on March 18, 2010
I actually read this book for the first time many years ago. In fact - it was when my daughter was very young - so say 22 years ago. I liked it - and remember getting some good information from it; but before reading it again recently I had no idea just how much I got out of it!

I bring up my daughter because I'm very proud of her --- she never went through things like the "Terrible Twos" - and those horrible moments I've heard and seen so much of --- the "generation gap" where it seems like parents and kids speak different languages and tend to simply fight a lot. Then there are the infamous "rebellion years" that "all kids go through". My daughter never had any of those periods that drove some of my friends crazy - and worse, having their kids end up on drugs - or worse. I just put it off to - who knows..... she was special? I did something right maybe?

Well - what I realized when I reread the book was that as she was growing up I used a LOT of the information I got from Science of Survival. Believe me, I didn't get the whole book when I first read it. But, one of the key factors I got was that you never, never, never try to get through to someone or have a sane conversation with anyone who's "dramatizing" and as you'll read in the book - low on the Tone Scale. If a person is upset -- (simple rule of thumb) you won't get anywhere! So, I actually talked to my daughter only when she was herself - not running around, screaming, throwing tantrums, etc. It's obvious you're not talking to her --- she's too wrapped up in some upset. Those things did happen of course. But once I started using this data, it was very rare - and then there were none. She knew from our conversations when she was herself that nothing good comes of trying to have a conversation when either one of us is upset or mad or crying or whatever. So, if that happened I'd remind her of that and let her know I was there for her when she came out of it. It was miraculous!

Also - a very simple but very powerful thing I also learned from this book is that you never never never validate those times when a child (or adult for that matter!!) is upset. Why? because then becoming upset means you'll get validation - or candy - or an OK to watch TV - or a new bike --- whatever! My daughter knew that she wouldn't get anything if she threw a tantrum or even "demanded" it in some misemotional way. But, man she was well rewarded when she would sit down with me and just talk about whatver it was she wanted. Was our relationship all a bed of roses??? No - but I'm telling you, I couldn't ask or hope for a better relationship with my daughter.

So - long story; but when you find some bit of information that's that simple, and that powerful - you have to tell others. Do I recommend the book? Absolutely! But one thing -- there's a LOT of information in the book. I tend to just grab a few points of things that make sense to me and then use them. Boy did I get the right points - and somehow used them correctly.
on September 2, 2012
This book came out about a year after Dianetics, and while that was basically a small text that was padded out to be a huge manual, this book is not nearly as repetitive. To me this is L. Ron's best self-help/non-fiction work because it is pretty much all you need to understand the basics of his whole world view. Also, written at a time when he was exceptionally lucid and sane, it actually makes sense! The tone scale is something that Hubbard developed which I think is a useful and informative way of understanding human behavior - it's not the only tool I use but to ignore the information in this book because of its associations would be a shame.

(I'd read it with a dictionary though, merely because L. Ron tends to use a ton of jazz-cat slang that was old fashioned even by the time he wrote this in the 50s...)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As there is so much misinformation about Scientology (read the one and two star reviews for a real laugh) I wanted to write a brief book review. Unlike other low star reviewers who complain about the author, I will actually use the book:

First off, this new edition now has larger print and brighter paper for us old guys who need to read with bifocals. And the glossary and defined words are all in the back rather than as footnotes, which reduces the clutter. Good job on that.

What's not changed is the original premise of Hubbard's self-help books: that something can be done about the human mind and that anyone can use these data without a psych degree. In fact the book is subtitled The Prediction of Human Behavior and it certainly does that.

The acknowledgement page was sobering: "To 50,000 years of thinking men, without whose work Dianetics could never have been formulated -- the credit is theirs, not mine -- LRH".

The book is divided into two "Books". Book One The Dynamics of Behavior is based on a fold-out chart.

Each chapter summarizes and expands on the info on each column of this chart. Example: Column P "Sexual Behavior and Attitude Toward's Children" is then followed with a Chapter of the same name. What makes kids tick? How is your emotional reaction to sex talk an indicator of future behavior?

Column W, "Persistence on a Given Course" is followed with the chapter of the same name. Are you persistent or do you give up on your goals easily? Especially useful for me was the chapter "Method Used by Subject to Handle Others".

Book Two gets into handling people who want help with Dianetics, what a practicioner needs to watch for and so on. Book Two is especially useful to those who have already read the Dianetics book and want more info on helping others.

Even here, you can glean data that helps you with employees, friends, smart guys, shy girls, etc., etc.

An expanded index, glossary and appendix section rounds out its 679 Pages!

You could read the whole book or jump around to areas where you may need help or are simply curious. Good book for psychology majors and those wanting an alternative view.

happy reading!
on January 2, 2009
It is not how much can I say about Science of Survival, it is, do I have enough time to write a review. The success is ongoing. Its success can be seen in every one who has read this book; how are their interaction as theta with MEST, the command over their environment and how do they handle another individual. The Hubbard Chart of Human Evaluation provided a complete description of the behavior patterns of an individual at any given emotion. By knowing a few characteristics of a person, I have learned to know their entire personality, behavioral pattern and character.

This book has taught me the dynamics of human behavior I may have never learned in my entire life. It clearly teaches the prediction of human behavior that is beneficial for survival for my self and others. The Tone Scale in The Hubbard Chart of Human Evaluation is a great tool not only for auditors but for individuals in the position of power of hiring personnel, in relationships, in schools dealing with scholars from kindergarten to college, a tool that helps me or any single person for that matter choose a lover by knowing their tone level and many, many more fields of life. It has helped me in dealing with my family and friends in my personal life by understanding their Tone Level and lowering or increasing mine. Nothing in my previous scholastic studies compares to knowing the human behavior as in The Tone Scale of the Chart of Human Evaluation. A world of thanks to LRH is not even sufficient. This is just Book One.

Book Two covers Dianetic Processing and again how much time do I have to write what I have learned about Dianetic Processing. Before my course on Science of Survival I had completed Dianetics and now I feel I am complete. Put together, Dianetics and Science of Survival now makes sense. IT MAKES SENSE TO ME.

What can I say about Dianetic Processing?
After learning new types of processing such as Straight Memory and Lock Scanning in this book, I ask my self, where is the end of auditing in Dianetics? There is an end I think if one is Clear. However, that would not be an absolute end of processing. As per LRH, there are no absolutes in Dianetic Processing, i.e., infinity-valued logic, I feel there is no absolute end to the success for survival for any human being, just success and greater success, all to conquer, nothing to lose. What more do we want? Do we want to become a millionaire but live a life with full of enturbulated theta and not know Dianetics? That is not success, but accessorized success only in the eyes of another enturbulated theta.

After the completion of Science of Survival course, I have had to kick myself in my head to jump start my goals. I have not worked as hard as I should have on goals when I completed Dianetics. My goal is to advocate the "miracles of LRH technology" as I personally can witness these miracles and to free as many thetas as possible for total spiritual freedom.
I am hoping to post a blog on the internet and write a review on this book on Amazom.com and Google.

What can I say about my completion on the course Science of Survival? This page only summarized my 15 percent of my success. The other 85 percent can only be described by showing my increased success in dealing with people at work, with my teenage daughter, my boyfriend who is also a scientologist, my success in dealing with his ailing parents and his family and most of all my own family overseas.

Knowing Science of Survival and Dianetic Processing is not humbling. It is a gift that keeps on giving.
on January 14, 2013
This book was mind-blowing. It explained so much about human behavior, how people are going to act, who I can trust, and so much more. I learned, for example, exactly how an angry man is going to act in certain situations, how he will talk to others, how he will handle truth, etc. After reading this book, I know how to deal with people very well. No matter who you are or where you live, you'll be dealing with people, and this book tells you ALL about them. I highly, highly recommend this book.
on April 30, 2015
This book is the key to success because if you understand and can handle people of all varieties you'll get whatever you want. The Hubbard Chart of Human Evaluation is priceless. To be able to use this is the most valuable skill you can have I believe.
on February 16, 2013
Since I read this book, about 8 mouths ago, I have to admit it. This book gives a whole new understanding on human's behavior.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2015
Terrific! L. Ron Hubbard has written an excellent insight and guide to human behavior. I love the tone scale that comes with the book also. A must have book for anyone studying human behavior!
on June 11, 2015
This is a very high level vocabulary book. I got through it but literally had to look up 100s of words to fully grasp what was being presented. But using what I learned is pretty cool.
on March 14, 2010
This book is about predicting human behavior. If you ever plan on having a relationship, an employee, or a friend you really should look them up in this book. It has a chart where you can find others (and yourself) regarding your basic "emotional tone" and it is super interesting to look up yourself and find people you are working with or wondering about.