Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on February 27, 2010
My eight year old is entering his first science fair, thus we have been experimenting with various potential projects. I bought him this kit for some ideas. The experiments, and our results:

1. Telegraph. This BARELY worked. By that, the paper clip telegraph clicker (which was supposed to 'tap' the head of a nail) hardly moved at all. No clicking, just a slight movement.

2. Light Flashing Generator. This appeared to be the easiest invention, and the one my son was most excited about. However, I was provided an incorrect part as the light bulb holder displayed in the instructions looked NOTHING like the one in the box, and there was **no way** to transfer electricity to it. Thus this did not work at all.

3. Radio. As with all the "inventions" I followed the instructions to a tee. We spent close to an hour putting this together exactly per the instructions, and of course it did not work. Then again, I really did not think we would make a radio out of toilet paper rolls and alumninum foil.

4. Motor. This one we actually got to work, and it was very cool. Of course we had to deviate quite a bit from the instructions to get it to work.

The instructions are sorely lacking. It is mainly pictures with instructions that state, "Build the telegraph like this" pointing to the fully built telegraph (as an example).

If you are looking to purchase some science experiments for your child, I would not recommend this at all. Instead I would go with the Mythbusters series, which actually work.
44 comments|252 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2009
Although the age range for this kit is from 8 to 80, I thought I'd try it for my highly intelligent, six year old who desires to be a scientist. Probably not a good idea for most. ..which I learned. This kit requires a lot of fine motor skills--which most 6 year olds haven't fully acquired. I ended up having to do most of the work. Also, if you do end up purchasing this, I'd suggest two things: 1)remember to twist the ends of your wires. I had to discover this on my own ;o( 2) always read ahead. The directions aren't written for step by step configurations. More than once we had to take apart something because step 2 (or 3, or 4, etc)told us to do something unexpected. Also, we could not get everything to work. . .even after getting replacements.

On the bright side. . .My son absolutely loved the things that worked!! And even though he couldn't do the advanced things, he was really able to understand how the inventions work. Also, when I contacted the company, they gladly sent replacements.

I would still order from this company because their science kits offer a wonderful knowledge base for children, adults (& teachers).
0Comment|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2009
My 9 year old son was amazed at the results he got from each experiment. He would just light up with each successful outcome- which is easy to achieve with the instructions. This has been a great learning tool for him.
on January 2, 2012
I purchased this kit for my six year old daughter who is in love with all things science. We enjoyed making the projects together and she was able to help with most steps. All of the projects worked well and overall I would say it is a great kit. My daughter can't wait to try the other kits too!
on January 13, 2009
My highly intelligent 5-year old has been asking if we could help him do "experiments" for just under a year now, so when I saw this kit I thought it would be a great Christmas gift. I was pleased to find that I was correct. The instructions are illustrated, clear and easy to follow and most of the steps in the experiments were able to be performed by my son, save the more precise and delicate ones.

Upon successfully building the working motor in the first experiment, I could hardly restrain him from proceeding on to the next.

After having completed all experiments, he has now gone back and reproduced a couple of them on his own and is asking for more experiments to do. We will definitely be buying more of the kits from ScienceWiz!
11 comment|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2013
My sons and I spent over 4 hours (so far) working the experiments in this book.

They enjoyed this tremendously.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on May 15, 2008
I purchased this package for a 2nd grader who is "stoked" on science. We had a great time learning about the projects, recording the steps and observations (important, but not included in the package), and enjoying the results. There are lots of parts, so be careful that you don't lose any of them (e.g., Schottke diode).
on February 15, 2013
This is a great gift to get you involved with your child! There are alot of things to do in the kit. This is a much better use of my grand-daughters time. These kits teach them the love of science.
on December 13, 2012
The product doesn't work well. Though the instructions were clear, the actual ending product didn't work at all. I was disappointed at the product. I tried all the "inventions", but most didn't come out right. I don't recommend buying this product. It's a waste of money.
on December 2, 2015
We purchased these science kits to do with my nephews. They are 8 and 11. The kit contains almost everything you need to start getting inventive. Kids will be able to learn how to make a radio, work a small motor, and more. This is a very hands on kit, but has videos/directions you can access on the internet, as well as the full book that comes with it. It is missing batteries, and you will need to have them. Consider ordering more than one kit if you have more than one child, or you want to do a kit with them.