Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 13, 2007
These robots are awesome! There are tons of ways to stack these guys - use all of them or just a few, make your "stack" symmetrical or not, use them upside down or sideways... Not only are the robots entertaining, they offer kids a playful way to develop spatial thinking and problem solving skills, and let them experiment with balance.

The robots are sturdy enough not to break when they fall (and they will!), but lightweight enough not to scuff hardwood floors or break a glass table (which I've unwittingly tried...).
review image
11 comment|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2010
My boys (ages 4 & 6)j ust got this toy. They love balancing the robots into various designs. They even act out scenarios with the little robots (good guys vs bad). Unfortunately, the robots are made out of MDF and are already chipping after one day of use. Why can't toy makers make quality toys. I'll pay the extra money for real wood toys! Now I'm going to have to ask the kids' grandpa to duplicate the robots with real wood using the jigsaw.
on February 8, 2008
This is the perfect toy for boys and girls of any age. I do not know who is having more fun with this, Mom, Dad, Brother, or Sister. Just when we thought that quality had flown out the window our family discovered these wooden stacking robots. Not only do we stack but we also line them up in different shapes to fall like dominoes. My son likes to stack them and knock them down. The down fall of this is that it chips the paint off. We knew that one box of nine was not enough, so we ordered four. Some may think that it cost too much for a box. We believe we got what we paid for, quality toy/tool that the family can share.
My son was so excited about this toy. He's crazy about robots. Unfortunately, the paint started chipping from day one. The next day I noticed it was not just the paint, but wood corners were chipping off everywhere. Cheaply made - especially for a toy that is intended to be knocked down! It's obviously a different toy than the one reviewers talked about years ago in these reviews. I wish they would go back to the quality product they used to have, because I would never recommend these to anyone with the way they are now.
VINE VOICEon October 10, 2011
Honestly, these can be marketed as something that toddlers can give to their daddies so they can watch us spend hour upon hour fascinated by these little stacking guys. My daughter (age 3.5) likes them inasmuch as she plays the Godzilla to my Tokyo. On the other hand, I, with my adult attention span, can spend hours trying different arrangements and patterns of stacking. probably the same gene responsible for my ability to watch Duel over and over and over again OK, the review...

What are they? These are a collection of identically shaped 'robots' (painted wood cutouts) that have symmetrical notches in their bodies that allow other robots to hang, balance, and stack on each other. The fun comes in realizing the many, many different ways you can stack them. It takes imagination, fine motor skills, and - dare I say - finesse to explore the various combinations. For the budding engineer, they also provide nifty lessons in gravity, balance, and leverage, depending on how you stack them

Pros:

* They are attractive - These 'robots' are really identically shaped wooden cutouts painted in bright, vibrant colors to look like proper robots, with all the attendant dials and gauges you would expect to see on a robot. The colors are bright and cheerful.

* They are durable - After many, many encounters with my resident Godzilla, these little stacking guys have not only held up, they still look almost new. One nice aspect to this toy is that the paint job can really take a beating without it affecting functionality in the least.

* They stimulate imagination and hand-eye coordination - Well, they do for this daddy, anyhow, unless you count the way a toddler will finely calculate the force necessary to do maximum damage as she stomps through my work. Joking aside, it seems to me that these would have a similar effect that puzzles do. Indeed, I enjoy watching my daughter turn these around to see how each notch will hold up the robot as it is placed on another. That is, when I allow her to play with them after my turn. Really, the beauty of these is that they stimulate the brain without the need for bells, whistles, or batteries.

* No batteries, No noise, Nothing to break or wear out - Unlike some other toys that eat batteries, or make terrifying noises in the middle of the night when they are supposed to be off (like the toy phone that ultimately met an untimely demise in my workshop one weekend) these stacking robots are simple and straightforward. I suppose they could break, but you'd have to beat one with a hammer to find out.

* Value - While I do think that the cost is reasonable to begin with, I also think that this ranks huge in the value department. There aren't many toys in our home that deliver the bang for the buck that this one has.

Cons:

* Age appropriate? I'm not exactly sure when my daughter will be more interested in building things than tearing things down, so it's a good thing these are tough toys. If you want the immediate gratification that comes with watching your child spend hours with his or her new toy right away, check to see where they are on the development curve. Or, if you are like me, get them these stacking robots early and enjoy watching that devilish glint appear in their eye as you begin to build your tower...

Other Thoughts:

These appeal to this reviewer primarily because they stimulate the mind without gadgetry. I'm no Luddite, mind you, but I do appreciate a break from the electronics sometimes. I appreciate their durability. I really, really like the fact that both daughter and daddy can enjoy this toy both together and independently. Fun, educational, durable, and inexpensive... and an easy five stars!
VINE VOICEon March 8, 2010
With all the video games and branded characters nowadays, classic building toys seem like a throwback to a simpler (better?) time. These Wood Stacking Robots are fun to play with but also teach useful skills like balance and spatial understanding.

Comes with nine colorful robots. The box includes seven designs to build. I wish the manufacturer's Web site provided even more.

I have noticed paint chipping from the edges, although that does not seem to bother the kids. Still, with lead toxicity too often a problem in toys from China, this could be a concern. And unlike the Bill Ding Balancing Clowns*, these Stacking Robots from Schylling are *not* tested again for lead here in the USA.

I think I would spend a few dollars more for peace of mind.

*Further research indicates these are a descendant of the Bill Ding Balancing Clowns:
Bill Ding : The Original Stacking Balancing Building Solid Wood Clowns!
Bill Ding Balancing Clowns Deluxe Set

UPDATE
I notified the company (Schylling) about the chipping paint, sent them photos, and they sent a replacement.
on August 21, 2007
I remembered a similar toy from my childhood and wondered how this one would be accepted by the next generation. Well, any concerns I had about it being considered boring and thrown aside were unfounded. It was a smash hit when it arrived yesterday and everyone is looking forward to playing with these guys and seeing what configurations we can get them to stack in. We even intend to buy one or two more sets so that we can really get things going!

This one is a classic -- very well made I might add as well.
on December 13, 2007
These robots are a set of 9. I recommend purchasing 2 to 3 sets. The simplicity of the toy is what I have found to look for when looking for a quality product. These are virtually indestructable, and have a lot of possibilities. The robots have grooves on the head, shoulders, feet, and hands to help them to link together. This item is way cooler in person when you see how easy it is. I bought these for fine motor development, and imagination. This is the best stacking toy that I have found on the market. You won't be disappointed. And I think that the age range would even hold interest of a ten year old.
on July 26, 2012
I bought these for my 2 years old who loves robots and as expected he loved these toys and played with them for hours right out of the box. Unfortunately after those hours of play I noticed that the paint was chipping. I wasn't thrilled about that, but figured he was knocking them down etc. so I guess I expected some scuffs. However, upon further inspection, I noticed that the "wood" was chipping. Come to find out it is not wood but MDF. At first I thought I was getting a great value for a wooden toy but now I feel that I over payed and was "under-informed" about the real material used to make these. He loves them but I wonder how long they will even last.
on January 2, 2008
I always search for unique gifts for the children in my life. Never really attracted much to 'lights and noise' toys. The stacking robots were a true gem and a huge hit with my 3 and 5 year-old nephews (I'll be buying more for my son's upcoming birthday). They take patience and creativity. Each robot is 4-5 inches tall and 1 inch thick. And they're pretty light so when they fall it's not real loud or damaging to floors, furniture, etc. A bonus...the back of the box has 9 different patterns to try ranging from basic to advanced. I wouldn't have ever found these or thought to search for them without Amazon's help. I narrowed my search by age and interest and was very happy to find these. Thank you!