Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Modern Science and Philosophy Destroys Christian Theology 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Top Customer Reviews
Like most atheists, Truman (the author's pen name) takes shots at what many (but not all) Christians believe, but does not address the core claims of the Christian faith, which remain untouched by his critique. This gives the impression that he is not aware of the essential claims of the Christian faith, though he claims to have received theological training. I don't know the quality of theological education he may have received, but I would not question his claim to having received some such training. I have found that formal training--whether in theology or any other subject--can have a deadening effect upon logical thinking skills. It is too often the case that those who go through formal training for any profession learn, not how to think, but how to parrot the things that will get them through their courses and land them the professional status they hope to acquire through such an education.
This is not to say that higher education necessarily deprives a person of thinking skills--only that it does not necessarily produce (nor require) them in the student. Therefore, theologically trained pastors and scholars often affirm nonsensical things--things poorly thought-out, both by the student and by his professors (who were formerly students of the same kind as himself).
This is also true of scientifically and philosophically trained people.Read more ›
For the true believer (such as the one-star-review at the time of this writing) everything will be simply dismissed as 'lies'.
I think the person who might get the most from this work is one who is in the process of, or has recently left their religion. People with a new outlook are eager to explore every aspect of it, and might enjoy Smith's arguments- even if they're familiar with them.
I do have one specific point of input- in the section of neurology I would add what I think is an even stronger evidence against the doctrine of a human soul. That is some of the work done with people have had their corpus callosum split. Search youtube for "VS Ramachandran Split brain with one half atheist and one half theist".
Good one, Truman! You almost got me there! But I'm only giving you one star because it wasn't funny enough to make me spew milk out of my nose.
1. COVER: The spelling of the title is wrong. “Destroys” should read “destroy.”
2. DEDICATION: Why is it O.K. to quote Jesus saying “seek and ye shall find” if you later call him a liar and false?
3. Your pronouns are wrong. You switch from “one” to “they.”
4. Your punctuation and grammar is often wrong. I found 10 such errors in the first two pages alone and stopped counting. Please use “spell check” and have an English major read you material if you want to call it a professional manuscript.
5. Do you really allow to your kids to follow their heart and believe what you call a “magical” system?
6. So meaning is “not something to discover, but something to create.” That is nonsense. Atheists are free to give something whatever meaning they choose because they have no moral compass. This is amoral at its worst.
7. What is an “executive summary”?
Sounds like you are above us.
8. Who are “mainstream” Christians? Most church who call themselves “mainstream” today are liberals who have already conceded many conservative values such as inspiration and inerrancy. Don’t you really want to attack conservative Christians?
9. #1: BIOLOGICAL EVOLUTION: The fact that modern science says that there was “no first anything” proves nothing. They have the scientific burden to PROVE their statements. You ignore the fact that evolution is still only a working hypothesis; it is still the “theory” of evolution! It can only demonstrate diverse “speciation” “within a species.” It has yet demonstrated that one species can evolve into an entirely different species.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I bought this after speaking with the author who was, I'll admit, a really nice guy. He puts his arguments forward clearly enough, but only someone with a naturalist starting point... Read morePublished 19 months ago by JC Taiwan
In Modern Science and Philosophy Destroys Christian Theology, author Truman Ardent Smith poses cogent, common sense arguments even the most accomplished cherry picker can't ignore. Read morePublished on August 17, 2013 by Andrea
This booklet is a fine story of an individual who finds his way from mainstream religion. It could be of value to someone going through the same process, though I find the website... Read morePublished on July 4, 2013 by Charlotte Dungan
I personally got a lot out of reading Truman's booklet. I recently left a New Age Cult Religion which was very controlling. Read morePublished on July 1, 2013 by featherb
Truman Ardent Smith's booklet, "Modern Science and Philosophy Destroy Christian Theology", first edition, is a clear statement of atheistic, anti-Christian perspective. Read morePublished on June 24, 2013 by David V. McCorkle
This very brief treatment of Christianity offers sufficient reasons to dismiss Christianity, but lacks the depth and rigor of other sources out there. Read morePublished on June 4, 2013 by Phil C. Stilwell
I discovered Mr. Smith from an online debate and his passion for truth really made me an instant fan. His points in this Booklet are very valid and strong. Read morePublished on May 23, 2013 by Kevin Ryan
This booklet is basically a quick introduction into atheism. It's short, approximately 30 pages, and it covers some of the more reasonable arguments as to why Christianity is,... Read morePublished on May 18, 2013 by M. Lupton