4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable option for jogging stroller
I bought this stroller used off craigslist about 8 months ago. I really wanted a BOB Revolution, but since I was just getting back into running, by husband said to try this one out first. Here are the pros and cons.

PROS:
Published on June 15, 2011 by KN

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice stroller for the price.
Published on January 9, 2007 by J. Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable option for jogging stroller, June 15, 2011

PROS:
- Huge canopy that can block sun & wind when it's cold. You can detach the back of the canopy so it will rotate all the way down to the seat. Not even the BOB or Baby Jogger models can do this. We live in FL, so a huge canopy is important. I love this feature so much that strollers without rotating canopies are deal-breakers for me.
- Smooth ride, easy to push when running and even walking
- 5 point harness
- Has a hand brake and leash (I don't think the BOB has a hand brake)
- Seat reclines (not completely flat, but to less than a 45 degree angle)
- One parent cupholder and uncovered storage compartment (You have to pay extra for that with the BOB)
- Elasticized cup holders for child on the inside sides of the seat
- You can take it apart to wash the fabrics, but you have to unscrew everything (then remember how it all goes back together)
- Height adjustable handlebar (BOB has a fixed height handlebar)
- Handlebar is made of smooth, cushy, rubberized plastic that won't deteriorate with sweat & moisture. (The BOB's handlebar is made of this squishy black material comparable to what's on some lawn mower handlebars, and I know this material deteriorates over time.)
- Great on trails & off of paved roads.

CONS:
- Underseat basket is decent size, but it drags. I fixed this by tying a cord to the back of the basket and attaching it to the bungee cord that allows the seat to recline.
- Fixed front wheel (but then again, a true jogging stroller has a fixed front wheel. I really like this stroller a lot and just wish I could take it around to stores.)
- Seat angle is kind of steep for small babies. My daughter is one and really petite, so her legs aren't long enough for her knees to bend while she's sitting in the jogger.
- You have to unscrew everything to clean the fabrics.
- No way to lock it when it's folded. The fold isn't very compact. It's a bit smaller when you take off the wheels or at least the front wheel. It also doesn't stand on its own when folded.
- Seat isn't very padded & there's no head support. I added folded blankets to the seat back and the Summer Infant Cradler for more support.
- Heavy when you need to get it in and out of the car.

Overall, this is a great stroller if you're primarily using it for local walking & running. Since it's heavy and doesn't fold very compactly, it may be a pain to get it into and out of the car if you need to drive to wherever you'll be exercising. Also, since it has a fixed front wheel, it really is meant just for exercising, not for the mall or other places where you need more maneuverability. Despite the cons listed, it is a great, affordable alternative to more expensive jogging strollers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, May 22, 2009
I use this to run, 3-5 miles, 4-5 days per week. My daughter is comfortable, it is very lightweight, it handles smoothly and the canopy is nice and big to fully cover your child. A couple things to keep in mind-- running with any jogging stroller is not particularly easy--you need to keep one hand on the stroller almost all the time and it is heavy when pushing it uphill. They're still worth it though. Also, I've seen reviews knocking this stroller because the front wheel doesn't swivel, but if you are running you never want a swivel wheel--it will rattle around and not ride smoothly. This thing is huge and made for running, not for just walking around, and certainly not for taking into stores & such. It's great for the money and, p.s., it's about $70 cheaper to get blue & red vs. blue & gray.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice stroller for the price., January 9, 2007
I bought this stroller to use solely for walking/running with my son. We use it on pavement, grass & sand. It covers all grounds smoothly. Compared to other jogging strollers it is an excellent price for similar quality. I love the fact that the handle raises & lowers and it has a rain protector that unzips from the canopy to come down in front to cover my son if we get caught out in bad weather. On the downside, my brake doesn't work & no matter how many times I adjust the front wheel I cannot get the alignment straight. It always veers a little to the left.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Stroller, it's a Runner, May 7, 2007
SouthGrandPa (Wilmington, DE USA) - See all my reviews
I have an active 2-year old granddaughter who hates strollers but wants to be carried after the first mile. This stroller did the trick, mostly. When my granddaughter is around, it's called a "Runner", not a "Stroller." She loves to ride in it, but only if I sprint once in a while. The stroller does great, it's the engine (me) that isn't up to it any more. (A word of caution - make sure your passenger is buckled up tight and the safety strap is on your wrist - these stroller have almost no rolling resistance and the brakes stop on a dime - fortunately, my daughter wasn't present on "first flight."

5.0 out of 5 stars No Problems, May 12, 2007
I ordered this without very high expectations after reading other's reviews. I have had no problems with the handbrake or alignment of the wheel. If you have a long stride, then you might have a problem with the "axle" that connects the rear wheels. If you want to use it right away, make sure you have your phillips head screwdriver, something to cut zipties with and a bike tire pump. Enjoy those runs! By the way it's great that the seat cover is removable for that spit up and dried slober.....

5.0 out of 5 stars In love with this stroller, April 11, 2011
I am a full time mom of a 7 month old and before my pregnancy, I liked to jog. I was worried that I would not be able to continue running but I found this stroller and absolutely fell in love with the fact that it was so lightweight. I read up on what kind of jogging stroller to buy and found out that it was recommended to purchase an aluminum frame over any thing else because it was light. I also read that it was best to purchase a jogging stroller with a fixed front wheel as the ones that you could lock and unlock did not hold up well. I actually liked the fixed wheel. A little bit of pressure on one side of the handle bars will turn it and work out your pecs and arms too! I actually like running even more now than I did before my daughter came with me! Another feature that I like is the easy to lock wheels. If I stop (there is a brake but I don't use it, haven't had to yet) all I have to do is step on the bar and it locks everything so it won't move. I got so used to it that I try to raise my foot to step on the bar of the regular stroller to lock it and end up looking stupid because I'm stomping the ground. The only con is the drink holder- you can't stand your water bottle up in it, you have to lay it it's side in the flat tray instead of the drink holder. Then I don't have a place for my cell phone and keys. It would also be nice if the tray had a lid that you could close down over the items you put in it. If I'm not careful they can bounce out. The basket underneath is the perfect size for a diaper bag too. It feels very stable and the harness is secure-for an older infant. I would not recommend it for smaller babies- I don't think the harness would hold them in as well. I hope this review helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Jogger for the price, October 12, 2011
Before I purchased this jogging stroller, I looked on craigslist to see what I could find. I found a lot of strollers going for $100, so I figured that I'd take a look at new ones, which led me to the Schwinn Free Runner.

Pros: I run mostly on pavement, and some trails and this jogger is just great. It's easy to run with, I don't hit it with my legs (I'm 6'0"), and it is easy to navigate. My son is conformable in it, I know this because he fell asleep in it the other day while I was running. I can shade him from the sunlight with the adjustable shade and it is easy to fold up and store. I hang my on a wall hook in my laundry room. I think for the price, you can't beat it.

Cons: I have read the reviews others have said about not wanting to put their 6 month old in this and I would agree with that. This stroller isn't as supportive as a car seat. I started running with my son when he was 10 months old (he's a big boy) and both my wife and I feel confident running with him. Based on this, I would recommend this stroller for infants 1 year and older. Also, I found that the 5 point plastic harness feels a bit cheap but still works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Jogger, November 26, 2011
I've tried several different joggers and haven't been able to find one that measures up to the Free Runner. My 2 year old is big for his age and it looks like he will fit and be comfortable for another few years which is what prompted me to purchase this particular jogger. I've run several 5Ks since purchasing in Oct. This jogger is easy to handle as far as steering and light weight (even with a 30 lb child on board). It is easy to break down to fit into my compact vehicle and a breeze to put together. Other joggers I've had required constant readjustment after breaking down and putting back together, but this one does not. The under storage is large enough to hold blankets, breakfast, and a diaper bag for the early morning 5K. I love it and so does my son. He usually ends up asleep when we go for a run in the mornings. The free shipping was extremely fast!! It got here faster than it would have if I had paid for expidited shippping :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good....., September 17, 2009
Erniegirl36 (Chesapeake, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This is the second running stroller I have owned. I bought the blue and red one. I had a very expensive brand the first time around with my older boy. This one got such good reviews and was so much less expensive that I thought I would give it a try. This stroller went together a little rough but it eventually came together. The fabric is not as good of a quality as my previous high dollar stroller, but the straps are sooooo much better in this schwinn! They fit my 6 month old boy great! He looks very comfy in it. This stroller is very well balanced and it took almost no adjusting to get it to go in a straight line. The brake pads are a little on the cheap side and will be replaced with better ones. The price is pretty good and the quality is pretty good. I gave it 3 stars because of the crunchy fabric and the lack of rain shield which has to be purchased after-market. It is nice that there are accessories that can be bought for this stroller like a baby cold weather bag and a few other do-dads. Over all, with this stroller you get what you pay for. It mirrors strollers of a much higher price with less expensive materials. It's great if you want a functional running stroller for a lower price.

2.0 out of 5 stars mmmmm, March 12, 2012
I am not thrilled with this jogger. Maybe I just got a lemon, but my jogger veers hard left. I have had my husband and his mechanic friends take a look at it, but there is no solution. Also, my jogger came without the shoulder harness strap. It doesn't seem safe to have my wiggling baby in it with only a waist buckle. My biggest issue is the reclining feature. I think this design is seriously flawed. It is hard to describe but to adjust the seat you pull a cord on the back side of the seat. When we went over a bump (during my jog) the cord slipped off, the seat reclined all the way down and my baby girl's head got caught on the cord, basically dangling her head. I was really upset by this. NOT A SAFE DESIGN FEATURE!!

Rate and Discover Movies