Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Color: CarnivalChange

on June 7, 2012
I enjoy reviews... I appreciate people writing the reviews. However, after going through page after page and seeing things along the lines of, "so cute, my daughter loves the bubble print," or "perfect for my girly-girl,"...I wanted to SCREAM! There must be a more than a few people who are confused about this helmet being labeled "Toddler" but also saying "Ages 3+" right on the front. I was. But I took a chance and ordered it for my 3.5 year old. Not even CLOSE on the fit. I actually tightened up the adjustments and it fit my 5 month old. This is a BABY helmet.

I will go out on a line here and age this helmet for whoever is interested, since no one else (including Schwinn) has. Ages 6 MONTHS to about a maximum of 2 YEARS (child with head on small side.) Anything above that should get the adjustable youth size. Apart from the sizing issue, this helmet seems adequate. It is lightweight and will most certainly protect the noggin from a nasty spill.

Saving this "3 yrs+" helmet for my infant, who will probably be wearing it soon.
2828 comments951 of 977 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2013
Admittedly I was frustrated looking for a helmet that would fit my 2 year old. I did not like the helmets found at local stores due to the 'elastic back' feature. Even with the 1+ sizing the helmet could easily shift. I was dissapointed that there is no actual size in the description so here you go.

-SIZING ESTIMATE-
My Daughter is almost 2, her head (circumference) measures almost 19 inches (80th percentile if that helps you with reference). I gambled on this helmet as I had no reference to size and when I was able to put it on her head I can tell you that 19" is the small size of what this helmet can accommodate. I didn't have it quite dialed down to the smallest size but when I took it off I was very close to the smallest it could go. I LOVE that it fits securely without being crooked on her head. As for the largest it can go, the dial feature offers more growth than the actual helmet itself. The inside of the helmet measures almost 21" which will be just above the largest part of the head. My best GUESS would be no larger than 22" and that will be tight (Most helmets only allow for 1 and a half inch variance, but I have seen up to 2") The dial feature was a little lower than I would like, but it does not dig into her neck and I am sure as she grows it will be in the right spot for her at 3 years old since it recommends that age anyways.

My suggestion to Schwinn - include actual head measurements with the description. Equestrian riding helmets ALL do and it makes purchasing a helmet less stressful.

On a superficial note - My helmet did not have the yellow tape sealant (it was pink) and I liked it even more. It also does not look giant even though she still can grow into it.

I am more than happy with my purchase!

Hope this helps!
33 comments236 of 243 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2010
Hands down, the adjustable band in the back of the helmet is the best feature I've ever seen on a child's helmet. There is a very easy to use turn-knob, which adjusts the band around the back of the head, so you can initially put the helmet on loose, then tighten it down to the point that your child can't remove it. It makes it very easy to put on your child, as it's hard to keep a toddler sitting still while you adjust straps, and somewhat difficult to put a properly adjusted helmet on your child due to how snug it needs to be.
0Comment78 of 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2012
I purchased this helmet based on the fantastic reviews! I noticed several people mentioning the straps only being glued to the helmet and the risk of them un-gluing over time. I decided to roll the dice and go for it. My daughter is 2, this helmet would probably only fit her for a small window of time.

BIG MISTAKE. The helmet arrived in perfect, unused shape. I put it on my 2 year old daughter and it was a little big. We decided we would wait a bit before we tried it again. About 1 week later I went to pick it up and noticed the interior cushion and back of the head support simply fell off. It became UN-GLUED!

I am terribly disappointed in the quality of this helmet. It's a Schwinn! They are the bicycle people! If they can't get a helmet strap right for a small child, then I urge caution on purchasing any of their other products.
review image
0Comment48 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2010
My daughter was not able to pull this helmet off her head due to the adjustable dial on the back. Love it.
0Comment41 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2010
I purchased this for my 3 1/3 yr old. She loves it. It fits perfectly using the dial on the back of the helmet. It stays on well, is comfortable, and the little visor on front is good for keeping sun out of her eyes.
11 comment34 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
Check the most recent reviews first, instead of the "most helpful." Maybe the quality has diminished in recent years, because I wanted to love this helmet like the reviewers did in 2010. It is adorable, and I figured with the adjustable size, my then 2-yr old could wear it for a few years. It fit great, she loved it, and then after about the third time we used it, the adjustable strap inside the helmet came unglued and fell apart. There is velcro on the inside and the velcro pieces that are supposed to stay attached to the helmet just pulled off entirely, leaving sticky gluey patches that stuck to my daughter's hair. The first time I noticed it, my husband had been supervising, so I thought maybe he had just done it wrong, and I ordered another one. The exact same thing happened within days of first using the new helmet as well. We have tried to put it back together, but it never stays. We're going to try a Rathskullz helmet next.
on April 28, 2014
I read all of the reviews and thought to myself, "if someone fit this on a five-year-old then surely it's what I'm looking for. All of the other reviews that said it was crazy small must have been mistaken for not using the helmet properly." nope. It fits my 11 month old and was not even close to properly fitting my three-year-old. I adjusted the dial out and I was able to secure it on his head by getting the dial snug, but it was sitting literally on top of his head. If he fell backward, the back of his head would hit pavement. It was definitely not a safe or proper fitting helmet. The package says that it is for ages 3+. No way. I will post a couple photos of the packaging and the helmet in my hands so you can get an idea for it. It looks like any other infant size helmet.
review image review image review image review image review image
0Comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2012
I put this on my 2-year-old daughter for her first ride in the bike trailer and half-way through the ride, the helmet literally fell apart. The part that tightens around her head and holds the helmet to her head is hooked to the actual helmet by double-sided tape and velcro. The tape that holds the velcro on, came off of every piece. There was nothing holding the helmet to her head anymore! Even if the tape didn't come off...I can't believe an important safety device such as a bike helmet is held together by TAPE!! This helmet is extremely dangerous and I would not recommend it to anyone.
on March 15, 2014
I really wish people would stop voting that negative review about size as helpful, it's a complete lie. I bought this for my 2 year old because of the review saying it was tiny. I decided to try it anyway, and you know what? She barely fits it. The package says 3+ years on it and they mean it. She can wear it as her head is almost 19 inches, but it would fit a 3 year old much better. I tried it on my 5 year old with a 20 inch head and it's snug but he can get it on. I'm buying a different helmet for him, but I was curious if he could get it on. I would recommend this helmet for average 3-5 year olds, and 2 year olds with larger than average heads.
Other than the fit being exactly what it says on the package, I would say it is very cute and I love the adjustment knob on the back, but the pads feel a little flimsy. We'll see.