5.0 out of 5 stars Desi
I purchased this for my son's science project last year. Believe or not, he came in first place. He demonstrated how solar power can be used and how it is not a reliable sorce of enegy (during certain wheather conditions). He came in forth place at the county level.
Published on October 21, 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap parts: 1886978050 Amazon order #
Published on June 7, 2012 by R. Hart

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap parts: 1886978050 Amazon order #, June 7, 2012
R. Hart (Wabasha, MN, USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: ScienceWiz / Energy Experiment Kit (Paperback)
Most of the wires are only 2 hair-size strands. My 9 yr old mentee had difficulty inserting wire in motor terminal holes. Wires likely to break. A larger solid wire would make threading the motor terminal easier. LED light was missing so we did not make a vinegar battery. Base of battery powered car is very flimsy (we will glue a popsicle stick under it to prevent buckling), but the car worked very well. Solar powered propeller worked very good when sun came out, and any shadow stopped the prop. Good educational experience about power of sun. Solar cell produced 0.56 volts DC in bright sun. Prop would not turn under a kitchen spot light. We had difficulty identifying the large capacitor. A small switch between solar cell & motor would help.

We had a good time Energy Wiz: The Race to Save the Planetgetting started with this kit. Guide book is very helpful listing parts. My mentee has younger brother & sister, so he did not take it home. Followed the warning about small parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Desi, October 21, 2011
A Kid's Review

3.0 out of 5 stars The cover and ingredient are different, July 24, 2012
J. Huang (Sunnyvale, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ScienceWiz / Energy Experiment Kit (Paperback)
I bought this for my son, 3th grader. He chose it by looking at the box cover. When he received it, it disappoints him. He was expecting the box ingredient would be the same as cover.

The information about physics and solar are good. But my son got bored after a while I explained to him. I think it has too much info for him. Half of the parts look very CHEAP. That is one reason which loses attraction. But the motors and the capacitors are really good. I think it could have been improved to be more attractive to kids.

In summary, it is more like lab experiment kits. If it can be improve to attract young kids like my son. But anyway, the cover needs to be changed. It looks like false advertisement.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for a 5th grade science project, May 30, 2011
This review is from: ScienceWiz / Energy Experiment Kit (Paperback)
My son picked this for his 5th grade science project. It was a great kit with instructional book and all supplies needed for the project. We completed the project and it was super easy due to this kit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very balanced, September 30, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: ScienceWiz / Energy Experiment Kit (Paperback)
The pamplet does a good job of explaining what energy is, energy state (kinetic and stored), energy cannot be created or made, etc. The project building part of the book is misleading. Only one project can be built at a time because the parts are reused and the picture on the front is not one of the projects at all. The solar cell does work well and is a good demonstration of solar energy conversion.
The rest of the pamplet is very one sided and presents a negative picture of Hydroelectric, Fossil Fuel, and Nuclear power. Dams kill fish, fossil fuels pollute the environment and kill people, and no one should ever consider nuclear. It also implies that all energy needs can be met, TODAY, with solar and wind. It does not paint an accurate picture of either side of the energy debate. I realize that this book is geared toward children and written at their level, but it comes off as propoganda.
I was looking for a book about ENERGY education, not a political call to action.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Educational, November 18, 2011
L. M. Perkins (Cortland, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ScienceWiz / Energy Experiment Kit (Paperback)
This product really helped my 10 year old son gain an understanding of circuitry. BEWARE though, the wires do get hot and smoke if they cross or stay hooked up too long. Highly reccomend with some parently supervision.

1.0 out of 5 stars I added the super capacitor and was only able to get 1 run, December 8, 2014
This review is from: ScienceWiz / Energy Experiment Kit (Paperback)
I am unhappy with this project. My son had to use the kit for his Science Project. After much testing, we figured out the solar cell didn't work. I got a hold of the company and they sent new solar cell. The solar cell worked for a couple runs. I added the super capacitor and was only able to get 1 run. I removed the solar cell and just used a battery. That worked for 2 trials than the super capacitor ceased to work. We were unable to get the trials for his data chart complete. It was an exhausting and frustrating experience. I will never buy this product again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, July 12, 2014
Came all broken

1.0 out of 5 stars Energy Projects, April 27, 2014
This review is from: ScienceWiz / Energy Experiment Kit (Paperback)
We ordered the solar car for a 3rd grade solar energy experiment. We did 10 reps on a 2 m course with a stop watch so we could create a speed baseline at 10, noon, 2 pm, 4 pm, and 6 pm. We used weights and the mirror at 4 and 6 pm. Controlling for experimenter variation took some practice and learning by father and son (age 9). The problem with this experiment is that the components of the car have no means of attaching security. My son used scotch tape but the wires connecting the solar panel to the motor frayed and were insecure. The motor moved around with the slightest touch. The firmness with which the motor engaged the left axel gear varied with multiple runs. So it is impossible to know what variations in time were caused by the directness of sunlight or the slight shifts in of the wire, motor, or pressure on the gear. As science, this experiment sucks. As a learning opportunity, it a learning opportunity about the importance for controlling for experimental errors, it had some value. The preliminary experiments fascinated my son and the booklet had value. But Norman & Globus Inc. need to find a way for the wires to connect better and a better system to connect the components. They will not be able to promote so many experiments in one package so their promotions will be less persuasive but their potential science would be enhanced. Neither my son or I would recommend this kit as currently constructed. M and Dad

5.0 out of 5 stars Great educational play., January 31, 2014
This review is from: ScienceWiz / Energy Experiment Kit (Paperback)
My grandchildren love that. It helped them to understand and appreciate the science. It is easy to work with that kit.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›