Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on October 24, 2001
Scooby fans have been fortunate through the years to have good people (Warner Bros & Hanna & Barbera) take care of Scooby Doo. When I first saw the title to this movie, I was worried that Scooby might be burned with a over hyped technical movie to match the times. Boy was I
wrong! This latest and greatest adventure is another well written and original story. This adventure may be as close to the original atmosphere of the TV original series than the previous full length animated movies. The storyline seems to have a bit more comedy worked into it. Well my kids love it and I have seen it twice now and enjoyed it. I have said it before and will say it again "Scooby is an American icon".
Stephen
on October 15, 2001
Okay, this is the first Scooby DVD purchase I had reservations about making. I'm a cartoon artist, and I buy animation for myself, because it's a medium that's dear to me. That said I was very afraid this would be a 75 min. commercial for the Scooby video game, and therefore only watchable for someone under 5. Instead it was wonderful! The story has a great deal of action, without being really scary. So those of you with more impressionable children should have no problem this time. In that respect, this release is more like Alien Invaders. Unlike Alien Invaders all the characters are given a chance at center stage, and the interplay between them continues to be built upon. (Including the Daphne and Freddie relationship, which is sweet.) Everyone gets a moment to shine, and a chance to be the butt of a joke. So, no matter which character is your favorite, you get a chance to cheer and laugh for them. This outing isn't as musical as the first ones, but the fun, humor, and character balance are so good that it makes up for that. The new voice of Daphne (Grey Delisle) is terrific, and fits in quite well. I've always liked BJ Ward as Velma, and I think Scott Innes is good as Scooby and Shaggy. Frank Welker, who has voiced Freddie since the original series, seems to especially be having fun in the new movies, and has a couple of my favorite moments in this one. The plot is pretty straight forward, the gang are to have a video game made after them by an old friend. When they arrive, everyone has been scared by the appearance of a nasty virus that's escaped from the game. While trying to get the baddie trapped back in the game, the gang is "accidentally" transported into the game with him. Now the only way to escape is to beat all ten levels and the Phantom Virus! At the same time they need to figure out who programmed him (which you will probably know from Level 1, but it makes it easier for the little ones to figure out.) Along the way they have to outwit all manner of video game baddies, and in the final level they meet their computer game alter egos. Not to mention villians from the old Scooby Doo Show. This time they aren't programmed to be unmasked! Also, be sure to remember that when the credits roll there is still more to come. There is a special bit at the end where each of the gang tells his or her favorite part about making the movie. Those are hilarious! The extras contain a terrific "making of" documentary. The best of those to date. Watch it after the movie.
on January 8, 2002
My criteria for Scooby shows are: the original gang, no Scrappy, no "real" monsters, and no real terror -- too silly and funny to be genuinely scary. That is, as much like the original series as possible. The biggest downfall of the new Scooby movies is that in every one at least some monsters are real, and some like "Witch's Ghost" and "Zombie Island" try to be genuinely scary. On that score, "Cyber Chase" is helped by the fact that most of the "real" monsters are "real" only inside the computer game. Given the real monsters, "Cyber Chase" gets my vote as the best (i.e. better than "Alien Invaders," "Witch's Ghost," and "Zombie Island" -- though "Alien Invaders" ranks second in my book). The movie is FUNNY, especially seeing the gang meet their "old" cyber-selves. Each member of the gang gets a chance to shine, which is nice. The music sequences are good: catchy tunes and funny. It's also fun to see the "old" gang drawn like in the original series without whites or pupils in their eyes.
The movie is sort of a "Scooby Doo meets Tron", and the allusions to "Tron" are amusing.
My 3 1/2 year old son loves Scooby Doo, and especially this movie. It's good enough that I don't mind watching it with him, and it's not scary so as frighten him, which is important to me.
on October 30, 2001
Great flick!!! The grandsons adore this movie; watched it four times in one day and laughed and giggled and cheered. Since our boys are into computer games, the theme of the video was perfect and they easily understood the "levels." They especially liked Daphne's display of martial arts - Go, Daphne! The game concept of the video provided an opportunity for a variety of situations which maintained the interest level. Having the ever popular Scooby Snacks in the "game" and seeing some of the monsters of the past pursue the gang provided a good bridge between the past adventures and the present environment. This video was a good investment; hope to see more of this quality.
on April 13, 2005
This was pretty cute and funny, really if I could have I would have given it 3.5 stars, but there's not half star rating here.

All in all, it was well put together.. had the vein of fun from the old Scooby Doo cartoons I grew up on. The various worlds they visited during the adventure added to the story and kept you from getting bored of one scenario. I freely admit, I am more partial to the older ones.. they just seem a little more solid to me than the current ones, but overall I think this is good for kids to watch, they would have fun with it and learn a few things along the way.
on May 1, 2011
Cross Neuromancer with In the Mouth of Madness, add a little bit of Tron, Terminator, and set it in the Scooby-Doo universe and you pretty much have the basis for Cyber Chase.

The Mystery Inc. gang go visit a college friend who has made a video game based on their exploits. But instead of enjoying the novelty they are terrorized by an entity born of a computer virus who has entered the real world. The gang are beamed into their own video game (called Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase) and are forced to play through the levels in order to catch the virus (so to speak), eventually encountering their digital selves and digital versions of classic villains from the past. Sharp viewers will recognize Cyber-Shaggy's alternate costume from The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo: The Complete Series and Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf.

It's very clever, with loads of potential, most of which is not realized with the brisk run-time. At least you'll never get bored. It's certainly one of the most subversive and mind-bending Scooby adventures. A video game arcade featured towards the end of their titular Cyber Chase even features the Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase video game, thus making it self-referential meta-fiction within self-referential meta-fiction within self-referential fiction. Phew...get your head around that. And if that wasn't enough, it's the only Scooby-Doo animated feature to spawn its own real video game (for the PlayStation and Gameboy Advance), which would make that game self-referential fiction within...oh man, I'm getting dizzy.

Smart and tightly-written, Cyber Chase's lack of scope is the only thing preventing it from being a classic.

The Blu Ray looks great in 1.33:1 1080p, with colors so bright they literally pop off the screen. The sound is in DTS HD-MA, and there are a couple of minimal extras. Stay watching until the end of the credits for an extra scene.
on October 26, 2001
I thought this title was pretty good, though it wasn't as good as Zombie Island, which is still the best of the new movies they've been putting out. The humor in this film is great. And it's a throwback to the episodes. If you like Scooby-Doo, check this title out. I think you'll like it.
on July 15, 2005
On the Feature (4/5):

Just another 1 hour long episode of "What's New Scooby doo?"; Still it has a great comeback to all this so-called "digital era", the musical interludes' timing is just perfect, as they avoid us watching how they manage to progress on all the 10 levels (all of them seem almost the same.

But the best of all the movie comes after the movie credits,a 10 minutes Behind the Scenes, as if all of them were real people. Fun and really clever.

On the DVD Edition (3/5):

A pretty short behind the scenes look at the making of the movie; a wonderfully created muscial videoclip named "Scooby and Shaggy love to Eat" you can imagine what's it about. And the teaser. Pretty goo, though.
on July 25, 2015
Growing up watching Scooby Doo shows it is probably not a surprise to anyone that knows us that we purchased this movie. What IS surprising is that it took us so long to actually get it. Being as old as it is I am rather surprised I hadn't come across this in the past. Randomly searching for a different show, we came across this and my oldest kiddo begged me to get it. I was very hesitant because of the age, but seriously... there aren't too many of the Scooby shows that we don't like. It took an extra day or two for it to ship for some reason, but we got it quick enough and the kids have wanted to watch it every day for the last week. I hid it for a while thinking they might ask to watch something else for their TV time but they didn't forget about it!

The show itself only has one of the original voices (Fred) from what I can remember. That's not really that surprising seeing that the original show was from so long ago. I have personally been used to Shaggy having the same voice (Casey Kasem) for so long that I thought he would have been in this one since it was so old. Unfortunately, he was not... and the guy who does the voice for Shaggy (and I think Scooby) doesn't quite get it in my opinion so it took me a bit to adjust to the voice changes for them. Perhaps since he plays both characters it just seemed like he was ALWAYS talking and that might have been what annoyed me the first time I watched it. On the second time around I was able to ignore the different voices better and pay attention to the actual plot and it was really entertaining! I was very shocked when it came up to some of the old monsters that they had previously defeated and I actually remembered who they were! Seeing the new character versions next to the original characters was pretty funny, too.

As an adult, I found the movie entertaining enough to watch once or twice with the kids. I may not have purchased it if the kids hadn't wanted it. However, the fact that it brought in some of the old show was good enough to have seen it no matter what... kind of mixing the old with the new. It really ended up being a decent movie which surprised me from some of the negative reviews. In fact, we bought another one of the older movies based on their review saying they liked it better and we ended up liking this one better. It's all about personal taste and this particular movie was a great hit in our family.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2006
If you follow my reviews, you know that I really liked "Zombie Island" and "Witch's Ghost" and "Pirates Ahoy." I felt "Aloha Scooby Doo" and "Where's My Mummy" were strong runner ups. I have some respect for "Loch Ness Monster." "Alien Invasion" and "Monster of Mexico" had their moments. Of all Scooby's movies, I like this one the least.

Moving on, Scooby and the gang go to meet a friend at the university. After a somewhat tense moment with an uptight security guard, they meet their friend Eric, his friend Bill, and their professor. Eric and his friends at the school explain the existence of a phantom virus (that we already met). And we are told that someone must have created it. Many sparks of Scooby's former days are gone, and even the appetites of Scooby and Shaggy don't bring the laughs they once did.

Well, Scooby and the gang get zapped into Eric's video game. While this may work for some, it doesn't work for me. (Perhaps I am too old school Scooby.) To be sure "Zombie Island" crossed the bounds of plausibility, but the difference is ZI, but the major difference is that ZI kept the story as plausible as possible for some time, and then gradually introduced the non plausible elements. It is often a challenge, but it can be done. (It just isn't in this 4th chapter.)

On the plus side however, this enables the gang to go through a series of different adventures while we wonder who zapped them in. Sadly, another mistake is that it is SO OBVIOUS who zapped them in even on the 1st adventure. Call me a perfectionist, but they could have at least waited until the 2nd or 3rd level before they gave any clues. (Let alone an obvious one.) If we are willing to overlook this, we may find it interesting to see the gang go to the moon, Ancient Rome, etc.

Eventually, they meet their cyber doubles (who look pretty much like their characters from the original episodes). They learn that they must defeat the phantom virus to exit the video game. I'll admit that it was nice to see some monsters from the past (including the Creeper and the Tar Monster). As we approach the end, it is somewhat anti climactic as even a fool would have known who created the virus.

As I said, this movie is acceptable, but not great. Young children will probably like it, but the cutoff age may be surprisingly young. Thank goodness for better later efforts like "Legend of the Vampire," "Where's My Mummy?" and "Pirates Ahoy."
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse