Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Scooby-Doo! Pirates Ahoy!
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: DVD|Change
Price:$6.30+ $3.99 shipping

on September 26, 2006
Okay, I will completely admit that even as I approach the ripe, ol' age of 33, I've never let the little kid in me grow up. I'm still a huge Scooby fan who has every Scooby DVD out there and I still watch Scooby and the gang on a regular basis. So I was really stoked to hear that a new movie was coming out and scooped up a copy over the weekend.

Now that I've watched it, I can honestly say it's a pretty good Scooby flick, however adults who can't enjoy kid-friendly entertainment shouldn't apply. Pirates Ahoy sticks to the 'old' Scooby format of finding clues, setting traps and unmasking villains.

It was nice to see Fred's parents folded into the story line. Other than A Pup Named Scooby Doo, I don't ever remember seeing them in the regular shows. There aren't very many plot twists in Pirates Ahoy and the ones that do occur seem a little odd...like when the Billionaire with the Jet Pack lands on the ship...however none of them really detract from the story. Besides, you don't watch a Scooby cartoon expecting realism.

The movie is completely kid-friendly, no need to worry about adult themes, subjects, or even real monsters. If your little tyke loves Scooby, he/she will certainly love this film as well.
VINE VOICEon September 25, 2006
Scooby-Doo in Pirates Ahoy! is the silliest of the ten animated Scooby movies that I'm aware of since 1999. They're all pretty silly...deliberately...but they are usually quite entertaining--if not captivating--to children 3+...okay, and me too.

In an unofficial poll taken of my own kids ages 3 through 7, the results are in and Pirates is at the bottom. Here's the list, according to the experts, of the Scooby Doo animated movies that we...I mean...THEY liked the best:

1-Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost (1999)
2-Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island (1998)
3-Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders (2000)
4-Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase (2001)
5-Scooby-Doo and the Legend of the Vampire (2003)
6-Scooby-Doo and the Monster of Mexico (2003)
7-Aloha, Scooby-Doo (2005)
8-Scooby-Doo and the Loch Ness Monster (2004)
9-Scooby Doo in Where's My Mummy? (2005)
10-Scooby-Doo in Pirates Ahoy! (2006)

With the exceptions being switches of #1 & #2 and #7 & #8, the kids pretty much liked 'em best in the order that they came out. So let's hope that the pattern breaks in 2007! But for now, if your kids haven't seen any (or all) of the releases prior to Pirates, you might want to grab one to go along with, or in place of, this one.

Side note: Warner apparently got so many parent complaints about the first 4 films including "real monsters" (respectively: a real ghost, real zombies, real aliens and a computer virus that comes life) instead of villains in masks that starting in 2003 they abandoned the "real" idea.
on December 29, 2006
Giving you a brief rundown of where I stand, my favorites are (# 1) "Scooby Doo On Zombie Island," (# 2) "Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost," and (# 5) "Scooby Doo and the Legend of the Vampire." I consider (# 8) "Aloha Scooby Doo" and (# 9) "Where's My Mummy?" the healthy runnerups. I have respect for (# 7) "Loch Ness Monster." (# 6) "...Monster of Mexico" has its moments. I don't much care for (# 3) "...Alien Invasion" or (# 4) "...Cyber Chase." This 10th chapter is surprisingly good. Along with Fred's parents, Scooby Doo and the gang go on a cruise featuring entertainment mysteries. It all seems in good fun at first, but reality enters when the ship wrecked Rupert is rescued. (You'll probably notice that he has a resemblence to Johnny Depp.) One thing that will occur to most people is that in the event something does happen, the reality is our heroes are at sea, and escape will not be so readily available. Not much later, what appears to be a crew of ghost pirates appears. And even if we can readily suspect that they are just 'bad guys in masks,' the element of horror stays in tact when these pirates abduct Fred's parents. Fred cleverly avoids the cliche: "This time, it's personal." It is interesting that our favorite cowardly hero Scooby does not even demand any Scooby snacks before helping Fred try to find his parents. In fact, Scooby even gets disappointed with Shaggy for wanting the usual Scooby snack bribe. (Nice new element!) At the risk of over simplifying, Fred manages to find his father. But he is still weighed down with the emotional burden of trying to find his mother while also trying to figure out what the ghost pirates are up to. (Another nice new element!) Fred is no stranger to solving mysteries that are linked to criminal activity. BUT, this time he has to use a certain amount of care if he hopes to find his mother. And of course since they are at sea, there is no help to run to. Except for the gang, Fred is in fact on his own this time. If I say much more, I'll probably ruin the movie for those of you who haven't seen it. But I will say that while this 10th chapter of Scooby Doo brings back some elements from past episodes and movies, it ALSO adds new twists and elements. It is interesting that Hollywood seems to pour out more and more shoot em up filth, and yet this 10th chapter of Scooby Doo is able to hold our attention with Fred trying to save his parents. Thanks for the great movie Scooby, and I hope to see you in chapter 11 really soon!
on September 28, 2006
I am 34 and still love watching Scooby Doo. I love this one. It is definetly a keeper. It was nice to see Freddie's parents. The mystery cruise was a good idea. Scoopy and Shaggy thought they were getting a vacation. Once again no-way. I recommend any Scooby Doo fan to buy this movie. It is one I will watch over and over again. The graphics are great and the story line is fun.
on February 4, 2016
I grew up watching Scooby Doo, the original series, and then through all the re-boots they have done over the decades. People always complain about the re-boots never meeting their expectations and how the classics are better but I'm just glad Scooby Doo gets the opportunity to resurface throughout the years and not fade away into history. I'm in college now but I still love Scooby Doo and am finally getting to own all of the series and movies :)
on May 31, 2015
Another great not so obvious Scooby-Doo mystery to add to our ever growing collection. I like that this movie centers around a fake mystery then has a mystery. Scooby-Doo is beloved by four generation of my family starting with my 70+ year old grandmother. I love that when a new movie comes out my daughters can call their grandmother and great grandmother and talk about what they liked in the movie.
on July 22, 2016
Freddy's parents take the gang on a mystery cruise for his birthday, after solving the entire week's mysteries in two days, they get dragged into a ghost pirate ship mystery. This one is wonderful and just as enjoyable for the adults who still watch Scooby-Doo as it is for the kids just getting into it.
on July 30, 2015
My girls love Scooby-Doo! I purchased this for our road trip and downloaded it to their kindles so they could watch it as we traveled. I am sure they could recite most of the words they watched it so many times. This is a great cartoon and they loved it.
on March 14, 2014
This is one of our favorite "newer" Scooby Doo movies. The music alone is pretty cool in the beginning. You feel like you are about to watch a pretty cool movie! In the beginning of the movie you see that there is a ship that enters the Bermuda Triangle but of course its "just myths", until the creepy pirates aboard the ship. You will enjoy watching the gang solve this mystery and the idea of the mystery cruise and references to past Scooby moments when I was growing up was worth it. I definitely recommend this Scooby movie to your Scooby collection!
on August 8, 2010
I wasn't so keen on watching this Scooby adventure as it has the shortest running time of all of them so far and I figured that it couldn't possibly have a substantial mystery worth taking an interest in.

And while that's true for the most part, they do make a huge effort to keep the viewer guessing by throwing in lots of distractions, more so than any other Scooby adventure. And despite it's brief running time it does manage pack in a fair amount of characters and guest voices, so in a sense they give more AND less.

The Mystery Inc. gang head off on a tropical cruise for Fred's birthday but things turn sinister when they pick-up a drifter floating in the water. No one believes his tale of ghost pirates (they're on a "mystery cruise" and are becoming quite jaded to the novelty), but only when said pirates show up do they gradually accept that it's real.

There's a few more in-jokes than normal in this one too. And while I usually hate in-jokes it's forgivable, and perhaps welcome, in a Scooby-Doo mystery. I am aware that the infamous Bermuda Triangle was the focus of a lower-wattage mystery in the third season of Scooby-Doo back in the early 70s, but this one is considerably better.

It looses points for being short, but it's still a worthy mystery.