Road Bike (Sports)
[Male buyer] I bought the 54cm bike about 6 weeks ago. I am 5' 10", 30" inseam. As shipped, I found the handlebars to be too low, even if I adjusted the angle of the bars up a bit. I looked on the Schwinn website and found a general purpose maintenance guide for their bikes. I was able to easily figure out that the Head assembly (which the handlebars connect on to) is reversable. I did that and, voila, problem solved. Of course, the cool logo on the side of the Head assembly is now upside down, but I can live with that.

I have only taken 6 rides on the bike so far. 5 short rides (5-10 miles) and 1 medium ride (20 miles) for a total of a little over 50 miles. I am pretty satisfied so far. The bike rides easily, changes gears well, and handles well. I do agree with other reviewers that the brakes could be better, but they do get the job done.

While the bike did not come with detailed assembly instuctions, the only things to assemble are: 1)put on the handlebars (diagram provided), 2)put on the pedals, 3)put on the seat, 4)attach the front brake cable, 5)attach the wheels. I think that was it. There may be more, but I don't remember and I found it pretty easy. I have not had any of the quality issues the other reviewers have referred to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, worth considering, August 21, 2008
Benson (Southeast, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Katana Road Bike (Sports)
I bought this bike to replace an old mountain bike that I rode just to make sure I could make a habit out of riding. This is my first road bike, and I was concerned about having my big body on such narrow tires at 120psi. I bought the 58cm, and I am 6'2 or 6'3 with a 34in inseam.. bike fits excellent, almost like I measured for it. After assembling I spent some time with adjustments and tweaking, oh and immediately flipped over head peice to raise the handlebars. Oh, and took the clips off the pedals.

I have spent some time tweeking and I still dont like how the rear and front derailers are acting. I blame my lack of experience though, not the bike. Although I did have to move the shifter for the front derailer, and now I cannot get it to tighten and hold securely... will probably try something serious, like glue or epoxy, as rubber does not seem to work. also when sprinting the handlebars occasionally make a creaking sound, but probably due to being aluminum, and not actually indicating probable structural failure. And fixed one flat, it was my fault though as I moved valve stem too much causing rubber to tear. The rim tape appeared good and thick, if people are having issues its cheap to replace, but I have not had a problem.

I've had this bike for almost 3 weeks, and as of today I've put a total of 270 miles on it. I love it. I did put on a new seat though, but never even tried the other one, I just had a better one on a different bike. the seat appeared to be well padded and ergonomical though. I now go 6mph faster than I did on my old bike without even trying, but being on a bike like this gives you more motivation (you gotta look like you know how to ride when you're on a nice looking road bike), so my rides to school and to work are much faster. I can easily put on 20miles in one day. I've had it up to 27mph, thats downhill and with a breeze, but not trying very hard. its pretty easy to hold 19-21mph on a smooth flat surface. Everyone thinks I paid double what I spent on this, which is good, other than my refusal to show my girlfriend the receipt. And I have ridden on some rough streets, and a mile down a deep graveled country road, and the bike seems to be holding up well. I am planning on tearing it apart sometime soon to make sure nothing is wearing badly.

All in all, this was a good purchase for the price. If you're trying to decide whether to buy this, I'd recommend it.

Update (11/09/08)- Something in the pedals of this bike broke during normal use on 9-9-08. Amazon told me I had to go through Schwinn for a resolution. Schwinn was going to send me parts for it. Two months and 5 calls to Schwinn later I never did get the parts. I was then told there was nothing they could do about my busted new bike. Had to call Amazon, a week of phone calls and emails and they finally let me return this. This bike lasted 1 month and 9 days, and had 332miles on it. I loved it otherwise, just didnt hold up. Not sure if I will get another one..

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, August 8, 2007
This review is from: Schwinn Katana Road Bike (Sports)
I got this bike this morning and it seems to be a pretty good bike.
I've never had a road bike before so I didn't know what to expect. Having only rode the bike for a few miles so far gives me only a small window to look through, and I will write another review at a later date.
Pros..Cost, light weight, I'm 5'10 32inch inseem and bought the 54cm, I fit perfect, extremely fast, looks great,
Cons...So far the only con is the brakes, they're not the worst brakes ever, but they could be better.

If your just starting out with road bikes and you dont want to dish out $700+ for a bike, I would suggest this one. Would've given it a 5star but the brakes arent up to par.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid bike. Good value., July 7, 2007
K. Penev (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Katana Road Bike (Sports)
The bike arrived in less than a week. Nothing was missing in the box. Assembly was comparable to other bikes I've purchased before. Nothing out of the ordinary. Most of the bike is already assembled. You need to mount the handlebar, seat, front wheel and front brake, and inflate the tires. That's it. The derailleurs were already adjusted and work fine.

I commute on this bike about 16.5 miles per day and am having a great time doing it. I added a few accessories: lights, fenders, bottle holder. There is very little clearance for adding fenders. Only something like Planet Bike SpeedEZ Road Front and Rear Bicycle Fender Set (Black, 35mm Wide) works.

I've put close to 1000 miles on this bike and it's holding up fine. I replaced the pedals with clipless egg beaters. The only major component that needs replacing after all this intensive use is the bottom bracket.

5.0 out of 5 stars solid ride for the cheap tag, November 25, 2007
This review is from: Schwinn Katana Road Bike (Sports)
Ive had those expensive triple zero tagged road bikes, and i have to say, living in the city and riding one of those just to school warrants a risk. They are too flashy, they draw too much attention in the city where they are stolen regularly. the perfect alternative, purchase the same quality engineering, outsourced to china of course, slap on a relatively well known and respected brand name and viola your problems solved. i still get compliments and turn heads on this thing over a cannondale. It rides solid, Ive gotten up to fifty mph just riding in the city. Im 6'3" 34 inseam and the 58cm frame may look small but puts me only a couple inches over the cross bar. Im very pleased with this bike and recommend to anyone looking to cut corners the right way. Easy assembly, a friend purchased the same bike and paid an extra $120 to assemble it at a store... it took me all of 30 minutes to figure it out, you need an allen wrench and normal size adjusting wrench for the pedals, not that big of a deal. take my word, its worth the petty cash, ships quick and rides smooth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs work to be a solid bike, June 21, 2011
This review is from: Schwinn Katana Road Bike (Sports)
I purchased this bike one year ago (June 2010). It really got me into cycling as a sport, and I put about 500 miles on it before I bought a Cannondale CAAD9. The schwinn became my 'commuter', which means I rode it to class and left it locked up outside in the rain. I live in Cleveland, so there's plenty of that. I didn't ride it for most of December - early February, but it came out again before the snow had melted and got its healthy dosage of road salts. I kept it clean, and stored it indoors every night, and the drivetrain (amazingly) withstood the beating. I estimate that I have around 1100 miles on this bike so far, and pushing 3500 on my Cannondale.

I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, and I ride the 54cm version of this bike, which is a decent fit for me. My CAAD is a 56cm and is perfect. I wouldn't do well on the 58cm of this bike, as the description recommends.

I now train seriously and race a lot, and I have learned quite a bit about taking care of bikes. So here are a few things you should know before you buy this bike:

Cons:
1. The stem failed after about a month. The metal that had been threaded in the stem actually just popped right out, no warnings. Luckily I was only going 5 or 6 mph when it happened, and I was able to grab the brake lever while the handlebar (!) dropped off the front of the bike. If I had been going faster, that could have been a serious problem reeeal fast. Highly recommend replacing the stem with a 4-bolt model. They can be had fairly cheap.

1.25 I had to replace the bottom bracket after three months. I've seen that complaint in some other reviews. (at this point, the guy at my LBS said "I see this bike more than I see my mother")

1.5 Both tubes went within two weeks of setting up the bike. Put in some Qtubes, haven't had a flat since. Definitely order some new tubes with this bike.

2. The cassette is an ancient thread-on (from what I can tell), and will be nearly impossible to replace once it wears out. It will need a new rear wheel before the cassette can be replaced. Luckily, you can upgrade it to 8/9 speed at that point, though you'll also need a new shifter. I believe the derailleur will work with 8/9 speed.

3. I've had two of the cables fray and snap under normal conditions, for the rear derailleur and rear brake. I just replaced all the cables (more on that later) so it's not an issue for me anymore. A cable set should run you about twenty bucks, so not a huge deal.

4. The components just feel generally cheap. After feeling how solid a decent set of components can be, I immediately relegated this bike to the 'campus' realm.

5. But it's not particularly well-suited for that, either. The clearance on the brakes is so low that I had to order a set of fenders from the UK- I couldn't find any here that would fit. There is also no way to mount a standard rack, something that I really really want to do now, for carrying groceries and books. I've managed to carry about 40lbs of groceries home with it by stuffing things in my backpack and with plastic bags dangling off the handlebars. That wasn't a particularly good idea.

6. The wheels are heavy. Reeeeally heavy. If you ever start caring about weight, upgrading the wheels will easily shave a pound and a half, maybe two if you spend decent money.

7. The way they put the handlebar tape on is ridiculous. I spent about an hour earlier today wiping the gunk from the old stuff off with rubbing alcohol..

8. Only one water bottle cage mount. I can only ride for about 45 minutes with one water bottle. Ended up strapping another one to the top tube.

Okay, now for the pros:
1. It's survived cleveland. 'nuff said.
2. It's got a threadless steerer.
3. Dual-pivot brakes. (single-pivot are those awful things you see on bikes from 1970)
4. Upgradeable. Most of the stuff it uses (except the rear hub, apparently) is compatible with current, widely available components.

I decided a few days ago that I was tired of this being a crud bike, so I put about two hundred dollars into making it solid. I replaced the brake levers (huge difference in feel- the old ones were no good), the brake calipers, the shifters (installed bar-end shifters), the chain, and all the cables and housings. I might slap new wheels on it soon, because currently I can't upgrade the cassette (tried- now I have a useless 7-speed cassette lying around). In retrospect, it would have been much easier to just spend another 300 in the first place- now I've put at least that much into this bike. I got my CAAD9 (with full Shimano 105) for the same amount. That was a steal, but not unheard of.

If you're considering this bike, I have some advice for you.
1) if you think you would be interested in the sport, spend more money. You won't regret it. (it's a great sport, too)
2) if you just want something to knock around campus or the neighborhood, it's not awful. Might even get you into cycling (it could happen to you...), but there are better options for that.
3) if you think it looks cool and that's why you want to buy it- I've gotten waaaaay too many jokes about the "aero" frame. Go for something a little classier. This frame is not at all "aero"- in fact, I suspect it's less aerodynamic because of the rectangular cross-section downtube. Doesn't matter, though, the thing weighs 24 pounds.

I've also crashed the bike once, and the front wheel needed retruing. Absolutely pummeled the ground at 25mph. The components were all fine, though it needed new tape.

Schwinn Katana Road Bike