Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Size: 3.5-Pound|Change

on July 7, 2013
I started using this food because my vet recommended it for my 7-year-old whose teeth need some love. Vet also recommended a fluoride, but you have to change the water for it every day and my cats avoid the water bowl with fluoride now so I skip it. My cat also does NOT put up with brushing his teeth, but he will eat this food, so it's what we do.

I like that this food comes in a resealable bag. Not good for the environment, but the bag is not paper, so my cats cannot shred through it to spill food everywhere, either.

Only thing I don't like is that the pieces are so big (and my cats are HUGE; biggest cat with teeth issues and the hungriest cat is 19 lbs). I think the point is that the cats have to break the pieces apart on their teeth, and that cleans them, but the issue is that my cats break the pieces apart, eat whatever didn't fall out of their mouth, and then move on to a new piece. At the end of the day, their bowl is full of these chewed apart bits that fell out of their mouth, and they won't eat them! It ends up wasting like 1/3 of the food. It might be saying more about my picky cats than anything else. "Oh, my bowl is full of bits instead of giant chunks! I will starve! Wake up and feeeeeed me!"
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2014
I have been using this for years, mixing it with my 3 cats regular food. After spending $300 on a teeth cleaning for 1 cat I figured there had to be something cheaper and easier than brushing their teeth. This cuts down on plaque TREMENDOUSLY and is $7 cheaper a bag than my pet store!
on August 1, 2015
Shortly after adopting our first cat, a 1 year old shelter cat named Felix; we headed to the vet for a physical and everything looked great, except his teeth. The vet let us know that he had some significant tarter build up and explained how the importance of good mouth hygiene is critical to a cat's overall health. Being a shelter cat, he has some mannerisms that cannot be changed no matter how hard we try. One of them is not being able to brush his teeth, or even get near his mouth without getting nipped at!

In addition to ordering products from Amazon, I frequently use it as a research tool too; relying on reviewers for their honest feedback. This is what prompted me to order this product. All I can say is I definitely made a wise decision (thanks fellow reviewers)!

Yes the food pieces are large however I believe this is part of the oral care claim. Felix gets the Science Diet mixed in daily with his regular dry food and he gobbles it up without any problem. I don't believe the size of your cat is relevant to the size of the food but this is just my opinion, Felix weighs 14lbs.

Felix recently had his annual physical and the vet was super impressed with his overall physical condition; especially his teeth and oral hygiene! Hill's Science Diet Adult Oral Care is now a staple in his daily diet, along with the Greenies Dental treats I also purchased from Amazon. Thanks for a great product!
review image
on June 1, 2013
And it definitely helps with the teeth... Now, if they only had a diet AND dental version. Cats are still too fat, but with clean teeth.
on February 24, 2011
Since Frisky no longer makes those great little round balls of Dental Diet cat food, I had to go looking for something else. Science Diet seemed to be the only likley alternative. My cats liked the different size and texture of the round balls but in their infinite wisdom Frisky (the nitwits) decided there wasn't a market for the product any longer. Fat lot they know. Our three cats don't love this "dental diet cat food" as much at the round balls but they do eat it along with their other food. I buy only grain free Orijen and another dry cat food intended for indoor cats. Our cats enjoy the variety and it does seem to work. The Science Diet has an almost greasy coating on the surface but this seems to draw our cats to it. The size and shape forces them to chew it and this is good for their teeth. We have one cat that loves to swallow his cat food without chewing. How he does it when it's dry, I don't know! I believe that the larger size alone means healthier teeth and gums for our cats. Two of our cats (9 yrs old) are of a breed that is known to suffer from gum diease. They have healthy gums. I believe that a dental diet cat food helps to prevent gum disease....and the larger size provides variety to their diet that they enjoy. Not everything a cat eats has to be 100% certified good for them. Can you imagine if we always ate only healthy food! Boring! If you provide a good quality dry cat food, plenty of water (we use a fountain), routine exercise (play with them!) and a canned cat food as a treat now and then....you will have healthy and happy cats.
on January 17, 2014
I love Hills Science Diet Oral Care foods. My dogs are on it as well. The cat food has larger than usual kibble size which is great. I can't see how this food can't be better for the cat's teeth than tiny size kibble, plus the formula of this Oral Care cat food helps with the health of the animal's teeth. Also the large size kibble keeps them from eating quite so fast.
on January 15, 2011
My cat loves this cat food so much that we feed it to her as treats. She has a tendency to get underweight so we feed it to her pretty much on demand (which is frequently). I'd recomend it for fussy cats with tooth tartar problems (the chucks are larger than normal cat food and presumably help to clean their teeth when they crunch it). I usually buy the larger size for economy's sake, but this would be a better size to try out on your cat.
on December 14, 2011
Have been using this cat food now for a few years after the vet recommended dental cleaning (very expensive & put them under anesthesia - no way!). Our cat is healthy and her teeth seem to be in good condition. She loves the taste and size. She won't eat any small food anymore (I have tried some samples) and actually eats all the Science Diet and leaves the small ones for me to discard. It's a bit pricey but I would recommend it.
on November 19, 2015
This product is "Meh". These are supposed to be made to force the cat to have to break up the pieces with her teeth. Although the kibble is large-ish, it was still able to be swallowed by my cat without chewing. The other thing is my concern over the wheat and corn products in the ingredients. While there is a decent amount of protein included (28% I think it was), I don't think carnivores should be eating these grain products and I believe they are a source of health problems in cats and dogs.
review image
I decided to switch my cat with the world's most expensive teeth to Hill's because the competitor's oral care dry cat food was getting more costly in smaller bags that after a couple of times trying to zip them closed, they didn't and the $$$ food would get stale, the cat would be a cat and turn his nose up and I would waste too much. A Royal pain!

Well, color me thrilled when I discovered that Hill's Oral Care was, per pound, less expensive, but their bags now close with Velcro! Cat loves it because it stays fresher; I love it because it's a better value for the same ingredients and because I can instantly close the bag. All good!