Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

Size: 8-Inches|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

VINE VOICEon May 24, 2010
Size: 8-Inches|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
3M's version of the modern polymer handle, stainless steel blade scissors (a type popularized by Fiskars) appears to be a real winner. The handle is very comfortable to use, the blades are honed to a high standard and they cut beautifully. I noticed several features which are different from some of the bargain scissors of this type: First, the metal used to form the blade continues on inside the plastic handles well up into the finger hole areas. This bodes well for long term durability. Second, the working surfaces of the handles are a soft-touch polymer which reduces finger strain while cutting heavier materials. Finally, the hinge point includes an adjustable slotted screw which should allow a person to keep using these for a long time as it will be possible to adjust for wear.

Once again, 3M does an excellent job on a basic office product.
22 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2016
I primarily ordered these scissors to cut out PDF patterns; however, I have also used them to cut fabric and thread and they have worked just fine. They are easy to open and they close completely. They are light weight and easy to handle and so far cut at the tips.
I find these scissors very comfortable to hold and use in my left hand. As it says about these scissors at the Scotch Brand website: "Soft comfort grip handle designed for left- or right-handed use." The red part of the "comfort grip handle" has a rubbery feel, and is indeed soft and comfortable.

I tested the self-adjusting tension screw by tightening and loosening it, setting it to several different positions,then using the scissors to see if the position would hold. It did. It seems like a well-machined screw and even slight adjustments made noticeable differences in the tension.

The scissors cut through a double thickness of an old heavy cotton t-shirt that I use as a rag like a warm knife through butter. The tang of each of the scissors' blades extend into the handle, and the stainless steel blades appear to be strong and good quality. They are sharp and, no doubt as a safety feature, they are not pointy at the tips.

They are warrantied to be "free from defects in material and manufacture for a lifetime," and their quality appears to be such that it's easy to see why 3M would have no problem offering this limited lifetime warranty.

These will now be my "go to" scissors for preparing packages for shipping (which for me typically involves cutting Kraft paper and bubble wrap and trimming cardboard), and for cutting paper and card stock. (I have little occasion to cut fabric but I imagine they'd be good for that and cutting fabric is one of Scotch's recommended uses for these scissors.)

I have the 8" long pair, the longest in this particular line of Scotch Precision Scissors. The length is from the blade tips to the end of the longer handle, and is actually just under 8 1/2". The working length of the blades themselves is about 3 14/16" (i.e., just over 3 3/4").
I received a pair of both these precision scissors and the Scotch Precision Ultra Edge Non Stick Scissor, 8-Inch, Brown with Assorted Accent Colors (Dot Color Will Vary) (1468TUNS-MIX). There also is a precision ultra that is not non-stick that I have not tried. Both of the ones I have are the 8 inch versions. I decided to combine the two reviews into one review so you could see a comparison and decide if precision ultra non-stick are worth the extra moolah.

First of all, I do have one complaint. I'm wear mens medium sized gloves and the finger hole isn't big enough for all 4 fingers. I think I can fit 3 fingers in the hole comfortably, but sometimes I've only put two fingers in the hole. They make scissors of all sizes for all hands so I don't feel that it's worth a loss of a star, but I was disappointed that the larger 8" scissors has this size finger hole. Even if I have two or three fingers in the hole, the scissors work fine.

Both the precision and the precision ultra non-stick scissors seem exceptionally well made. Just looking at the scissors, they are exactly the same shape and size but are different colors. Both are unisex. I'm left handed and have had no issues with these scissors.

But even "cutting air", you can feel and hear the difference the two. The ultra non-stick scissors almost feel loose because the open and cut so easy. But the non-stick scissors are not loose--there just is less friction because of the non-stick surface. The non-stick scissors even make less of the shssk-shssk noise! So if you're doing a lot of cutting, I think the precision ultra non-stick are worth the extra money. The nonstick does translate to a smoother easier cut (especially makes curves easier and smoother). I didn't really notice a difference cutting regular paper, but I totally noticed cutting card stock and cardboard. Also the non-stick ones are easy to clean if gummed up by tape or glue residue where these precision regular scissors seem like they would be hard to clean.

Now these regular precision (non non-stick) are a great pair of scissors. The regular precision scissors seem just as strong and well made. So if you're in a situation where you're buying a lot of scissors, cutting only once in a while, or using them in a place where they're going to get stolen/lost--by all means go for the cheaper regular precision! They seem like they have a sharp stainless steel edge that will last a long time!

Also the gray and red of the regular precision is much prettier than the fugly brown and white ultra non-stick. I understand the the non-stick version is brown to match the titanium fused non-stick blade, but I would have much preferred blue and white handles to match the blue dot on mine. Also, after only a day's use, the white on the non-stick scissors is already looking a little grungy.

So is the titanium fused of the precision ultra non-stick better than the stainless steel of the precision? I have no idea. Perhaps the fused titanium of the ultra non-stick is also part of the reason they cut so easily. But I don't think I'll be able to see a difference in how well the two scissors hold a sharp edge for years. They both have very sharp edges!

So these both are great scissors, especially for the price. I would definitely suggest them.

The packaging does say "made in China".
I did a comparison between the Scotch Precision scissors and a no name pair without a rubberized handle. Here are a few pros and cons to consider as you search out a pair of perfect scissors for your project. This particular pair of scissors is suited best fabrics and heavier card stock. The scissors do what they promise, they have a smooth cutting action, razor sharp blades and they look exceptionally cool with their two tone color. They are scissors and they do what they are supposed to do: CUT. They feel the same in the left hand as they do in the right hand. I felt no favoring.

Here's my main concern though. The "comfort grip" handle is soft and appears to be made of silicone. I found that as I was using these scissors for more than a few minutes I ended up with blisters. My dexterity is a little challenged because of MS and this could have caused a tighter grip on the scissors. I DID however use a pair or more generic scissors with a plastic grip and did not have the same issue with blisters.

The main reason for 4 stars is because I think the handle might cause a larger hand that rubs against the grip surfaces to get blisters. That makes for a hard time going the distance. For little jobs, these are awesome. If you have a larger project that requires a lot of cutting, you may want to tape your hands first :)
These scissors work very well.

Without a doubt, the single best feature of this is the adjustable screw. You know how so many scissors end their usable life, not being able to cut a piece of paper. This is the feature that separates this pair of scissors from so many others.

Overall, the scissors works smoothly, be it on paper or fabric. The quality is excellent.

The handle is a "soft touch" - the red gives a little, while the grey is hard. The importance of this is that it can spread the pressure over a greater surface area of your hand, reducing fatigue. This makes it much more ergonomic, however, in long term use it will tend to wear a bit worse than a harder material. These are tradeoffs of course, and you can expect a few years of good use out of them before having to worry about this.

My only slight disappointment was that the package merely stated "finest quality stainless steel". I would have liked to know
what kind of steel they used, as there are many kinds of steel which are the "finest" at what they do for different reasons.

You should note that this is not their best all-purpose scissor. You are not supposed to cut things that have adhesives (tape or glue). The advertised inability to be used on tape is due to the fact that the adhesives collect on the blades and can ruin them.

If you need to cut tape or glue, then you must go for their top-of-the-line titanium coated Scotch Precision Ultra Edge Non Stick Scissor, 8-Inch, Brown with Assorted Accent Colors (Dot Color Will Vary) (1468TUNS-MIX).

Overall, an impressive product from a world class company. And the value is fantastic if you are an Amazon Prime member - its cheaper than going to the store to get it...
VINE VOICEon May 27, 2010
Comparing the Scotch Precision Scissor to two others on my desk. Westcott KleenEarth (for about twice the price, also made in China) and J.A. Henckels (about four times the price, made in Germany).

For me with scissors, two dimensions to evaluate: (1) how they cut and (2) how they feel while cutting. I tried the three pairs with one, two, and four sheets of paper. All three provided straight crisp cuts, but felt quite different. The Westcott always feels "grainy" - as you cut, you can feel the blades rasping against each other; glancing at the blades, the machining of the surface has more visible swirls and has a rougher surface than the Scotch or Henckels. The Westcott also starts to bog down at four sheets - effort is high especially nearing the the tip, while the Scotch and Henckels shear away happily. Even with four sheets, the Scotch is smooth and lower effort; comparable to the J.A. Henckels. The Scotch and Henckels are also comparable that they have an adjustment screw/pivot - to adjust the tension. I've hardly ever seen adjustment screws on inexpensive scissors, which is especially welcome as pivots tend to loosen with use/age.

So overall, features and performance similar to a product costing four times as much. A pretty good value.
on May 26, 2010
It is harder than you think to find a pair of scissors that a left handed person can use comfortably and accurately. It might have to do with the way we grip or hold things or they are geared more towards right handed people, I am not sure. I was able to use these scissors easily and without problems. One note one of the grips is a smaller hole if you have super large fingers your thumb might not fit but I would think this would be in cases where you have a very very large hand.

The scissors are super light and grips are quite comfortable. They are rubber grip so they shouldn't slip. You can cut fabric and card stock which I did. The only thing you shouldn't cut is glue or tape things that will ruin your scissors.

These are pretty decent all around scisscors. Not the top of the line craft scissors or sharpest scissors but they will get the job done.
These scissors are very nicely made, and I love that you can adjust the tension. They are probably the best scissors I've used in this price range. They are light and easy to use, the handle is comfortable.
My whole family is left-handed, and these are easy to use that way, I don't use scissors on cardstock that I use on fabric so to try these out I cut out a bunch of leaves from green craft felt. Craft felt doesn't cut cleanly unless the scissors are very sharp and these did a very nice job, better than I expected. They also did a good job on a silky synthetic fabric.
They won't replace my good scissors for cutting fabric, but they are an excellent spare pair and a great option for my daughter who does a lot of sewing but frequently uses the same scissors for cutting paper as cutting fabric. I'll probably recommend them to my husband as well.
I am left-handed and sometimes have trouble with scissors etc. being more geared toward the majority right-hand users. Scotch making a pair of scissors equally usable with the right or the left hand is definitely good for me. That said, there is more to like:

These scissors are light-weight and well-balanced, meaning my hand is not getting tired when using them. I especially like the contoured, rubberized handle which makes for much better handling and control. They cut well and also work for more tedious cutting jobs such as doing tiny cut-outs - these turn out very precise. I have not used these scissors with anything else but paper but so far really like the performance. The adjustable screw is an added bonus in case the blades should loosen over time. All in all a great buy where one can't go wrong.