5.0 out of 5 stars The ER Doctor said "This Helmet Saved Your Life".
Published on April 10, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, but the visor is worthless
Helmet is comfortable, but the "sun visor" is as cheap as it comes. Its suppose to come off and be able to put back on, but the cheap plastic "plugs" that are suppose to secure it into pre-existing holes, are absolutley worthless. Velcro would do a better job. I gave it 3 Stars only cause I wasn't planning using the visor anyway. I just don't understand how Schwinn...
Published on April 14, 2011 by Garrett A. Turesky

5.0 out of 5 stars The ER Doctor said "This Helmet Saved Your Life"., April 10, 2010
Amazon Customer (Buchanan, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schwinn Thrasher Adult Micro Bicycle black/grey Helmet (Adult) (Sports)
I am writing this review based up on my real life experience on 3/14/10. My husband is a lifelong cyclist. Together we have worn bike helmets our entire adult lives. Friends joked about how we looked wearing our helmets in the past. They don't joke anymore. My husband was riding solo at about 18-20 MPH and became startled by an unleashed dog that appeared out of nowhere. Expecting to be nipped at the heel, the dog instead crashed into the front bicycle wheel, sending him over the handlebars onto a paved street. His 1 year old Schwinn Thrasher helmet took the fist impact, destroying itself in order to save his skull and brain. Reconstructive orthopedic surgery was required for his shattered left collarbone. He is still healing - but he is able share his experience with others today. I spent a mere $20 bucks at a discount store. The Schwinn Thrasher helmet saved my husband's life. Thank you Schwinn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Value, Check out my Video Review, August 4, 2010
Length:: 0:46 Mins

This helmet is a fantastic value for the money. Don't let the name "Micro" fool you, it's a big value and fits heads of all sizes! Check out my video review for more details.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Helmet, November 12, 2009
L. Carlson (Long Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
OK. Let's just all agree that bicycle helmets are ugly and that it's likely that you'll feel ridiculous wearing one. Get over it! These days with increasing numbers of distracted drivers, you'd be crazy not to wear a helmet. That being said, the Schwinn Thrasher Helmet is a great choice. It is comfortable, adjustable and was even able to fit my giant head. It is sculpted to allow ample air flow to keep your head cool and the basic black/charcoal design keeps the look simple and clean. I don't find the plastic visor to be of much use, but it can detached if necessary.

As a bonus, it is a "Best Buy" from Consumer Reports.

If you ride a bike don't expect a baseball cap to protect you. You need a helmet and the Schwinn Thrasher Helmet is a good choice at a great price.

4.0 out of 5 stars No-brainer!, November 29, 2010
pdub (chicago, il) - See all my reviews
I got the Schwinn Thrasher helmet to replace an aging Giro Havoc. Despite the many positive reviews I kept my expectations low. However, when the helmet arrived and I tried it on, my mind was made up. As far as I can tell, the construction quality is pretty much on par with the much costlier Havoc (I paid $70 including tax at my local bike shop). The fit is also a bit better, thanks to the Dial Fit adjustment feature. The Havoc employed a seemingly more primitive notched slider for fit adjustment.

One noticeable difference is that the Thrasher isn't as thick at the bottom, so it doesn't create the appearance of a mushroom cap resting on top of your head. My vanity has pretty much been decimated over the years but it is still nice to wear a slightly less ridiculous looking bike helmet. Now, perhaps the extra thickness of the Havoc equates to extra protection, but I'll take my chances with the Schwinn! Also, I have an enormous head (23" inches around...someone please tell me why I'm not smarter!) but the fit is very comfortable and secure.

Hopefully I won't have to replace this helmet for any reason other than natural wear, but when that time comes I'm going straight for the Schwinn Thrasher.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great value even if it is a bit cheaply made, August 20, 2010
I bought this helmet after reading the very convincing top review about how it saved someone's life. Looking a little dorky is a small price to pay for that protection. Overall I'm pleased with this helmet. For the price it offers quite a bit. Keep in mind when you read my 'cons' that this helmet is regularly around twenty bucks.

Pros:

1) Light design--appears insubstantial actually, but that is the way it's made. It's created to break up on impact, thus absorbing the blow that your head would have taken.

2) Fits very well and is super comfortable to wear. I really like the strap design, as well as the adjustment knob inside the helmet that controls the harness width to accommodate many different sized heads.

3) Aesthetics are pretty good, especially with the visor. For an inexpensive helmet, I'm pretty impressed. No one looks awesome in a bike helmet, but at least it doesn't look too dorky.

4) Is not so amazing looking that it is a thief magnet.

Cons:

1) The plastic exterior shell is not that well affixed to the foam. It floats around a little bit, and looks like it may develop problems after years of use.

2) The visor attaches to the helmet using plastic pins that will eventually break off. It also doesn't stay in place as well as I would like. I simply glued mine in place since I never plan to ride without it anyway.

3) The interior of the helmet has thin, felt pads that are connected to the foam using small circles of Velcro. They are a tad too small, and so the pads shift around more than I would like. I can't glue these in place, because ideally you want to pull them out and wash them once in a while. My solution: add my own sticky-sided velcro to bolster what's already there. This works great.

Conclusions:

For the price, you'd be hard pressed to find a better helmet. Also, based on other reviews, a few of which talk about the product actually being tested in a real life crash, it appears to work well. It's a decent looking helmet, and although I wish it did have a slightly higher build quality, it's still a good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Helmet! Passes the "Thief Test", August 2, 2010
This is a great helmet. It fits well (6'3" 200 pound male). The adjustment wheel works perfectly and is well made. There is a lot of cooling airflow when you are out riding and the visor blocks the sun quite well. I was surprised with the build quality given the price and it even looks good on top of it all! (In fact it's good enough/stylish enough to steal apparently and I'm back for my second helmet. If someone wants to steal this helmet and save their thief head I will happily purchase more and pass them around to anyone who wants one.) Thanks Schwinn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved My Life, January 16, 2011
I was out riding my bike on a rough trail and my back wheel hit a large rock that threw me over my handlebars. If it had not been for this helmet, I do not know if I would be here today (maybe a little exaggerated). The bike had landed on top of me with the back wheel right on my head. When I gained consciousness, the helmet had not only prevented my head from slamming into the dirt, but it was holding the bike over my head. When I got home I checked the helmet and it was barely scratched! This helmet is comfortable, stylish, and customizable to fit your head. I love this helmet and I will definitely recommend it to all my friends and family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits my rather large head, seems fine, March 19, 2010
I bought this after the Giro didn't fit my head. This is nowhere as good of a quality as the Giro but if you wear the largest hats/caps and even then your head barely fits, then this is for you and the Giro is not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits this small noggin, March 11, 2011
I just relocated back to the US after a number of years in a few Asian countries, using a bicycle at least partially for commuting, never bothering to wear a helmet (when in Rome). While in general Americans adhere to traffic laws more than their Asian counterparts, I've noticed they seem less likely to watch for pedestrians and cyclists. I also noticed loose dogs can be much more aggressive here, so when I read the review about the lady's husband whose bicycle was taken out by a dog, I thought how lucky I was when the same happened to me w/o a helmet, albeit at a much, much slower speed (still knocked me on my ass), and that it was definitely time to get a helmet.

I wanted a good helmet that fit right at a low cost, and that's exactly what this is. I have a relatively small head, to the point that I can't expect most hats or sunglasses to fit right. This helmet fits perfectly at a size greater than the smallest adjustment of the band. It works, it's sufficient in quality, it's a bargain: that's all I really want from a utilitarian product.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Helmet Saved My Life, December 28, 2011
I was riding down the west side greenway this morning in Manhattan. A enormous burst of wind caught me by surprise and I was unable to recover. I went down in an instant and felt an enormous thud on the side of my head. I sat on the ground for a few seconds making sure all my body parts were in the right places. I was shaken up, but not in any serious pain, so I stood up and dusted myself off. I took off my helmet to wipe my forehead. I then noticed that the helmet was in pieces strewn along the greenway and a large chunk had broken off during the fall.

I don't know where I would have been if it weren't for this helmet. Thanks!!!

Schwinn Thrasher Adult Micro Bicycle black/grey Helmet (Adult)
$24.99 $19.99