5.0 out of 5 stars For Real Men, With Real Butts and Real Plumbing
Published on November 15, 2006 by John D. Peterson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Comfortable as Billed
Published on July 6, 2006 by Laura West

5.0 out of 5 stars For Real Men, With Real Butts and Real Plumbing, November 15, 2006
This review is from: Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat (Sports)
I bought a Raleigh GRUV bicycle a few months ago so I could do some riding with my girlfriend. The GRUV is an odd looking machine, but it was absolutely the most comfortable bike I test rode. Having not been on a bicycle for over 25 years, I wanted to build some endurance before I got together with my gal for a pleasant weekend ride. After my short "practice" rides in the evenings, I suffered from some mild but noticeable numbness in unmentionable, "manly" areas. I never suffered from this when I was a youngster, so I figured it would pass after I got used to riding again. I figured wrong. I went for my much anticipated weekend "date ride" (about 10 miles worth of nice, paved trails). By the end of the trip, the "comfortable" stock seat on that bike had caused many miserable and painful "sensations". So I did some research and came-up with the Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat. Ordered it right here off of Amazon. Installed easily on the seat post that came with the bike. Took a bit of adjusting to get the height set where I wanted it. It seems more comfortable when it is positioned a little lower than a regular style seat. GOOD LORD what a difference! It does take a bit of getting use to, but once you get the feel of it, you'll love it!! Now I can ride for hours and when I'm done, I don't feel like an alien abduction victim who's been "probed". It's not a 100% solution to the "male pressure" problem - but pretty darn close!! If you're a casual bike rider, looking for a comfortable seat, give this one a shot. I'm betting you (and your private parts) will be much pleased and satisfied!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kind between your legs but better for high handlebar bikes, January 1, 2008
This review is from: Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat (Sports)
I got this seat for my mountain bike because I realized that I wasn't a hardcore mountain biker who wants the lightest seat possible with best control; I'm a casual city rider who hates pain between the legs and worries about his man parts. So I was looking for a comfort seat. I compared this with the seats that have two pads and have glowing reviews from people with prostate problems and this was, well, cheaper. It also looks a bit more comfy.

This seat is comfortable to sit on. Very comfortable. Like an office chair or better. If all we did on bikes was sit, this would be the best seat money can buy. However, we also pedal on bikes, and that creates a bit of a problem. Specifically, as you pedal your legs push down on the front edge of the seat on the downstroke and after a while it hurts. Normal bikes (not the cruiser kind) have the center of the pedals right under the seat. That's fine if your seat is a narrow ridge that is squashing your man parts and your legs are dangling off the sides, but if you are sitting on a nice comfy office chair seat, your legs come out in front. So the situation is not optimal. That's why most other prostate protecting comfort seats look really scary: the pads are out behind the seat post, so the post is precariously positioned between your legs. I haven't really tried them, so I won't comment more on them.

Anyway, if you have a bike with a comparatively upright natural position (high handle bars and the like) and especially if you have a bike that has the pedals out in front of the seat, then you are going to absolutely love this seat. When you just sit in it, there really is no pressure. It's shaped like your backside. It's padded. It's really nice.

But I don't have one of those bikes. I have a trek 4500 mountain bike. So here's how I handled it...

At first I lowered the seat, but it feels funny because your knees go out in front and then bend almost underneath you, putting an undue proportion of the work on your thighs. So I raised it up to normal seat height (about the height of the handlebars). Then we run into the upper leg pain from the front edge of the seat. The manual says to keep the seat level, but what do they know? so I angled the seat forward. Ahhh, very comfortable to pedal. And if I want to just sit and coast, I can sit just a bit farther back, almost on the back edge. Not as comfy as an office chair, but pretty good still. I can sit or pedal on this forever (from a soft tissue point of view). Pain between my legs? Zero. Worries for my future sexual prowess? Zero. I love this seat and this setup. When I see a bump on the road, I don't worry about lifting myself off to prevent nasty shocks being transmitted to my most delicate areas. I just sit down and relax. Shocks are spread throughout your bottom. Ahhhh. Makes me want to invest in a recumbent bike next time.

But is there a downside? Oh yes, having the seat angled forward puts a lot of your weight on your handlebars. Result: a crazy workout for your arms. I don't think I have sufficient arm strength to ride this all day long. I never really ride more than my 5 mile commute anyway, so I don't mind a bit. In fact, it's kind of nice. Now riding my bike gives me wicked triceps as well as amazing leg muscles.

So what I'm saying here is, you need to adjust adjust adjust this seat until it's right. Try crazy positions. You might end up very happy like me. Or maybe not.

There's some talk here about trouble controlling the bike. I haven't noticed any significant changes from a horned seat. I guess I wasn't using the horn between my legs much for control. I tend to keep my hands on the handlebars. One time I do notice things a little funny is when I get up to pedal hard for some reason. That's fine, but then when I go to sit back down, my backside has to feel around quite a bit more before I find the seat than it did when I used horned seats. It's not a big deal. Certainly it won't make me want to trade this seat in for anything else.

What would I tell the schwinn people if I was giving them feedback? Well, they should probably address the issue of the seat positioning the rider too far forward on the bike. I wouldn't go to an extreme and start changing fundamentals, but they could have the little bars under the seat that attach to the post come forward just a bit more than they do. That would probably open up this seat to a lot of people. Other than that the design is pretty great.

This seat has eliminated all my backside and between-the-legs pain, which was seriously hindering my enjoyment of cycling. Forget all those people saying you should wear special biking shorts (yeah right), get your seat professionally microfit (doesn't help), or just wait out the pain. This seat takes some adjustment and a bit of getting used to, but I would never go back. In fact, without this seat I won't cycle.

One other small peeve: there is a velvety fake suede surface to this seat. It's fine (in fact it kind of grips your backside) except when you leave your bike in the rain or snow...it holds water and snow more than the usual fake leather stuff.

======== Update November 2012 =====================

I've been using this saddle for several years now and I have finally become annoyed enough with its shortcomings to replace it. Specifically, at normal angles, if you ride for a while, the front edge of the seat digs in to the back of your legs and it's uncomfortable. You can angle it up higher but then it doesn't support much of your weight and you are constantly sliding off. Not to mention, the bars underneath don't come very far forward, so the seat is always a little too far forward on my bike (it would be better if my frame was bigger).

I bought the Hobson Easyseat dual pad bicycle seat to replace it and it is much, much better for the following reasons:

* The two seat pads rotate somewhat as your legs move, so they can support you all through the stroke.

* They do an even better job of keeping pressure off your junk than this seat does.

* The surface does not absorb water, has higher friction (so you don't slide off) and overall has a better build quality.

It's a bit heavier and a little bit more expensive than this saddle, but I would definitely suggest using the Hobeson instead of this one unless you have a very upright-style bike with pedals out in front of you and a very upright posture.

TL;DR version: Get the Hobeson Easyseat instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!!, August 20, 2006
Amazon Customer "srplnthlt" (Lancaster, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat (Sports)
WOW!! This seat is great! I had an ileostomy about a year ago, and during the recovery process I gained a lot of weight. This weight, coupled with a very tender backside, meant that I needed an extremely comfortable seat. I saw a seat at Wal-Mart that had springs, gel, and was nine inches wide. When I pushed on it, it seemed like a very comfortable seat so I purchased it. After installing it, I rode approximately two blocks and had to get off, needless to say, I returned it, and purchased this one. This seat is truly a godsend! I don't know how they make it so comfortable, ( there are no springs that I can see ) but it is like sitting on a heavily padded bench. It also adjusts front to back, like a car seat, once it's set, tightening the mounting nuts locks it securely in place. I found this feature handy due to the fact that I'm over six feet tall and needed the leg room. A previous reviewer commented on feeling like they were falling off when riding downhill, I did not have this problem at all, maybe due to my weight. (?) I have nothing bad to say about this seat. Schwinn, ya done good!

Amazon did good too, delivery in only five days!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, June 15, 2008
d1nonly "D1nonly" (Leavenworth, Kansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat (Sports)
I recently started biking again as part of a fitness challenge and renewed desire to continue to stay fit. So I combined going to and from work with biking and walking. Sometimes, I bike 15+ miles between morning and evening trips. However, soon after starting biking, my butt and thighs were hurting and getting sore...so men, you are not the only ones with this issue! I am of average proportion and like many others on here I wondered what happened from when I was a little girl. I rode everywhere for hours and the saddle was not even cushioned (I am in pain just thinking back)! I started to buy another gel cover for my saddle, but all they had in the store were whole gel seats...so I decided to give amazon a whirl and found this nifty seat...it stands to reason that without the horn, there should not be any thigh burn issues-and there are none. Changing out the seat was a snap-less than 3 min...I am not experiencing some of the problems with the adjustments that other have, so I am happy. I almost did not buy this because of some of the reviews mentioning this. I am not sure why someone did not come up with this idea eons ago...I know for rding hands-free the horn comes in handy so you can use your body to steer the bike, but other than that is is so 'superfluous'-and-as we all know: a pain in the derriere and places elsewhere. Now, I wonder if this is already out there in gel version. However, I will never ride a bike with a horn again...I want a booty-cradle (After all-if cradles work for babies-they also should work for our bums). Happy trails.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Comfortable as Billed, July 6, 2006
This review is from: Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat (Sports)
I purchased this seat recently because I thought I would like it better than the hard seat that I previouly had. I really liked the fact that it didn't have a middle part sticking out that was so uncomfortable on my other seat. What I have found is that while it's more comfortable than my other seat, it's not as great as promised. It is much more comfortable once it was properly adjusted but I now have the feeling that I might slip off especially when going across slanted driveways or down hills. I am still on the lookout for the perfectly comfortable seat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ow ow OW!, March 15, 2008
This review is from: Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat (Sports)
I bought this seat for my Schwinn cruiser. I found it very uncomfortable and hard---I could feel every bump. I'm 5'5", about 130 lbs., not a big girl by any means. I could not get the seat to move back far enough; it made me feel like I was too close to the handlebars. It cut into the backs of my legs and they started to go numb, even after tilting it forward. It also made my back curve in, which started to hurt, too. I'm exchanging mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the ONLY way to ride!, July 26, 2007
M. Logsdon (Central Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat (Sports)
This seat is truly amazing! It looks promising right out of the box. It was very easy to install--one bolt, one wrench--take off the old seat, put on the new one, and tighten the bolt back up! My first 5 minutes on the bike after installing this seat was all I needed to know!
1. It bears your weight on your bottom (not your tender, inmost parts)(It is actually shaped like a seat {not a suppository}!)
2. You can rest your weight (even while peddling)on your "sit bones." Your weight is supported by your skeletal structure.
3. The seat is very "male" comfortable (no more pressing and squeezing). It would also be much more comfortable for women as well, but it's the difference between "night and day" for a man!
I'm thinking of getting another one for my in-door "exercise" bike too. My wife also thinks it's a marked improvement over a traditional style seat!

3.0 out of 5 stars Exercie Bike? Yes. Bicycle? Nope., March 22, 2010
This review is from: Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat (Sports)
I am a bony 51-yr old female with a bike-riding-loving husband and a Downtube folding bike. I need a comfy bike seat if I am going to ride for more than a few minutes. Men's seats are cruel torture. Even some of the "gel" seats are pretty uncomfortable. I thought this one might be the answer but I was wrong.

1. The seat was comfortable ss long as I was not moving! But after riding for a few minutes I realized I was going to deal with a new pain - the dull, crampy feeling of something putting a lot of pressure on the back of my upper thigh. I could even feel the seat irritating my sciatic nerve. NASTY. I had to adjust and adjust, and as long as I was not pedaling it was great. Pedaling, esp. hard pedaling, was not comfortable.
2. Steering. As others have noted, the lack of the "nose" of the seat means that ALL the steering and balancing is done by the arms and whole body. It's amazing how much control I felt I'd lost by the elimination of that one part of the seat.
3. Part of the problem is that when we pedal a bike on a traditional saddle our legs are pumping up and down, along the side of the nose. On this seat, our legs are still needing to pump up and down, but now there is something in the way - the edge of the seat.
4. For an exercise bike on which the pedals are set quite a bit forward of the seat (and going nowhere, not needing to balance) I think this would be a good choice for anyone but those with the most generous bottoms. So, like I said in my title, good for stationary bike (with caveat) and not so great for a real bike. I am sending it back.
Still in search of a COMFORTABLE BIKE SEAT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better seat for smaller rider of new Schwinn womans bicycle, June 10, 2008
This review is from: Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat (Sports)
We bought a new Schwinn Southport woman's bicycle.
The stock seat although comfortable in some respects, the stock seat that came with the bike hurt my wifes inner thighs.She is 4'11" in height.I lowered the seat and made several adjustments to the handlebars to fit her to ride comfortable. She love the bicycle, but the seat was just too wide for her body. I ordered this new "no pressure bicycle seat" made by Schwinn and it is perfect! Make sure you tilt the seat slightly upwards to adjust to you rider. It may take a couple of adjustments to get it perfect. Worth the small effort with the adjustable wrench. Do not use priers. Ever!
Happy biking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cushy for your tushy, January 10, 2007
This review is from: Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat (Sports)
I live a mile and a half from my office and I have occasionally gotten on my bike and rode it to work. The trouble is that I always felt sore all day even though the ride is not very far. This made me not want to do this very often. I'm at the point in my life where I really need to get some exercise and figured that riding to work would be ideal and would even save some gas money. After searching online for a new bike seat, I settled on this one, based on the other reviews. From first hand experience, I can tell you that this seat has made all the difference in the world. It is very padded and broad and does not have the pointy part that can make a man, shall we say, uncomfortable. I now ride to work often and never have the soreness problem. The seat takes a little getting used to, but once you get over the slight feeling of leaning forward, it is fine. I highly recommend this bike seat. A good product at a good price.

Schwinn No Pressure Bicycle Seat