Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on December 18, 2012
There are a number of *free* webpages, tutorials and PDF's that explain numpy and scipy, at least one of them is longer than this 'book.' I am reviewing this booklet in light of those resources. It fails on two accounts:

As another reviewer has pointed out there are a number or errors in the examples (I suspect these are typos but for such a short booklet with so few examples there is no excuse for so many typos). Note, that I am not so picky about grammar errors - but lines of code are intended to be typed in verbatim. How frustrating it is to have error filled examples. [This is less excusable than grammar errors because bad code can be found so easily by actually trying it]

Further, this booklet doesn't have enough detail on these libraries to explain how and when one would want to use some of these algorithms and it is too long to be a cheat sheet for calling sequences (and outrageously priced for a mere cheat sheet). It is neither fish nor fowl so I do not recommend wasting your time or money on it. An internet search will turn up many explanations of both scipy and numpy you can find the details *and* cheat sheets for free.
on December 3, 2012
I've only read the chapter on numpy so far, but have noticed several syntax errors in the examples already. They will not work as written. You'd think in a book this short, they could do a better job of proofreading. I wouldn't suggest this book to a newbie for that reason and because I think he skips over some important details. Perhaps the book should've been longer and explained things a bit better. Despite those complaints, there is some good info in the book.
on December 6, 2012
First off, this short monograph is intended to give someone who is a newly intermediate python user the working knowledge of numpy and scipy modules. This is not intended to explore every aspect in detail. Python and its modules, in general, are "living" objects, thus things change making internet documentation the best choice for an in depth look at the inner workings. Ideally this is for someone who has worked with matlab, mathematica,etc and needs similar functionality in a python environment. One of the reviewers stated syntaxial errors, but I haven't noticed any yet. I do think the author left out another import module which is also used frequently along with numpy and scipy, matplotlib used for 2D plotting. However there are two good workbooks for beginners in both numpy and matplotlib:

NumPy 1.5 Beginner's Guide
Matplotlib for Python Developers.

I do think the price point for this text is too high, should be more around $10-12.
on December 26, 2012
As with a lot of the other reviewers, I was disappointed that this book is really just a short pamphlet, giving a sampling of what SciPy and NumPy can do. I had been on the waiting list for this for many months, and I think when I advanced purchased it it was going to be much more ambitious and longer. There was a long delay in getting this out and things may have changed, I don't know. In any case the book isn't bad, it's just misleading the buyer into thinking they are getting a real book when it isn't. Definitely not worth the $18 I paid for it, I think it would be better priced at $10 or so, and for the description to highlight the form factor of the book.
on December 2, 2012
The book isn't bad, but it's really short. I didn't notice before I ordered, but it's only 60 pages of real content.
on December 15, 2012
I have not completed the book yet. But as other reviewers mentioned, this book is surprisingly (shockingly) short. NumPy coverage is very minimal.

In general I am OK with the way concepts are introduced, and it is clear that the author has considerable experience in scientific programming, in Python. But coverage is simply insufficient, in my opinion.

There are also, couple of syntax errors. They are not critical, you can correct them easily, but after feeling kind of disappointed with the content, it just adds .. to the injury.
on May 20, 2014
This book is simply a man (manual) page. Lacks a lot of examples. I have online resources worth spending much time on than this book. However, if you want to carry it in your pocket to be present all the times, its worth a buy. Choice is yours.
on August 26, 2013
I use scipy and numpy on a daily basis and was hoping to find some tricks that I didn't know about.
It is pretty standard stuff found easily on the internet from a quick search.
on November 29, 2012
I am a 5-years python user. This book gives a brief introduction to Scipy and Numpy, the most important and useful python modules for me. This book is not a copy of documentations, but contains authors' experiences everywhere.
If you want to make something understood for some other people, the best way is to compare explicitly with other similar things, "Scipy and Numpy" told me.
on November 16, 2013
I checked this book out of the library to get a quick overview of NumPy so I could use it for linear algebra. The book gives a quite misleading explanation of this topic, and advises the reader to use arrays rather than matrices whenever possible because using matrices could cause bugs. The problem is that array multiplication is an element-by-element multiplication and not a matrix multiplication. As a result, much of the discussion in the linear algebra section is just wrong. If you want to use linear algebra in NumPy, be sure to use matrices -- it's arrays that will cause bugs.