5.0 out of 5 stars Static...or Dynamic?
Chevelle have done it again.
A very solid, interesting album from a band who is CONSISTENT!
Each album of theirs is very good, you know what to expect.
You can't please everyone, though. For a band that stays true to sound, "all of their songs sound the same."
Published on September 1, 2009 by Clancy

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...Not my favorite...
Published on September 1, 2009 by SmOkEd OuT

5.0 out of 5 stars Static...or Dynamic?, September 1, 2009
This review is from: Sci-Fi Crimes (Audio CD)
Chevelle have done it again.
A very solid, interesting album from a band who is CONSISTENT!
Each album of theirs is very good, you know what to expect.
For a band that drastically changes their sound (Linikin Park, Thrice, etc.), "I want another -insert 1st or 2nd album from said band." Not to say the evolved band doesn't still make good music. You buy their album expecting something similar to what made you buy their previous.

Bands just can't win. Chevelle is about as close as you can get to winning,though.
You get some of the rocking stuff, with a taste of the lighter stuff, and even some unexpected things.
So it comes down to this....do you want your bands staying the same?
Or, do you want your band ever-changing, leaving their core sound behind? I'll stick with Chevelle right in the middle.

Sci-Fi Crimes is lyrically their best, no doubt. Pete has a unique writing style that fits perfectly with the music. The album overall is their lightest to date, with still a good amount of punch.
This Type of Thinking remains their best, with Wonder What's Next behind. Not sure whether I like Vena Sera or SFC better yet. Track-by-track...

1. Sleep Apnea- Best hard track since The Clincher. Heavy guitar, strong melody, interesting lyrics. 10/10
2. Mexican Sun- This one took a while to grow on me. A heavier track, the chorus is a little awkward IMO, but the bridge is the best part for me. 8/10
3. Shameful Metaphors- Saferwaters-lite. Strong track all-around,the chorus is one of their best. Rumored to be a single, and it should be. 9/10
4. Jars- This album's "Well Enough Alone." Catchy track, but maybe I ruined it listening to it too much at first. A little repetitive, and just not that strong compared to the rest of the album. 6/10
5. Fell Into Your Shoes- This song reminds me of the end of Fight Club for some reason. This is also a grower, as is this album in general. I did not like it much at first, now it's a favorite of mine. The "experimental" track,for sure. 8.5/10
6. Letter From a Thief- I was expecting a lot from this track, and I wanted it to be a favorite song of mine. However, it's just pretty good. Solid, catchy, I wish it sounded a little heavier. I wanted it to be an angrier track. 6.5/10
7. Highland's Apparition- The best acoustic song of Chevelle. Good lyrics, solid overall. My least favorite, because I like my Chevelle to be heavy. 6/10
8. Roswell's Spell- This was originally just "Roswell." It should have stayed that way. Hits hard, has an awesome chorus, but the song tapers off towards the end. 7/10
9. Interlewd- Waste of song space. This made the 11-track album a 10-track, it's place towards the end of the CD...why, guys? No one likes intros,and no one likes interludes. If you put it on, fine, make sure I've got like 13-14 real songs to coincide.
10. A New Momentum- This was my 2nd or 3rd favorite on the first listens through, it has since dropped. Moderately heavy with some cool guitar and cachy chorus. 7.5/10
11. This Circus- "Of All Needs" was a stronger title choice,again. The best closing track by Chevelle, also a standout track with another very strong chorus. 8/10

iTunes Pre-Order
Sleep Apnea Acoustic- Very cool acoustic version of a heavier sounding song, and it works. Too short and the bridge is left out, but good.

Hot Topic/Shockhound Bonus Tracks

The Gist- Heaviest and most original guitar riff since Family System. You could mistake it for a Slipknot riff.
Unfortunately, another instrumental, and it could have been this album's most kickass song if it had some words to it. 9/10

Leto's Headache- Another bonus track ends up being a stand-out track. Awesome bass parts and guitar is stellar, should have made the original album cut without question. 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Evolution, April 24, 2010
This review is from: Sci-Fi Crimes (Audio CD)
Chevelle has done something remarkable. They have maintained their mainstream popularity while putting out excellent music and keeping their edge. While bands like Breaking Benjamin seem to lose their edge and become more radio-friendly, Chevelle is five albums deep into a catalog that has a lot to offer. I think they're one of the great "gateway" bands that can lead a radio listener to discover heavier music and start looking for bands who are too heavy or too "different" for the radio.

That being said, this is the first of Chevelle's records that takes a full step forward. I enjoy all four of their previous releases, but this is the most diverse and experimental record. It took a few spins for me to realize what a solid record it is as a whole. Chevelle fans who say they are disappointed with Sci-Fi Crimes were probably just looking for a consistently fast-paced, hard-hitting record, and I can't blame them - that's what Vena Sera was. But Sci-Fi Crimes features a variety of tempos, guitar parts, and vocal styles, sometimes all within one song (Shameful Metaphors). You have to listen to this record at least 5 times to really appreciate it.

After several listens, Sci-Fi Crimes may be Chevelle's best overall work to date. And this is coming from a guy who has worn out all their previous records. Pete's lyrics are more diverse than any of their previous records. One thing that may disappoint some fans is that melodic vocals are much more pervasive on this record, and there isn't much screaming. That's one of the reasons it has to grow on people, and this is coming from a hardcore fan. Chevelle is the lightest stuff I listen to, but this record is so strong that I don't miss the raspy screamed lyrics, which can be heard at a few points on the record. Lyrically, this is some of their best work as well. Meaningful, deep, and complex, but not intentionally cryptic like some bands.

And, lest people read this review and think this record doesn't hit hard, just check out the first track, Sleep Apnea, which quickly wraps itself around your head and squeezes.

Bottom line, this is vintage Chevelle with a twist - more maturity and variation, and offering a lot to the listener. That's why it requires several listens - you don't comprehend everything the first couple of times through. It's hard to describe the record - just go pick it up and enjoy.

Sleep Apnea (10/10) wraps itself around your mind and squeezes.
Mexican Sun (9/10) some great vocal parts.
Shameful Metaphors (10/10) driving guitar riffs, Pete shows off his vocal range.
Jars (8/10) is more typical Chevelle - the first single off this record, and a solid, radio-friendly track. Yes it's repetitive, but that's kind of redundant, because I said it's radio-friendly.
Fell Into Your Shoes (8/10) some of the best guitar work on the record, some fast chord progressions, but very melodic parts as well.
Letter From a Thief (9/10) starts off sounding like it's going to be a softer track, and quickly ramps up to a furious pace.
Highland's Apparition (8/10) is simply the best acoustic track Chevelle has ever written.
Roswell's Spell (8/10) It starts off pretty repetitive, and not very impressive but changes pace about just before midway through, and turns into a very solid track - the rest of the track has a completely different feel. It's this type of variation that's new for Chevelle on this record.
Interlewd - pretty pointless track, just a brief change-up and rest for the listener.
A New Momentum (9/10) - This track is more reminiscent of some of Chevelle's older tracks - I'm talking Point #1 and WWN. It sounds like it would fit in well on either of those records. Blistering guitars and vocals. Driving chorus that you can't help but sing to.
This Circus (9/10) - Changes pace, infectious chorus

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...Not my favorite..., September 1, 2009
This review is from: Sci-Fi Crimes (Audio CD)
First, let me say...I have been a fan since the first album and I have seen them live 6 times. That being said, I am just stating my true opinion about this album. In the past, it seemd like every album after that first one got better and better and better...etc. This album is my least favorite. Im not at all saying the album isnt good, b/c it is, its just my least favorite of all of them. If your a fan, you will enjoy it, but dont expect it to be as good as any in the past. There are no "Closure" or "The Red" or "Get Some" type tracks on this album. Its a decent album, they just went a different way with the music and vocals than they did in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly Chevelle, September 24, 2009
This review is from: Sci-Fi Crimes (MP3 Music)
Great album from a band that once again proves they continue to be a force in hard rock.

Chevelle delivers the goods yet again, and still manages to give longtime fans many new flavors to keep us excited. This band has an uncanny ability to please fans over and over with groovin thick driving tunes that practically leave you holding your breath for more. There are some notable changes in this album, but not so many that diehard fans are displeased and start looking for another band to fill a gaping hole. I do agree with the many critics that Sci Fi Crimes is not the best of their catalog, many assign that honor to WWN. I personally couldn't choose. I think Sci Fi Crimes lacks a flagship track with the quality, depth, emotion and hook of songs like Vitamin R or Well Enough Alone or even Clincher.

However Sci Fi crimes has a couple of stunning tracks like Sleep Apnea and This Circus both of which hit me hard on the first spin as more than worthy of their predecessors. Personally I love the changes. I didn't expect another WWN which is brilliant or Vena Sera, which is a truly addictive record. I kept wondering how they could even hope to match something near the level of their previous albums. But Sci Fi crimes truly displays that Chevelle continues to be a viable force in music and are still writing great, (if not the best) material out there right now. For me this album solidifies Chevelle as one of my all time favorite bands. And remains one of the few bands (if any) where I can put their entire catalog on shuffle (which I normally hate) and get excited as each song starts and sad as each song ends.

Highlights:

Sleep Apnea- The album opens with a strong force that boldly announces this is a Chevelle record and we're gonna move you. By many accounts, this is the strongest track on the album and certainly a favorite. It's chunky dense guitars remind you that this band can play it hard.

A New Momentum- Many of the bloggers out there like this song. For me it is much more reminiscent of earlier Chevelle like from Point #1. It is for that reason that I list this song as a highlight. I absolutely love Point #1 and the edgy raw sound the band had at that time. This track shows they are every bit the same band only better.

This Circus- This song hit me as my favorite track from the very first spin. It dabbles with some changes that make it more dynamic and therefore much more interesting to me. Not a favorite for everyone I realize that probably because it has that uncomfortable mood which I love, but approaching a bit of an artsy sound which makes it much more fun for me. The moment I heard it I stopped and played this track over and over even before spinning the album a second time.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Chevelle, September 1, 2009
This review is from: Sci-Fi Crimes (Audio CD)
Chevelle don't stray too much from the sound they have had basically since Wonder Whats Next. That in my opinion is not a bad thing, as at least all their cds and songs don't sound like one another, like groups such as Nickelback. Lyrically Sci-Fi Crimes is one of the better cds from Pete. Musically, the riffs are different enough, but the way the songs themeselves are arranged is very similar. Ok, so the first half of this cd is pretty solid. After "Letter From a Thief", the momentum from the first six tracks kind of falls off. "Highland's Apparition" and "Roswell's Spell" just don't really generate much excitement for me. The last two songs are decent, but I'm on the fence still on how much I really like them. Mind you, that this reveiw was written after only a few listens, so my opinion could still change about a song or two. Like most music, it takes time to digest what is being played.

5.0 out of 5 stars "...same as it ever was...yes!", September 4, 2009
This review is from: Sci-Fi Crimes (Audio CD)
There are but only a handful of bands within my music collection that I can honestly say never seem to let me down and Chevelle is most definitely one of them. When you listen to any one of their recordings you get what you paid for and they bring it tenfold. This newest accomplishment comes with all the punch that we have come to expect from this band. I have always marveled at how much sound this band produces with three people! The music seems to be layer upon layer of finely crafted hard rock and even though one song might sound like another...there is some simple arrangement that makes it different. With that distinctive chorus "yowl" you know you are listening to Chevelle and it is soooo friggin' good! (Do not copy bands CD's...it is their livelyhood and it's illegal!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-Fi Crimes Album Review, September 4, 2009
This review is from: Sci-Fi Crimes (Audio CD)
If you have heard any of the last three Chevelle albums, you will know that they are a major force in rock/alternative at this point in time. With the latest album "Sci Fi Crimes" they continue to use their own unique sound and pound out another excellent album. Chevelle has now put out four or five consistant albums that are nothing short of great music, the four or five depends on how you like their first album. In alternative rock, if you can consistantly put out four great albums and your band hasn't broken up, you are doing what a lot of bands just can't do these days. If you are a Chevelle fan, this is defintely an album to pick up and one that meets the criteria for another solid album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Their Last One, November 24, 2009
This review is from: Sci-Fi Crimes (Audio CD)
Upon first listen, got the "Meh" feeling. But after more listens, has grown on me (like their last one did). Wonder What's Next and This Type of Thinking hooked me from the start and are still my faves of the five. This album seems to have mixed elements of all their albums, while still progressing forward. And even if it is not their best, it still beats over half the crap out there touting itself as Hard Rock. If you are a Chevelle fan, trust that they are still heavy and vital. After a few listens for this one...

4.0 out of 5 stars What, Another Solid Release?, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Sci-Fi Crimes (Audio CD)
I like this album.....Plain and simple.

After thinking about it though, I really don't say that statement too often, as alot of the time new albums are over hyped or over saturated with production that typically turns me off, leaving me feeling a little bummed out, after expecting something more special.

Here we have an album, by a band that I respect, that is released kind of under the radar. Yes, Sci-fi Crimes had a single or two, and yes, the band has a great history with the billboard charts. However, it wasn't instantly praised as being the "best thing the band has done" or "going change the game", all of which are remarks that usually lead to dissapointment.

Anyway, getting back to the point, I heard the album was coming out, liked their other releases quite a bit, just hadnt heard them in a while, so I decided to pick it up and give it a shot. With out having any prior notion of how good, or bad the album was going to be. The result of the first listen, absolute enjoyment. Thats all you need to know.

The first track kicks off the album, with one of the best numbers they have written, and most all of what follows stays with the same standard, GREAT modern rock tracks (Chevelle Style) with a wonderful guitar tone, and an original sci-fi spin idea.

It seems to be a pattern that each Chevelle album contains one acoustic number, and this album is no exception. However, "Highland's Apparition" from this album is now my personal favorite, I'm a sucker for acoustic songs, Chevelle's have always been good, but this one takes it up a notch! Probably the highlight for me on the album.

So, in a nutshell, this album is a great listen, I'll be coming back to this album for a while, i can tell that, it's solid and actually quite fun to listen to! Highly Recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-Fi Crimes=Good Buy, October 18, 2009
This review is from: Sci-Fi Crimes (Audio CD)
Bands often say that their album is going to be different but yet not stray too far away from the bands core sound. Sounds like a difficult task to me, being different but yet the same. Chevelle have pulled that off in dramatic fashion on "Sci-Fi Crimes". Being a Chevelle fan since the early 2000's I've come to expect a certain level of quality from the band and I was not dissapointed in the least. Some songs sound like a mix between Vena Sera and Point #1, while others take a more experimental approach. Lyriclly it's as strong as any Chevelle album with the typical barage of deep metaphors, you as the listener can decide for yourself what the song is about and what it means to you. Pete's voice reaches new heights, with intensity, heartfelt notes, and the occasional/not so occastional scream. A track by track breakdown.
1. Sleep Apnea-Dynamite song to open the album with, aggressive pulse pounding hard rock we've all come to expect from the band-10 of 10
2. Mexican Sun-At first I was'nt sure what to think of this song. The lyrics are great but the chorus is a tad bit awkward. Deffinately a song that grows on you though-9 of 10
3. Shameful Metaphors-This albums "Saferwaters" Truly a song that must have deep meaning to Pete, he really puts a lot of feelings into his vocals on this one(Even more than usual). This song gives me chills when I listen to it. This should be the next single. Simply Amazing-10 of 10
4. Jars-First single off the album and a great pick IMO. I love the beat and how the song is bass driven-10 of 10
5. Fell Into Your Shoes-The most experimental of all the tracks. Lots of elements in this one that Chevelle Does'nt normally use. I like it-9 of 10
6. Letter from a Thief-one of my favorites great lyrics, melodic chorus, hard rocking. I think this song is about what Pete's been going through & dealing with being a rock star. Phenominal-10 of 10
7. Highland's Apparition-A chilling acoustic song. Pete's voice always shines on the acoustic tracks. Last album "Vena Sera" was missing the usual 1 acoustic track on every album. But they bring it back here to perfection-10 of 10
8. Roswell's Spell-The definitive title track from the album. "Does anybody really see anything?" those lyrics say so much to me, and so much as to what this album and Chevelle are all about-10 of 10
9. Interlewd-A short but sweet acoustic track. For the most part just one riff over and over. All instruments are in play though and I like it-9 of 10
10. A New Momentum-Great song. Pete's vocals are dynamic in this one. Shifts in the music bring a great feels to the song. you hear both "Point #1" and "Vena Sera" in this one.
11. This Circus-Great Song to end the album with, the way the music slowly dissapears at the end. Pete wailing to unique riffs & beats awesome-10 of 10
All in all this could be Chevelle's finest moment. They are inspired and on the top of their game. Any fan of Chevelle or Hard Rock should check this out.

Sci-Fi Crimes
Sci-Fi Crimes by Chevelle (Audio CD - 2009)